The camera - is it possible for it to go off on its own?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My apologies I misread your words about JA not using a neck strap.

I don't remember if a wrist strap was found with the camera's items in the camera bag. Why wear a wrist strap if she had a neck strap? If it was her strap on her wrist it would be really awkward to accidentally snap a pic as clear as that pic is...she would have had to stop what she was doing and push down on a tilted upside down camera but why do that when she could pick it up and snap a pic? If she did have the camera on a wrist strap it's possible the strap could have broken.

No problem; I don't necessarily think she had it on a strap of any sort, it could explain how it seemed to travel with them as it took the last two accidental pictures but with the space not being all that large I tend to think it was unintentionally moved around during the mayhem.

I'd also like to point out that JA is left handed and so was TA. If she switched to a knife to kill TA then she'd be in a very awkward position to begin stabbing him from the left since his body was facing to the right. The gun would make more sense. Either way, if after the last photo of TA sitting at rest on the floor of the shower she initiated the attack, dropping the camera so she could switch to a weapon makes sense.

I am left-handed. I have said a lot in these threads that I write with my left hand, but I use scissors and knives in my right hand. Whether it's true or not, Jodi said she uses both hands, even to write, but she's more proficient with her left hand--in writing. Being left-handed has afforded me no difficulty in doing things in the world.

I even remember when I was little, the teacher kept trying to give me left-handed scissors. I'd just them with my right hand, but I couldn't use them because they don't work well in the right hand. she kept trying to make me use the left-handed scissors with my left hand, but I am not left-handed when it comes to some mechanical skills. She never prevailed and I got to use the same silver scissors the other kids had.

So from that experience, I could see that Jodi could possibly be right-handed with a knife or gun.

JA testified that she had two cameras of her own with her, one that she always kept in her purse (and her purse can be seen at the end of the bed in the nudie pics with TA lying down). She may have had her own neck or wrist strap that she could have used on TA's camera, considering the 2nd to last pic was taken behind her leg it seems a neck-strapped camera may not be able to take that shot but a camera on a wrist strap probably could.

If she used a strap of her own, I could better understand how the camera was dragged around the corner and up the hallway by a strap that might have fallen and gotten caught around one of Jodi's feet.

IF she had her own strap, she'd take it with her, most certainly and not leave it on his camera.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but digital pictures have their own EXIF data embedded in each picture. This data answers a lot of the questions we have about how each picture was taken.

The interesting thing is that you can download a EXIF reader in order to read EXIF data from pictures others have posted on the Internet. However, I don't know that we can do it with the evidence pictures because they are actually pictures of pictures...

My biggest question is the distance of the photos....just where Jodi took them from.... I am one who also believes that she was standing at a distance spying/taking pictures until Travis noticed her...

The following table shows Exif data for a photo made with a typical digital camera. I copied it from the wiki link i included at the bottom of this post, but I also included a link to a digital camera help website that was actually more informative for me...*especially the comments at the end of the article*....

Tag......................................Value
Manufacturer........................CASIO
Model.................................QV-4000
Orientation (rotation) ...........top - left [8 possible options]
Software.............................Ver1.01
Date /Time......................... 2003:08:11 16:45:32
YCbCr Positioning.................centered
Compression.......................JPEG compression
x-Resolution........................72.00
y-Resolution........................72.00
Resolution Unit ....................Inch
Exposure Time.....................1/659 sec.
FNumber.............................f/4.0
ExposureProgram.................Normal program
Exif Version.........................Exif Version 2.1
Date and Time (original)........2003:08:11 16:45:32
Date and Time (digitized)......2003:08:11 16:45:32
ComponentsConfiguration......Y Cb Cr -
Compressed Bits per Pixel......4.01
Exposure Bias ......................0.0
MaxApertureValue.................2.00
Metering Mode......................Pattern
Flash Flash............................did not fire.
Focal Length.........................20.1 mm
MakerNote ...........................432 bytes unknown data
FlashPixVersion.....................FlashPix Version 1.0
Color Spaces.........................RGB
PixelXDimension...................2240
PixelYDimension...................1680
File Source ...........................DSC
InteroperabilityIndex.............R98
InteroperabilityVersion..........(null)

