Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #11 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the original Los Angeles Times article (which I personally prefer linking to, whenever possible):

http://www.latimes.com/news/politic...y-boston-bombing-20130509,0,221311,full.story

Intelligence report identified vulnerability before Boston bombing
By Brian Bennett and Richard A. Serrano
This post has been updated, as indicated below.
May 9, 2013, 10:50 a.m.

"WASHINGTON -- Five days before two bombs tore through crowds at the Boston Marathon, an intelligence report identified the finish line of the race as an "area of increased vulnerability" and warned Boston police that extremists may use "small scale bombings" to attack spectators and runners at the event.

The 18-page report was written by the Boston Regional Intelligence Center, a command center funded in part by the Department of Homeland Security that helps disseminate intelligence information to local police and first responders.

The "joint special event assessment" is dated April 10. It notes that at the time there was "no credible, specific information indicating an imminent threat" to the race.

"The FBI has not identified any specific lone offender or extremist group who pose a threat to the Boston marathon," the report reads.

Two officials read parts of the report to a Washington Bureau reporter."

Much more...

reports ... and reports ... and more reports.

The "reports" obviously didn't get through to officials running the event!

So, they are "Chia Reports"! Water as per instructions! After the fact!!

:banghead:

I think it would be safe to say that any large gathering of people is at risk for terrorist activity. While in New Orleans at Jazz Fest this past week, I was very happy to open my purse and remove my chair from it's sheath so security could make sure I had nothing I am not supposed to have. I couldn't help but think that Jazz Fest would be the perfect place for successful terrorist activity.

reports ... and reports ... and more reports.

The "reports" obviously didn't get through to officials running the event!

So, they are "Chia Reports"! Water as per instructions! After the fact!!

:banghead:

I really don't understand what people expected the officials to have done differently. They had security there - a lot of it. But this is a public space where people were coming and going: work, school, clothes shopping, restaurants. How would you "check" each person walking down a major city street? It's not possible.

Let's say this was an ideal situation. Boston police decided that with 5 days to work with, after reading the report that said a public event COULD be a target, and that the marathon was a public event and therefore could be a target - what would they have done differently to prevent kitchen made backpack bombs from being placed in a crowd? Even if they had bomb sniffing dogs patrolling the area, identification of potential suspects and approaching them and questioning them takes minutes, while detonation takes seconds. I guess I don't see how a 5 day heads up that included the words "there is no specific threat to this event" could have led to any real change in the outcome.

I think the scary part is that some acts of terrorism are undetectable until the moment they happen. I don't fault Boston officials for not being able to predict, detect and stop two sick and twisted brothers from a random act of violence in an open public place. If we can use this horrible event to get smarter about ways to keep the public safe I am completely behind that. But I honestly don't think that we could have stopped this except by some random piece of luck, or by someone close to the brothers (like KRT) identifying what was happening in her own home and reporting them earlier on in the process.

(that's the thing that gets to me - before the bombings, to Boston police, to the FBI, these guys were faces in the crowd of bigger criminals and more imminent threats. But to their families and friends these guys were familiar and specific... I find myself thinking more and more that KRT had early warning signs, even assuming she missed the bomb building sessions in her own kitchen and the terrorism searches on her own computer...IMO, she was the one in a position to know that there was something in the works.)

I really don't understand what people expected the officials to have done differently. They had security there - a lot of it. But this is a public space where people were coming and going: work, school, clothes shopping, restaurants. How would you "check" each person walking down a major city street? It's not possible.
Snipped

Well said. The only way you can secure an event like the Boston Marathon is to not have the event. We're talking 52 miles of open air security area to protect, and that doesn't include all the side venues off the course going on. Impossible and totally unrealistic and actually a bit irresponsible to expect full security coverage.

Learn from the bombings, use it to improve how we approach security at this type of event but don't start pointing fingers.

