Support Thread: Detective Yuri Melich

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hope you heal quickly, YURI. Caylee needs you back to figure out what happened to her.

I hope you are having a great day, Melich! Don't try to overdo it because you may be feeling better. You are going to be so tempted as the days go on now. One wrong slip of the crutch and you are down for additional time. ;) Don't ask me how I know this one...LOL

Hope today is a wonderful healing one for you....we need you and your fine work on this case......and above all, Caylee needs you.

Hmm... good question. I guess the short answer is in general, I try not to take the cases personally. I remember that my job is to collect and present the facts and it's someone else's job to determine whether the facts are enough and what the punishment should be. Have there been outcomes I don't agree with? Sure. The best I can do with those is learn from them and make future cases stronger. Hope that answers the question. It's a hard one to pin down.

Thank you for the insight. Mind another one? What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? Aside from the obvious such as finding a missing child safe vs. breaking tragic news to family members.

Just that alone, no. Children are classified as anyone under 18. Perhaps you're meaning under say 11? Then maybe if the agency has enough resources to work the case. A true missing persons investigation is akin to a murder investigation without a body. At least in a homicide, you have a last known location and possible evidence to be found. Heck, the "george orwell" side of me says to allow parents to install a GPS chip free of charge on their child until their 18th birthday when they can then choose to have it removed. I'll probably get some big brother heat about that but it is my opinion. ;)

That is so funny, only because I wrote a long detailed post about installing GPS at birth; and flashing lights and arrows, setting off 'pings' etc when activated by LE! I tried to post twice and both times malfunctioned, so I gave up and decided it was probably just as well, it was a little 'out there'.:) Nice to know I'm not out there alone.:highfive:

I just went back and read the initial interview of Casey that was done at Universal. I think Yuri and Det. Allen need some high praise for keeping their cool... Casey was all over the place.. her answers were so strange! And they had such patience with her! I would have lost my temper real quick.
Det. Melich: You guys are awesome! THIS is why I have such faith in LE.. most of the time they get it right!

I just went back and read the initial interview of Casey that was done at Universal. I think Yuri and Det. Allen need some high praise for keeping their cool... Casey was all over the place.. her answers were so strange! And they had such patience with her! I would have lost my temper real quick.
Det. Melich: You guys are awesome! THIS is why I have such faith in LE.. most of the time they get it right!
Very well said, TxLady2. I have never lost faith. I know how long it can take to dot Is and cross Ts. LE has my deepest respect! :clap:
(P.S. to Detective Yuri--can't wait to hear your answer to dreamfeather's question.)

Hope you are healing well, Det Yuri - praying for you & yours!!!

:Banane10:

I second that!!! Get well & here's to a job well done thus far.
Thank you & your team for all you do, day in & day out. We DO appreciate all of you.
For what it's worth, I am also at home on a work injury.

Blessings to you and yours for enduring the world's ills- Health Prosperity and Protection coming to you all the way from Honolulu Hawaii!

Great job Yuri and Team!

Dear Yuri (please forgive the familiarity -- it's just that I think we all feel like we know you!),

First and foremost, thanks. For being, for being you, for doing your job and the way you are doing it. I have the utmost respect and confidence in the entire OCSO, but especially you. One of the things that has frustrated me the most on our board is the people who keep saying, 'if LE had proof, she'd be in jail,' 'she hasn't been charged, so she must be innocent,' that kinda crap. If you've read any of the other threads, I'm sure you've seen it too. I'm pretty quick to jump in and support you and LE and remind them that you guys are doing your jobs, in my opinion the right way, and are working toward finality. Keep up the good work!

Now, what I really want to know is this: What skill test were you doing when you dumped your bike? I've only been riding 2-1/2 years, a newbie still, and have dumped my Softtail Classic once. Fortunately, no harm, no foul. Someone we were riding with cut me off in a turn. (He hasn't ridden with us since.) I hope you continue to heal and that it won't be long 'til you're back on your bike. Ride safe.

