Tennesse Body Farm

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a special on the Body Farm years ago, it was either on TLc, Discovery or National Geographic. This was back when no one really heard about the place and I was kinda shocked. It was VERY interesting, but gruesome. I really wish they would replay it or I could find that episode. It literally was a body farm, theres a huge field-like area with dead bodies laying around on the ground EVERYwhere, each in a different state of decompostion. It showed the staff there going out and examining them each day, touching them, etc, really gross. It made me feel really bad for these people that died and are just laying out in the elements rotting away, being poked around at, but at the same time you could see how much its helping people learn about death and how our bodies go through the process.

Wow, thanks, will look that one up to. I just might donate my body to them ---- I think I'd have to pay, but that would be okay. I will ask for them to particularly put me in the sun as I use to be a sun worshiper, but age has taught me to take the sun with more caution. But, what the H, once I'm dead, what would it matter. Do you think I would tan?

Dadgum Poco, what a thought..yes you would tan.:bang:

I just read in the paper that they are starting 2 more body farms here in Texas.

I did not realize that the town of Oak Ridge was developed in the 40's in order to build and kind of hide the uranium enrichment facility for the Little Boy. Sorry for the O/T, but it's not often I get to learn a bit about the state I was born in, and this is cool because this small town seems to be a Mecca for scientists.
Only thing I knew up until now about Tennessee is that I was born in the hospital where Elvis was pronounced dead, and my dad did some work at Graceland when Elvis was around (he has crazy Elvis stories, The King was fruit loops)
At any rate, I know that Dr. Vass will be the key player as far as testifying and it will be his opinions under the gun, but I think there is something to be said for the long history, as you guys have noted above, of this Farm and lab. As much as the air sampling is considered to be "new science," I believe the jury should consider the source.
If it were Hawking or NASA talking about new space technology or theory, that would carry weight. If it was MIT putting out computer algorithms, it would carry weight. Johns Hopkins or Mayo with newly developed cancer treatments, weighty-and so forth.
They are the leaders in this field-I hope it is well impressed upon the jury who this group is and that they don't tend to put junk on the table.

A Non-Fiction book you might enjoy: "Stiff-the Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach. This book was awesome, I couldn't put it down until I finished it! She took a tour of the Body Farm and talks a lot about it in the book as well.
I absolutely love Mary Roach's books. Stiff is the best one! Her trip to the body farm was like being there yourself. So funny and informative.

IIRC, I saw a program recently about The Body Farm. Not only do they test different decomposition rates, they also test the insects on and inside the body. It showed people from the Body Farm taking samples of insects to see what stage of "life" (?) they are in and what part of the body they came from. Very interesting!

Hmm...wonder if the Body Farm tested for coffin flies and adipocere in the Anthony case?

Morbid maybe, but I am glad the body farm exists, along with the technology to speak for those who have been forever silenced. I admire those dedicated souls who toil there.

Thanks for the book titles. Patricia Cornwell happens to be one of my favorite authors.

IIRC, I saw a program recently about The Body Farm. Not only do they test different decomposition rates, they also test the insects on and inside the body. It showed people from the Body Farm taking samples of insects to see what stage of "life" (?) they are in and what part of the body they came from. Very interesting!

Hmm...wonder if the Body Farm tested for coffin flies and adipocere in the Anthony case?

I think Dr Haskil has his own version of a body farm in Indiana. IIRC he identified a certain species of coffin fly and adipocere on the napkins.

Dr Huntington disagrees with Dr Haskil's findings, and use of the term coffin flies, so this one should make for a true battle of the experts. My money's on Dr Haskell with his 50 years of experience and countless actual case histories.

Dr Huntington lost some credability with me right off the bat, when he suggested the smell could come from the contents of that trash bag. :waitasec:

I think Dr Haskil has his own version of a body farm in Indiana. IIRC he identified a certain species of coffin fly and adipocere on the napkins.

Dr Huntington disagrees with Dr Haskil's findings, and use of the term coffin flies, so this one should make for a true battle of the experts. My money's on Dr Haskell with his 50 years of experience and countless actual case histories.

Dr Huntington lost some credability with me right off the bat, when he suggested the smell could come from the contents of that trash bag. :waitasec:

I wonder how much $$$ the taxpayers had to pay for that little morsel of baloney?!

This place is absolutely incredible and never knew it was there until this case and now I want to learn more and more and more about it.

