Susan G. Komen charity pulls grants

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I said it was my opinion a few posts above. Why do I have to provide you with information backing up my opinion? Will it change your opinion? No. So why would I bother.

If you choose to believe that SGK is out there looking for a cure and helping people, but being choosy about who they will fund and what kind of research should/should not be done, then knock yourself out.

I refuse to believe it's necessary to spend $47,990,139 on FUNDRAISING and another $27,253,266 on administrative costs (with over $4 million in salaries and benefits alone). That's $75,243,405 the "charity" sucks up all by itself.

And that information comes from their own financial statement for year ending 03/31/2011, page 5:

http://ww5.komen.org/uploadedFiles/.../2011 Komen Financial Statements FINAL(3).pdf

It also says how much they give in research grants and how much they give for free screening. That's over 80%.

I know the numbers seem big if you look at dollar amounts, but it's not that big considering they take in almost $400,000,000.00 per year!

They have become an enterprise, one stone's throw away from an evil enterprise, whose priorities are very skewed. They are all about making money to line their own pockets.

They tried to take legal action against a bunch of random people for using the phrase "for the cure" and some even had the audacity to use a pink theme. Oh the horror!!!! SGK was afraid that their market-share would be impacted negatively and they felt the need to protect their brand. Give me a break!! If they cared about finding a cure for cancer, they wouldn't take legal action for someone having a "Kites for the Cure." And just to be clear, Kites for a Cure was a small family fundraiser for LUNG cancer!! There were over a hundred little fundraisers that SGK sent their lawyers after. There is a lot of info about the legal actions taken, but here is an easy to read, short article that sums it up pretty well--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/komen-foundation-charities-cure_n_793176.html

And I do not believe for a second SGK backed away from PP because of an investigation of misuse of funds. As animlzrule stated above me, this is about pushing right-wing political beliefs onto other people. You don't believe in abortion? That's great-- don't get one!!!!

Their financial statements are public and they do not reflect lining their pockets.

What they reflect is they put close to $300 million towards research and for medical tests per year.

They have put almost $2 billion towards research and medical screening in the past 25 years.

Are there people who get paid? YES
It keeps the foundation going.

Snipped to include your link.

From your link, here is the expense section of their financial report..

a6890e98-8333-2f56.jpg

Look at all the money that went toward research. Look at all the money that went to education, screening, and treatment.

SGK is fighting for women. They are fighting for a cure.

IMO just because they removed their grants from PP, does not mean they are bad or that they do not save a ton if lives.

In one of your previous posts, you said they should be spending money on research instead of administrative costs.

:waitasec:

The administrative costs are VERY minimal for what they provide to women.

SGK only gave PP under $700,000 last year.

So it's not like that's a huge donation for a "charity" like PP who gets a ton of money from the tax payers.

So, those who think SGK is "ruining" the lives of poor women are just wrong.

How far does $700,000 go on screening and treatment?

So, I think those who are bashing SGK (a real charity) because they no longer give grants to PP, should send your checks to PP.

I'll continue to send mine to SGK, they are making a HUGE difference.
Just last year alone, they funded over 700,000 free mammos.
Since they started like 25 years ago, they have spent over $2 billion on breast cancer research, screenings, and treatment.
The fact that they have paid employees does not bother me in the LEAST.

PP gets my money, I have no choice in the matter. But, I think they are corrupt and dangerous.
JMO

As I have said before, google Planned Parenthood Fraud. You may be shocked at where THEY spend their money.

JUST A FEW:

Planned Parenthood Exposed in Mammogram Fraudhttp:///tipsheet/elisabethmeinecke/2011/03/30/planned_parenthood_exposed_in_mammogram_fraud

Planned Parenthood Accused of Massive Medicaid Fraud in Texashttp://www.lifenews.com/2011/11/03/planned-parenthood-accused-of-massive-medicaid-fraud-in-texas/

Planned Parenthood: What about the fraud?
California: A 2004 audit found that Planned Parenthood of San Diego and Riverside counties overcharged the government $5,213,645.92 for oral contraceptives. Planned Parenthood was supposed to charge the government the at-cost price for the pills. Instead, it charged a much higher price.

c New York: A 2008 federal audit of state family planning claims resulted in a finding that the State of New York had overbilled the federal government $17,151,156 by claiming procedures as “family planning” services when they were not. The federal audit report noted, “Officials at Planned Parenthood providers stated that they believed that nearly all the services they provide are related to family planning. However, the medical review determined that the providers improperly claimed, for example, services to pregnant women, treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, and counseling visits unrelated to family planning services.”

