student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Conviction Overturned

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lokesh is the SODDI for Mr. Altman.

Altman now closing with playing the police interview video of Dharun Ravi...perhaps trying to take the PT sting out of it?

I think Ravi is a very dangerous person.

This is the 3rd time I've seen this video, and it is simply mind boggling & frightning to watch Ravi act and speak to these two LE like he has done nothing wrong. IMO - thats not normal.

I get it that some people don't like to get caught and will lie to LE, but the ease that Ravi does it is scary.

He does not act like the 18 year old "boy" Mr Altman is trying to portray him as.

I think Ravi is a very dangerous person.

This is the 3rd time I've seen this video, and it is simply mind boggling & frightning to watch Ravi act and speak to these two LE like he has done nothing wrong. IMO - thats not normal.

I get it that some people don't like to get caught and will lie to LE, but the ease that Ravi does it is scary.

He does not act like the 18 year old "boy" Mr Altman is trying to portray him as.

Totally agree. During the trial he has been nothing but bored and put out. He is one calculating person. I hope the jurors see through this also.

I'm glad that Mr Altman feels better and was able to continue.

Altman is going over the time line for this case, and its a bit hard for me to follow him. My short summary so far: its everybody elses fault except Ravi.

From Mr Altman earlier today:
"Who is that guy, my ipad in there and if its missing when I get back Tyler's gonna pay"
"Who is this guy, why is he in my room and why am I shut out"
"Ravi is an 18 years old, on his own for the 1st time in his life"

"Ravi only set up the ichat the first time to check on his valuables. The second time was just a joke, and that Ravi halted it by putting his computer to hibernation (asleep)."

Shut out? This lawyer has been to college - this happens all the time..at least Tyler asked. My one friend would come back to his dorm room and if that tack was in there, he didn't even have a chance to make other arrangements.

If he was so worried about his stuff, why not take your ipad with you? not as if it's not portable. :eek:hoh:

I agree with you guys on Ravi being calculating and off and disturbing how easy it seems for him to lie to detectives. I can't imagine he's that dumb to think they wouldn't know he deleted things and tried such a cover up.

Defense is done - break then they resume around 3:15 with the Prosecution up.

Altman spoke for about a minute after the taped statement was done playing, very lackluster. 10 minute recess then the state is up.

The Prosecutor talks fast - snipplets of her statement

On the 19th Tyler asked for room till midnight and Ravi said ok.

The defendants claim that he wanted to ensure his ipad was safe is a pretext

Ravi set the camera up for auto accept and then went to Mollys room to watch

Ravi claims he was "so shocked" by what he saw but what did he do 4 minutes later? he sent this tweet to his friends group - Roommate asked for room till midnight, saw him making out with a dude YEAH

On Tues 21st - Tyler asks Ravi for room via text and Ravi replies ok

What does Ravi do next - he sends another tweet out to his group - Anyone with iChat, I dare you to video chat me between the hours of 9:30 p.m. and 12. Yes it's happening again

Ravi say he never set up the camera to stream and that he set it to hibernation/shut it off – the real reason that nothing was streamed is:

Tyler shut off Ravi’s computer at 9:27, once he saw Ravi’s tweet about its happening again.

The defendant was not in the dorm hall – he was at Frisbee practice till 11 pm, then the dining hall till 11:17 (Ravi card swipe)

Ravi texted Tyler at 11:04 – still need the room?

The defendant did not shut down that computer – the defendant did not say "I had a change of heart and I shut it down".

Lokesh told Ravi that when clicked on the ichat that he got an error message – what did Ravi say to Lokesh – “lot of people have been telling me that” – Ravi did not say "I shut it down"

Why? Ravi did not know that Tyler had shut off his computer. We know what time it was shut down via the netflow data.

The defendant now knows that Tyler knows what he’s done. When the officer does a wellness check on Tyler and who is in the room - the defendant. He asks Ravi do you have any info? The one thing that Ravi tells the officer - I remember that on the 19th that Tyler had an older creepy guy over.

Totally agree. During the trial he has been nothing but bored and put out. He is one calculating person. I hope the jurors see through this also.

I have seen that kind of behavior before. Typical psychopath.

Even though Ravi knows that Molly is with now the police, he is undeterred and has the audacity to still text her – what is the significance of these texts?

Did you tell them we did it on purpose? I(Ravi) said we were just messing around with the cameras

This is his 1st attempt to get Molly to give the police false information

Did you say anything about Tuesday? I told them I turned off my computer that day – the 2nd attempt to get Molly to give police false information

Ravi states that rumors got started - how did they start? Through Ravi- via his texts, his tweets, by him going around the dorms and Frisbee practice to tell anyone he could.

Pros just finished, awesome closing. As soon as she finished, Altman requested sidebar asap.

This post and those above are the results of my fast, but bad, typing and are in no way implied to be anywhere near 100 % correct, and is only snipplets of what the Prosector said in her closing - I did the best I could.

She, on the other hand, was excellent.

cont...

There was no other reason for these events to happen other than to expose their sexual orientation and sexual activities.

The defendant was not happy about that - you don’t need to hear words – “He did it because he did not like gays” Listen to the judge; he will explain what the State had to prove

What did his actions prove? The fact that he was targeting his roommate – because it was not what he wanted his college experience to be, he did not want a gay roommate, he was going to use it to his advantage and expose Tyler’s sexual orientation.

Read all of his text messages, and the words and thoughts they contain.

All of the text messages, 55 messages were deleted between he and Michelle Wong, 31 text messages between Molly Wei - when she was with the police. 86 messages were deleted by Ravi before he gave his cell phone to the police.

Look at the evidence, the tweets, the text messages, in the form of net flow data, the cell phone records

While the words are extremely important – the actions are even more important, those acts should speak loud and clear to you about the events when Tyler and MB had their privacy invaded by Ravi's actions - all set up by him, all with a motivation to expose Tyler and MB, and treat them differently. Purposely, knowingly targeting them for invasion of privacy due to their sexual orientations

There was not one thing that could clarify this as a petty misunderstanding. Look at all of the overlapping events – the cover-up – guilt for the actions he did, that he attempted - and I ask that you hold him accountable for his actions and his words.

The State rests

Adjourning, will read the law tomorrow at 9am for about 90 mins then send them to deliberate.

I noticed that Ravi paid much more attention to this classic closing. He didn't smirk when it was over, either.

Did you notice Ravi wore a pink shirt today? Gee, do you think that was intentional? Nah, no way (insert sarcasm).

I was hoping the prosecutor would have spoken with more passion in her closing.

Is there a place I can watch the closing arguments (like we had with WRAL for the Jason Young trial)? :)

NJ 12 is a small local station, I dont know if they will post it. I guess it will most likely end up on youtube or abc.com.

I noticed that Ravi paid much more attention to this classic closing. He didn't smirk when it was over, either.

it's about time he got the smirk wiped off his face...

I wonder if he's regretting not taking the plea deal...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back