Terri Horman retains criminal defense attorney!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So that means she won't be telling of Kyron's location(if she is the perp)... I would take it to mean exactly that. If the defense atty does not want to know his clients guilty then he sure doesn't want to know where they hid the body.IMO

It depends on what the lawyer is doing.

One possible job for a defence attorney is to negotiate with the prosecution for a charge that accurately reflects the crime (plea bargaining).

If the lawyer is engaged in plea bargaining, they can make a "proffer" of what their client might say if the client agrees to the terms of the plea bargain. Such proffers are not admissable in court, so if the client doesn't agree to the plea bargain it doesn't affect the case.

In the case of Gary Leon Ridgway, the Green River Killer, he traded information about the locations of his victim's bodies in return for pleading guilty and taking the death penalty off the table. The families of his victims agreed because they felt that knowing the fate and location of their loved one was more important to them than the death penalty.

"Houze later Wednesday night did confirm to The Oregonian that he was representing Kyron's stepmom, but said he could not comment further."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/terri_moulton_horman_retains_p.html
Okay thank you.

I must say that is just plain ignorant, they need to update the story they already have up not write a whole new story.. Geez, I was scratching my head wondering how everyone knew for a fact he was her attorney now.

Oh lord apparently I am just tired I see now where it is the same article, updated, LOL.... I guess we see who the ignoraant one is now. I give up,

I think that :

1. Houze will not ask TH about Kyron's whereabouts. At all...

2. Houze has been following this case,and has determined that LE has only circumstantial evidence at best ( and maybe not much of that ). He has taken TH as a client because he thinks he can get either a deal or an aquittal in court.

3. Th will stay out of jail at this time. Her new attorney looks to be highly skilled at PR ; I will look for the repairing of TH's image to start right away...

All JMO

BBM above - I think IF TH fatally harmed Kyron and has retained this attorney, they will try to avoid the death penalty by telling/leading to the body or an insanity plea. But we still don't know if she even retained him (I'm leaning toward thinking he is representing her and we'll know tomorrow a bit more.)

BBM above - I think IF TH fatally harmed Kyron and has retained this attorney, they will try to avoid the death penalty by telling/leading to the body or an insanity plea. But we still don't know if she even retained him (I'm leaning toward thinking he is representing her and we'll know tomorrow a bit more.)

bbm
Houze later Wednesday night did confirm to The Oregonian that he was representing Kyron's stepmom, but said he could not comment further.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/terri_moulton_horman_retains_p.html

My fear is that she hired this attorney to protect her in the event she is about to be charged, but if she is not guilty, does LE then have any idea whatsoever what happened in this case? What if they charge her and then stop looking for other possibilities, which is usually the case?

But I guess if they do charge her without her confessing to anything, they will have to have some very strong evidence, or one would hope. I just want to know the focus was not on her all this time and no place else.

How on earth would he know that without knowledge of the case (if there is one) that LE is building against her? :waitasec:

It is his field of work, I am sure he is quite aware of her, that is his bread and butter, lawyers like him do not build a reputation by taking the small easy cases.

I'm more concerned about where Kyron is than Terri's rights. Kyron has a right to be found.

I am with you 100%

When someone hires a defense lawyer...does the lawyer ASK if the client is guilty?? Surely they don't go around bllindly trying to get them off the hook if they are really guilty?? Or maybe they do? Or do clients lie to their lawyers and tell them they aren't guilty when they really are?

Lawyers are very precise and will tell you they "only want the answer to the question they ask", not the "enhanced version", the same with when being questioned, you only tell the exact information they are asking for, as well, that is what he will want from her, I honestly think that is the only way some of those defense lawyers can sleep at night.

I never heard that:waitasec:is there a link to that?

interrupting regular programming to provide linkie...

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4409788&postcount=90"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2008.09.18 Tracy M interview audio #2[/ame]

I did a very very quick search. found this post above with a news media reference.

