Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #11 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ack, I hope they don't actually expect the funeral home to foot the bill - I mean I don't want to pay one more cent toward this family, enough is enough and IMO it is the family's fault that TT is still in limbo -- however, if police have to protect the funeral home, then that's what they have to do and the home is just part of the public that deserves their protection. Jeez, the funeral director has been nothing but honorable in his actions, and it's hardly his fault the family won't make a decision.

That family!!! My gosh, enough is enough!

Really. And if his family in Russia won't come over to claim and take responsibility for the body, I don't see America as having to be in a bind over how to dispose of it 'properly,' yada, yada. We just need to be DONE with this. IMO.

Really. And if his family in Russia won't come over to claim and take responsibility for the body, I don't see America as having to be in a bind over how to dispose of it 'properly,' yada, yada. We just need to be DONE with this. IMO.

We need to give them a deadline.

This could go on forever. Costing the city money daily to protect the funeral home.

It's obvious the family (Mom and Dad) is trying to make this difficult. They are certainly not helping matters.
It's their son. They need to handle this!

I say give them a deadline then when they miss it (and we know they will) dump him in the sea.

The sooner he's off our soil the better.

He's cost us enough already!

JMO

That brown purse is puzzling me - not that I think it contains the bomb - but what is it hanging on in the left picture? Some blue kind of stick? It's not the woman's right arm, the arm is above. She seems to hold the brown purse with her left fingers but additionally there is this blue "stick" running through the handles. Weird.

And in the right picture I don't see her holding the purse. In fact to me it looks as if the bag at the feet of the blonde woman in the left picture and the purse have ended up on top of each other in front of the barrier. Maybe the two women knew each other and put both their bags together in front of the barriers to keep them out of people's feet?

Respectfully snipped.

It does appear that you and Just K, between you, have figured out what the 'package' is. Well done!

It definitely looks like the brown part of it is the older lady's handbag/purse ( the younger one appears to be holding a green one?) and the white part is what we refer to in the UK as a carrier bag and which can be seen at her feet in other pics.

http://tinyurl.com/c3ajhao

Why facial recognition tech failed in the Boston bombing manhunt

In the last decade, the US government has made a big investment in facial recognition technology. The Department of Homeland Security paid out hundreds of millions of dollars in grants to state and local governments to build facial recognition databases—pulling photos from drivers' licenses and other identification to create a massive library of residents, all in the name of anti-terrorism. In New York, the Port Authority is installing a "defense grade" computer-driven surveillance system around the World Trade Center site to automatically catch potential terrorists through a network of hundreds of digital eyes.

But then an act of terror happened in Boston on April 15. Alleged perpetrators Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev were both in the database. Despite having an array of photos of the suspects, the system couldn't come up with a match. Or at least it didn't come up with one before the Tsarnaev brothers had been identified by other means.

For people who understand how facial recognition works, this comes as no surprise. Despite advances in the technology, systems are only as good as the data they're given to work with. Real life isn't like anything you may have seen on NCIS or Hawaii Five-0. Simply put, facial recognition isn't an instantaneous, magical process. Video from a gas station surveillance camera or a police CCTV camera on some lamppost cannot suddenly be turned into a high-resolution image of a suspect's face that can then be thrown against a drivers' license photo database to spit out an instant match.

(More at link)

This video confirms, BTW, the conclusion I'd come to earlier in this thread--that the way the barriers at bomb site 2 were photographed lying down post-explosion likely had nothing to do with the origin of the blast. In fact, it looks like the explosion itself didn't affect them. In this video, taken just after the blast, the Richards family is sitting/lying in the street. The barriers are all still upright. They start getting knocked down by people leaping over them or shoving them out of the way in trying to get help to the victims. The laws of physics only apply here in that when barriers are kicked or shoved, they fall down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22275862

ctkid, thanks. I think I also read that the facial recognition software didn't work well due to so many of the face shots being sideways or angled. That software works best with a clear, front-view headshot.

http://tinyurl.com/c3vuv8c

The founder of the organization that built Colorado's largest mosque is offering to bury suspected Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev in a Denver-area Muslim cemetery.

Sheikh Abu-Omar Almubarac said Monday he will pay for a traditional Muslim burial - no headstone, monument or casket - at a plot at a Muslim cemetery in Denver or Bennett.

