Tennesse Body Farm

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This place is absolutely incredible and never knew it was there until this case and now I want to learn more and more and more about it.

Here are some links if you have any interest. I just purchased the book called Death's Acres.

http://www.rense.com/politics6/flesh.htm

http://www.jeffersonbass.com/videos.html

http://whyfiles.org/192forensic_anthro/2.html

I think this is so incredibly interesting - thought you might, too!

I have that book too!! It is really fascinating! I think it was when it was found out the results on ICA's car/decomp when I bought it and researched that place online!

I have a question about DNA recovery from a body, left out in the open, six days, so stage 3 decomposition. the body was in FL, in Feb and it did rain for a few days after the person was murdered and left out. They were near pine trees so the ground would be acidic. The victim was a female child (age 12) and according to what I have read, they could not tell if the child was raped. The body was nude from the waist down. This murder was in 1993, I know we had DNA technology but it was new. I have asked around but can't get an answer to my question which is: why couldn't they tell if the girl was raped? She was found six days after she was missing, and left they think shortly after she was murdered, out in the open near pine trees on a path. Was the body too decomposed at that point to recover any DNA that may have been in or on the body? Would the gases and liquids forming inside the body cavity destroy any evidence of rape? I know that at stage 3 there is still a lot of flesh on the body from what I have read, but the inside is full of the flies and maggots and the body is now making gases and fluids inside and blot the body. If any one knows would you pm me or reply to my question?

TIA

Only speculation on my part, but the weather would have alot to do with that. Could it have rained? The rain would definately wash evidence away...maybe Joypath can give a better answer...

Calling out to JOYPATH....:rocker:

JMHO

Justice for Caylee

I have a question about DNA recovery from a body, left out in the open, six days, so stage 3 decomposition. the body was in FL, in Feb and it did rain for a few days after the person was murdered and left out. They were near pine trees so the ground would be acidic. The victim was a female child (age 12) and according to what I have read, they could not tell if the child was raped. The body was nude from the waist down. This murder was in 1993, I know we had DNA technology but it was new. I have asked around but can't get an answer to my question which is: why couldn't they tell if the girl was raped? She was found six days after she was missing, and left they think shortly after she was murdered, out in the open near pine trees on a path. Was the body too decomposed at that point to recover any DNA that may have been in or on the body? Would the gases and liquids forming inside the body cavity destroy any evidence of rape? I know that at stage 3 there is still a lot of flesh on the body from what I have read, but the inside is full of the flies and maggots and the body is now making gases and fluids inside and blot the body. If any one knows would you pm me or reply to my question?

TIA

:twocents: I previously read this post and as noted, delayed...hesitated...declined to reply as I thought it might be O/T but let's approach this as if it were a final examination test question rather than a real life situation.

:innocent: Firstly Bern, if this involves a member of your inner circle be she family or friend, my condolences of your loss, even all these years later.
Scientifically: The ONE clue in a completed sexual assault/rape is the evidence of seminal fluid, this is picked up by chemical testing at the scene and yes, the rain or any water/fluids present MAY dilute the fluids left but the test is a rather specific reaction. HOWEVER, the perp may have used a condom, not ejaculated or if ejaculated, may NOT HAVE LEFT spermatozoa for DNA testing. Given the guidelines of my jurisdiction, all body cavities would be evaluated as part of a sexual assault kit, what was done in that jurisdiction in 1993 is "up for grabs".
Absolutely fact that DNA test existed in 1993 BUT the database was small and the time frame to get results was LONG! There were few reasons to "get" samples of DNA unlike todays' rule of a felony conviction equals DNA donation and a lifelong registry! (On topic to Casey Anthony: they "got" hers!):floorlaugh:
Your question regarding the body condition is closer to the reasoning IMHO why if an assault occurred it could not be CONFIRMED. Without graphic details, the decomposition process can be accelerated by the insects upon the moist, usually protected by clothing body areas and again, if blood pooling occurs from ANY reason there is an increase in certain insect/animal activity. Standard methods of identifying suspect non-consensual/"brutal"/aggressive sexual (and in a 12 yr old, IMHO all terms APPLY!:banghead:) activity is to visually observe the internal & external labia & mons area. Decomposition, slippage & bloat CAN obliterate a visual examination. While the date was February, I'm unsure what the environmental factors were that would/could influence the state of the body but traditionally COLD preserves and HEAT destroys biological evidence, inclusive of the body itself.
:sick: This is NOT an easy topic to discuss/explain or even share because what is screaming out from Bern's example is somebody's PAIN at not knowing what happened FOR SURE to a loved one, be it (he/she) a child or adult. :maddening: Rest assured that the efforts and achievements that this victim's life provided to ALL those involved in HER quest for "justice" made up the stepping stones that allow the SUCCESSFUL resolution and justice for another's family.........AND MAYBE EVEN STOPPED ANOTHER CRIME!

:twocents: N.B. The information I'm attempting to impart is based on the sketchy material presented above AND without hard-copy background data yet the experience of this being 2011 vs 1993 (years (gulp) I'm admitting I remember vividly!):seeya:

If I overstepped boundaries by answering Bern and LiveLaughLuv, mea culpa and mods:rocker:......do thy thing!:innocent:

:twocents: I previously read this post and as noted, delayed...hesitated...declined to reply as I thought it might be O/T but let's approach this as if it were a final examination test question rather than a real life situation.