To hear the complete fake Casey story you'll want to listen to the Tracy interviews under the Casey Anthony tape interview evidence area.

Tracy was Padilla's employee - bondsman/bodyguard for Casey when she was out on Padilla's bail. Tracy lived 24/7 next to Casey for that timeframe. She was Casey's size & build & dressed like Casey, even wore the sunglasses. Did decoy work as well as watching Casey the entire time.

now...back to our regular programming...

She should have done this the day the flier were passed out. IF she is guilty, of course I want to see justice. But if she is innocent, she has been crucified in the media and the court of public opinion! know she was the last person to see Kyron-but I also feel someone could have slipped out with him unseen.( I know I was at my grandaughters concert a few weeks ago. No one knows me-I dont usually attend school functions, my children are grown and my grandaughter moved here a few weeks before school ended. The doors were unlocked for parents and spectators to come in-a student held the door open for me. Another student directed me to the auditorium. I watched the concert, left the school, and I don't think anyone paid me any mind. I am willing to bet later if a kid came up missing, no one could have described me, probably would not have remembered me, and would have been unable to give a good description of me-"middle aged woman, yay tall (I am 5'6"), long reddish brown hair, wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a light dark blue windbreaker."
I look like a hundred other grandma's and middle-aged moms. The school has no security camera's, I didn't speak to any teachers or school personnel, and people passed by me on their way to wherever they were going, for the most part busy or distracted. I can guarantee no one knew where I parked or what my car looked like-no one came outside when I left, and there was no one near the parking area. This is a small town and a small school (grade K-6).

So I do feel, even though TH is better known then I am, it would have been possible for a pedophile (not necessarily registered), or a kidnapper (we don't know if there was any contact or ransom) to have posed as a grandparent or an uncle or a friend, and slipped away with a child. it could have been any child, not someone pursuing Kyron. Or it could be someone who had 'groomed' him and made friends with him and he felt he knew. (Don't forget he was being taught to obey adults at school).

I am getting off topic now. I just feel she should have taken a lawyer the day she became aware they were focusing on her-perhaps she was not aware of it. If LE did want her to continue speaking freely, this was a bad time for KH to file for divorce and take her child. I am sure she won't be having friendly chats with LE now. She would need a criminal attorney before she got a civil attorney, because she needs to clear up any potential of her being charged and/or being a suspect, or she would never get her daughter back. Perhaps this will become a 'put up or shut up' to LE via her attorney.

Lawyers are very precise and will tell you they "only want the answer to the question they ask", not the "enhanced version", the same with when being questioned, you only tell the exact information they are asking for, as well, that is what he will want from her, I honestly think that is the only way some of those defense lawyers can sleep at night.

Yes, yes....I am with you. If law were my forte, I def. could not handle the "defense" side of things. I'm not very objective when it comes to "innocent until proven guilty". LOL I couldn't imagine knowing in my heart of hearts that someone was guilty, yet fighting for them. To each their own. ;)

I see a lot of people saying she should have talked sooner...but from her standpoint, doesn't it now put her in a better place. Isn't it good for her that she didn't make any type of public statements because none of that can be used against her. I'm thinking that she was clever in not making a statement and kind of playing her cards to see how everything would pan out. She knew better than to say anything.

I don't have a link, but I am positive in the article where her friends are urging her to speak out, one of them said she was only 'silent' because KH wanted it that way. Now that makes me wonder why he wanted it that way? Why would he have felt it better to not talk to media? At the time, I was still thinking in terms of a kidnapper, perhaps contact with a kidnapper, and not wanting him to be panicked. But if that is NOT the case (assuming KH moved out because he became suspicious per se of TH), why did he want silence?

I don't have a link, but I am positive in the article where her friends are urging her to speak out, one of them said she was only 'silent' because KH wanted it that way. Now that makes me wonder why he wanted it that way? Why would he have felt it better to not talk to media? At the time, I was still thinking in terms of a kidnapper, perhaps contact with a kidnapper, and not wanting him to be panicked. But if that is NOT the case (assuming KH moved out because he became suspicious per se of TH), why did he want silence?

