The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 211707
Credit: Me, did this graffiti myself, using a picture from my Adobe account thank you very much!

Is the newspaper going to tell all the stories :( ? I think I'm going to buy this book, I'm very intrigued and excited to learn about all the behind the scenes info and duties of such a position.

Wow it’s already a number one best seller on Amazon. It should be an interesting book and I’m glad it has Her Majesty’s approval. Her Majesty must think a great deal of Ms. Kelly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
In a world exclusive, HELLO! magazine has published extracts and unseen photographs from a new book by the Queen’s dressmaker and close confidant, Angela Kelly. In The Other Side of the Coin: The Queen, the Dresser and the Wardrobe, Angela reveals the secrets behind the Queen's part in a James Bond sketch at the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony – and dispels reports that the Queen was offended by Michelle Obama's tactile greeting during a Buckingham Palace reception.

Exclusive: The Queen's right-hand woman Angela Kelly shares rare personal anecdotes in new book

D93B9782-1E4A-45DC-87E0-476754C0BC81.jpeg

I love this photo of Her Majesty. Ms Kelly’s book is out tomorrow.

Prince Charles's staff are 'paranoid' about how The Crown will portray his affair with Camilla, it is claimed.

The next few seasons of the popular show, based on the Queen's life, are said to focus on Prince Charles's private life.

Prince Charles's staff 'paranoid about The Crown's portrayal of Camilla affair'

I can understand if they are concerned. The public anger has subsided and this might stir some back up again as people are reminded of it.

Here is the full video

TY for posting this Gardenista.

—Got a chance to watch it this weekend.

From the preservation, sustainability, architectural planning aspects, it’s really something to see all of this under one umbrella.

Here in the states we can only piecemeal these elements. Preserving historic towns, small and organic farming, farmland preservation to shut out developers who would pave over the richest soil, renewal of heritage seeds and methods, and environmental protection are all huge efforts in my state of NJ, “the garden state” that is so ecologically diverse outside of the corridor that connects NYC to Philadelphia. We produce a lot more than our famous tomato!

The other piece I really loved was the personal connection that Charles maintains with the people who live there and work the land. I absolutely love the Hawthorne fencing, too. So beautiful. And he’s built it into a profit making enterprise which is no small feat.

Plus, Highgrove is the place. I think it is my favorite of all the royal places.

Since its all quiet on the Royal front today thought others might be interested in this documentary from a few years ago about the press and the royals PR with interviews from people like Charles' former press secretary. They go into really interesting things like how leaks happen for example when Camilla met William for the first time the journalist involved said he got it from Charles' spin doctor and how William found out about this very private event being leaked and felt used by his Father to rehabilitate Camilla's image.

Other questions I know people have asked like what stories or photos do the press have that they don't release, they talk about the pressure cooker agreement that was formed in '95 so that the press wouldn't report on the Princes day to day but occassionally the valve would be let off and they'd get a big event like photos of them on their first day of school. They said they didn't post photos and stories that they got in during the times that the valve was closed, examples he gave were photos of them going about their lives and stories about them at school and other things like them shooting from cars at Sandringham.

The press secretary featured had to give her resignation when she organised a feature about William for his 18th Birthday for a photographer with the understanding it would be shared with all the media equally but since he was under contract with the Telegraph they got the pictures first and the other media was up in arms. Piers Morgan essentially said because of the Telegraph getting the pictures first the pressure cooker agreement is off and we'll report what we like with the only way the Princes would keep their privacy going forward would be for her to resign.

Really interesting especially given recent leaks (discussions of sources) and Harry's lawsuits

Theres a part 2 available also, going to watch that now as I found the first one so interesting

The Queen has posed for thousands of official photographs during her time on the throne to mark and celebrate a variety of occasions.

But despite being one of the most photographed people in the world, there was one type of shot she had always wanted to appear in by was told it wasn't appropriate.

Speaking to her dresser and friend Angela Kelly, the Monarch revealed she would love to be snapped in a more informal pose, such as standing with her hands in her pockets.