c New Jersey: In 2008, the federal government conducted an audit of New Jersey and published a report titled, “ReviewofOutpatientMedicaidClaimsBilledasFamilyPlanningbyNewJersey,” which showed the state had overcharged the federal government $597,496. In the “Causes of Overpayment” section, the report states: “During our visits to family planning clinics throughout the State, many providers (especially Planned Parenthood providers) stated that they billed all claims to Medicaid as “family planning.” Officials at these clinics stated that they believed that all of the services they provided were related to family planning. Therefore, officials at these clinics often populated the family planning indicator field on Medicaid claims even though the service provided did not meet the criteria for 90-percent federal funding. By populating this field, [they] designated the claim as eligible for 90-percent federal funding.”

c Washington: A 2009 audit found Planned Parenthood of the Inland Northwest overcharged the government $629,142.88. The audit found Planned Parenthood was charging excessive amounts for contraceptives and distributed and charged for prescription medication without having a valid prescription.

c New York City: A 2009 Medicaid audit determined that Planned Parenthood’s Margaret Sanger Center was found to have overcharged Medicaid $1,254,603, which included billing for services provided to patients who were enrolled in a health care provider HMO network.

Millions of dollars were overbilled and the federal government wants to keep giving Planned Parenthood our money.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/3/planned-parenthood-what-about-the-fraud/

Court Reinstates Planned Parenthood Fraud Suit

The 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in California has re-instated a fraud case against Planned Parenthood.

The decision revives a 2005 lawsuit by former Planned Parenthood employee P. Victor Gonzalez alleging the clinic over-charged the state and federal governments for re-imbursement of birth control drug costs to the tune of $180 million.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2010/July/Court-Reinstates-Planned-Parenthood-Fraud-Suit/

Planned Parenthood Accused of Massive Fraud

In a case now pending in federal court P. Victor Gonzalez alleges that he saw millions in fraudulent overbilling to state and federal governments when he worked as Chief Financial Officer for Planned Parenthood of Los Angeles.

Gonzalez alleges that after he reported the problems internally he was fired. While Gonzalez was still working for PPLA the state of California launched audits of various Planned Parenthood affiliates, and uncovered more than $5.2 million in overbilling at a single affiliate based in San Diego. Gonzalez claims that Planned Parenthood lobbyists intervened to stop other audits that were still pending statewide.

In his court filings, Gonzalez has outlined several transactions he alleges show illegal activity. For example, in one year Gonzalez says PPLA paid $225,695.65 for Ortho Tri-Cyclen birth control pills, yet billed the government $918,084 - for a profit of $692,388.35.

http://nation.foxnews.com/justice/2010/09/10/planned-parenthood-accused-massive-fraud

Planned Parenthood of the Inland Northwest will pay the state $345,000 after settling a 2009 audit that uncovered the clinic used incorrect codes and provided insufficient documentation for some claims billed to Medicaid.

The original audit finding estimated the Spokane family-planning organization improperly billed Medicaid more than $629,000 for 333 patient procedures from March 2004 through February 2007...

Planned Parenthood appealed and a compromise was reached with the state “without any admission of incorrect billing, documentation of payment,” according the Department of Social and Health Services.

http://www.creativeminorityreport.com/2010/10/planned-parenthood-fraud.html

The manager was videotaped covertly in a clinic in Perth Amboy, N.J., by actors working for an anti-abortion group, Live Action. The manager gave advice on how to get medical care for under-age prostitutes. The tape’s release on Tuesday embarrassed Planned Parenthood, which provides contraceptives, gynecological care, cancer screening and abortions across the country, mainly to low-income women.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/us/03parenthood.html?_r=1

Our tax dollars paid THIS MAN's salary. Disgusting!!!

Pimp: OK, Uhh so, we’re involved in sex work, alright, and there are some girls that we manage, that uh we’re not quite sure if I got it from one of them..

PP: OK

…Pimp: Now the thing is, um, okay, so some of ‘em are like, eh, some of ‘em are young, they’re kind of like, something like 15, 14, and then some of them don’t speak any English.

PP: Uh, huh, ok

Pimp: You know, cause they’re not even from here, so it’s like — how can they come in here? Cause it’s like, they don’t always feel comfortable coming into facilities.

PP: One, minors are always accepted without parental consent.

Pimp: Ok, ok

PP: The only thing you do have to be careful is if they are minor, we are obligated, if we hear any certain information…

…PP: Yeah- 14, you know once they get to 15, then there’s a little bit more play room. So as long as they just lie and say, “Oh, he’s 15, 16….you know, as long as they don’t say 14, and as long as it’s not too much of an age gap, then we just kind of like, we just kind of play with it a little bit.

…Pimp: What if they need an abortion though?

PP: Oh, that’s a com- that’s a completely different story now. No, no, now this is more -[crosstalk] If they come in for pregnancy testing — um, ****, at that point it still needs to be, you never got this from me, just to make all of our lives easier.