Almubarac refused to say which one out of concern for "undue publicity." He says he'll bury Tsarnaev as long as his family can get the body to Denver.

Originally Posted by Isabelle
I think doctors knew who he was.
No, he didn't. NYT published an interview with the doctor. He did not know this was the suspect.

It’d be my guess that Dr. Schoenfeld knew who he was. Bostonglobe’s report on Dr. Schoenfeld (who treated Tamerlan) seems to indicate the doctor knew who he was. The doctor lived in Watertown, had been on lockdown all day, then heard the shootout, and headed to the hospital where Tamerlan came in handcuffed and surrounded by about a dozen officers. The doc commented that if there had been a bombing device strapped to him, it was removed by the time Tamerlan arrived (link in another thread). Dr. Schoenfeld also responds to a question later in the interview about if it bothered him that he was working on the suspect. He replied something to the effect that medical professionals put that out of their head when in the ER; they simply do the best medical work they can do, and deal with personal feelings later. Here’s a screenshot of part of the article (since I can’t get in anymore to copy/paste), as well as a link to the complete article.

LINK: http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...d-shoot-out/EklhnOS3cRiFmrWSBcje5O/story.html

ETA: Just read the NYTImes article, which agreed with Bostonglobe. LE didn't inform them as to who it was but medical staff had been talking about the possibility and they had their suspicions:

“There was talk before the patient arrived about whether or not it was a suspect,” Dr. Schoenfeld said. “But ultimately it doesn’t matter who it is, because we’re going to work as hard as we can for any patient who comes through our door and then sort it out after. Because you’re never going to know until the dust settles who it is.”
The team was unable to resuscitate him, and pronounced him dead at 1:35 a.m. Only as they prepared to turn the body over to the police did Dr. Schoenfeld look closely at the patient’s face and see that he resembled one of the suspects whose pictures had been released by the F.B.I. hours earlier. “We all obviously had some suspicion given the really large police presence,” he said, “but we didn’t have a clear identification from the police.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/us/boston-marathon-bombings.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Well let us see if this pends out, we know the parents want him back in Russia. Have the uncles gone to visit the other brother yet, does he know he is going away for a very,, very long time, I would say forever.

http://tinyurl.com/btzlw97

NYPD’s Ray Kelly not surprised about Boston Marathon terror attack

NEW YORK—New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says he wasn't surprised about the Boston Marathon bombings—just that they didn't happen sooner.

"When something like Boston happens, it's a shock to the public psyche, but not to us," Kelly said at the Atlantic's New York Ideas Festival on Tuesday. "We thought something like this would happen sooner—we've seen these types of disaffected radicalized young men target us."

Kelly, who created the country's first municipal counterterrorism bureau in the wake of 9/11, said the New York Police Department has thwarted 16 terror plots since the attack on the World Trade Center, including one from Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, who pleaded guilty in February to plotting to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank. The 21-year-old Bangladesh native was arrested in October in an FBI sting.
<snip>
"There's a constant stream of individuals trying to come here and kill us," Kelly said. There's a "whole array of threats, and there's been no diminishment."

In reference to Jane and possible loss of both her legs... her family needs not worry about finances related to prosthesis because the Shriners in Springfield will most likely cover her up to age 21.

Everyone else is going to be feeling it in the pocketbook though.

It's not always a given that she could get into the hospital, though I'd be surprised if she didn't. A family member of ours went to a Shriners' hospital where we live; parents had to write a letter and also submit two written letters of recommendation to get in (parties both had Shriners' ties). Procedural stuff...and they'd maybe make an exception in this case, so probably no worries (in fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't).

http://tinyurl.com/cyk5898

Students flock to the U.S. from around the world. But when their visas expire, many simply stay.

The problem is fueled by loose laws and lax enforcement practices by the government and the schools attached to student visas. Responsibility for keeping track of the students is spread thin, leaving many free to overstay at will and leaving the country exposed to security threats. While the Department of Homeland Security is now taking steps to tighten the system, it's unclear whether the immigration overhaul being considered in Congress will make any significant changes.
<snip>
According to the Migration Policy Institute, about 40 percent of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants living in the country came here with valid visas -- of all kinds -- but ended up staying after their passes expired.