http://www.digicamhelp.com/glossary/exif-data/

Exchangeable image file format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most digital cameras these days don't take much pressure on the shutter release button to take a picture. Many will take a picture if the button is bumped or the camera is laying upside down on the button. Some even have a shutter release on the lower right side of the camera body for when taking vertically oriented (Portrait) photos, but I don't believe this camera had that. However, many digital cameras have settings that could require that the lens is first in focus before a picture is taken, but based on the photos this feature was not active on this camera if available.

I agree that the timestamps likely don't indicate the use of a self-timer. Possible on the last two, as just delayed trigger photos. In other words, the self timer feature may have been activated somehow and when the camera is bumped or dropped it took one picture a few seconds later. Not likely though.

Being a photographer, and looking at the sequence of photos, my guess is that all the pictures except the last two were taken by JA pushing the shutter release directly. I believe they showed that the picture of his lower body only, sitting in the shower, came before the flash photo of his face. My idea is that this was the last photo deliberately taken and that TA wasn't injured yet. Since so many of the pictures prior to this were done without flash I even guess that the flash right in front of his face was deliberate to affect his vision while she swung the knife for the first time. That next picture of the ceiling and light above the shower I believe was taken with JA's right hand as the stabbing began with the left hand. She likely tensed all her muscles up as she lunged at him, including the finger above the shutter release, and then dropped the camera. The rest are just inadvertent bumping into the camera on the floor.

My God you may be right about the flash in essence blinding him for the moment it took JA to stab him in the chest. I can only sit here in stunned silence. Imagining this is all so awful. I DESPISE THAT DAMN WOMAN

I was wondering if this camera possibly had a safety strap and if it was attached to Arias's arm the whole time. It could have bumped into a lot of things if she wasn't holding it. It may have been swinging around taking the random pics that are seen.

Yes, I did mean that it appears she may have given birth to a child at some time in her past. I'd love to have an obstetrician/gynecologist's opinion on this, rather than my own.

Re the photo with the foot and leg in it: I think the medical opinions are that his throat had not been slit at this point. Because his head and shoulder are up off the floor.

A horrible crime by a horrible, horrible woman!

I don't know how to put this but...JA's privates are strange looking. I had a C-section so I don't count but really, her vagina is weird. See, I told you I don't know to put this! Ha! I only wish I had never looked at that picture. I've all ready given her too much of my time and life. One good thing, God is going to be ***** slapping her for eternity.

Wasn't her hair color in the pic JM showed of her with her sister the same brown color as it is in the nudie shots? I too was thinking she either copied the pics onto the memory stick or took pics of pics. I'm not convinced at all that those nudie pics were taken the same day, and am even less convinced they had sex that day. The chances of a man sending a text like he did on 5-25 or 5-26 and less than two weeks later have a big sex and picture taking party with 'the worst thing that ever happened to me'? I don't think so.

Okay, I don't know how to ask this question either. The picture of Travis naked with his genitals....they appear very dark (red?) is that from a sex romp to put it bluntly?

I'm thinking she didn't just drop the camera, she threw it down forcibly and attacked.

Wasn't her hair color in the pic JM showed of her with her sister the same brown color as it is in the nudie shots? I too was thinking she either copied the pics onto the memory stick or took pics of pics. I'm not convinced at all that those nudie pics were taken the same day, and am even less convinced they had sex that day. The chances of a man sending a text like he did on 5-25 or 5-26 and less than two weeks later have a big sex and picture taking party with 'the worst thing that ever happened to me'? I don't think so.

I totally agree with you on this.

I am just jumping in to say this is a fascinating thread!

:seeya:

I am also left handed. I also have a D-SLR and a bridge camera. The shutter buttons of every camera I have ever owned are on the right side of the lenses so if a person wanted to use a single hand to take a photo it MUST be held in the right hand. This leaves my dominant hand free for writing, stabbing, shooting, etc.

I think she popped him with the gun right after the face shot. He immediately drops to the bottom of the shower stall in that awkward sitting pose and her gun jams. she runs to get her knife and when she returns he's crawled out of the shower and pulled himself up to the sink where she approaches and stabs him in the back. He turns to fend her off, gaining defensive hand wounds in the process and she's able to stab him in the chest. At this point he is deliriously fighting for his life and trying to make it to the door of his bedroom to call for help and she slashes his throat to the point of decapitation. She pulls his body bak to the shower in an effort to get him away from the door, delaying discovery of his body. She thinks of the shower and what she can't wash down that drain she tosses in the washing machine before leaving.

I am left-handed. I have said a lot in these threads that I write with my left hand, but I use scissors and knives in my right hand. Whether it's true or not, Jodi said she uses both hands, even to write, but she's more proficient with her left hand--in writing. Being left-handed has afforded me no difficulty in doing things in the world.

I even remember when I was little, the teacher kept trying to give me left-handed scissors. I'd just them with my right hand, but I couldn't use them because they don't work well in the right hand. she kept trying to make me use the left-handed scissors with my left hand, but I am not left-handed when it comes to some mechanical skills. She never prevailed and I got to use the same silver scissors the other kids had.

So from that experience, I could see that Jodi could possibly be right-handed with a knife or gun.

Here's a photo of JA holding a camera, so it appears she holds it just like everyone else.

slide_272314_1933716_free_zps718e8abc.jpg

As to her privates, if you enhance that photo you can clearly see she's got a Tootsie Pop up there, just as she testified TA liked to put in her.

Here's a transcript of part of the tape and of JA's court testimony on the subject: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1302/18/ng.01.html

CNN Transcripts is a great source for checking things about the trial. Just put in a few search words and one of the transcripts is likely to show up.

I have a Sony DSC-H50 bought around 2007-8......(pretty sure?) Most of Sony's back then, if you weren't going major pro with them, have the button above the frame surface on the right upper hand top. You can have the camera discharge if it's dropped on the ground (tried it on a rug) and it could easily go off if it was kicked or bumped against something. My wolfdogs have done much worse to it, and it has come out pretty unscathed.....but then it's a Sony :yesss:

:desert:

So, I was just wondering if this picture is even possible from ground level. Has anyone tested that if that camera hit the floor it could even take a picture like this? It looks as though it was taken from about waist level. What does anyone else think?
I am new to Web Sleuths, and am still figuring out the site and how to post pictures and such. The picture I am referring to is the one that is aimed at the light and ceiling right above the shower stall.
:rocker:

So, I was just wondering if this picture is even possible from ground level. Has anyone tested that if that camera hit the floor it could even take a picture like this? It looks as though it was taken from about waist level. What does anyone else think?
I am new to Web Sleuths, and am still figuring out the site and how to post pictures and such. The picture I am referring to is the one that is aimed at the light and ceiling right above the shower stall.
:rocker:

Great thread! I think it's pretty much impossible for this picture to have been taken by dropping and hitting the ground. The angle is impossible. Something would have needed to push the shutter button. The camera would not have just fired off. A detective also said it was taken from about 3 feet off the ground. The camera appears to be in motion horizontally. Jodi had to have been holding the camera when this was taken.

I always had the thought that she was dropping it on purpose...finger still by shutter, so it could have inadvertently taken a photo as the murder began.

I always had the thought that she was dropping it on purpose...finger still by shutter, so it could have inadvertently taken a photo as the murder began.

I think that as well, I also think she was DESPERATE to see the crime scene photos as she asked the detective over and over again to 'see the photos,' during her interrogation. I think she really wanted to see her 'handy work' as she was murdering Travis.

I think JA wanted every single moment with TA documented via photos even his demise at her hands. She is utterly terrifying and would absolutely do this again if she is ever let out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthonyotoole
Back