Here are some links if you have any interest. I just purchased the book called Death's Acres.

http://www.rense.com/politics6/flesh.htm

http://www.jeffersonbass.com/videos.html

http://whyfiles.org/192forensic_anthro/2.html

I think this is so incredibly interesting - thought you might, too!
--------------------
Isnt it just fantastic? I've been reading there for a couple years now. There is so much to learn.:seeya:

Just out of curiosity....How many of you would donate your body? I knew a gentleman that was a professor at UT, and he donated his body. At the time, I was much younger and thought that was strange, but now, I know it's just our earthly body, and it would be cheaper than a funeral. Like I would care at that point! LOL

Just out of curiosity....How many of you would donate your body? I knew a gentleman that was a professor at UT, and he donated his body. At the time, I was much younger and thought that was strange, but now, I know it's just our earthly body, and it would be cheaper than a funeral. Like I would care at that point! LOL

Every state is different and you need to see how your state operates. I don't know if it matters where the death event occurs (in the home or hospital).

Places you can start with are:
1) contact any medical school in your area and ask if they have a donation program (most do)
2) contact your local Medical Examiner's office and ask them
3) contact your local hospice chapter and ask them.

What you do need to do is make your intentions very clear with your remaining family members and get it documented in your paperwork EXACTLY what you want done. If you are in the hospital, you make this part of your chart when you get admitted. I'm glad you are thinking of this now.

The other thing is to consider being an organ donor now. My state has this indicated on my driver's license and you can "opt out" at any time if you change your mind. So if you get in that serious accident or head trauma event - you can still help others. But be sure to convey your intentions with your family! Don't share your intentions with just one or two people. This is a situation where the more who know, the merrier. It saves alot of hurt feelings and confusion among family members later.

And finally, if you chose cremation those ashes can still give valuable service. Many teams with cadaver dogs use them to train their dogs. So if that is something anyone is considering, contact the local teams in your area and set this up with them. The same thing is true with placentas, dental extractions, surgeries that remove things such as amputations or hysterectomies. Some require a little planning and prior approvals but it's amazing what people can get back when they say "It's for personal (or religious) reasons" and your local SAR or HRD team will bless you for years to come.

This place is absolutely incredible and never knew it was there until this case and now I want to learn more and more and more about it.

Here are some links if you have any interest. I just purchased the book called Death's Acres.

http://www.rense.com/politics6/flesh.htm

http://www.jeffersonbass.com/videos.html

http://whyfiles.org/192forensic_anthro/2.html

I think this is so incredibly interesting - thought you might, too!

Thank you! :) I never knew it existed either, until this case. I would LOVE to go there!

I wonder how they regulate the tests for locale? Seems like FL would be very different from Minnesota,KWIM?

I agree and would do it,but would consider the wishes of my family before signing on the dotted line.
Some family members may want a gravesite to go visit,some want to scatter ashes in a memorable way,and some want to hang onto those ashes because it's all they have left <-----------------:innocent:

Logically you know it's just an empty shell,but there can be a very illogical way of dealing with grief and death,when it happens to a loved one.

----------
The autopsy report showed Dr.G.found a small amount of adipocere on one of the leg bones.I watched this program last night,so interesting as long as one has a tough tummy. The people who donated their bodies gave SO much to science.:seeya:.I agree on Dr.Haskel.

I have a question about DNA recovery from a body, left out in the open, six days, so stage 3 decomposition. the body was in FL, in Feb and it did rain for a few days after the person was murdered and left out. They were near pine trees so the ground would be acidic. The victim was a female child (age 12) and according to what I have read, they could not tell if the child was raped. The body was nude from the waist down. This murder was in 1993, I know we had DNA technology but it was new. I have asked around but can't get an answer to my question which is: why couldn't they tell if the girl was raped? She was found six days after she was missing, and left they think shortly after she was murdered, out in the open near pine trees on a path. Was the body too decomposed at that point to recover any DNA that may have been in or on the body? Would the gases and liquids forming inside the body cavity destroy any evidence of rape? I know that at stage 3 there is still a lot of flesh on the body from what I have read, but the inside is full of the flies and maggots and the body is now making gases and fluids inside and blot the body. If any one knows would you pm me or reply to my question?

TIA

Wow, thanks, will look that one up to. I just might donate my body to them ---- I think I'd have to pay, but that would be okay. I will ask for them to particularly put me in the sun as I use to be a sun worshiper, but age has taught me to take the sun with more caution. But, what the H, once I'm dead, what would it matter. Do you think I would tan?

Yeah. You'd tan all kinds of colors...:sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member