Suspect - Daniel Heinrich #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so im clear on this... you believe that the same person who abducted me is not the same perpetrator in the paynesville incidents or jacobs case ?

Good question, I believe he is your perp and that he is most likely responsible for some if not all of paynesville. Jacobs case is by itself simply because LE told me and everyone else in 2004 that they now believe the perp was local, on foot, knew the boys and their path to and from the store. This landmark new theory they provided was the first time I felt like something is starting to make sense in this case.

Good question, I believe he is your perp and that he is most likely responsible for some if not all of paynesville. Jacobs case is by itself simply because LE told me and everyone else in 2004 that they now believe the perp was local, on foot, knew the boys and their path to and from the store.
. in 2004 i ageed to share my story for the first time ... then a week or so after it aired authorities asked to meet with me to understand why i believed that the cases were associated ... i said... well its the same guy on the detailed sketch that everyone is looking for... ive alwa8ys been lead to believe that , due to my involvement early on ...

At that moment authorities begain to explain to me : that jacobs case and my case were not associated , then questioned me on a few other things , thanked me for coming in and said good bye .. during the DR. Investigation the BCA at one point acquired DNA samples from everyone in my imediate family ... Y

. in 2004 i ageed to share my story for the first time ... then a week or so after it aired authorities asked to meet with me to understand why i believed that the cases were associated ... i said... well its the same guy on the detailed sketch that everyone is looking for... ive alwa8ys been lead to believe that , due to my involvement early on ...

At that moment authorities begain to explain to me : that jacobs case and my case were not associated , then questioned me on a few other things , thanked me for coming in and said good bye .. during the DR. Investigation the BCA at one point acquired DNA samples from everyone in my imediate family ... Y

Here is a summary (excerpt from the book) of the transition of the focus of the investigation between 2003 and 2004. Note that Kostreba indicated a degree of dissension from the change in theory. In reviewing other long-term cases, it seems that it is common for investigators to shift their theories of cases. This is particularly true in the Wetterling, Reker, and Kimball Post Office Bomb case. I think there may be psychological factors behind that, where investigators get frustrated that their working theories are not producing results and they gradually shift to rethinking those theories. Sometimes, it seems, that in the process they end up untying some rather sound and simple explanations.

Sheriff Sanner emphasized that the fresh start of the investigation, brought on by Kevin coming forward with his information, breathed new life into the investigation.
“In essence, it breathed all kinds of investigative life back into a fifteen-year-old case,” Sanner said. “And all of a sudden we’re working on this case like it’s something that just happened.”
“We are more convinced that this occurred by somebody local, somebody on foot,” Sanner added. “We are more convinced of that now than we ever have been.”

The turn of events regarding the tires tracks impacted the investigation in 2004 and caused investigators to go back to the beginning of the case. Jim Kostreba was a Stearns County chief deputy when Jacob was kidnapped. He later became the Stearns County Sheriff, and was actively involved in the case for the rest of his career.

“I don't know if you’d call it a gut instinct,” retired Sheriff Kostreba said. “But I always have had a feeling that this one could be cleared.”

Kostreba did acknowledge that Kevin’s story offered an innocent explanation for the tire tracks in the Rassier driveway, but he still believed that there was a vehicle involved in the abduction. He explained that it would have been difficult for the abductor to disappear with Jacob so quickly without a vehicle. Kostreba had always favored the theory of a car being involved in the crime, but the new information about Kevin’s car creating the tire tracks in the Rassier driveway brought the case back to the people, and he felt the people could help solve it.

Everett Doolittle had been an investigator with the Minnesota BCA since the beginning of the Wetterling case. In 2004, as the fifteenth anniversary of Jacob’s abduction neared, Doolittle pointed out that going back to the beginning of the investigation was a common method for solving older cases. He advised current investigators to go back and re-examine all the information, looking for links that hadn't been made earlier. Taking a second look at suspects who had previously been cleared, and perhaps should not have been, was warranted, he said. Doolittle's cold case unit of the BCA had utilized the same methodology to solve two major murder cases in Minnesota, including the 1992 murder of Linda Jensen in Big Lake, and the 1978 slayings of Alice Huling and her three children in Fairhaven Township.

“In almost every case, the person told someone,” Doolittle said. “The answer is out there somewhere. The key is to find it. Time becomes your friend for that, not your enemy.”

