Taylor Univ Crash Victim Misidentified 5 Weeks Ago

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One Of Victims Was Misidentified As Survivor After April Crash

A truck driver was charged Friday with five counts of reckless homicide for a highway crash that crushed a university van and led to the heartbreaking mix-up of two students, one killed in the crash and the other severely injured but alive.

A four-month investigation concluded that trucker Robert F. Spencer acted recklessly when his tractor-trailer rig crossed the highway median and collided with the van on April 26, Grant County Prosecutor James Luttrull Jr. said.

Four Taylor University students and a staff member were killed.

more at link

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/01/national/main1961865.shtml?source=RSS&attr=U.S._1961865

THanks for this update chico.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5554540

The tort claim filed on behalf of crash survivor Whitney Cerak of Gaylord (Michigan), her parents and sister targets the actions of Grant County Coroner Ron Mowery in identifying the four Taylor students and one employee who were killed in the April 26th crash.

The claim seeks unspecified damages for emotional trauma.

more at link

Who files a lawsuit over this? Sue the guy in the semi, but the coroner? Her own family didn't even realize what had happened, but the coroner is responsible for trusting those who knew these girls?

Give me a freaking break. My pity just ran out.

angelmom said:
Who files a lawsuit over this? Sue the guy in the semi, but the coroner? Her own family didn't even realize what had happened, but the coroner is responsible for trusting those who knew these girls?

I am with you. Let's heal and be thankful.

angelmom said:
Yes, that is the coroner's job, to ensure that person you are pronouncing dead is indeed, beyond the shadow of a doubt the person. This coroner screwed up major big time, resulting in the Cerak's grief and funeral expenses for a daughter they thought was their own!!! I do pity the Cerak's and the Van Ryn's because both had to go through the grief of losing a daughter, but at least the Cerak's did get her back.

My opinion: Your child is returned to you. Leave well enough alone.

angelmom said:

Maybe Whitney needs to sue her own family for not recognizing her for five weeks! This is nuts.

Good Grief!!! Nobody is infallable. The coroner is not responsible for this mix-up.
The anger and lawsuits should be amied at the driver of the semi who hit these kids.
Whitneys own family did not recognize her for five weeks. I am so sorry for the family who lost there love one but this lawsuit is not appropriate in my opinion.

mjak

LinasK said:
Yes, that is the coroner's job, to ensure that person you are pronouncing dead is indeed, beyond the shadow of a doubt the person. This coroner screwed up major big time, resulting in the Cerak's grief and funeral expenses for a daughter they thought was their own!!! I do pity the Cerak's and the Van Ryn's because both had to go through the grief of losing a daughter, but at least the Cerak's did get her back.
What you said.

Hoppy

sleuthin4fun said:
Maybe Whitney needs to sue her own family for not recognizing her for five weeks! This is nuts.
Whitney's family thought she was dead. They did not go to the hospital to visit and see the girl who was there. The girl in the hospital was 2 1/2 or 3 hours away in a different city. There's no way they could have recognized her if they weren't there!

Hoppy

kittykat1 said:
My opinion: Your child is returned to you. Leave well enough alone.
I agree. From the depths of despair to the height of joy, I would be thanking God for this mistake. I would not even think of suing anyone. However, I would make sure that there were improved procedures in place to help prevent something like this from happening again.

I have mixed feeling on this. I am sure this mix up cause some problems for them. Don't get me wrong, I would be thanking my lucky stars. However, what if they are suing to recoup the cost of the funeral/burial, insurance payouts, etc.

After thinking their daughter was deceased I am sure that insurance policies were cashed, etc. to pay for expenses. Wouldn't these have to be paid back?

Just wondering aloud.

2luvmy said:
...what if they are suing to recoup the cost of the funeral/burial, insurance payouts, etc...

You would think that a settlement could be reached without a lawsuit, but I don't know...

nanandjim said:
You would think that a settlement could be reached without a lawsuit, but I don't know...
And maybe that's what will happen. Most lawsuits, if they're not dropped, are settled out of court.

hoppyfrog said:
Whitney's family thought she was dead. They did not go to the hospital to visit and see the girl who was there. The girl in the hospital was 2 1/2 or 3 hours away in a different city. There's no way they could have recognized her if they weren't there!

Hoppy

The coroner based his identification on the ID of family and friends at the scene, her ID at the scene. He followed the standard procedures. I'm sure if anyone had raised a single question, they would have confirmed. But I assume the family had the option to view their child's body in the morgue.
Did they decline? Did they misidentify her? Did they question the coroner?

There were questions posed to the doctors, who brushed it off. Are they named?

These people should be focusing on their child's rehabilitation and not a bunch of sleazy lawyers who are going to take 1/3.

JMHO

Nearly two years after being mistaken for a fellow college student who died in a crash, Whitney Cerak still marvels at being alive.

The 20-year-old Cerak describes her feelings in a new book released today.
Entitled "Mistaken Identity," it tells how Cerak was believed to be Laura Van Ryn, who died with five other people in the wreck on an Indiana highway.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6042718

Matt Lauer had a two hour show on this week about the book and the events of those five weeks. It's been replaying on MSNBC and late this afternoon I was able to watch. It's an incredible program with so much of the story and updates. I was able to not cry until the very end, but that was tough. If you can still catch it, I highly recommend the program, especially for those whom followed this when the news first came out.

Matt Lauer had a two hour show on this week about the book and the events of those five weeks. It's been replaying on MSNBC and late this afternoon I was able to watch. It's an incredible program with so much of the story and updates. I was able to not cry until the very end, but that was tough. If you can still catch it, I highly recommend the program, especially for those whom followed this when the news first came out.

CD...I watched the entire thing as well, and was very moved. I especially am touched by the fact that the two families are so united, that no one seems to be assigning blame, and that there doesn't appear to be misplaced anger over what can only be described as an incredible set of coincidences.

The fact that the coroner's procedures are being updated to require a positive ID without a lawsuit or a huge PR mess just goes to show that humans can learn from their experiences without someone needing a check.

I was impressed by everyone involved for their restraint, respect, and the dignity they offered both of these young women. I thought it was a very well done piece.

OH thanks I will watch for this. I followed this story very closely and am interested in the epilogue. thanks CD.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back