Suspect #1: Dellen Millard *Charged* 1st Deg Murder 15 May 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO this report is coming from a small town paper and the aviation circle between Guelph, Brantford and Waterloo is very small.

For those who don't know the area, I'd just like to clarify that it's not really all that 'small town' any more! 10th largest Census Metropolitan Area in Canada, as of 2012.

Surpassed only by Montreal, Ottawa-Gatineau, TO, Hamilton, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Quebec.

[ame="http://www.wonderfulwaterloo.com/showthread.php?t=239"]http://www.wonderfulwaterloo.com/showthread.php?t=239[/ame]

Population of Census Metropolitan Areas
Canada-Wide
Link

Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo = 505,100 (10th Largest CMA)

The K-W Record has a wide circulation - it is 21st on a list of the top 25 Canadian newspapers by 2011 circulation, shown here -

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_Canada_by_circulation"]List of newspapers in Canada by circulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Granted, there are rural areas in the Waterloo Region - such as where the Roseville Rd. property is located, but it is only a few minutes drive from either Kitchener or Cambridge urban areas. HTH

Interesting that the Realtor met the fiancee. That's the first I've heard of it! I'm sure he would be able to tell LE if it was LB or not. And it's extremely interesting to read that his friends were shocked that he took his life. IMO this report is coming from a small town paper and the aviation circle between Guelph, Brantford and Waterloo is very small. These old time aviation guys all grew up with WM. IMO, the guys this reporter interviewed were actually WM's long time friends. What I'm curious about is the fact that the men WM had working for him getting this operation up and running-why wouldn't they have mentioned anything to LE at the time of WM's death-but now with a second thought, maybe they did and it was still dismissed. MOO

I'm sorry but the only comments in quotes here are ones from the realtor (who was formerly quoted as saying he never met the fiance just DM and then DM introduced him to WM), and a farmer. Even if airport guys do not want to be named he could have used actual quotes. I don't trust this kind of reporting.

There are two stories that changed that bother me:

1. First reporting of LB, SL says DM was supplying LB with coke for months. Second report and all to follow say she requested and he declined and no mention of ever having supplied. Also by this point her mom doesn't even sound suspicious of DM. I think they know he's not involved but SL using this as an opportunity to get the word out and maybe stick it to DM. Also he said it was rumoured there was a relationship between DM and LB which has been blown out of proportion too, this never confirmed. I think SL may have used this "rumour" as another way to bring attention to the case.

2. Realtor definitely said he never saw the fiancée before, as quoted in previous reports. Now he has.

Hmmm..... as someone who used to work in journalism, I think there are a few unsubstantiated “facts” in this so-called news article.

For example, the author has written “[WM] , a man friends say had no depressive tendencies . . . “

The author spoke with “friends” of WM? Really? Which friends? How well did these “friends” know WM? What other information did these “friends” offer?

Are readers to believe that a reporter from a small, rather minor paper spoke to WM’s “friends” when no other main-stream media appears to have had access to them? In the meantime, another reporter (Ann Brocklehurst), one with some strong media credentials, mentioned that her sources suggested WM might have had an alcohol problem. Alcohol is a depressant and “depressive tendencies” are commonly associated with alcohol addiction.

Then the author wrote, “]DM] also rewarded friends with expensive trips, including his racing partner [AM], who rode with him in Mexico's famous Baja 500 off-road desert race in 2011.”

Did the author verify that DM paid for AM’s trip to Baja? How? Did AM tell him so? Photos indicate that the two were at the Baja event together, but I doubt the writer has evidence that DM “rewarded” AM with that trip.

The author wrote: “[DM], who inherited his father's wealth after his death”. Again, I doubt that the writer has seen the probate documents or spoken to the family’s estate lawyer. I mean, who knows? Maybe MB inherited everything and passed along much of it to DM. Maybe DM embezzled all the funds from a family charity. Maybe WM left his wealth to the family dog and DM has been dipping into the dog's trust fund. One should not assume, particularly reporters.

I note that the writer has used some adjectives that belie any objectivity. “Expensive trips”, “expensive properties”, “beautiful fiancée”. I mean, who has determined whether or not the trips were expensive? How is “expensive” defined? Many middle-class people vacation in Mexico because it’s affordable. Many working-class people purchase condos or farms in the Greater Toronto Area. And some people actually become engaged to plain-faced women who have qualities beyond their facial beauty!

I suspect this is the work of an inexperienced reporter who was attempting to write a “larger” piece then he had the background or skills to complete. It looks like he has spoken to a couple of locals (most of whom who did not even know those involved) and then has taken some liberties with Internet rumours and bits gleaned from other news articles.