Queen's secret wish came true with 'inappropriate' photo - sparking 'disbelief'

D36CBAC1-D4BD-4E1A-B2D6-4439740C9871.jpeg

I didn’t realise the significance of this photograph till I read this story but then I realised I had never seen Her Majesty take a photo with her hands in her pockets before. I’m sure she enjoyed her role in making Ms Kelly’s book.

Sharing the funny story in her new book The Other Side of the Coin, Angela Kelly explains that the Queen was desperate to see a kookaburra bird during their Royal Tour to Australia in 2006.

Continued

She didn't have any luck spotting one, so when Angela saw a cute toy version during a trip to a market in Sydney while her boss was at an engagement, she decided to buy it for her.

The Queen looked outside and shouted 'It's a kookaburra!' I went to open the cage doors and she said loudly 'No! Don't do that! It will fly away!' and was behind me in a flash.

"Turning to her Majesty while trying to keep a straight face, I solemnly told her it was dead."

The Queen looked "horrified" until Angela walked towards her with outstretched arms and said "April Fool".

"She had only two words for me: "You're sacked. I was laughing uncontrollably as her Majesty turned to His Royal Highness and said "Do you know what she has just done to me? Angela has had me!".

Queen told right-hand-woman 'you're sacked' after she played cruel prank on her

6EC5042C-CB00-459E-B445-423016D6D09A.jpeg

I love reading these stories about Her Majesty I’m sure she is a lot of fun.

Interesting they talk about the press having a narrative for Harry as the party Prince so they'd photograph him out once and then run the photos a few more times of the same night weeks apart so people would think he was constantly at clubs. One of the reporters says William was getting drunk a lot himself but the papers didn't report it since it didn't fit with his image as the "good" Prince

One of the press wrote a bad story about Harry that then Charles' new press secretary wrote a letter to her paper condemning, she claims that it would have been next days chip paper if he hadn't but it wound up making headlines in every country because of it.

I had never heard of the High Court case about Charles' travel diary from the handover of Hong Kong. What he said about China is especially interesting given the recent controversies about China taking such umbridge to criticisms of their regime. I'm probably too young to remember, does anyone know how big a story his leaked travel diary was? Apparently there were several other diaries and they were all sent to friends (50-75 people at a time), I've never heard of anyone keeping travel diaries and sending copies to friends, politicans, opinion formers etc!
The Court found in favour of the Prince but the Mail on Sunday called his former spin dr as a witness and got on record lots of stuff like at the previous State visit by China Charles had wanted his views about the Chinese to be made public and briefed his spin dr and friends to make his views known to the press. I think thats why the Mail won't settle the Prince Harry case even if they think they'll lose because they'll get so much gossip by calling witnesses.

Didn't realise it was Williams tip off to the MET that ended up starting the phone hacking inquiry at 26:52 from a tip off by the correspondent behind the H&M Africa documentary

Ugh, photographers at Heathrow shouted 'slag', '*advertiser censored*', '' look this way (28:50) to get Kate Middleton's attention.

The Queen's solicitors sent letters about the Harry Las Vegas nude photos to the British press that they shouldn't publish because of privacy. The Sun waited over 24 hours to publish but did so because they were widely available online

The ITN correspondent says about William and Kate when they were in Australia that they're the first people hes covered that won't talk to him at all, their staff will tell the press where to go but nothing more.
The Australian journalist they interview describes him as a controlling character and not the easy going person that people think he is.

They have lovely long lens photos of William and Kate that were run in Australia but not in the UK because of different privacy laws of them on a day off, things like Kate playing row row row your boat with George (50:32). They were never published in the UK because they assumed since they weren't authorised they weren't allowed but the programme makers contacted the palace and said that permission wouldn't have been needed (the answer might have been different if the pictures weren't so sweet)

They talk about that the Australian and US press think that the British press are far too deferential to the Royals and should be running everything.

Reading more about the case now, its really interesting especially in terms of Meghan's letter to her Father, especially since these were disseminated more widely to a bunch of people. The only difference (apart from the friends talking about the letter before publication) I can see is that it was a member of staff rather than the recipient of the communication that leaked it

Charles claims victory in Hong Kong diary case

“The Queen had only one request for her appearance with James Bond at the opening of the 2012 London Olympics – that she could deliver the line: 'Good evening, Mr Bond.'

