The Bloody Sock

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Goody said:
Jim, have you ever considered the possibility that the boys were not stabbed at the same time?
Hi Goody. Do you think she stabbed Devon first and then discarded the sock, then Damon when she returned to the house? After which she inflicted her own injuries...which would explain why her blood wasn't found outside the house- something her supporters are keen to jump on, I believe, when they say she can't have "planted" the sock...

The sock thing really intrigues me. I've been wondering about Darin's involvement in the cover-up but I hadn't considered she may have discarded it between killing her boys...

I think about this case far too much!

britgirl said:
I've considered that too...I believe the sock was found lying near to a storm drain? Maybe he threw some incriminating items of clothing down there and the sock missed...
I'm leaning that way too.

It had light transfer stains on it which could have been picked up from the carpet. But I'm open on whether the stains were deliberate or not.

I also think he did it when Darlie was on the phone to 911. I think Darlie was yelling at him out the front door (not Karen). I think that it is the sound that partially woke the neighbor across the street that has his windows open while he slept.

Goody said:
Jim, have you ever considered the possibility that the boys were not stabbed at the same time?
Actually, Goody, I hadn't. I'd always thought of this as a rage killing, mostly because it's still difficult for me to wrap my mind around anybody doing such an horrific thing to two innocent children intentionally. And if it was a rage killing, it would likely have happened quickly, one after the other.

But then, there's the sock.

If the boys were deep sleepers (and that's definitely possible -- you could explode a bomb by my son's bed and he wouldn't raise an eyebrow), I can see her being able to kill one, then plant the sock, then kill the other. If that's the case, it would definitely rule out a rage killing. It was cold and calculating.

The thought makes me shudder.

Jim

britgirl said:
I've considered that too...I believe the sock was found lying near to a storm drain? Maybe he threw some incriminating items of clothing down there and the sock missed...
Bingo!

britgirl said:
Hi Goody. Do you think she stabbed Devon first and then discarded the sock, then Damon when she returned to the house?
No. She could not have done it then because a dab of Damon's blood was on the sock, too.

britgirl said:
After which she inflicted her own injuries...which would explain why her blood wasn't found outside the house- something her supporters are keen to jump on, I believe, when they say she can't have "planted" the sock...
I used to think she could have controlled her blood loss to make the sockf run, but I think the crime scene defies that. So I have pretty much settled on someone else doing the sock run. It is the only truly plausible way that the sock ended up where it did without any traces of blood being found between it and the crime scene.

britgirl said:
The sock thing really intrigues me. I've been wondering about Darin's involvement in the cover-up but I hadn't considered she may have discarded it between killing her boys...

I think about this case far too much!
We all do! hahahahaha. I am one of those folks who do not believe Darin could have decided in 5 minutes to abandon his normal parental shock and outrage and grief over the brutality in the way they were murdered and cover up for her. He would almost have say, "O, well, the beat goes on." I don't buy it for a minute. He needed time to come to terms with it and decide what to do about it. So he was either in on it from the very beginning and it was cold and calculating and premeditated. Or something went extremely out of control in one of their dramatic (BS) fights over money and Devon ended up dead; then suddenly they had to deal with that. I think Damon probably slept thru the first attack (for the same reasons Jim gave) and that Darin made a timely run down the alley to discard the items they didn't want police to find. That sock just fell by the wayside. I think the FBI profiler was correct in reasons why a planted sock would have been closer to crime than this one was found. And I personally believe if they had planted it, it would have had much more blood on it. Perps planting evidence tend to overdo.

If this crime was not premeditated, then emotions must have overflowed uncontrollably and caused one of them, probably Darlie to kill Devon, and I am guessing they spent some time coming to terms with it and how they could get out of it. Whatever the step by step is, I think Darin was onboard before police arrived. Unless the blood on his pants prove otherwise, I think he had more invested in the crime than just covering up for Darlie. If he didn't, he would have divorced her by now and tried to get on with his life. I believe he loved her at the time, but I don't believe he does not, no matter what role he played, so the fact that he does not make moves to get on with his life is very, very suspicious to me. Shoot, even Terry Schiavo's husband didn't wait that long, and Rusty Yates has remarried as well. Darin has to be dating at the very least but somehow manages to keep it quiet and I mean quiet. Makes my sniffer twitch.

justice2 said:
I'm leaning that way too.

