The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Red Cross is looking for 40,000 new volunteers to train and rotate into the Gulf Region for 3 week service. Training will occur at your local Red Cross Chapters before being transported to the area.

I so want to do this but unfortunatly I do not qualify right now for health reasons.

tybee204 said:
The Red Cross is looking for 40,000 new volunteers to train and rotate into the Gulf Region for 3 week service. Training will occur at your local Red Cross Chapters before being transported to the area.

I so want to do this but unfortunatly I do not qualify right now for health reasons.

I don't think I can for financial and health reasons until October but I will then. I have big shoulders. In the interim my daughter has been sent on the mission. She did real well. Had a Uhaul filled with clothes, toys, personal grooming, washer and dryer, blow up beds, linens, diapers, water and other stuff. Her trek left Atlanta stopped in Montgomery for more supplies and then into Baton Rouge. She then used her resources to find 2 houses for 22 people, 9 dogs, 4 cats and a bird. She had transmission problems w/ her car and now she is $4000.00 poorer but she says it was all worth it. She will make up the money later.

We also found a house here in Atlanta that will take care of 6 people. We had started efforts to furnish it and then the subdivision heard about it and completely furnished it right down to dishes and groceries. We started all efforts on Tuesday when we heard the city was flooding. So,I guess we made a difference for close to 30 but there is so much more to do. I will continue and I know everyone else will too.

There were a few violent crimes in the New Orleans convention center that weren't your usual gang type crime that you've seen lately in NO. It really sent up a red flag in my head. In the superdome a child was found being raped by an adult in the bathroom and a number of adult women were raped as well. This storm has really brought out the worst in some.

2sisters said:
There were a few violent crimes in the New Orleans convention center that weren't your usual gang type crime that you've seen lately in NO. It really sent up a red flag in my head. In the superdome a child was found being raped by an adult in the bathroom and a number of adult women were raped as well. This storm has really brought out the worst in some.
Do we know if any of these rapist murdering scum-bags were arrested? I hope these people are going to be prosecuted.

Slightly OT but Dan Abrams was interviewing a public defender. Apparently DNA and other evidence for cases (including appeals based on DNA exonerating those already found guilty) has been lost and destroyed. Tragic situation whether the defendant is guilty or innocent.

tipper said:
Slightly OT but Dan Abrams was interviewing a public defender. Apparently DNA and other evidence for cases (including appeals based on DNA exonerating those already found guilty) has been lost and destroyed. Tragic situation whether the defendant is guilty or innocent.
I saw that, he also mentioned many files were in plastic containers and won't know if some of them may be still okay.........let's hope!

Tom'sGirl said:
I saw that, he also mentioned many files were in plastic containers and won't know if some of them may be still okay.........let's hope!
Oh good. I missed that part.

The registered sex offenders should be in the National Database and unless they are using alias's at the shelters cross referenced with the data base.

Just what we need, more sex offenders on the street, unaccounted for. I don't know how to fix the problem, just wanted to say that this is very sad and worrisome, to say the least!

tybee204 said:
The registered sex offenders should be in the National Database and unless they are using alias's at the shelters cross referenced with the data base.
I heard today that some were fittled with tracking devices, but crap they'll only cut those things off if they plan to lay low and blend in other states to which they have now been evacuated.

As it is now, the registries can't, or rather don't have the man power to veriy if the address these offender give are their current address'.

I am praying for all my American Friends.... and for humanity as well, may we ALL prevail....

Generosity and love shall be our guide ....:blowkiss:

That's why the Red Cross is warning people....

So many people have sympathy and just want to help but you could be bringing a person in who could wind up hurting a member of your own family....be careful....

Traumatized children bear Katrina's scars
Unprecedented numbers of kids will need psychological help, experts say

Updated: 2:17 p.m. ET Sept. 10, 2005
In a disaster within a disaster, unprecedented numbers of shaken children left in Hurricane Katrina’s wake are testing the nation’s network for emergency psychological help, according to caregivers and experts.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9270966/

http://dailyworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050909/NEWS05/509090322

Law allows sex offenders in shelters

By Barry Johnson
Louisiana Gannett News Service

The seven parishes with the most damage and displaced people from the hurricane and flooding have 3,080 registered sex offenders and sexual predators, including 1,405 in Orleans Parish, according to the Louisiana State Police sex offender registry........

That means shelters and communities that take in evacuees have the ability to check people's names against the state or national sex offender registry.

"Anyone who has concerns or needs any information that we can legally give them, we will certainly provide it,'' said Patrick, who added that he was unaware of any concerns since evacuations began.

Officials with the American Red Cross River Center shelter in Baton Rouge refused to comment on the potential threat of sex offenders or any efforts to screen them. They referred inquiries to State Police, who said it is up to shelters and communities to take advantage of the information available.

Neighbours help neighbours in times of need.

Instead of going to Boston in the fall, my son asked me to donate the money to help the Victims of the Hurricane.

He donated his snack and lunch money ($20) to the Hurricane Relief Fund at his school.

My Club donated the entire proceeds of an evening to the Hurricane Fund.

Remember we are cousins............neighbours and friends.......glad we could help

This is a really informative article. It is 8 pages long but very much worth the read.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9286534/

Steady buildup to a complete meltdown
Confusion, bureaucracy reigned as floodwaters overtook New Orleans

Walter Maestri had dreaded this call for a decade, ever since he took over emergency management for Jefferson Parish, a marshy collection of suburbs around New Orleans. It was Friday night, Aug. 26, and his friend Max Mayfield was on the line. Mayfield is the head of the National Hurricane Center, and he wasn't calling to chat.

"Walter," Mayfield said, "get ready."

"What do you mean?" Maestri asked, though he already knew the answer.

Hurricane Katrina had barreled into the Gulf of Mexico, and Mayfield's latest forecast had it smashing into New Orleans as a Category 4 or 5 storm Monday morning. Maestri already had 10,000 body bags in his parish, in case he ever got a call like this.

"This could be the one," Mayfield told him.

Maestri heard himself gasp: "Oh, my God."

This excellent program was aired yesterday and will be repeated today at 7:00 pm Eastern and 4:00 pm Pacific.

I urge everyone interested in placing blame for this fiasco to watch this program. It is excellent! I'm going to record it.

ETA: Oops - typo that is 7 pm Eastern and 4 pm Pacific

Pepper said:
This excellent program was aired yesterday and will be repeated today at &00 pm Eastern and 4:00 pm Pacific.

I urge everyone interested in placing blame for this fiasco to watch this program. It is excellent! I'm going to record it.

Thanks Pepper!!

Casshew said:
Brilliant slideshow ~ best photos I have seen

Yes, He took lots of photos after the hurricane went through then took the same picture once the levee broke a day later day.
The pics around the Saint Louis Cathedral are amazing

"The Statue of Jesus Christ behind Saint Louis Cathedral is surrounded by about 5 or 6 100+ year old Oak Trees"

The good news is that it sounds like the body count is going to be less than expected. I sure hope they are checking the attics of all those flooded homes. But as incompetent as some of these people seem to be, it wouldn't surprise me if they overlooked the attics.

And what about St. Rita's? Is there a justifiable reason over 30 were left to die?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back