Suspect - Daniel Heinrich

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why DJH wasn't at the top of the list as POI all along, I'm not sure, ...

Maybe he was? I know I've made this point before but, we know this not by words but by behavior. LE and the Courts sealed documents related to this POI from the very beginning (along with two others who were not long after ruled out). So, why continue to seal this until 2015 unless he wasn't at the top of their list? I think he was. Their interest was clear by their actions, and their desire to keep that interest confidential is also self evident it seems.

Even identifying by sight isn't always considered %100 accurate, is it? If I remember correctly, Jared identified 2 people in a (photo?) lineup as his possible abductor. He said one was a 7, on a scale of 1-10, and DJH was a 4. Am I right in thinking there have been times that identifying a voice has corroborated a visual id?

Agreed, and yes I think a voice recognition could corroborate a visual identification.

Thanks, Sigrid. I guess its like Laci Peterson case then- where SP wasn't charged until her body was found despite strong motive and means - and last known person to see her alive. God, that is depressing.

People think a 37-year-old man abducted as a child is still alive? I guess he is now a part of some sex ring where no matter what age you are, there's a predator to abuse you?

Some people clearly do. Look at Jaycee Dugard. She was found after 18 years. Most people know how her life was. She had some freedom with her captors, unlike the 3 from cleveland.

If Jacob was taken by DJH, I don't think he lived long at all, but if it was someone else who took him, I think he could have been alive for a few years in a situation similar to SH. After Devlin kidnapped the younger boy, I think he was probably going to kill Shawn.. if Jacob was taken by someone other than DJH, I think that is probably what happened to him (used for awhile then replaced).

I think fewer people believe the sex ring stuff... that's a little out there....

Then why didn't they rip apart the Exp?
There are lots and lots of scenarios that might make them not want to do a forensic exam of the car. The easiest way to explain the idea is by an example. Suppose the POI's mother knew everything that happened. I mean, in every detail. Suppose she tips off someone in dribs and drabs. Eventually a picture emerges that JEW was taken outside of town, that he bolted from the car when it stopped, that the POI got out and shot him in the back, and that JEW died less than one hour after being taken. That he was buried in this same area and that little actually happened in the car. Now, you know this mother passed this and some "souvenirs" she took from the POI on to someone else. Then she died. The key detail she never divulged is where are the remains. But some of the details given corroborated what LE knows independently, so they know this narrative is probably true. But you need the witness to provide more to file charges. Do you endanger or alienate the witness by searching the POIs car, which might tip off the POI that he has been ratted out? You can think of dozens of scenarios where they would not want to request warrants, each one speculation, but each showing a good reason for the current state of affairs.

Kind of a depressing read. Hopefully something breaks that will change this POI to a suspect.

http://m.startribune.com/criminal-charges-are-still-a-stretch-in-wetterling-case/342626332/

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

There does not seem to be leverage. If there was DP, then LWOP could be offerred, He is 52. Not that old if he does not receive tbat much time. I think if people look at the sentences for child *advertiser censored* for a first time offender, they are not that long.

It appears he does not have any actual victims of his own for *advertiser censored* , does he?

I am simply being realistic. What can be used to get him to say anything? Conscience? Does he have one?

It is so special that the citizens will get to pay for his defense and his housing.

It appears he likes souvenirs. He has moved around a lot. Where have other perps kept souvenirs?

Maybe he was? I know I've made this point before but, we know this not by words but by behavior. LE and the Courts sealed documents related to this POI from the very beginning (along with two others who were not long after ruled out). So, why continue to seal this until 2015 unless he wasn't at the top of their list? I think he was. Their interest was clear by their actions, and their desire to keep that interest confidential is also self evident it seems.

This makes sense, and is similar to what I have been thinking since DJH was named POI a couple of weeks ago. I definitely think LE was using what info they had in trying to get more.

I find it telling that we still would not know what we now know about DJH (from the warrant and affidavit) if the *advertiser censored* charges were not under federal jurisdiction. Part of pursuing federal charges against him includes making the warrant public, which is where we find Jacob's name brought in as part of the purpose of the warrant.

There are lots and lots of scenarios that might make them not want to do a forensic exam of the car. The easiest way to explain the idea is by an example. Suppose the POI's mother knew everything that happened. I mean, in every detail. Suppose she tips off someone in dribs and drabs. Eventually a picture emerges that JEW was taken outside of town, that he bolted from the car when it stopped, that the POI got out and shot him in the back, and that JEW died less than one hour after being taken. That he was buried in this same area and that little actually happened in the car. Now, you know this mother passed this and some "souvenirs" she took from the POI on to someone else. Then she died. The key detail she never divulged is where are the remains. But some of the details given corroborated what LE knows independently, so they know this narrative is probably true. But you need the witness to provide more to file charges. Do you endanger or alienate the witness by searching the POIs car, which might tip off the POI that he has been ratted out? You can think of dozens of scenarios where they would not want to request warrants, each one speculation, but each showing a good reason for the current state of affairs.

So, do you think this, or something similar, is why DR's farm was searched so much?

There does not seem to be leverage. If there was DP, then LWOP could be offerred, He is 52. Not that old if he does not receive tbat much time. I think if people look at the sentences for child *advertiser censored* for a first time offender, they are not that long.

True. LE needs information from another source. Who might know something? Like someone said earlier in this thread, DJH doesn't seem to have much of a filter - indicated by odd statements he made to neighbors after his home was searched. I think someone, somewhere, knows something.

Wasn't DJH at the Willmar Regional Treatment Center at some point? Does anyone know when or why? Mentally ill persons were there as well as drug/alcohol rehab patients, I think. I would be interested in knowing when and why he was there. Interestingly, when the center was closed a community behavioral center was begun in Annandale (and elsewhere) to continue part of the assistance for people who had been at the Willmar Regional Center, or needed similar services.

Okaaaay -- your explanation is logical but something doesn't sit right for me. My understanding is that DJH voluntarily allowed the tire impressions to be taken back then - wonder if they asked about a vehicle search as well and he refused. IMO if he'd truly been a top suspect back then things would have played out a bit differently- I think for various reasons DR was the key suspect; that LE pegged DJH as a "garden variety" perv who didnt fit the profile of a murderer. Even as late as 1990 the "neighborhood perv" wasn't viewed so much as a dangerous criminal but with a more benign disgust. Whereas a grown man who lived with his parents was seen as positively glow-in-the-dark weird. Just my feeling. And personally - I don't even care about punishment - I just want the Wetterlings to know what happened.

I think that Jacob may have been held for a time (accomplice) or killed as you said within a few hours after an attack (no accomplice). I also think killing Jacob was an extended part of DJH's fantasies (he said to each or most of the boys he attacked in Paynesville and Jared that he would kill them, but we can be pretty sure Jared was the first boy he raped, so the pattern of escalation would lead to murder by the time he kidnapped Jacob).

I have a 'gut feeling' DJH didn't stop. I don't see turning to internet *advertiser censored* as a replacement behavior for child rape and murder. I think he could have also moved on to girls or women with a preference for young boys. No evidence, but there are other reported cases of masked men approaching women in that general area even recently (a 50 something woman was kidnapped for a short time by a man in a mask who hid in her car while she was at McDonalds, they drove around and picked up a second masked man...robbed her.. were these young guys? Older guys?). A female college student at St. Cloud was approached in her car by a masked man who ordered her out with a gun. Young guy? Old guy? The mask is pretty specific, isn't it?

Sick and sad as it is, since the statute is expired for Jacob and Jared (sans a murder charge) maybe LE could negotiate a trade for information in exchange for a 'lighter' murder charge (say manslaughter). Don't these guys have a deep rooted concern for their image, perverse as it sounds? I could be wrong but that's what I've always though, that they have some warped inflated ego where they don't confess because it would ruin their 'image'.