Interesting that the Realtor met the fiancee. That's the first I've heard of it! I'm sure he would be able to tell LE if it was LB or not. And it's extremely interesting to read that his friends were shocked that he took his life. IMO this report is coming from a small town paper and the aviation circle between Guelph, Brantford and Waterloo is very small. These old time aviation guys all grew up with WM. IMO, the guys this reporter interviewed were actually WM's long time friends. What I'm curious about is the fact that the men WM had working for him getting this operation up and running-why wouldn't they have mentioned anything to LE at the time of WM's death-but now with a second thought, maybe they did and it was still dismissed. MOO

I took it that the realtor was speculating about the fiancee as in those with money marry looks. I haven't seen anything that really confirms there ever was a fiancee other than heresay. With respect to the fiancee, has there been any confirmed notices of the engagement? These are fairly common and more so amongst those with money. I'm thinking something along the lines of an engagement part, upcoming wedding announcement or stag & doe gathering. Also, if a wedding was upcoming, the future bride may have started making plans like booking a hall, the church, etc.

I'm sorry but the only comments in quotes here are ones from the realtor (who was formerly quoted as saying he never met the fiance just DM and then DM introduced him to WM), and a farmer. Even if airport guys do not want to be named he could have used actual quotes. I don't trust this kind of reporting.

There are two stories that changed that bother me:

1. First reporting of LB, SL says DM was supplying LB with coke for months. Second report and all to follow say she requested and he declined and no mention of ever having supplied. Also by this point her mom doesn't even sound suspicious of DM. I think they know he's not involved but SL using this as an opportunity to get the word out and maybe stick it to DM. Also he said it was rumoured there was a relationship between DM and LB which has been blown out of proportion too, this never confirmed. I think SL may have used this "rumour" as another way to bring attention to the case.

2. Realtor definitely said he never saw the fiancée before, as quoted in previous reports. Now he has.
OK, I agree that it may not be the most thorough reporting in the world, but I do have to give this reporter a bit of credit. His last few paragraphs mention where he's getting his information from: the Pilots gathering for the Waterloo Air Show. IMO, now that he's tipped off MSM that this could be a good place to hang out for the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them get someone to speak on the record. MOO

IMO this report is coming from a small town paper and the aviation circle between Guelph, Brantford and Waterloo is very small.

KW alone is half a million people and Guelph another 100k, these are not small towns!

Are readers to believe that a reporter from a small, rather minor paper spoke to WM’s “friends” when no other main-stream media appears to have had access to them? In the meantime, another reporter (Ann Brocklehurst), one with some strong media credentials, mentioned that her sources suggested WM might have had an alcohol problem.

Well, Greg Mercer is a long time local and has at least 15 years in the business, so he's not a rookie either.

Ann Brocklehurst has retracted her tweets from May 24 that suggested alcoholism. They are gone gone gone meaning currently no one is willing to support that "fact".

It's not uncommon for a person who appears to be normal to suddenly take their own life. People who attempt to do so (who are serious) will try to hide those feelings.... so it would seem unexpected.

I'm not saying Wm did or didn't do bit rather that speculating that WM couldn't have killed himself based on his friends saying 'that's out of character' is ridiculous. I could say the same for a few people I know personally who made attempts at their lives. This should be the end of that debate unless you're a professional in the abnormal psych field

Well, Greg Mercer is a long time local and has at least 15 years in the business, so he's not a rookie either.

Ann Brocklehurst has retracted her tweets from May 24 that suggested alcoholism. They are gone gone gone meaning currently no one is willing to support that "fact".

The problem with the suggestion of alcoholism is in order to be an 'alcoholic' a person must admit to it and seek treatment. Even if they are hospitalized for an alcohol related injury or illness, at best they will be noted as 'suspected alcohol abuse' and/or 'intoxicated' not as alcoholic. According to several sites on alcohol recovery, the term alcoholism is no longer used in the medical profession rather it is referred to as alcohol abuse. The second problem is if he admitted to being an alcoholic, the condition can be psychological, physiological or both. The first two can sometimes be distinguished by the severity of withdrawl symptoms. So Ann Brocklehurst would be quite correct to remove those tweets as they could perhaps be viewed as slander? If he had however been treated at a rehab for alcoholism then that would be different. MOO

Also, alcohol abuse can cause depression or cause existing depression to worsen. If you read up on some of the suicide forums, depression is only one factor. It really is getting to the point of 'no way out' desperation kind of thinking.

Some have mentioned it was out of character for WM but the persona he showed to the world could have been very different from his persona behind closed doors in the privacy of his own home. The only person who truly knows the person is themself. MOO

Ah yes, I see that, my error. He’s also recently written about a plowing contest, the birth of triplets, buying puppies and “horse ballet”.

1) That would be the International Plowing Match and Rural Expo
2) Don't tell me the Record or the Mercury are the only ones that report multiple identical births
3) Menno and Viola Streicher, Toronto Humane Society, Marineland, what's the difference?
4) It's called dressage and it's an Olympic sport

Yes, this is an agricultural area and the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Rural Affairs is HQ'ed out here but that does not mean that everyone who lives outside of Toronto is a hillbilly...agriculture is big business.

I think the locals would rather open up to a local reporter, and NOT some Toronto hack that doesn't understand they way things are around here.

