Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Still Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Rising waters forced rescuers to suspend the search for 12 boys and their soccer coach missing for two days in a flooded cave complex in northern Thailand, but officials said Monday they believe they’re still alive.

The boys, aged 11-15, are believed to have entered the Tham Luang Nang Non cave in Chiang Rai province with their 25-year-old coach late Saturday afternoon. A mother reported that her son did not return from soccer practice that day, setting off the search.

636655011914391131-AP-Thailand-Cave-Search-100952395.JPG

Thai officials believe 12 boys missing in cave are alive

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
12 boys, soccer coach feared missing in flooded Thailand cave | CBC News

Getting deeper into the cave has required lots of oxygen and special diving skills, which would also complicate rescue efforts once the boys are found, Passakorn said. He said divers might have to first bring food in and the boys might need to wait out the flood or learn the basics of scuba to get out.

Anukoon Sorn-ek, a geographer and expert on the Tham Luang Nang Non cave, said divers have made it about three kilometres into the complex. He said the cave maintains a relatively stable temperature of about 25 C.

He said the only way to get the boys out would be for them to dive.

"But they have to be found first," he said.

Any word on why they went into the caves without letting families know? Or did I misread...

It appears that they where nearby in a field practicing soccer, when the group decided to explore the cave:

The boys and their coach were thought to have entered the cave complex in Chiang Rai province on Saturday afternoon. They typically train every weekend on a nearby field. But when one of the boys didn't return from soccer practice that day, his mother notified authorities and the search began. At the mouth of Tham Luang Nang Non cave, located in a verdant forest reserve that borders Myanmar, park officials found every indication that the boys and coach entered the cave but never came out: a motorcycle, 11 bicycles, backpacks, soccer shoes and sports equipment

Divers Search Flooded Cave In Thailand For 12 Missing Boys And Their Soccer Coach

"We are trying to find alternative techniques to reach the 13," Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn told reporters late on Thursday."

"Regarding the plan for the 13 to swim or dive, there is only one critical point which it is risky: It is where every boy has to dive alone. The point is very narrow ... It is very deep water. The distance is pretty long," said Narongsak."

"Others say the boys could be out in days if the weather is on their side and enough water can be pumped out of the cave to enable the boys to get out the same way they got in, on foot, perhaps with some swimming."

Tham Luang cave: As water levels recede, rescuers inclined to evacuate stranded 13 before rains aggravate floods

Not impressed by these latecomers and their offers. Call me a skeptic but if they could have helped, where have they been??

I think some of them want to add their names, Elon Musk etc to the list of 'rescuers'. Too little, too late......or too close. IMO

I am very disappointed that there has not been a plan formulated and attempted by now. Time is of the essence, IMO.

The officials have several plans in play: 1) drain, 2) drill, 3) dive. Perhaps even some new plans that we don't yet know of.

Time is of the essence, but this is an amazingly dicey situation. None of the three plans I mentioned are optimal-- they all have serious risk. Better to delay and get things right, than rush in and do more harm. They are doing their very best, I am sure of that.

Chin up! :)

I've just checked the live feed and it is NOT better to delay (with respect) and we all know about the risks.

The storm clouds are gathering and now they will be forced to make a hasty decision, it seems.

There will be a news conference shortly.

They seem to want to take the strongest first, leave the sick ones. IMO, they should get the sick ones out first, get them attended to and the others will come out later....unless the monsoons hit. The sick ones will only get worse in the cave whereas they have hope if brought out. The others can hang on for a wee bit. IMO

Not impressed by these latecomers and their offers. Call me a skeptic but if they could have helped, where have they been??

I think some of them want to add their names, Elon Musk etc to the list of 'rescuers'. Too little, too late......or too close. IMO

I am not sure it is right to assume Musk or other "latecomers" are trying to cash in. Elon Musk may have privately offered assistance to the Thai government. It seems the public only heard about it yesterday after he went to social media. We simply do not have all the facts. I'm betting that the Thai government is flooded with all sorts of offers, and we don't know how things are being decided, who is making choices, etc. It's a confused situation.

Besides, "late to the party but can actually help" is better than no help at all.

Have faith in the human spirit! :)

They seem to want to take the strongest first, leave the sick ones. IMO, they should get the sick ones out first, get them attended to and the others will come out later....unless the monsoons hit. The sick ones will only get worse in the cave whereas they have hope if brought out. The others can hang on for a wee bit. IMO

It's basic triage, which can seem very brutal. It;s horrible to say, but in some rescue situations, you have to get out the strongest first. They can sort of be "guinea pigs" to work out how each rescue will go, and being stronger, they might be able to survive a bit more trauma than the weaker ones.

Then the weaker ones will presumably need more assistance, which means putting more rescuers lives at risk, with even more casualties ensuing.

No one likes that situation, but that is what it is.

Hathai Pia on Twitter
Kate Lyons on Twitter
A SEAL officer has died from lack of oxygen inside the cave.

Reports say he is a former Thai Navy SEAL. He died on the way back from bringing oxygen tanks inside the cave. :(
RIH Hero.

Oh, No! :(

I wonder how many times he made the trip before having a problem. This highlights how dangerous it is to dive through the cave system. I think the danger is why they have not yet tried to bring a boy out. I hope the boys are able to walk out and not risk diving. Still praying a miracle for the 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18