Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/jahars-world-20130717#ixzz2ZRpw8zZG
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

dont know who posted this :

And anyone who argues that Rolling Stone shouldn't use the image because it's a rock magazine doesn't understand Rolling Stone's history or its journalistic ambitions.

but do I agree , I just printed it cant wait to read it.

Wonder how many folks who are freaked out by freedom of the press went and read it!!!!!!!!!!

I am just catching up on this thread and I am stunned at the stuff I am reading about Rolling Stone doing a feature on biggest news story of the year thus far

ugh aweful 7-Eleven and CVS refused to sell Boston bomber issue......CVS, Walgreens, Kmart and Rite Aid

the article's author....."It's kind of astonishing. No one has even read it yet!"

The same image has also appeared in the New York Times and other media over the past few months. (me: no uproar there)

According to Ad Age, the boycott may not put much of a dent in the magazine's bottom line.

the RS ban is not that rare in the magazine world. "It doesn't happen a lot but it's not unusual for mainstream magazines to be banned,

"Newsstand sales are such a small part of Rolling Stone's total circulation that losing sales at a handful of retailers won't have much effect. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if newsstand sales are higher than usual, given the amount of attention the cover has received. Overall, I don't think this will have any effect on Rolling Stone except to remind readers and advertisers how much they care about the magazine."

One person said that they had just signed up for a subscription to the magazine, writing, "I appreciate honest journalism. I also believe in freedom of the press," while others said the photo didn't glamorize Tsarnaev, but just showed how "unnerving [it is] to see how normal and similar he is."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1710814/rolling-stone-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-cover.jhtml

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1710814/rolling-stone-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-cover.jhtml

Slate, New Yorker and USA Today Writers Defend Mag's Controversial Cover Choice

"Rolling Stone" was a Top 10 trending topic on Twitter for most of yesterday,

Rolling Stone has a long history of featuring serious news coverage as well as rock 'n' roll..

In a Slate post .... "Rolling Stone's Boston Bomber Cover Is Brilliant," We may want the media to reconfirm for us that psychopaths are crazed, nutty, creepy recluses whom we can easily identify and thus avoid. ....As Tsarnaev's many friends could attest, we aren't as good as we'd like to believe at spotting the evil beneath the surface.

New Yorker's ......straight at the camera all make him look like just another Rolling Stone cover boy...................these elements are not engineered.

the media certainly didn't shy away from publishing Osama bin Laden's face pretty much everywhere. I don't recall widespread objection to the media showing us, again and again, the face of the 9/11 mastermind.

The difference, of course, is that bin Laden was creepy/menacing-looking, whereas Tsarnaev... is not.....................

http://adage.com/article/the-media-guy/defense-rolling-stone-boston-bomber-cover/243172/

ME :

............any type of attention to this kid, we are doing that here !!!!!!!!

Boston's very own Mayor Menino wrote a powerful letter to Rolling Stones Publisher, Jann Wenner:

"Your August 3 cover rewards a terrorist with celebrity treatment. It is ill-conceived, at best, and re-affirms a terrible message that destruction gains fame for killer and their "causes". There may be valuable journalism behind your sensational treatment, though we can't know because almost all you released is the cover."

"To respond to you in anger is to feed into your obvious marketing strategy. So, I write to you instead to put the focus where you could have: on the brave and strong survivors and on the thousand of people- their family, friends, volunteers, first responders, doctors, nurses and donors - who have come to their aid. Among those we lost, those who survived, and those who help carry them forward, there are artists and musicians and dancers and writers. They have dreams and plans. They struggle and strive. The survivors of the Boston attacks deserve Rolling Stone Cover stories, though i no longer feel that Rolling Stone deserves them."

Read more: http://www.kiss108.com/articles/tre...te-rolling-stones-one-11491701/#ixzz2ZSBDWPos

I love the way the media calls that night , the night they "captured" him!

After spending 4 trillion dollars (!) on a manhunt, running all over Boston in circles (!) in the end , they found the 19-yr-old suspect lying half-dead in the bottom of some boat. a citizen dialed 911 and he surrendered!!!!!!!!!

Here are the pics of this dangerous kid that night !

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...y.html?&_suid=1374218758449005645555240251121

early estimates just for one agency!

Manhunt cost Watertown Police $250,000, chief estimate

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...f-estimates/p4IEFVq4BppZuwNTf1BG3N/story.html

:snooty:On the cover of yesterday's U.S.A. Today was the same picture of DT ,complaining about it being the cover of Rolling Stone.....

...just Media games to me....I would have never ever put THAT picture of him on the cover of anything because it's a fact that already too many young girls are infatuated with him and now there will probably be more but on the other hand they were already infatuated before they put it on the cover and it is a good picture to illustrate the point of the story...he WAS charming,good looking,nice and look what happened to him...but since it is about him turning into a monster they should have definetely put the victims pictures and the horrible consequences his actions had underneath IMO
...but it is a free country ,IMO they can put what they want on their cover and stores should not censor it,it's up to the customer if they want to buy it or not IMO

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/sean-murphy_n_3620329.html

http://www.smh.com.au/world/dzhokha...apher-suspended-from-duty-20130719-2q8oc.html

His right arm and hand look severely damaged, I can see why it's still in a cast.

Murphy released these photos because he was angry about the RS cover but it has basically had the opposite effect by keeping DT as one of the most publicized men in the world. These photos are all top headlines across the world now and they show him severely hurt and bleeding - now these are the types of photos that make people sorry for him!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/sean-murphy_n_3620329.html

http://www.smh.com.au/world/dzhokha...apher-suspended-from-duty-20130719-2q8oc.html

His right arm and hand look severely damaged, I can see why it's still in a cast.

Murphy released these photos because he was angry about the RS cover but it has basically had the opposite effect by keeping DT as one of the most publicized men in the world and seen in a distressed unarmed state. These photos are all top headlines across the world now and they show him severely hurt and bleeding - now these are the types of photos that make people sorry for him! JMO

I'm glad he released the photos.

I have no sympathy for this "kid".

We have sifted through photos of his victims over the last months and its about time we see the terrorist who killed and maimed those innocent people suffering himself.

He's garbage.

I hope he has a needle in that messed up right arm soon.

JMO

I have no sympathy either but we do have such a thing as freedom of the press in this country. They can put whatever they want on their cover, it should be up the consumer if they choose to buy it or not.

I love the way the media calls that night , the night they "captured" him!

After spending 4 trillion dollars (!) on a manhunt, running all over Boston in circles (!) in the end , they found the 19-yr-old suspect lying half-dead in the bottom of some boat. a citizen dialed 911 and he surrendered!!!!!!!!!

Here are the pics of this dangerous kid that night !

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...y.html?&_suid=1374218758449005645555240251121

early estimates just for one agency!

Manhunt cost Watertown Police $250,000, chief estimate

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...f-estimates/p4IEFVq4BppZuwNTf1BG3N/story.html

RBBM: They did capture him, he didn't walk into the police station and give himself up, now did he?

JMO

:snooty:On the cover of yesterday's U.S.A. Today was the same picture of DT ,complaining about it being the cover of Rolling Stone.....

...just Media games to me....I would have never ever put THAT picture of him on the cover of anything because it's a fact that already too many young girls are infatuated with him and now there will probably be more but on the other hand they were already infatuated before they put it on the cover and it is a good picture to illustrate the point of the story...he WAS charming,good looking,nice and look what happened to him...but since it is about him turning into a monster they should have definetely put the victims pictures and the horrible consequences his actions had underneath IMO
...but it is a free country ,IMO they can put what they want on their cover and stores should not censor it,it's up to the customer if they want to buy it or not IMO

They released the article as well. I don't see much in it on how he supposedly turned into a "monster."
But it goes on and on about how nice he was.
If you ask me, these people came to US but were not happy. All of them should have gone home and stayed there.
I am tired of excuses being made, and of how "nice" JT supposedly was.

His arm in a cast and his face swollen,my goodness a defense strategy?? How on earth can a 19 year old need a quarter of year to heal!!!!!!

You really need to do some research about gunshot injuries before you post stuff like this. He was probably hit in the bone in his arm by a bullet. It shattered, that takes a long time to heal. For reference look up the Aurora Theater Shooting Victims. You'll see they are still trying to recover a year later from gunshot wounds that shattered their bones. Three months isn't a long time to heal. Not at all.:banghead:

JMO

The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone’s long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/jahars-world-20130717#ixzz2ZRpw8zZG
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Well, I am a lot older than most of their readers, and I probably will read the article, but there won't be one iota of sympathy for DT from me.

JMO

We can all agree that nerves are still pretty raw over this. The article does point out that his friends never suspected he would be involved in this type of thing, that his brother was more the leader because that was how they were raised. LE did a good job keeping him alive. He's our only source for information we need to know to tell us why they would do this.

It all takes time and good WS's that we are we should explore all the information we can to find out why. JMO

They released the article as well. I don't see much in it on how he supposedly turned into a "monster."
But it goes on and on about how nice he was.
If you ask me, these people came to US but were not happy. All of them should have gone home and stayed there.
I am tired of excuses being made, and of how "nice" JT supposedly was.

He was a child. His parents made the choice to migrate, not DT.
DT WAS probably nice, that's why all his friends were utterly shocked beyond words when he was identified as a suspect. I don't believe these heinous crimes would have been committed if Tamerlan Tsarnaev didn't grace this earth. I do believe anyone with such burning hatred should leave the country not attack it, and yet it still comes back to why the FBI had been tracking him and it eventuated into such a deadly attack.

JMO

And he hasn't been convicted of any crimes thus far.

By pleading Not Guilty, they have chosen to take this to trial. It might not get there, but with a defense team renown for their death penalty expertise and especially Judy Clarke who is anti death penalty I believe DT will refuse a plea deal and continue onto trial. Because at the end of the day, he has very little to lose right now. He either would prefer the death penalty (instead of life in prison) or take a chance with a trial.

JMO

I have no sympathy either but we do have such a thing as freedom of the press in this country. They can put whatever they want on their cover, it should be up the consumer if they choose to buy it or not.

And stores are businesses who decide what they want to put on their shelves.

It's their right to not stock an item.

If somebody wants it, they have the right to find a store that sells it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back