The problem with the suggestion of alcoholism is in order to be an 'alcoholic' a person must admit to it and seek treatment. Even if they are hospitalized for an alcohol related injury or illness, at best they will be noted as 'suspected alcohol abuse' and/or 'intoxicated' not as alcoholic. According to several sites on alcohol recovery, the term alcoholism is no longer used in the medical profession rather it is referred to as alcohol abuse. The second problem is if he admitted to being an alcoholic, the condition can be psychological, physiological or both. The first two can sometimes be distinguished by the severity of withdrawl symptoms. So Ann Brocklehurst would be quite correct to remove those tweets as they could perhaps be viewed as slander? If he had however been treated at a rehab for alcoholism then that would be different. MOO

Also, alcohol abuse can cause depression or cause existing depression to worsen. If you read up on some of the suicide forums, depression is only one factor. It really is getting to the point of 'no way out' desperation kind of thinking.

Some have mentioned it was out of character for WM but the persona he showed to the world could have been very different from his persona behind closed doors in the privacy of his own home. The only person who truly knows the person is themself. MOO

Ann's tweet described him as a "non functional alcoholic"...which is hard to believe given he was starting a new business and apparently functioning.

I think doctors know when to call a spade a spade. They want to know how many units you drink a week, not if you admit to being an alcoholic or not...i.e., they stick to what can be quantified. I think 40 units a week is where they start suggesting rehab or AA

1) That would be the International Plowing Match and Rural Expo
2) Don't tell me the Record or the Mercury are the only ones that report multiple identical births
3) Menno and Viola Streicher, Toronto Humane Society, Marineland, what's the difference?
4) It's called dressage and it's an Olympic sport

Yes, this is an agricultural area and the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Rural Affairs is HQ'ed out here but that does not mean that everyone who lives outside of Toronto is a hillbilly...agriculture is big business.

I think the locals would rather open up to a local reporter, and NOT some Toronto hack that doesn't understand they way things are around here.

BBM

MANY thanks for this post and particularly the bolded section! If a rural dweller gets the feeling that a reporter considers him/her a 'hick' and is dismissive of the local community/way of life, that reporter ain't gettin' nowhere fast :)

It would not be at all surprising if Greg Mercer, whose name is known in this area, has established some trust and is rewarded with more openess than others from 'out of town' (aka 'city slickers'). IMO

This is the first time I realized he was actually shot in the eye. I wasn't sure before. Really makes his profile pic that much more eerie.

Where did this "shot in the eye" report come from? Link please. Has someone seen the autopsy?

MOO

According to the experts, alcohol abuse is also a leading cause of suicide.
http://alcoholrehab.com/alcohol-rehab/alcohol-and-suicide/

One could project that, future prospects notwithstanding, a number of critical issues could easily have piled up - the loss of a key contract perhaps; a fiancee's change of heart; problems with key employees; approaching holiday season; the death of a close friend or relative; advancing age and health concerns; and most importantly, getting drunk again despite rehab/AA etc - not to say any of those in fact were contributing factors but any one of them could have been.

We're really going back to the "box around the tattoo" thing? I suppose it's been a slow couple of news days.

Fine to move on, of course, but I believe you'll find, when and if this case ever gets to trial, that informant # 1's description of DM will be critical, possibly even a threshhold issue, imo. When building any kind of structure, the first mistake is the worst mistake, imo.

If a rural dweller gets the feeling that a reporter considers him/her a 'hick' and is dismissive of the local community/way of life, that reporter ain't gettin' nowhere fast :)

It would not be at all surprising if Greg Mercer, whose name is known in this area, has established some trust and is rewarded with more openess than others from 'out of town' (aka 'city slickers'). IMO

Not to belabour the point, but this has nothing to do with “rural” reporting versus that of “city slickers”.

The point is that the article does not appear to be written according to regular news standards --- subjective opinions inserted, unsubstantiated assumptions declared, etc.

If that’s what you rely on for your information, fine. I look for more reliable sources.

Fine to move on, of course, but I believe you'll find, when and if this case ever gets to trial, that informant # 1's description of DM will be critical, possibly even a threshhold issue, imo. When building any kind of structure, the first mistake is the worst mistake, imo.

Yes, I agree.

I wonder if they found Dellens DNA on or in Tims truck?

Not to belabour the point, but this has nothing to do with “rural” reporting versus that of “city slickers”.

The point is that the article does not appear to be written according to regular news standards --- subjective opinions inserted, unsubstantiated assumptions declared, etc.

If that’s what you rely on for your information, fine. I look for more reliable sources.

I agree in the sense if people are opening up to him outside of the farmer and realtor, quote an "unknown source" (look at Rob Ford - Toronto Star has built a whole case around him and his family based on unknowns!), rather than making implications that people believe because you know the area. And he mentions the fact of the pilots gathering for aor show but doesnt say he actually spoke to any of them does he?

No doubt some more gossip comes out of the show this weekend - beware!

Well if you were local you'd know that you don't ever have to buy a Record AND a Toronto Star, because they publish many of the same articles. No point in reading the same things twice...they are both owned by Metroland...it's all the same pile (Every paper in the area, from the Cambridge Times to the KW Record to the Guelph Mercury, is Metroland.)

And at least Greg Mercer has tenure in his job...Brocklehurst is just a freelancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela