Syria - Jacqueline Vienneau, 33, Hama, 31 March 2007 - Canadian

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the Toronto Star March 14/10:

A federal official was on the phone last October, telling Kathryn Murray something so utterly outrageous regarding her missing daughter, the distraught Toronto mother almost lost it right there.

It's the kind of logic that makes a heartbroken parent want to tear out her hair.

Murray was nearing the 1,000-day mark in the disappearance of her daughter, Nicole Vienneau, 32, who vanished in Syria. She was last seen at her hotel the morning of March 31, 2007, and then – nothing.

Murray was talking to the privacy official because a few months earlier, in May 2009, someone in foreign affairs told the family they'd have to file an access-to-information request if they wanted to see reports given to the Canadian embassy in Damascus by their own Syrian lawyer, and intended for them.

(Each federal government department has its own information and privacy protection section.)

"Well, we can't give you anything about Nicole," Murray says the privacy official informed her in October, five months after they'd filed their requests and jumped through required hoops.

"We'd need to get Nicole's permission and I can't give it to you without her consent."

Murray was dumbfounded.

"But I'm trying to find my daughter," she replied. "My daughter Nicole is missing. We've been searching for her for almost three years."

They went back and forth, with Murray becoming more agitated.

"My frustration level, I would have to say, was pretty high and it got to the point I was almost yelling into the phone that I would have to have my daughter declared dead in order to get information about how to find her!" says Murray.

"Then, they said, 'Yes, if she's been declared dead, then, yes, you can have this information.' "

846374bf4547a5a40f9d3a56ac0a.jpeg

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/779610--privacy-zealots-compound-a-family-s-torment?bn=1

From the Toronto Star March 14/10:

A federal official was on the phone last October, telling Kathryn Murray something so utterly outrageous regarding her missing daughter, the distraught Toronto mother almost lost it right there.

It's the kind of logic that makes a heartbroken parent want to tear out her hair.

Murray was nearing the 1,000-day mark in the disappearance of her daughter, Nicole Vienneau, 32, who vanished in Syria. She was last seen at her hotel the morning of March 31, 2007, and then – nothing.

Murray was talking to the privacy official because a few months earlier, in May 2009, someone in foreign affairs told the family they'd have to file an access-to-information request if they wanted to see reports given to the Canadian embassy in Damascus by their own Syrian lawyer, and intended for them.

(Each federal government department has its own information and privacy protection section.)

"Well, we can't give you anything about Nicole," Murray says the privacy official informed her in October, five months after they'd filed their requests and jumped through required hoops.

"We'd need to get Nicole's permission and I can't give it to you without her consent."

Murray was dumbfounded.

"But I'm trying to find my daughter," she replied. "My daughter Nicole is missing. We've been searching for her for almost three years."

They went back and forth, with Murray becoming more agitated.

"My frustration level, I would have to say, was pretty high and it got to the point I was almost yelling into the phone that I would have to have my daughter declared dead in order to get information about how to find her!" says Murray.

"Then, they said, 'Yes, if she's been declared dead, then, yes, you can have this information.' "

846374bf4547a5a40f9d3a56ac0a.jpeg

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/779610--privacy-zealots-compound-a-family-s-torment?bn=1
Thank you for posting this, Lexiintoronto - Outrageous as it is!
icon9.gif

Absolute devastation for Nicole's family. I can’t imagine what they are going through. Prayer creates miracles and a miracle is what it's going to take.

Nicole disappeared in Syria on Saturday, March 31, 2007. Please prayer for answers soon. I can't imagine the pain her family is going through today... and everyday that Nicole is not home. March 31 is not a good day for them and hopefully her family will get some answers real soon. This nightmare has gone on too long.

http://vienneau.livejournal.com/39588.html?page=19#comments

Thank you for moving Nicole Vienneau's thread from the Missing/Located to Missing but not forgotten.

I hope that Nicole's family will have some answers soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back