Susan Powell: Odd discovery in West Utah Desert

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If he used his bare hands we would have an excellent chance of some prints. I'm not in masonry, but find it hard to believe concrete/cement would set in below freezing weather. It still needs to checked out. If LE was out there earlier a couple times searching, wonder why they did not say they knew about it? Can someone give me a guesstimate how many square mile the west dessert is? TIA

The concrete cures in time. It can takes a day to weeks, depending on the weather. Meanwhile, if there's been rain, some of the portland cement, the powder part of concrete that binds the aggregate (sand, gravel, rocks) together would have washed away, leaving a jagged, strange appearance. So, if there was any bare hand patting, I doubt there would be finger or hand prints.

When Linda Osborne discovered the concrete, 70 or so days had passed since Susan disappeared which would have been long enough for it to cure if there were some dry days where the sun came out and the the humidity was low.

Of course Josh could have covered the area with plastic then removed it later but I doubt that he'd risk going back out there to do that!

The concrete cures in time. It can takes a day to weeks, depending on the weather. Meanwhile, if there's been rain, some of the portland cement, the powder part of concrete that binds the aggregate (sand, gravel, rocks) together would have washed away, leaving a jagged, strange appearance. So, if there was any bare hand patting, I doubt there would be finger or hand prints.

When Linda Osborne discovered the concrete, 70 or so days had passed since Susan disappeared which would have been long enough for it to cure if there were some dry days where the sun came out and the the humidity was low.

Of course Josh could have covered the area with plastic then removed it later but I doubt that he'd risk going back out there to do that!

Thanks Pick, but I think the concrete would freeze before setting, capturing moisture within it. Although, it would eventually harden and set, it would be more likely to be cracking and crumbling as the moisture evaporates. Remember the ground was totally frozen and probably wet from snow. He couldn't even have dug a shallow grave.

What scares me now, is the thought of an abused child. Linda said the mass was less than 32" wide, one child's shoe, and jars of vaseline....God forbid.

Why would you go to all the trouble to mix up cement and pour it over a body and then leave the encasement in plain view of any passerbys???? Stupider things have been done by criminals I'm sure, but why wouldn't you dig a hole and then put the cement/body in the hole???? Why leave it right out there in the open like that? Of course if he buried her under ground, why would he need cement???

Kudos to Linda for her hard work, but I don't think there is a body under there.

Why would you go to all the trouble to mix up cement and pour it over a body and then leave the encasement in plain view of any passerbys???? Stupider things have been done by criminals I'm sure, but why wouldn't you dig a hole and then put the cement/body in the hole???? Why leave it right out there in the open like that? Of course if he buried her under ground, why would he need cement???

Kudos to Linda for her hard work, but I don't think there is a body under there.

Hi Poco ... The that killed 5 year old Nevaeh Buch. dug a shallow grave and poured cement over her there on the river in plain view. Those fisherman found her after a piece broke off and the smell came out....Josh is not the brightest bulb in the pack. I certainly hope they can find Susan wether she is here or not someone could be there and I am glad that someone is finally going to look at it.

I told my husband yesterday that I was willing to drive over there and find it ( about 7 hour drive for me) just to make sure, he thinks I am nuts of course ...lol :crazy:

Shortage of time, and hardness of the ground? If this is Susan't burial site, and Josh buried her there, he would have been in a tremendous panic to get done and leave. If he came back in the rental car with several bags of cement mix, all the more reason to hurry. He'd have been very lucky to have initially chosen a spot with a water source, unless he knew the site from previous visits.

I saw this thread yesterday, but like Pickie I couldn't believe that LE would not have immediately followed up the lead, if only to eliminate the site from their enquiries. Overlooking this lead until the press bought it to their attention (FCOL, the Police should be a bit smarter than this) is yet another screw-up by WVPD, the third by my count.

The choppy nature of the concrete surface suggests to me that it's more than just a tippage of excess concrete from a lorry, because that ought to be smooth and properly mixed. this stuff looks much more like it was mixed badly, manually, either with hands or a shovel, and on site.

With the right equipment they wouldn't have to break up or move the concrete to tell if there was a body inside. If they are suspicious that a body may be in or under the concrete they could do non-intrusive ultrasound and ground radar tests. They may need to borrow the equipment and services of an archeological team, but it can be done.

That the concrete is supposed not wide enough for hips is irrelevent, a body could be lying on its side under there, and may not have been in one piece.

This may turn out to be a random spillage or fly-tipping of concrete, but LE should definitely have visited the site the day the lead was given to them.

btw, the vaseline jars and child's shoe were found on different searches in different parts of the desert, and are not in any way related to this concrete "tomb", as I read the examoner.com article.

"Osborne has found many things while searching in the desert. She's found items such as one child's shoe with no matching shoe in the area, which she's found suspicious. She once found a plastic bag with what appeared to be trash, clothing, and two large jars of Vaseline. One jar was ½ empty, the other almost empty. These types of findings are disturbing."

from

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...t-is-worthy-of-police-investigation-Slideshow

This spot, at least in the naming of the photo, refers to an old gas station. I've explored around old abandoned gas stations and there are the odd unexplained industrial-looking piles, not in the shape of a coffin, but similar enough that I'm wondering if it was put there to cover up a minor toxic waste dump of some sort, like oil or grease from the shop, for example, so that it wouldn't hurt anyone. It would sure help if someone could estimate the age of it.