:innocent: Firstly Bern, if this involves a member of your inner circle be she family or friend, my condolences of your loss, even all these years later.
Scientifically: The ONE clue in a completed sexual assault/rape is the evidence of seminal fluid, this is picked up by chemical testing at the scene and yes, the rain or any water/fluids present MAY dilute the fluids left but the test is a rather specific reaction. HOWEVER, the perp may have used a condom, not ejaculated or if ejaculated, may NOT HAVE LEFT spermatozoa for DNA testing. Given the guidelines of my jurisdiction, all body cavities would be evaluated as part of a sexual assault kit, what was done in that jurisdiction in 1993 is "up for grabs".
Absolutely fact that DNA test existed in 1993 BUT the database was small and the time frame to get results was LONG! There were few reasons to "get" samples of DNA unlike todays' rule of a felony conviction equals DNA donation and a lifelong registry! (On topic to Casey Anthony: they "got" hers!):floorlaugh:
Your question regarding the body condition is closer to the reasoning IMHO why if an assault occurred it could not be CONFIRMED. Without graphic details, the decomposition process can be accelerated by the insects upon the moist, usually protected by clothing body areas and again, if blood pooling occurs from ANY reason there is an increase in certain insect/animal activity. Standard methods of identifying suspect non-consensual/"brutal"/aggressive sexual (and in a 12 yr old, IMHO all terms APPLY!:banghead:) activity is to visually observe the internal & external labia & mons area. Decomposition, slippage & bloat CAN obliterate a visual examination. While the date was February, I'm unsure what the environmental factors were that would/could influence the state of the body but traditionally COLD preserves and HEAT destroys biological evidence, inclusive of the body itself.
:sick: This is NOT an easy topic to discuss/explain or even share because what is screaming out from Bern's example is somebody's PAIN at not knowing what happened FOR SURE to a loved one, be it (he/she) a child or adult. :maddening: Rest assured that the efforts and achievements that this victim's life provided to ALL those involved in HER quest for "justice" made up the stepping stones that allow the SUCCESSFUL resolution and justice for another's family.........AND MAYBE EVEN STOPPED ANOTHER CRIME!

:twocents: N.B. The information I'm attempting to impart is based on the sketchy material presented above AND without hard-copy background data yet the experience of this being 2011 vs 1993 (years (gulp) I'm admitting I remember vividly!):seeya:

If I overstepped boundaries by answering Bern and LiveLaughLuv, mea culpa and mods:rocker:......do thy thing!:innocent:

Thank you so much for this reply. She was not a family member, but a young girl in our community and the case has gone unsolved for all these years. Yes it did rain and yes it was February but in FL. Yes there was blood but only the head area, unless there was damage due to rape or trauma, I can not say, but I am guessing there was. I just couldn't understand why no DNA, for this case. I know they would have collected any body fluid that may have been left behind. So my guess was, that he used a condom, as you suggested, there was too much damage to the body do to decomposition and it destroyed any evidence of rape, or this was made to look like a rape. I will re read you post as I may have missed something that is important as I am not that familiar with this area. Thank you again.

I would also like to add that I believe that this is not the location of the murder, but a place she was dumped, face down. To know if she was assaulted helps to know the motive to a killing so brutal.

I just couldn't understand why no DNA, for this case.

The rape could have been by inanimate object penetration in which case no fluid exchange.

Joypath, we are so blessed to have you here at WS. You explain things in a way that people like me, who "ain't so smart" LOL, in these matters, can totally understand. It's posters like yourself, with expertise in various areas, that make WS the great place that it is. :blowkiss:

How ironic and beautiful that we can give life after we have ceased to be. I would gladly donate my body to the Body Farm, but I already decided to be an organ donor. I don't know how useful my organs will be, since I am 74, but my family knows my wishes and approves. I am a believer that the body is just the shell. I used to tell my children that their skin is what kept their insides all together. To toss in a lesson on prejudice I repeated that everybody had the same "stuff" inside, but the skin was like a book cover, and could be any color. My kids got it, as did my dear Grands.

· I removed the part about ticket costs and where to get them but if anyone is close and interested I can give you that info. I'll be there and if anyone has ?'s they want asked let me know! I missed him last year but hope to be front row this year.

Dr. Bill Bass, forensic anthropologist and founder of “The Body Farm” at UT, is giving another lecture as a fundraiser for The Stephens Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse. This year, Dr. Bass will discuss his involvement in the Casey Anthony trial in which he gave expert testimony, establishing the presence of a decaying human body in the car trunk through gases emitted.

Dr. Bass' presentation will be at Livingston Academy on September 6, 2011. From 6-6:30 pm, Dr. Bass will be selling his books and signing autographs. At 6:45, he will give his lecture.

TIA

It's because the first parts of the body to decompose are the face and genitals. They can be completely consumed in just days. Blowflies and other insects look for soft, dark, moist areas of the body to lay eggs; so eyes, nose, mouth, genitals are where they head first. Also, any area where the tissue has been damaged. So if a body is found and the face and genitals and, for example, chest cavity are equally decomposed with the rest of the body still intact, it can be assumed that there was probably a stabbing or some other trauma to the chest. Something that opened up that area for insects to be attracted.

I just finished reading 'Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab, The Body Farm, Where the Dead Do Tell Tales' by William Bass. He explains this concept in detail. It's an excellent read for anyone interested in the Body Farm and how it all started.

I have a few pictures I took of the outside of the Body Farm when my hubby was in the hospital a few months back. It's huge. A nice doctor was observing me and the camera and started a conversation, he said it goes all the way down to the river. The entrance is "hidden in plain sight". Sorta there around the white trailer.
Hoping I still remember how to post:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/lilliebella/BodyFarmUT/bodyfarm2011.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/lilliebella/BodyFarmUT/bodyfarm2012.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/lilliebella/BodyFarmUT/bodyfarm2001-1.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/lilliebella/BodyFarmUT/bodyfarmdogs003.jpg

Just click on the links and the picture should come up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member