My goodness sir.
I have to tell you, I am in the process of going through the interview transcripts and cull places, dates, times and people that Casey was with and I have to give you and all of your team Kudos. By the time I get through all of the Uhms and Ahs and the stumbling back and forth and changing from this to that I can hardly remember what the devil I was trying to nail down in the first place. They can't put more than a few words together and don't seem to be able complete a thought. I'm exasperated just reading it so can only image how you must feel doing this in person and trying to get some solid information from these witnesses.
How you don't end up slapping them up side the head to get them to focus is beyond me.

Your patience is to be commended.

Respectfully,
Shadow

Det. Melich, I hope you get better soon. Prayers are with you daily for a speedy recovery.

Thank you for the insight. Mind another one? What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job? Aside from the obvious such as finding a missing child safe vs. breaking tragic news to family members.

There are alot of good and bad things about my job. If I had to pick one, I'd say the best part is identifying and arresting a suspect in a who-done-it murder and telling the victim's familiy of the arrest. The worst is what you mentioned above, making notificiation to a family of a loved ones passing. Well, that and breaking your leg in a training excercise....

Now, what I really want to know is this: What skill test were you doing when you dumped your bike? I've only been riding 2-1/2 years, a newbie still, and have dumped my Softtail Classic once. Fortunately, no harm, no foul. Someone we were riding with cut me off in a turn. (He hasn't ridden with us since.) I hope you continue to heal and that it won't be long 'til you're back on your bike. Ride safe.

Well, it was a profeciency excercise on the police motor, which is an '08 Road King. The course was designed as an on road/off road course with the off road consisting of hills, sugar sand and the like. The road course is the typical police motors course with slow speed maneuvers. I ran the course the first time out with no problems, which impressed the heck out of me. I went to run it again and on the first off road obstacle, the back end of the bike started to kick out and I put my left foot down. I don't remember doing this, but with the injury, it's rather obvious now. This is something we're trained not to do since your foot can get caught under the saddle bag and sucked under. Well, i'm here to tell you that that does indeed happen so here I am.

Good Morning Mr. Melich,

Last night when Nancy Grace announced that KC was now a 'suspect' and not just a person of interest- I thought of you!!

I hope when the day comes & she is arrested and YOU will be there. I don't care if you are on crutches or they wheel you up to the door in a wheel chair -- but I want you to have the satisfaction of taking her down.

No need to comment - I just wanted to share.

Well, it was a profeciency excercise on the police motor, which is an '08 Road King. The course was designed as an on road/off road course with the off road consisting of hills, sugar sand and the like. The road course is the typical police motors course with slow speed maneuvers. I ran the course the first time out with no problems, which impressed the heck out of me. I went to run it again and on the first off road obstacle, the back end of the bike started to kick out and I put my left foot down. I don't remember doing this, but with the injury, it's rather obvious now. This is something we're trained not to do since your foot can get caught under the saddle bag and sucked under. Well, i'm here to tell you that that does indeed happen so here I am.

Thank you for sharing. I am the one who told you that my son is also a detective with the sheriff's dept. here. Several years ago, they assigned him to the horse patrol... riding in parades, looking for missing people in the woods, etc. He had not been on a horse in years, and had only ridden a few times when he was about 14. Well, first time out, during training to let he and his horse get to know each other, the horse threw him!!! He didn't suffer any injuries except some bruises, both to his body and his ego! This lasted about a year, and he was glad to get off that and go back to driving a car!

Good cop/bad cop.......I get the impression you were the bad cop, Det. Melich.
I mucho agree with the poster who says I'd pee my pants and confess. To ANYTHING.

:)

Thank you for all the hard work you have done for little Caylee. Every day I pray for justice to be served in this case. It's nice to know you drop in here; there are some great threads with lots of ideas to think about. I'm looking forward to hearing your comments when the case is over. That will be AWESOME!!

I hope you heal quickly, and don't get too bored sitting around the house. My son is recovering from two broken arms he got in Iraq, and if you're like him I'm sure you have some frustrating moments. Injuries are NOT fun for guys who are used to being active!! While it's nice to have you here, I'd rather have you on the job. :) Thanks again for all you do, and I'm glad you weren't injured more seriously!!

So,,,did you pass? LOL
Prayers for speedy recovery

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13