Susan G. Komen charity pulls grants

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Again, there has been no misuse of funds. This is a bogus investigation initiated by a right wing politician. Misuse of federal money by Planned Parenthood has been alleged by anti-choice activists year after year without any basis in reality. Therefore, they've created this policy about not issuing grants to organizations under investigation as a loophole to get around the fact that claims of using federal funds for abortions have been debunked time and time again. Then, they got a congressman to once again start yammering about an investigation. The Komen organization has now shown it's true colors. They have shown they are susceptible to political pressure. We can hope that they are just as susceptible to public backlash.

if so why have they been fined and settled lawsuits by states accusing them of overbilling ?

if so why have they been fined and settled lawsuits by states accusing them of overbilling ?

Right. They have had to pay pack a ton of money after audits.

Not just one time. Several times.

I personally think every PP center in America should be audited, line by line, every year until they show they can be trusted. Then spot checked after that.

It's federal money they are taking. We all, as taxpayers, should be pizzed about all the misuse.

Everyone is polarized over whether PP provides services that are anathema to Susan G. Komen.

Me? I will NEVER participate in another Susan G. Komen walk or donate not even a penny to these hypocrites.

YMMV.

If you want an abortion, pay for it yourself, don't use my tax or charity dollars to do so.

On a similar vein, I often think: You want a war? Pay for it yourself, don't use my tax dollars to do so.

As taxpayers, we should ALL care where the money is going.

I have no problem with my money going towards medical care for those who can not afford it.
But, I'd like the agency that is providing that care to bill correctly and be honest.

Love Planned Parenthood. Love both the idea and how effective they have been for years.

I am disappointed in SGK, but I have never supported them because I was never a fan. There are many other organizations that spend less time/money marketing and are far more efficient with the use of their dollar towards research and screenings.

Planned Parenthood Decision Puts Spotlight on Susan G. Komen's Politics

By Lylah M. Alphonse, Senior Editor, Yahoo! Shine | Healthy Living – 36 minutes ago

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...n-puts-spotlight-susan-g-komen-200300991.html

From the article:

"While Komen Affiliates provide funds to pay for screening, education and treatment programs in dozens of communities, in some areas, the only place that poor, uninsured or under-insured women can receive these services are through programs run by Planned Parenthood," the March 2011 statement read. "These facilities serve rural women, poor women, Native American women, women of color, and the un- and under-insured. As part of our financial arrangements, we monitor our grantees twice a year to be sure they are spending the money in line with our agreements, and we are assured that Planned Parenthood uses these funds only for breast health education, screening and treatment programs."

The Huffington Post reports that the decision came just months after Komen hired Karen Handel to be their senior vice president for policy in April 2011. Handel ran for governor of Georgia in 2010 on a pro-life platform and promised to eliminate state grants to Planned Parenthood, even as she acknowledged that the state money did not fund abortions or abortion-related services.

"First, let me be clear, since I am pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood," Handel wrote on her campaign blog, which is still available in Internet archives.
So, Komen acknowledges that Planned Parenthood provides breast health education, screening and treatment to women in poor areas - women with limited access to health care -and yet their Sr VP for policy does not support PP's mission?

Nope, no political strings being pulled here, folks. :rolleyes:

Love Planned Parenthood. Love both the idea and how effective they have been for years.

I am disappointed in SGK, but I have never supported them because I was never a fan. There are many other organizations that spend less time/money marketing and are far more efficient with the use of their dollar towards research and screenings.

Actually, from what I've read, they give more money towards research and screening than any other breast cancer organization.

And as for Planned Parenthood, they only spent somewhere like $800,000 on breast health total in 2010.

Just in mammograms, SGK spent over $90 million in 2011.
Just on mammograms. That's over 700,000 mammograms that women would not have gotten if it weren't for SGK's efforts.

No one is saying that SGK doesn't provide funds for mammograms/screening, or that PP provides more (I'm leaving out the very real questions about SGKs use of funds for simplicity). What we are saying is that by refusing to partner with PP, SGK is helping deprive underserved women of needed screenings. PP serves so many women who otherwise would not have access, so this is a particularly grievous move on SGKs part.

These are women most in need of help. Now some may not get it, all because of anti choice politics.

Planned Parenthood Decision Puts Spotlight on Susan G. Komen's Politics

By Lylah M. Alphonse, Senior Editor, Yahoo! Shine | Healthy Living – 36 minutes ago

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...n-puts-spotlight-susan-g-komen-200300991.html

From the article:

So, Komen acknowledges that Planned Parenthood provides breast health education, screening and treatment to women in poor areas - women with limited access to health care -and yet their Sr VP for policy does not support PP's mission?

Nope, no political strings being pulled here, folks. :rolleyes:

Kinda like putting Ted Nugent in charge of public policy for the ASPCA!:rolleyes:

Susan G. Komen Top Officials Resign As Backlash Gains Steam

Dr. Kathy Plesser, a Manhattan radiologist on the medical advisory board of Susan G. Komen for the Cure's New York chapter, said she plans to resign from her position unless Komen reverses its decision to pull grant money from Planned Parenthood.

"I’m a physician and my interest is women’s health, and I am disturbed by Komen’s decision because I am a very strong advocate for serving under-served women,"

A spokesperson for Rep. Mike Honda (D-Calif.) said that he personally called Komen founder Nancy Brinker to complain when he heard the news on Tuesday, and he and 22 other members of the House of Representatives have signed onto a letter asking her to reverse her decision.

"This is an alarming development resulting from political pressure from anti-women’s health organizations," the letter says. "We ask – in the strongest possible terms – that Susan G. Komen reconsider its decision, as the health of millions of brave women everywhere demands the same kind of bravery exhibited the Komen Foundation."

A similar letter was signed by two dozen senators.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/02/susan-g-komen_n_1250651.html

YAY! Women will not be taking this lying down! Good for Dr Plesser!

If Komen's reasoning for no longer giving to PP is because they're under investigation, then why are they giving to other organizations under investigation--like Penn State?

Planned Parenthood saved one of my friends from dying thanks to free screening and free medical care.

I know that some people here bash the carp out of PP, but when my friend contacted the Komen charity years ago they turned her away.

Food for thought!

Anecdotal info ,at best .
I know 2 women who felt pressured into abortions when they were receiving pregnancy confirmation through PP,but I have nothing to show to prove it. Is that food for thought?
I was a foster parent for a total of 17 years,adopted 4 of those foster children,several with special needs. I choose to live my beliefs and I have been blessed to be part of an amazing family ,including 3 bio kids(7 altogether). I think if you're pro-life ,prove it. Live it ,and I don't mean chanting in front of abortion clinics.

The SGK Foundation has a right to do what they believe is right. Everyone else has the right to choose to support them ,or not.They aren't the only foundation in town .Neither is Planned Parenthood.

If Komen's reasoning for no longer giving to PP is because they're under investigation, then why are they giving to other organizations under investigation--like Penn State?

Is Penn State under investigation for misappropriation of funds?

Apples and oranges.JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollyann
Back