Pimp: OK

PP: If they’re 14 and under [circles clinic paper] just send them right there if they need an abortion, ok? [laughter]

Pimp: This is the spot? Okay!

Prostitute: Ok, will they ask questions or anything… will they need ID or something?

PP: They won’t need ID, them, they’re gonna be a little bit more different, but their protocols aren’t as strict as ours, and they don’t get audited the same way that we do, like with the [inaudible] (children?)

…PP: Trust me, like; I use this like my Bible. [laughter, in audible] You get so many parents, [inaudible], I mean I understand where they’re coming from, but they’re like, “Oh, but she’s a minor” – ok, yeah, so? [laughter]

Prostitute: Yeah, but they still need to be seen

Pimp: Yeah, you know.

PP: exactly, you know she’s still entitled to care without mom knowing what the hell’s going on,

PP: Yeah, you know, and I’m the office manager here, so if you guys have any questions, just let me know. So for the most part, I’m usually the one doing most of the interviewing before they go back to the exam room.

Prostitute: Ok, great

…Prostitute: And then, question, if it comes down that they do need an abortion, how long till they can be sexually active again?

PP: Aaaaoh, minimum two weeks, minimum two weeks.

Prostitute: Do you have any suggestions about what they could do in that time, like, cause they still need to work?

PP: Yeah, um, waist up.

…PP: Waist up or just be that extra action walking by. Because then they’re at more risk for infection, and you don’t want to do that. So, and they can’t even wear tampons during that time period, so, yeah -

…PP: Exactly, and you just kind of, so the whole thing is with me we already know, I see you, we already know we’re gonna kind of alter the story and kinda see what we can do to kinda tweak information.

…Pimp: We might just need to uh, is there any way we could stream line this? Like, holla at you, slide you a little, you know, and you can just get em streamlined -

PP: We can solve – Depending on what the situation is, we might be able to do that.

Pimp: We could slide you like a $100, to just like uh, help us.

PP: And exactly, and then, I’m sure you guys are going to have a decent amount of money -

Pimp: Yeah, yeah -

PP: And the nurse practitioner will be like, said she’s stupid, but you know, at some point she’s going to be like “That car looks pretty ****ing nice!”

Pimp: Yeah, I mean we could make this work for the both of us, I mean it’s like, I mean if you could fill out a number -

PP: Do, let me just find a pen…

http://www.redstate.com/jerry39/201...auds-and-felonies-in-the-service-of-ideology/

They have become an enterprise, one stone's throw away from an evil enterprise, whose priorities are very skewed. They are all about making money to line their own pockets.

They tried to take legal action against a bunch of random people for using the phrase "for the cure" and some even had the audacity to use a pink theme. Oh the horror!!!! SGK was afraid that their market-share would be impacted negatively and they felt the need to protect their brand. Give me a break!! If they cared about finding a cure for cancer, they wouldn't take legal action for someone having a "Kites for the Cure." And just to be clear, Kites for a Cure was a small family fundraiser for LUNG cancer!! There were over a hundred little fundraisers that SGK sent their lawyers after. There is a lot of info about the legal actions taken, but here is an easy to read, short article that sums it up pretty well--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/komen-foundation-charities-cure_n_793176.html

And I do not believe for a second SGK backed away from PP because of an investigation of misuse of funds. As animlzrule stated above me, this is about pushing right-wing political beliefs onto other people. You don't believe in abortion? That's great-- don't get one!!!!

If you want an abortion, pay for it yourself, don't use my tax or charity dollars to do so.

Well, isn't this interesting!!??!!??!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ammogram-claim/2011/03/30/AFjCFO3B_story.html

Planned Parenthood challenged on purported mammogram claim

A conservative activist group seeking to discredit the Planned Parenthood Federation of America released audio tapes Wednesday that it said contradicts claims the organization made that it provides mammograms.

A spokesman for Planned Parenthood, however, immediately denied that the group claimed to provide mammograms and pointed to a television interview with the group’s president it said showed her statements were taken out of context.

“Every Planned Parenthood, without exception, tells her she will have to go elsewhere for a mammogram, and many clinics admit that no Planned Parenthood clinics provide this breast cancer screening procedure,” according to the group’s news release.

But a Planned Parenthood spokesman denied that the organization claimed to offer mammograms.

“Planned Parenthood doctors and nurses provide more than 800,000 breast cancer screenings annually. We offer breast exams at every one of our family planning health centers. Like the vast majority of primary care physicians and ob-gyns, we refer our patients to other facilities for mammograms when indicated based on a breast exam, age or family history,” he said.

***So they DON'T DO mammograms AT ALL????
That's what they are saying.

I thought several posts here claimed they did. Someone here had a mammogram AT a PP clinic???