It had light transfer stains on it which could have been picked up from the carpet. But I'm open on whether the stains were deliberate or not.

I also think he did it when Darlie was on the phone to 911. I think Darlie was yelling at him out the front door (not Karen). I think that it is the sound that partially woke the neighbor across the street that has his windows open while he slept.
I have always believed she was yelling for Darin, too, but I think someone once pointed out it doesn't line up with the 911 tape. I have never tried to see if it does though.

I mean, why would anyone yell out their front door in the middle of the night for a neighbor when they know the air unit is on, all windows closed, and there is zero chance of being heard. That "Karen!" is out of place.

JimPence said:
Actually, Goody, I hadn't. I'd always thought of this as a rage killing, mostly because it's still difficult for me to wrap my mind around anybody doing such an horrific thing to two innocent children intentionally. And if it was a rage killing, it would likely have happened quickly, one after the other.

But then, there's the sock.

If the boys were deep sleepers (and that's definitely possible -- you could explode a bomb by my son's bed and he wouldn't raise an eyebrow), I can see her being able to kill one, then plant the sock, then kill the other. If that's the case, it would definitely rule out a rage killing. It was cold and calculating.

The thought makes me shudder.

Jim
Well, there is no evidence of when Devon died. They don't even list a time of death on his autopsy. So there is a little window there which could have given the parents much more time than they claim to come up with their story, assuming the original attack was not planned in advance.

Goody said:
I have always believed she was yelling for Darin, too, but I think someone once pointed out it doesn't line up with the 911 tape. I have never tried to see if it does though.

I mean, why would anyone yell out their front door in the middle of the night for a neighbor when they know the air unit is on, all windows closed, and there is zero chance of being heard. That "Karen!" is out of place.

ABSOLUTELY~! That's one thing that I've never understood about that night. :waitasec: :waitasec:

Goody said:
Well, there is no evidence of when Devon died. They don't even list a time of death on his autopsy. So there is a little window there which could have given the parents much more time than they claim to come up with their story, assuming the original attack was not planned in advance.

Agreed!!!!

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm only hearing good things so far Goody!!!!
Cool. Is he handling Darlie's appeal or is that guy Rolator still on the case?

Goody said:
Cool. Is he handling Darlie's appeal or is that guy Rolator still on the case?

The "office" will handle the appeal. I don't think they will have to deal with another trial.

Jeana (DP) said:
The "office" will handle the appeal. I don't think they will have to deal with another trial.
I take it then it is assigned to a subordinate who works for Toby.

Goody said:
I take it then it is assigned to a subordinate who works for Toby.

I haven't heard, but if he's elected, I seriously doubt he'd be the one. Frankly, I'd be surprised if this is even a blip on his radar screen right now. He's got a lot of convictions under his belt. He's probably not even thinking about her. What's done is done until it isn't. Know what I mean?

Jeana (DP) said:
I haven't heard, but if he's elected, I seriously doubt he'd be the one. Frankly, I'd be surprised if this is even a blip on his radar screen right now. He's got a lot of convictions under his belt. He's probably not even thinking about her. What's done is done until it isn't. Know what I mean?
Yep. Just wondering who I should tell the person who finds the real killer he should call. You never know. It could happen. :waitasec: It could.

Desilu said:
I've often wondered if Darin was the one who dropped that sock.
I have always assumed that Darin was the one who dropped the sock also.

Goody said:
Yep. Just wondering who I should tell the person who finds the real killer he should call. You never know. It could happen. :waitasec: It could.

I'll tell you what. If someone finds "the real killer," have them call me. Then I'll call the Easter Bunny and the Easter Bunny can call Santa and so on and so on. . .

deandaniellws said:
I have always assumed that Darin was the one who dropped the sock also.
I think Darin planted the sock. If he was just stuffing some bloody clothes down the drain, I'm sure there would have been some blood on the concrete in and around the drain. If the clothes were bagged up, then how could he have accidentally dropped the sock.

justice2 said:
I think Darin planted the sock. If he was just stuffing some bloody clothes down the drain, I'm sure there would have been some blood on the concrete in and around the drain. If the clothes were bagged up, then how could he have accidentally dropped the sock.

I wonder why they didn't send the tracking dogs down the alley with both Darin's and Darlie's scent. That would end this mystery of the sock once and for all, you think???? It was probably too late when they thought of it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back