Susan G. Komen charity pulls grants

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Another thought..,

Ok, so people are getting all upset because of SGK's political ties to republicans.

:floorlaugh:

PP is the "favorite child" of our current president. I wonder why?
:waitasec:
PP just launched a national TV ad campaign supporting BO!
Great timing huh?
Sounds like a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" kind of deal to me.

Even when the news broke about the PP manager helping out the child trafficking pimp, BO just brushed it off and said "It was a set-up".
SO!!!!!
The manager didn't know it was a set up, he just went along giving advice to the pimp about how to LIE to get the services for the 14 year old child prostitute.

Politics politics!

Wonder how BO would feel if it was his daughter being sold and being brought into PP for an abortion at 14 without HIS knowledge???

And people are screaming that if you don't support PP you are against women. Ummm, no!

Wish I had time to read everything tonight; tomorrow is another day.. Last year there was a site that showed what Komen paid to employees & fundraising; was a real eye opener on how a charity that was started with good intentions ended up being in it for financial gain. I will never donate to them. Ever.

This is exactly why I wont donate to large fundraisers like SGK. Once they begin to be run like corporations they lose site of why they are there. I prefer to give to smaller more grass roots type organizations who put everything they earn into their cause.

It wasn't all that long ago I recall hearing about some financial improprieties within the SGK organization itself. Pot/Kettle...

And let us not forget that if an organization who claims to be all about helping woman can suddenly turn so vindictive due to it's leader's political/religious affiliation, imagine what will happen if we allow that to take over our government.

If people truly cared about women and not just those who go to PP, it would be hard for them to not realize just how many women receive much needed health care through SGK.

Those who want to boycott SGK are hurting many women who can not afford breast exams, mammograms, and treatment.
SGK helps millions of women each year who would not be getting services without them. They provided over 700,000 free mammograms in 2011 by giving over $93 million.

And people want to boycott them for pulling $700,000 from PP?

That makes no sense to me.

If people truly cared about women and not just those who go to PP, it would be hard for them to not realize just how many women receive much needed health care through SGK.

Those who want to boycott SGK are hurting many women who can not afford breast exams, mammograms, and treatment.
SGK helps millions of women each year who would not be getting services without them. They provided over 700,000 free mammograms in 2011 by giving over $93 million.

And people want to boycott them for pulling $700,000 from PP?

That makes no sense to me.

THANK YOU!!!

Where are all the cry babies when reports of impropriety regarding PP comes out? You never hear a word about that, and that is misuse of taxpayer dollars.... I give alot to SGK, and am very glad they decided to pull the grant.

On a personal note, someone up thread referred to the SGK walk as "THAT walk".... Putting politics and PP aside, THAT walk is something truly amazing. Not just for the average person raising money and walking, but for the SURVIVORS who participate. For those currently in treatment. For the families to support each other, and see the support of the communities!!

As a 5 time 3-Day walker, walking 60 miles in THAT walk, is one of the most inspirational things I could ever do. To see the survivors who have accomplished so much, to walk next to someone who is currently in treatment, to walk with the man and his children who lost their mother earlier in the year, it's uplifting and therapeutic. As the daughter of a 10 year survivor, I raise the money and walk in the hopes that one day there will be no need for this. SGK may spend alot on fundraising and walks, but the return is well worth in terms of money AND spirit. And not just here at home. I've been in Italy and run the Race for the Cure. Over there, I got to see some of the screening areas around Rome, and the mobile medical facilities that SGK is paying for in order to make sure that women everywhere get the mammograms and screenings they need!

Personally, I would rather SGK use the money themselves, than risk it being used inappropriately. If PP wants grants and donations, maybe they should clean up their act.

Interesting Documentary about Komen Foundation called "Pink Ribbons" concerning possible misuse of funds - and ironically, it's coming out today!

YouTube: Pink Ribbons Trailer

(Tried to embed but that feature must be turned off or something - sorry)

From the description:

Billions of dollars have been raised through the tireless efforts of women and men devoted to putting an end to breast cancer. Yet, breast cancer rates in North America have risen to 1 in 8. "What's going on?" asks Barbara Brenner in Pink Ribbons, Inc. a new film coming in 2012.

This feature documentary visits some of the massive fundraising runs and questions where the money goes and asks 'who really profits from pink ribbon campaigns?'. We meet women with metastatic breast cancer from the IV League support group of Austen, Texas who openly tell us their stories.

This is exactly why I wont donate to large fundraisers like SGK. Once they begin to be run like corporations they lose site of why they are there. I prefer to give to smaller more grass roots type organizations who put everything they earn into their cause.

It wasn't all that long ago I recall hearing about some financial improprieties within the SGK organization itself. Pot/Kettle...

And let us not forget that if an organization who claims to be all about helping woman can suddenly turn so vindictive due to it's leader's political/religious affiliation, imagine what will happen if we allow that to take over our government.

BBM

:clap:

MSNBC Breaking News: Komen foundation will restore all funding to Planned Parenthood!!

Sorry can't find a media link for the above yet (I watched it live on MSNBC) but it was reported that sponsors were outraged and threatening to pull out, in addition to scientists' involved with the Komen foundation - Good news!!

THANK YOU!!!

Where are all the cry babies when reports of impropriety regarding PP comes out? You never hear a word about that, and that is misuse of taxpayer dollars.... I give alot to SGK, and am very glad they decided to pull the grant.

On a personal note, someone up thread referred to the SGK walk as "THAT walk".... Putting politics and PP aside, THAT walk is something truly amazing. Not just for the average person raising money and walking, but for the SURVIVORS who participate. For those currently in treatment. For the families to support each other, and see the support of the communities!!

As a 5 time 3-Day walker, walking 60 miles in THAT walk, is one of the most inspirational things I could ever do. To see the survivors who have accomplished so much, to walk next to someone who is currently in treatment, to walk with the man and his children who lost their mother earlier in the year, it's uplifting and therapeutic. As the daughter of a 10 year survivor, I raise the money and walk in the hopes that one day there will be no need for this. SGK may spend alot on fundraising and walks, but the return is well worth in terms of money AND spirit. And not just here at home. I've been in Italy and run the Race for the Cure. Over there, I got to see some of the screening areas around Rome, and the mobile medical facilities that SGK is paying for in order to make sure that women everywhere get the mammograms and screenings they need!

Personally, I would rather SGK use the money themselves, than risk it being used inappropriately. If PP wants grants and donations, maybe they should clean up their act.

Great post!!!

Well I hope PP enjoys the $700,000.
I know where they WILL NOT be spending it. On mammograms.

Thank God SGK provides almost $100 million dollars a year so that women who can't afford a mammogram can get one.

Yup, decision has been reversed. It'll be on every channel practically. even my local will have it at noon.

:woohoo:

:skip: :woohoo: :skip:​

Today, the PP problem is back to the fact that it's being investigated. No mention of PP being inefficient use of Komen grant funding. So is this the truth now? It was politically motivated? Will the Komen employees who quit return to work? PP can now apply for future grants ... but does Komen intend to grant them in the future?

As first reported by The Associated Press on Tuesday, Komen had adopted criteria excluding Planned Parenthood from future grants for breast-cancer screenings because it was under government investigation, citing a probe launched by a Florida congressman at the urging of anti-abortion groups.

Komen said it would change the criteria "to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political."

"We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants," the statement said.

Regardless, thank you Nancy. Now, quick before you semi-retire, take a look at your executive team and do what you need to do to get rid of the politicially impaired legal, marketing & portfolio talent in favor of those more pure at heart.

Off to see if there's more detail anywhere...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill1620
Back