As for the single shoe, I've seen them sometimes, too, and thought of how kids leave a trail everywhere and parents wonder what happened. They kick them off in temper tantrums, or "lose" them because they don't fit. If they step on a nasty bug, they'll disown a shoe.

Vaseline? It's been ages since that's been the lubricant of choice for anything. There was a time, though, when people actually thought it helped with sunburn.

What I've learned from the desert, is that a lot of people are either ignorant or just slobs and have no respect for it.

100320100020Cement___Abandoned_Gas_.jpg

I'd like to know what the object is that I've circled. It almost looks like a SMASHED rusty, metal 5 gallon bucket. Perhaps this is the place where the gas station dumped used oil years ago.

Also, the Tooele County Sheriff's Department deputy could NOT locate the concrete strip in the photo above and will be going out again to try to locate it. All they could find was a pile of dumped concrete pieces.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...-office-to-take-another-look-for-cement-strip

Hiya RubyRed (my favorite colour) or any one else who hass skilled photo abilities,

Is there any way for you to enlarge this picture in order that we can see the consistancy of the cement? I'm wondering if there is some smaller rock and or sand in the cement mixture as proffessionals would use the smaller rock & sand (My Dad's a Carpenter)

Someone trying to "hide" a body quickly may just purchase cement and add water.

Can't believe LE has known about this for over a month and they still have not looked into this...SHAME on them!!!!!!!!!!!

I enlarged 3 and 5 times larger. Browser will likely scale down, but if you save to your PC you should be able to see fully enlarged with any image software (I use the free or low cost Paint Shop Pro).

www.justiceforchandra.com/~rd/SusanPowellCementstrip.jpg
www.justiceforchandra.com/~rd/SusanPowellCementstrip3.jpg
www.justiceforchandra.com/~rd/SusanPowellCementstrip5.jpg

rd

Is there any way for you to enlarge this picture in order that we can see the consistancy of the cement?

The best way to enlarge the photo without distorting it is to hold down your Ctrl key then push your + key repeatedly until it is as large as it will go, making sure it isn't distorted at the very largest size. (I've discovered the next to the last possible enlargement is the best view.)

Once it's enlarged, hopefully you'll have a good quality magnifying glass to inspect it even closer.

cementstripenlarged.jpg

Screen shot of enlarged photo while using Cntrl +​

I know we're talking about searching for Susan who is more than likely dead, but gosh that Western Desert is gorgeous!

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Such a huge area to search for Susan. Also, thank you to all who have been searching and are planning to search.

I was referring to an online technique available to people who don't have fancy software like you have. You misunderstood me.

I apologize. I caught a lot of grief with blow ups of Jennifer Kesse POI where people didn't like enlarging photos, and told me so.

The CTL+ with magnifying glass as you mention is good enough to see surface texture of concrete which was what he was looking fior. However, the blowups I posted will display in the browser, plenty large enough to see fine detail.

Also for others, I mentioned I use the free or low cost Paint Shop Pro. Used to be a free download. Works very well.

I actually tried the CTL+ in my browser before I posted to see if I vould get it to show full size, but it zooms the scaled down, so just was mentioning for anyone that wanted to see at full blown up resolution. I couldn't make out anything significant in it however.

thanks PixieChickie.

rd

Maybe not that night, but what about when he took off in the rental car?

VB
When he said, "She's somewhere out there," I got the impression he may have gone back and not been able to find the exact spot. When the reporter asked about Moab, I got the sense he was hoping to be quite vague in that direction. I wish I knew if LE had good data or are just guessing about the West Desert at this point.

Why would you go to all the trouble to mix up cement and pour it over a body and then leave the encasement in plain view of any passerbys????
Stupider things have been done by criminals I'm sure, but why wouldn't you dig a hole and then put the cement/body in the hole????
Why leave it right out there in the open like that? Of course if he buried her under ground, why would he need cement???

Poco, Wouldn't the ground have been frozen and too hard to dig a large hole?

What other things getting on his hands, other than concrete, could have caused his hands to have stayed so very RED?

Maybe not that night, but what about when he took off in the rental car?

VB

Vegas, Is there anyway LE can tell where and how far the rental car was driven?
In my opinion, any place this guy sayes he went, LE should be going and looking in the opposite direction.

Vegas, Is there anyway LE can tell where and how far the rental car was driven?
In my opinion, any place this guy sayes he went, LE should be going and looking in the opposite direction.

WEST VALLEY CITY — A car rented by Josh Powell two days after his wife was reported missing was returned just 24 hours later with a lot of miles on it, according to police.

"It looks like there were several hundred miles driven," West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan told the Deseret News.

Investigators do not know where the car was taken or where Josh Powell was during that 24-hour period. There was no GPS data stored in that rental car, said McLachlan, who declined Monday to say from where the vehicle was rented.

SOURCE: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705353130/Police-probing-Powells-rental-car.html

I seem to remember reading an article that said there were 343 miles on the rental car. But, I'm not certain.

curious what kind of car, and if it was big enough to carry cement, or if there were traces?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill
Back