The thing about SH though is that Devlin intended to kill him after the first month or so. SH begged him not to and something clicked in Devlin, and he kept him. That wasn't his MO, it was an evolution of his crime (whether SH was his first victim or not). Looking at it this way I think these guys think on their feet to some degree once they're in the midst of committing their crimes. That makes some of their behavior in the act unpredictable.

This makes sense, and is similar to what I have been thinking since DJH was named POI a couple of weeks ago. I definitely think LE was using what info they had in trying to get more.

I find it telling that we still would not know what we now know about DJH (from the warrant and affidavit) if the *advertiser censored* charges were not under federal jurisdiction. Part of pursuing federal charges against him includes making the warrant public, which is where we find Jacob's name brought in as part of the purpose of the warrant.

Exactly. I think they are still protecting a witness who does in fact have possession of material evidence. But I think they can't figure out who it is.

So, do you think this, or something similar, is why DR's farm was searched so much?

All conjecture, but yes, it fits. It fits that LE doesn't know who the source is (esp. if as above it is a secondary source and the primary died), but dang they must be reliable. So, maybe it was DR? He knew about the car, so why not?

Okaaaay -- your explanation is logical but something doesn't sit right for me. My understanding is that DJH voluntarily allowed the tire impressions to be taken back then - wonder if they asked about a vehicle search as well and he refused. IMO if he'd truly been a top suspect back then things would have played out a bit differently- I think for various reasons DR was the key suspect; that LE pegged DJH as a "garden variety" perv who didnt fit the profile of a murderer. Even as late as 1990 the "neighborhood perv" wasn't viewed so much as a dangerous criminal but with a more benign disgust. Whereas a grown man who lived with his parents was seen as positively glow-in-the-dark weird. Just my feeling. And personally - I don't even care about punishment - I just want the Wetterlings to know what happened.

I know, it doesn't sit right because maybe we're assuming the wrong things. Yes, maybe the POI did refuse. The only other option then would have been to use a warrant. But a warrant requires that you reveal why/how you suspect something (and therefore, why your warrant is justified). And that is the part that exposes the "secret" witness, and what they might have been trying to avoid. Don't spook the hand that is feeding you, so to speak. I feel the same way regarding the last part. I've said before that this is an ongoing, active crime against those that care the most about JEW. So convictions are secondary to ending the crime itself. jmo.

btw: by volunteering information initially, the POI appears as if he has nothing to hide. I think he was supremely confident that they could not connect him to the crime. But when/if they asked for a warrant he had to draw a line.

Sick and sad as it is, since the statute is expired for Jacob and Jared (sans a murder charge) maybe LE could negotiate a trade for information in exchange for a 'lighter' murder charge (say manslaughter). Don't these guys have a deep rooted concern for their image, perverse as it sounds? I could be wrong but that's what I've always though, that they have some warped inflated ego where they don't confess because it would ruin their 'image'.

I like the first part. That is a good idea. LE would have to offer a lighter charge in exchange for "privileged" information or evidence from a third party. Don't even know if they can do that. I wonder?

The thing about SH though is that Devlin intended to kill him after the first month or so. SH begged him not to and something clicked in Devlin, and he kept him. That wasn't his MO, it was an evolution of his crime (whether SH was his first victim or not). Looking at it this way I think these guys think on their feet to some degree once they're in the midst of committing their crimes. That makes some of their behavior in the act unpredictable.

Don't know who Devlin is but it sounds awful. I had said earlier that the combination of the POI's personality and a firearm led to an outcome that was sadly predictable. When someone like that loses control of a situation and has a firearm in their hands they don't think, they just panic.

btw: by volunteering information initially, the POI appears as if he has nothing to hide. I think he was supremely confident that they could not connect him to the crime. But when/if they asked for a warrant he had to draw a line.

But why, why, why?? Why was he so confident that the tire info alone would not have been enough to connect him? He must also have been confident that they would not go so far as to request a warrant, for precisely the reason you stated. Or if they did request one then either 1. He would have at least an idea of who was giving LE info, or 2. Whoever was giving info would stop. Hope my reasoning makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810