I take that with a grain of salt. We have no way of knowing if Terri said that or if she did that she was telling the truth.

FWIW, the stuff via TH through the friends have not been accurate. I take what I hear that ultimately comes from TH with a salt shaker. I think KH meant the media, not LE. We are going to probably start seeing a spin to improve TH's reputation. I'm going to consider the source and ingest alot of salt.

It depends on what the lawyer is doing.

One possible job for a defence attorney is to negotiate with the prosecution for a charge that accurately reflects the crime (plea bargaining).

If the lawyer is engaged in plea bargaining, they can make a "proffer" of what their client might say if the client agrees to the terms of the plea bargain. Such proffers are not admissable in court, so if the client doesn't agree to the plea bargain it doesn't affect the case.

In the case of Gary Leon Ridgway, the Green River Killer, he traded information about the locations of his victim's bodies in return for pleading guilty and taking the death penalty off the table. The families of his victims agreed because they felt that knowing the fate and location of their loved one was more important to them than the death penalty.

I know that you are correct. Thanks for reminding me that this still can indeed be a positive step in the right direction for Kyron, and great possibilties that now that she has this competent atty she may indeed end up makin a plea deal of some sort of lesser charges in exchange for info leading to Kyron.. Again thanks for the reminding, I've gotten myself worked into a tizzy with fear of this could be the end of the road for getting Kyron's location..

I think this is an appropriate turn of events given that the entire English speaking world now believes that Oregon LE thinks that Terri Horman murdered Kyron Horman and stashed his body on Savie Island somewhere. She seems to be the last person to have taken that on board. What I might personally think about her potential as a suspect isn't pertinent given that I can only form opinions based on contemplating something like reflections in a funhouse mirror that is the American media. This site provides some balance, but can only examine the evidence before it; which in this case is practically nil.

I am deeply relived that the baby is out of that house for the time being though, things could get very ugly, very soon I think.

I have a terrible fear that poor Kyron will never be found and it fills me with despair.

Mr. Houze tends to take the hi profile cases- even when he knows they are guilty- because he likes to represent those he feels are "underdogs". He has had many cases here where there was no question of guilt or innocence, however has taken them on because that is his nature- a defense attorney, and they are compelling high profile publicly discussed cases. "Dr. Death" i.e. Jayant Patel, Damon Stoudamire, a former Trailblazer, etc... thoise that he considers "controversial". He professionally could likely not care less if she were guilty or innocent. This is his passion. He likes to pursue 2 avenues- mental competence cases, and technical errors by LE.

I see a lot of people saying she should have talked sooner...but from her standpoint, doesn't it now put her in a better place. Isn't it good for her that she didn't make any type of public statements because none of that can be used against her. I'm thinking that she was clever in not making a statement and kind of playing her cards to see how everything would pan out. She knew better than to say anything.

Well…but she did NOT have an attorney present during all those alleged interviews with LE. She really should have.

According to his website:
It was a typical performance for Houze, 57. Friends say he often takes cases where he sees the possibility of redemption. And he tells clients facing lengthy prison sentences that the best measure of a man is what he does after he stumbles. As in so many of Houze's cases, including last week's surprise guilty plea by terror suspect Maher ""Mike"" Hawash, the deal was cut behind closed doors before trial.
http://www.shouze.com/display-cases.asp?artID=2

I found the bolded part intresting, so I wonder if he beleives Terri is guilty of harming Kyron, that she can be redeemed......can anyone say insanity defense

One thing I can say from reading his web site, he isnt the type to not want to know if you are guilty, his web page shows many stories of people who plead guilty and he got them off relatively easy.......So maybe this means someone is ready to confess and make a deal.

I believe she will be arrested before the weekend, but I don't think the charge will be murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back