SYRIA - Shamima Begum, 15, joined ISIS, can return for UK citizenship fight, Feb 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is like the grand bull moose of politically charged topics that Websleuths could possibly tackle.

I predict that the UK will use this as propaganda opportunity, portraying her as a "groomed child" and sensationalizing her experiences

I'm glad it was much more difficult for US girls to make this "journey" because right now they would be consumed entirely by the political/media machine. A fate arguably worse than a life prison sentence.

Will be interesting to see how this goes.
She won't be able to live in the UK regardless because she will get murdered, and she won't be able to pick a European country to hide in because Brexit.
Maybe she can seek asylum in Syria?

She aided and abetted the terrorist regime against the Syrian government. Maybe they'll now pick her up, charge her murderous butt, the jail her for life in a Syrian prison.

This is like the grand bull moose of politically charged topics that Websleuths could possibly tackle.

I predict that the UK will use this as propaganda opportunity, portraying her as a "groomed child" and sensationalizing her experiences

I'm glad it was much more difficult for US girls to make this "journey" because right now they would be consumed entirely by the political/media machine. A fate arguably worse than a life prison sentence.

I don’t think so. They haven’t been that keen to have her back.

All her kids are dead now, right?

She's not coming back yet as the Government will appeal. This will take a few months. She has no passport, so if she is allowed to return, she'll need to get a passport. This would be fairly straightforward with government help, but difficult without help. It's unlikely the government will make it easy for her. If she returns, I am absolutely certain she'll be detained under terrorism legislation. It's difficult to prove membership of ISIS, but her words will be used against her.

Ultimately she'll, at best (for her) be in the UK to appeal against the decision to withdraw her citizenship. She may still fail at that point.

Personally, I think she's a danger to the nation and everyone in it. I don't care how old she was when she left. I don't believe she was groomed. I believe she actively chose to go to ISIS in Syria. They (2 others travelled with her) in made all the travel arrangements and none have shown any regret. She chose to go to Syria. If ISIS was still in power there, I am certain she'd still be fine about seeing people beheaded and continue to believe atrocities such as the Manchester bombing are acceptable.

If she (and others like her) returns, they will cost us a fortune in surveillance. She is an ISIS wife, I believe she joined ISIS herself and would have brought up ISIS children to hate and destroy our country.

I realise the citizenship issue is tricky as the alternative is somewhat tenuous. I don't wish her on any other country either. I don't have all the answers, but I really hope she and others like her, never set foot on our shores again.

Can you please explain why you think this? It's a massive assumption based on what, with respect, seems to have no basis in either actual knowledge or fact.

But, if we're in the realms of playing at predictions, I predict you think she should be sent to Guantánamo Bay to be used as a 'propaganda opportunity, portraying her as a "child soldier" and sensationalising her experiences' before being tortured and imprisoned possibly for the rest of her life, without trial? Or would you prefer a lethal injection?

Can you please explain why you think this? It's a massive assumption based on what, with respect, seems to have no basis in either actual knowledge or fact.

But, if we're in the realms of playing at predictions, I predict you think she should be sent to Guantánamo Bay to be used as a 'propaganda opportunity, portraying her as a "child soldier" and sensationalising her experiences' before being tortured and imprisoned possibly for the rest of her life, without trial? Or would you prefer a lethal injection?
I base it on the above article on her being allowed to return to England.

Lord Justice Flaux - sitting with Lady Justice King and Lord Justice Singh - said: "Fairness and justice must, on the facts of this case, outweigh the national security concerns, so that the leave to enter appeals should be allowed."

And that is is further stated by the home office that once she's back in the UK it will be impossible to remove her.

I'm sorry that you feel personally offended by my general speculation on what a country will end up doing with this person and go on to project that my personal opinion is that she should be dealt with in the most extreme way another country deals with foreign combatants. My personal opinion is that nothing should be done with her. She renounced her citizenship and now she is no different from any other refugee. The time and money being spent on this pursuit could be better invested in tightening up whatever loose systems allowed a teenage girl to run away to Syria in the first place, starting with some scrutiny on her parents. I often argue for more parental responsibility when children commit crimes and in this case, her father feeling the need to make statements to the press definitely rubs me the wrong way.