No wonder SGK pulled their funding.
JMO

“As Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, I am leading a formal investigation into taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood, which receives over $1 million a day in taxpayer money. Repeated cases of Planned Parenthood ignoring state and local reporting requirements, many involving minors, and allegations of financial abuse led to this investigation – the first ever oversight conducted on this group. We are still working with Planned Parenthood on getting the records and documents for the investigation, and I’m interested in holding a hearing depending on what the investigation discovers.”

And:

“This investigation of Planned Parenthood’s finances and use of taxpayer dollars is ongoing, and we are continuing to work with Planned Parenthood in getting the requested record and documents. I was not contacted by anyone at the Susan G. Komen for the Cure and this decision was solely up to them.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/healt...sional-investigation-20120201,0,4337608.story

***PP recieves over $1 million dollars of taxpayer money A DAY????
And they are worried about the $700,000 a year they recieved from SGK???

GMAB

$1,000,000.00 a day???? Of OUR money??? That they misuse???
:eek:

<modsnip>

In not supporting the women who use Planned Parenthood for health care, SGK is demonstrating they want those of us who perhaps have no insurance, are not white and middle class, to die of breast cancer? Hmmmm...

No they are not.
They offered much more to not white and middle class women in the area of breast health than PP ever could.
With or without their donations.

PP is corrupt.
Plain and simple.

Money PP gets from taxpayers:
over $1,000,000.00 per day = over $365,000,000.00 per year

Money they WERE getting from SGK:
$1,917.81 per day = $700,000.00 per year

So, what is the fuss about?

Surely they can find $700,000 in their $365,000,000.00 federal money to continue to offer breast health services. That would leave $364,300,000.00.

We might be at a stalemate with the opinions about Planned Parenthood. Remember, abortion debates usually end up as a moderator's nightmare.

If someone wants to know more information about Planned Parenthood, go ahead and ask and members on both sides can give their opinions with grace. If not, lets move on because we aren't going to change anyone's minds this way.

Looking at PP's annual report for 2009-2010 at this link:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/annual-report-4661.htm

Shows PP only spent $830,312.00 in 2009 on Breast Exams/Breast Health.
PP only spent $747,607.00 in 2010 on Breast Exams/Breast Health.

So, the questions that comes to mind is WHY?
The federal gov gives them over $365,000,000.00 a year.

Now, looking back at SGK's financial report in the link above, they spent $93 million last year on free mammograms alone for women who could not afford it.

Who is actually helping the poor?

The fact of the matter is, SGK pulled their grants because PP is under investigation for fraud.

They have been under investigation many times over the years for using improper coding and over charging the gov through medicaid. They have been audited and had to pay large sums back to the gov for fraud.

I think all women (and men and children) deserve to have medical care. But, when you go to PP for a breast exam, it "may" cost the gov 4 times the amount it should becuse of their accounting practices. PP is not the only "free" service available to the poor.

IMO any agency that recieves public funding should be watched very close.

So, PP, like many other gov funded agencies, needs to be held accountable for every dollar they recieve from the gov.

There has been a lot of corruption in the past.
IMO there is a lot of corruption going on now.

PP is not where I want my tax dollars going. But I have no say in the matter.

I certainly did not know my donations to SGK were going to them.
I guess that's my fualt for not looking into it.

PP needs a complete overhaul. IMO

I detest the myopic viewpoints of political motivation! Planned Parenthood has offered decades of valuable service, as has the Susan G. Komen organization. The testimony to both is that they worked TOGETHER in common cause, which was the health of women. Now, it's time to vote again, and both have been dragged into the oldest quarrel the "left" and "right" have to offer.

Planned Parenthood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_G._Komen_for_the_Cure

Imo, I'd like to see women reunite for one another-- those were the days, eh? There's still a lot of work to be done WITH each other. Yet we are sidetracked (duped?) over and over by this inane argument that HAS already been settled. Sheesh, we all need to get a grip and leave personal choice where it belongs and focus on civic inequality for the sake of our children's futures! :banghead:

Equal Rights Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm in my mid-thirties, my boyfriend is in his mid-forties (and had a child when he was in his teens, because he was ignorant about birth control at the time--I'm very glad she's here, because she's a wonderful person). I'll also admit, there was a gap between my health insurance coverage and birth control through PP (in addition to birth control, I take the pill because if I don't, I have *horrible* cramps that lead me to missing a lot of work monthly)....during that time, my boyfriend and I practiced the pull-out method. Not particularly responsible. If had I gotten pregnant, one of two things would have happened: either I would have gotten an abortion, or the state would have paid a heck of a lot of money in child-care assistance, food stamps, etc., etc. Given my personal life circumstances, I'd probably have gone through option A.

I'm not quite sure how to take that....mid 30's and 40's, wouldn't you both have jobs and try and support your family instead of relying on the state for a "heck of a lot of money"?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollyann
Back