Her dressmaker and confidante Angela Kelly reveals in a new book it took 'just five minutes' to persuade Her Majesty to agree to director Danny Boyle's request for her to appear alongside Daniel Craig in the famous footage of her appearing to parachute into the Olympic Stadium.

Mrs Kelly, the Queen's dresser of 25 years, tells how she was called to a meeting with Boyle and private secretary Edward Young to discuss the idea in 2011.”

Queen's dresser reveals how Her Majesty insisted on talking to 007 in Olympics clip | Daily Mail Online

View attachment 211683
This book sounds fascinating and I am guessing she has the blessing of the Queen to publish??

Last edited:
This book sounds fascinating and I am guessing she has the blessing of the Queen to publish??

You can be sure she would have been “sacked” if she didn’t have permission. I read earlier that she did.

On the other hand, Marion Crawford, Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret’s governess, was ostracized after writing “The Little Princesses,” one of my favorite childhood books.

From Wikipedia:
Marion Crawford, CVO (5 June 1909 – 11 February 1988) was a Scottish educator and governess to Princess Margaret and Princess Elizabeth (the future Queen Elizabeth II), who called her Crawfie. Crawford was the named author of the book The Little Princesses, which told the story of her time with the royal family.[1] After the book was published in 1950,[2] Crawford was socially ostracised and left Nottingham Cottage, her grace and favour house, which had been granted to her for life. Neither the Queen nor any other member of the Royal Family ever spoke to her again.[3]
Marion Crawford - Wikipedia

The Queen has posed for thousands of official photographs during her time on the throne to mark and celebrate a variety of occasions.

But despite being one of the most photographed people in the world, there was one type of shot she had always wanted to appear in by was told it wasn't appropriate.

Speaking to her dresser and friend Angela Kelly, the Monarch revealed she would love to be snapped in a more informal pose, such as standing with her hands in her pockets.

Queen's secret wish came true with 'inappropriate' photo - sparking 'disbelief'

View attachment 211799

I didn’t realise the significance of this photograph till I read this story but then I realised I had never seen Her Majesty take a photo with her hands in her pockets before. I’m sure she enjoyed her role in making Ms Kelly’s book.

I love it!!!
It's great to know that the Queen, like millions of women across north America, want a dress/sweater/pants with pockets. Is that too much for women to ask for :)

upload_2019-10-28_16-1-24.png
Jellybean Comics - by Loryn Brantz LB.

Since its all quiet on the Royal front today thought others might be interested in this documentary from a few years ago about the press and the royals PR with interviews from people like Charles' former press secretary. They go into really interesting things like how leaks happen for example when Camilla met William for the first time the journalist involved said he got it from Charles' spin doctor and how William found out about this very private event being leaked and felt used by his Father to rehabilitate Camilla's image.

Other questions I know people have asked like what stories or photos do the press have that they don't release, they talk about the pressure cooker agreement that was formed in '95 so that the press wouldn't report on the Princes day to day but occassionally the valve would be let off and they'd get a big event like photos of them on their first day of school. They said they didn't post photos and stories that they got in during the times that the valve was closed, examples he gave were photos of them going about their lives and stories about them at school and other things like them shooting from cars at Sandringham.

The press secretary featured had to give her resignation when she organised a feature about William for his 18th Birthday for a photographer with the understanding it would be shared with all the media equally but since he was under contract with the Telegraph they got the pictures first and the other media was up in arms. Piers Morgan essentially said because of the Telegraph getting the pictures first the pressure cooker agreement is off and we'll report what we like with the only way the Princes would keep their privacy going forward would be for her to resign.

Really interesting especially given recent leaks (discussions of sources) and Harry's lawsuits

Theres a part 2 available also, going to watch that now as I found the first one so interesting

For a 19-yr old male, I thought Harry was amazing with the children in the Lesotho gap-year footage.

As for the rest of it, I think it's good to be reminded of a few things I'd forgotten about, and to hear about a few things I hadn't heard before. It shows well how complicated these Royal articles are, how some of them have been spun by palace aides, and others spun (or made up) by the media. It's like the adage/saying to believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see, which we all know the importance of on a crime forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkit2110