I base it on the above article on her being allowed to return to England.

Lord Justice Flaux - sitting with Lady Justice King and Lord Justice Singh - said: "Fairness and justice must, on the facts of this case, outweigh the national security concerns, so that the leave to enter appeals should be allowed."

Over 66 million people live in the UK, so asserting that the views of 3 judges represent the entire UK, is astonishing.

Over 66 million people live in the UK, so asserting that the views of 3 judges represent the entire UK, is astonishing.
Obviously not every person in a country is in agreement with their national policies but I certainly hope that federal (royal?) judges are representatives of their nation.

I’m not convinced this is the right precedent. I feel uneasy with politicians deciding nationality based upon populism. She’s clearly British, she’s clearly a criminal. To decide someone is Bangladeshi because you are brown is just crazy.

but it is Priti Patel who ejected people to Jamaica or west Africa based on a similar strategy. Apparently your rights can be struck off if you don’t look that British.

real shame. Not for the girl, she made her choice, but for British standards

A 31-year-old Swedish woman who in August 2014 took her then two-year-old son with her, and went to Syria as "she was curious, and wanted to experience the caliphate there", have been sentenced to 3 years in jail for the abduction of her son. Her ex-husband sought and got sole custody when he realised that the boy were in Syria.
While the woman were in Syria she married a Tunisian man, and had two daughters with him. The woman managed to get back to Sweden with the children in the autumn 2020, and was arrested for the abduction of her son, and has been in custody since. The boy is back with his father, and the two girls are in foster care. Their paternal relatives wants to get custody, as "they don't want them to grow up in Sweden".
Mamma som reste till IS dömd till tre års fängelse

I do hope the two little girls will be allowed to stay in Sweden (perhaps not with the mother), as I don't they would get a good (and free) life in Tunisia.

Shamima Begum's trial started this week in London. She is appealing the loss of her British citizenship. She lost her appeal to return to the UK to fight her accusations.

She is still in Syria so obviously all her appeals and the cost of her lawyers will be being funded by the British taxpayer.

Shamima Begum has lost a Court of Appeal decision to regain her UK citizenship.
The ruling means the 24-year-old must remain in Syria. The government stripped her citizenship on national security grounds in 2019.
Ms Begum left London nine years ago aged 15 to travel to Syria and join Islamic State group, or IS.
The ruling by three appeal judges was unanimous. It could still be challenged in the Supreme Court by Ms Begum.
Her solicitor, Daniel Furner said that her legal team was "not going to stop fighting until she does get justice and until she is safely back home".
However the judges wholly dismissed all of Ms Begum's arguments - a highly significant rejection that could affect her ability to gain a full appeal at the Supreme Court.

Shamima Begum has lost a Court of Appeal decision to regain her UK citizenship.
The ruling means the 24-year-old must remain in Syria. The government stripped her citizenship on national security grounds in 2019.
Ms Begum left London nine years ago aged 15 to travel to Syria and join Islamic State group, or IS.
The ruling by three appeal judges was unanimous. It could still be challenged in the Supreme Court by Ms Begum.
Her solicitor, Daniel Furner said that her legal team was "not going to stop fighting until she does get justice and until she is safely back home".
However the judges wholly dismissed all of Ms Begum's arguments - a highly significant rejection that could affect her ability to gain a full appeal at the Supreme Court.
I really hope British taxpayers are not having to find her appeals through legal aid.

Application to appeal to Supreme Court denied.

The government stripped her citizenship on national security grounds in 2019, leaving her stateless.

I really wish the media would stop referring to her as being "stateless" and that the UK government rendered so. She's a Bangladeshi citizen and Bangladeshi law is very clear on that point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reporter-C.Lin
Back