Under the broad umbrella of these 4.5 million visa overstays, it is not known exactly how many are students
<snip>
In 2011, New York and California topped the list of states that had the largest number of students and exchange visitors; Massachusetts ranked No. 5 with 117,395 students, according to the DHS.

They may overstay, but if they are caught or leave and try to come back, they cannot return to the US.

I don't think we're being barbaric. We're publicly and peacefully debating a very painful issue. His family has access to his body, has performed his religious rituals and the person overseeing his temporary resting place is being respectful and kind. If it were reversed, and an American expat had blown the legs off innocent adults and little kids at a peaceful celebration in a different country, I think I'd understand if that country wanted to ship him back to us.

When I read many things on here, I do not see it as an issue of that. Things such as throwing him away ,in many different ways ,are expressed

That is what bothers me. It is like the people in other places who drag a body through the street or other things.

God is the judge. Not us. I do not mean about his crimes. I mean about his soul.

I agree that his mother should be given a deadline. If she does not meet it, then bury him in an undisclosed location. Her games are over.

They may overstay, but if they are caught or leave and try to come back, they cannot return to the US.

I read somewhere that one of the (3) that were arrested was allowed to return after a trip overseas, with a visa that expired.

http://tinyurl.com/cxm7vwn

<snip>
He couldn't have done this were it not for his return to the United States. His student visa had been terminated when he landed in New York on January 20, as he had stopped going to classes.

Looking for the other link.

(corrected English)

When I read many things on here, I do not see it as an issue of that. Things such as throwing him away ,in many different ways ,are expressed

That is what bothers me. It is like the people in other places who drag a body through the street or other things.

God is the judge. Not us. I do not mean about his crimes. I mean about his soul.

I agree that his mother should be given a deadline. If she does not meet it, then bury him in an undisclosed location. Her games are over.

Yeah I get that, and if we were really throwing him away it would be a different story... but we're not. He's dead, so we will never see him at trial, no one will ever be able to express their anger and rage at him for what he did. And so people express their anger about his body. And they're expressing it verbally or in writing, not physically the way terrorists do. No one is literally doing anything to his body. And I don't think any of the "put him in the ocean" ideas are anywhere near dragging him through the streets. No one (as far as I've heard) has said anything like that kind of violence.

IMO I think it's normal for people to express their anger at him. It's part of the process of healing after being brutally attacked, isn't it? Expressing anger, maybe wishing terrible things on the person who attacked you or fantasizing about taking control back, venting your feelings so you can get them out of your system and move on to the next stage?

There are many unanswered questions behind the radicalization of these two young men; sudden rejection of the countries they had been brought to by their families for a better life; authorities being warned of them and subsequently monitoring them; and both dying in the name of jihad, each after spending time in Dagestan.....

One thing that is clear, however, is their chosen paths of alleged religious extremism led both of them to their deaths.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...aev-canadian-militant-followed-similar-paths/

immigrated to Canada in 2005 at the age of 15,[

...unconfirmed media reports, Plotnikov might have been a contact of the Boston Marathon bombings suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev via social media and perhaps when Tsarnaev unsuccessfully attempted to join the insurgency in Dagestan as well..

boxing when William was a 9-year-old. William then twice won the Russian youth championships

Plotnikovs became Canadian citizens in 2008

He took interest in Islam around 2008 and in 2009 he visited an unknown Toronto mosque

In September 2010, Plotnikov disappeared

Royal Canadian Mounted Police had been then looking for William as a missing person for almost two years.[

he traveled to the Russian republic of Dagestan......the police subsequently raided the house where William stayed and briefly detained and interrogated him....

.....and joined an armed Islamist rebel group based in the forested mountain range near Utamysh,[

Before midnight of July 13, 2012, a force of Dagestani mujahideen were ambushed and surrounded at a farm outside Utamysh by Russian police and military ....

....the farm was destroyed by artillery fire,[

According to Novaya, the two had previously communicated via a website associated with the World Assembly of Muslim Youth. After Plotnikov was detained, the security services, using "a wide range of special equipment", allegedly extracted from him a list of people he communicated with; one of the names belonged to Tsarnaev.

With both of his alleged contacts to the insurgency dead, Tsarnaev left Russia just two days after Plotnikov was killed.[

William Plotnikov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member