Although investigators did not state so publicly at the time, the neighbor that they were taking a closer look at was Dan Rassier. Patty Wetterling wrote a personal letter to Dan Rassier later in 2004. According to Rassier, the letter appeared to have come from Patty through the Stearns County Sheriff's office. In the letter, Rassier said that Mrs. Wetterling asked him to please come forward, to admit that he committed the abduction, and to tell investigators what had happened on the night of Jacob's abduction. Rassier did not acknowledge or respond in any way to Patty's letter, and the information about the letter would not be publicly known until several years later.

The new information from Kevin coming forward in 2003 apparently prompted investigators to search the Rassier farm again in 2004. The search was not known publicly at the time, and investigators released no information about whether or not any evidence was discovered or which areas of the property were searched. According to Rassier, the 2004 search was done without a search warrant.
Rassier said the BCA asked him at one point to confess to the crime, telling him that during his 911 call he sounded much too nervous to simply be concerned about someone stealing his firewood. Rassier said he laughed at the investigators and rejected their request. For investigators, their contention that Rassier sounded nervous during his 911 call on the night of October 22, 1989, would later prove to be a thorn in their side. (In 2013, it was revealed by an investigative reporter that investigators neglected to save the tape of Rassier’s 911 call).

In October 2004, on the 15th anniversary of Jacob's abduction, Sheriff Sanner reiterated that the focus of the Wetterling investigation was on local suspects.
“We cannot lose the momentum in this investigation,” Sanner said. “We're going to systematically process all leads and information that comes in to find a resolution. I strongly feel that we're now looking in the right direction.”

While Stearns County investigators were piecing together the new theory regarding Jacob's abduction in 2004, Jared, the victim of the January 1989 abduction and assault in Cold Spring, came forward to share his story. Jared told Twin Cities television station KARE 11 that he believed his abductor and Jacob's abductor were one in the same. The two-part series of news reports highlighted similarities between the two cases. KARE 11's news coverage of Jared’s story produced a flurry of tips from the public.

“Nothing he is saying on TV is anything we didn’t already know,” Sanner said of Jared. “The only benefit I see in what he’s doing is rejuvenating interest in a very old case.”

As Jared went public with his story, Stearns County Sheriff John Sanner was downplaying the possible links between the two cases. While Sanner acknowledged the cases had some similarities and that such links had been considered from the very beginning of the Wetterling investigation, he cautioned that the links between the cases were weaker than previously believed.

“It strengthened the likelihood that they aren't related,” Sanner said. But the sheriff stopped short of saying the cases were not related. “The cases are similar, and we're not ruling it out,” Sheriff Sanner said. “But there are significant differences too.”

“The similarities are there and you cannot get beyond that,” Sanner added. “But are they really and truly connected? Until we get resolution, I don’t know that we can answer that with any certainty.”
Sheriff Sanner’s stance marked another turn in the investigation because investigators had stated many times over the years that there were strong links between Jacob’s and Jared’s cases. In fact, at one point, investigators had disclosed they had found a “sure link” between the cases. As time passed, that sure link began to carry less weight in the eyes of investigators than it had in the early days of the investigation.

Refer to Case Facts #4 where Trevor describes the mask as "one of those nylon things". I have 2 thoughts on this:

1. Once the perp has Jacob in the vehicle, he still does not want to be identified. However, he has to remove his mask to drive. So he orders Jacob to turn away and cover his eyes. He can now make his getaway.
2. The perp leaves the pantyhose mask on but orders Jacob to cover his eyes so as to not be identified by anyone that may be in the farmhouse. But this makes driving difficult so he must drive more slowly.

I think it's #1. And he's confident that he knows where to go as he's already been there once before....but in a different vehicle. JMO....but I think it's possible that Heinrich was the afternoon driver perusing the neighborhood. And perchance he returned to that area later that night but that begs the question: why return to that neighborhood? We've seen that there may have been other boys in the neighborhood of interest to Heinrich...OR....maybe Heinrich was the one watching at Jacob's hockey practice that day(the one who gave Jerry Wetterling the uneasy + panicky feeling) and followed them home and knowing the road was a dead end....he exited on DR's driveway. Just another thought

The panty hose mask is a strange thing. Doesn't it seem like it would be hard to take off while driving or trying to control. 12 year old boy?

Here is a summary (excerpt from the book) of the transition of the focus of the investigation between 2003 and 2004. Note that Kostreba indicated a degree of dissension from the change in theory. In reviewing other long-term cases, it seems that it is common for investigators to shift their theories of cases. This is particularly true in the Wetterling, Reker, and Kimball Post Office Bomb case. I think there may be psychological factors behind that, where investigators get frustrated that their working theories are not producing results and they gradually shift to rethinking those theories. Sometimes, it seems, that in the process they end up untying some rather sound and simple explanations.

Sheriff Sanner emphasized that the fresh start of the investigation, brought on by Kevin coming forward with his information, breathed new life into the investigation.
“In essence, it breathed all kinds of investigative life back into a fifteen-year-old case,” Sanner said. “And all of a sudden we’re working on this case like it’s something that just happened.”
“We are more convinced that this occurred by somebody local, somebody on foot,” Sanner added. “We are more convinced of that now than we ever have been.”

The turn of events regarding the tires tracks impacted the investigation in 2004 and caused investigators to go back to the beginning of the case. Jim Kostreba was a Stearns County chief deputy when Jacob was kidnapped. He later became the Stearns County Sheriff, and was actively involved in the case for the rest of his career.

“I don't know if you’d call it a gut instinct,” retired Sheriff Kostreba said. “But I always have had a feeling that this one could be cleared.”

Kostreba did acknowledge that Kevin’s story offered an innocent explanation for the tire tracks in the Rassier driveway, but he still believed that there was a vehicle involved in the abduction. He explained that it would have been difficult for the abductor to disappear with Jacob so quickly without a vehicle. Kostreba had always favored the theory of a car being involved in the crime, but the new information about Kevin’s car creating the tire tracks in the Rassier driveway brought the case back to the people, and he felt the people could help solve it.

Everett Doolittle had been an investigator with the Minnesota BCA since the beginning of the Wetterling case. In 2004, as the fifteenth anniversary of Jacob’s abduction neared, Doolittle pointed out that going back to the beginning of the investigation was a common method for solving older cases. He advised current investigators to go back and re-examine all the information, looking for links that hadn't been made earlier. Taking a second look at suspects who had previously been cleared, and perhaps should not have been, was warranted, he said. Doolittle's cold case unit of the BCA had utilized the same methodology to solve two major murder cases in Minnesota, including the 1992 murder of Linda Jensen in Big Lake, and the 1978 slayings of Alice Huling and her three children in Fairhaven Township.

“In almost every case, the person told someone,” Doolittle said. “The answer is out there somewhere. The key is to find it. Time becomes your friend for that, not your enemy.”

Although investigators did not state so publicly at the time, the neighbor that they were taking a closer look at was Dan Rassier. Patty Wetterling wrote a personal letter to Dan Rassier later in 2004. According to Rassier, the letter appeared to have come from Patty through the Stearns County Sheriff's office. In the letter, Rassier said that Mrs. Wetterling asked him to please come forward, to admit that he committed the abduction, and to tell investigators what had happened on the night of Jacob's abduction. Rassier did not acknowledge or respond in any way to Patty's letter, and the information about the letter would not be publicly known until several years later.

The new information from Kevin coming forward in 2003 apparently prompted investigators to search the Rassier farm again in 2004. The search was not known publicly at the time, and investigators released no information about whether or not any evidence was discovered or which areas of the property were searched. According to Rassier, the 2004 search was done without a search warrant.
Rassier said the BCA asked him at one point to confess to the crime, telling him that during his 911 call he sounded much too nervous to simply be concerned about someone stealing his firewood. Rassier said he laughed at the investigators and rejected their request. For investigators, their contention that Rassier sounded nervous during his 911 call on the night of October 22, 1989, would later prove to be a thorn in their side. (In 2013, it was revealed by an investigative reporter that investigators neglected to save the tape of Rassier’s 911 call).

In October 2004, on the 15th anniversary of Jacob's abduction, Sheriff Sanner reiterated that the focus of the Wetterling investigation was on local suspects.
“We cannot lose the momentum in this investigation,” Sanner said. “We're going to systematically process all leads and information that comes in to find a resolution. I strongly feel that we're now looking in the right direction.”

While Stearns County investigators were piecing together the new theory regarding Jacob's abduction in 2004, Jared, the victim of the January 1989 abduction and assault in Cold Spring, came forward to share his story. Jared told Twin Cities television station KARE 11 that he believed his abductor and Jacob's abductor were one in the same. The two-part series of news reports highlighted similarities between the two cases. KARE 11's news coverage of Jared’s story produced a flurry of tips from the public.

“Nothing he is saying on TV is anything we didn’t already know,” Sanner said of Jared. “The only benefit I see in what he’s doing is rejuvenating interest in a very old case.”

As Jared went public with his story, Stearns County Sheriff John Sanner was downplaying the possible links between the two cases. While Sanner acknowledged the cases had some similarities and that such links had been considered from the very beginning of the Wetterling investigation, he cautioned that the links between the cases were weaker than previously believed.

“It strengthened the likelihood that they aren't related,” Sanner said. But the sheriff stopped short of saying the cases were not related. “The cases are similar, and we're not ruling it out,” Sheriff Sanner said. “But there are significant differences too.”

“The similarities are there and you cannot get beyond that,” Sanner added. “But are they really and truly connected? Until we get resolution, I don’t know that we can answer that with any certainty.”
Sheriff Sanner’s stance marked another turn in the investigation because investigators had stated many times over the years that there were strong links between Jacob’s and Jared’s cases. In fact, at one point, investigators had disclosed they had found a “sure link” between the cases. As time passed, that sure link began to carry less weight in the eyes of investigators than it had in the early days of the investigation.

This information reiterates that the BCA was highly involved. So many investigators. So many came up with what ideas and why? Gut feelings don't cut it with criminal courts and the Constitution of the US

But Mr Sanner, you matched not only a footprint of Heinrichs but also a tire track of Heinrichs in 1990. I guess you all forgot about that, or maybe it is true that it was never a "match".

But Mr Sanner, you matched not only a footprint of Heinrichs but also a tire track of Heinrichs in 1990. I guess you all forgot about that, or maybe it is true that it was never a "match".

It was not just him. It was investigators from the BCA as well. Very strange.

The panty hose mask is a strange thing. Doesn't it seem like it would be hard to take off while driving or trying to control. 12 year old boy?

My guess is he had control of the situation before he removed the mask. He already displayed that dictatorial control when he stopped the 3 boys...and they complied. And the boys stated that the abductor took Jacob by the arm/elbow and led him away into the dark. After he placed Jacob in the car he threatened Jacob by telling him to look out the window and place his hands over his eyes and keep them there "or else"...or maybe even "don't look back or I'll shoot" or "I've got a gun and I'm not afraid to use it", removed the mask, then drove through the farmstead and back on to the pavement and made his getaway.

“No way. There's no way. He would never carry a gun or anything like that. He has never had a gun,” Heinrich’s brother said.

“No way. There's no way. He would never carry a gun or anything like that. He has never had a gun,” Heinrich’s brother said.
Do you realize that you are throwing your weight into a most sinister existence? And you'll have to carry that weight from now and beyond. It has been established beyond a reasonable doubt....by DNA nonetheless....that DJH abducted Jared. That's a fact. And he used a gun for leverage. If you want to believe his brother...then so be it....but do it at your own cost.

Several other items were found during the search but were not listed on the inventory of materials confiscated from Heinrich's home. There were knives, Nazi memorabilia, a pair of silver handcuffs, and duct tape. Investigators were not able to find the silver handgun they were looking for, but one of Heinrich's homemade videos appeared to have been a video tour of his home. In the video Heinrich is shown opening the door to a safe and inside the safe was a gun. The video focused on the gun, which appeared to be loaded.

Mr. SQuatch why would you consider to believe a despicable monsters brother yet question the fbi who have entered evidence into court and pegged Heinrich as the perp? Are you related to Daniel Heinrich? Can you answer these two questions? Thank you

Mr. SQuatch why would you consider to believe a despicable monsters brother yet question the fbi who have entered evidence into court and pegged Heinrich as the perp? Are you related to Daniel Heinrich? Can you answer these two questions? Thank you

He has to be provided innocence until proven guilty.

It is interesting that Heinrich seems to be the guy, but there is so little info on him. Nobody has anything to say about this guy over the course of 26 years. Coworkers, neighbors, no one. Oh sure, a tiny bit, but 26 years of what??

It is interesting that Heinrich seems to be the guy, but there is so little info on him. Nobody has anything to say about this guy over the course of 26 years. Coworkers, neighbors, no one. Oh sure, a tiny bit, but 26 years of what??

Supposedly things will heat up again in September, so far as the gossip goes. It all plays into ratings and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Merythe