Great CNN just sent out an alert of where tt was buried. I'm beginning to hate media more than normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's buried like 10 minutes from my house, and you know, I really don't care. I think it was careless and stupid for the media to even report it. That's just inviting people to come vandalize and / or protest. Virginians are having a hissy fit over it, and I think it's funny. What's he going to do, rise up out of the ground and attack us? Someone even said that now Muslims were going to come to Doswell to pray to him. Um, really? He's a God now? Get a grip, people.

Oh, and some are even thinking that Virginia got some kind of payoff for taking him. SMH.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

My fb "friends" that live near me are talking about chasing the woman out of the state. I've also seen a lot of talk about digging him up. This info should have never, ever been made public!

My fb "friends" that live near me are talking about chasing the woman out of the state. I've also seen a lot of talk about digging him up. This info should have never, ever been made public!

Which woman?

It's kind of a shame that the media didn't have the restraint to just sit on that one, and not share it (the burial site).

I believe the woman that donated the plot.

Ah right! I remember now. But didn't they release a statement that it is not true or that they won't do it?

Slowly getting confused with this circus. :banghead:

Yes, Capri, it's a shame. Anything to make more money I suppose.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/latest-news/article_205f4f26-b986-11e2-bafa-001a4bcf6878.html

“It's horrible what happened,” said Martha Mullen, a counselor and member of a local United Methodist church, which she declined to identify.
In a press release, Mullen said she contacted her local pastor as well as members of the Muslim, Jewish and Hindu communities.
Imam Ammar Amonette, of the Islamic Center of Virginia, said that his group was never consulted and that Mullen reached out to a separate group, the Islamic Society of Greater Richmond.
"The whole Muslim community here is furious. Frankly, we are furious that we were never given any information. It was all done secretly behind our backs," Amonette said, adding it "makes no sense whatsoever" that Tsarnaev's body was buried in Virginia.

"Now everybody who's buried in that cemetery, their loved ones are going to have to go to that place," he said.

http://tinyurl.com/d3nc6u8

Virginia county officials say they’re looking at legality of Marathon bombing suspect’s burial

By Wesley Lowery and Matt Viser, Globe Staff

DOSWELL, Va. — Officials in the county where the remains of suspected Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev have been buried say they were stunned to learn of the burial and they are looking into whether the law was followed in the process.

“I’m sure that if no laws were broken ... there’s nothing we can do,” said Floyd Thomas, chairman of the board of supervisors of Caroline County. “What we would do is make sure that all of the laws regarding this particular burial were adhered to. If they were not, then I believe we would have to look at undoing what happened.”

Muslims are not embalmed and not entombed right? How is that considered sanitary? Thank about water runoff!

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/latest-news/article_205f4f26-b986-11e2-bafa-001a4bcf6878.html

“It's horrible what happened,” said Martha Mullen, a counselor and member of a local United Methodist church, which she declined to identify.
In a press release, Mullen said she contacted her local pastor as well as members of the Muslim, Jewish and Hindu communities.
Imam Ammar Amonette, of the Islamic Center of Virginia, said that his group was never consulted and that Mullen reached out to a separate group, the Islamic Society of Greater Richmond.
"The whole Muslim community here is furious. Frankly, we are furious that we were never given any information. It was all done secretly behind our backs," Amonette said, adding it "makes no sense whatsoever" that Tsarnaev's body was buried in Virginia.

"Now everybody who's buried in that cemetery, their loved ones are going to have to go to that place," he said.

OMG! Please don't dig him up. He is nothing and nothing from nothing equals nothing. This is worthless.

http://tinyurl.com/cq4thjk

Boston Bombing Suspects Implicated In 2011 Triple Murder: Officials

From ABC:

Now law enforcement officials tell ABC News that some crime scene forensic evidence provided a match to the two Tsarnaev brothers [Tamerlan Tsarnaev and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev]. The officials also said records of cell phones used by the Tsarnaevs appears to put them in the area of the murders on that date.

The law enforcement officials who spoke to ABC on condition of anonymity, said they were waiting on further DNA evidence before bringing an indictment against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx