DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi Serpico,

Can you link this up for us please?

Thanks!

Salem
-------------------------------
Dang....kinda exposed here - very limited in computer link ups and such. Could someone google.. Forensic Science Cause Of Death - ThinkQuest ....you'll see Hanging link.
Sorry Salem...next time I'll ask first rather than posting such a long article.

As I've indicated in a previous post that I've re-read RZ AR about a half dozen times recently and another thing caused me to pause about brash ME Lucas.

If you read Search Warrant#41227 ...you will notice the Judge signed the Search Warrant request by Detective Brian Patterson 7/13/11 at 2:37 pm. If you then go up and look after the 45 items Detective Patterson gathered from Search Warrant ....he signs at 1626 (4;26pm) and dates 7/13/11.

RZ Autopsy Report = Investigative Report - Dana Gary arrives with ME Lucas and he describes the guesthouse as he walks through and then DEFERS to the mansion report to ME Lucas AR.

ME Lucas AR = Scene Note ...arrived 1915 hour (7:15 pm) and leaves 2100 hour (9:00 pm). He mentions that at 2000 hour (8:00pm) about the RZ rigor mortis then concludes his Scene Notes on his final paragraph ,"the bedroom within which the ligature was fastened
was examined OUTSIDE the inside door due to the fact that it HAD NOT BEEN PROCESSED by SDSO and CPD. Say what? Wasn't it processed 3 1/2 hours earlier by Detective Patterson and didn't you and Dana Gary walk through the guesthouse bedroom minutes before? Geez.... what's going on here? Please help me out here:
1-Dana Gary doesn't mention the 2nd floor bedroom after discussing the guesthouse then DEFERS to ME Lucas about the mansion,etc.
2- ME Lucas implies he stood outside in the 2nd floor hallway just from the Message Door but didn't go inside because it hadn't been processed yet to notice the Wicker chair overturned, blood on the carpet, blood on the white/green towel,blood on the shower floor, hair stuck on the shower wall,etc.
3- Bottomline...why would D.Gary DEFER about mansion notes to ME Lucas and then why would ME Lucas state a very suspicious reason why he never entered the 2nd floor bedroom?
4- ME Lucas was there at 1043 Ocean Blvd. on 7/13/11 for an hour and 45 minutes....what did he do - who did he spend most of his time talking with for 105 minutes and Rebecca waited over 13 hours to be covered up.....makes you wonder if ME Lucas ever went inside the mansion at all..

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Cyril Wecht questions the ME Lucas findings in Ann Rule's book - page 249.
Did Dr. Wecht ever release his own official AR on RZ?

Serpico, As far as I know Dr Wecht did not release his own official AR.
Here is a link to his interview on Websleuths Blog radio after his autopsy. Very interesting to listen to it again if you haven't yet. Excellent questions and comments by Cynic:

http://blogtalk.vo.llnwd.net/o23/show/2/527/show_2527531.mp3

It's truly hard to discern the blood from the pics.
These pictures lack the definition to allow us to say much with any degree of authority. (We can speculate, though. :) )
Where the red arrow is pointing to the third finger on the inside of Rebecca's hand, is that blood or is it a portion of the red rope?
I don't know, it might even be a photo artifact of some sort.
The rope does exit through the fingers of the right hand, but between the index and second finger, not the third and fourth where we see the red blotch. From the AR:
There is an 84 inch segment of rope extending from a slip knot on the left wrist. This 84 inch segment pulls through the slip knot. This segment extends from the left wrist into the right hand and exits between the right index and middle fingers.
So we only know that there is blood in Rebecca's fingers because of Ann Rule's book since this info is not mentioned in Rebecca's autopsy report signed by the SD ME?
No, Ann obtained all of that information from the AR, she just didn't use the jargon.

Note the lividity on her back clearly outlining her wrists and hands. We've discussed the discrepancy in rigor and livor mortis umpteen times, but I will state it again. In order for the blood to have fixed in her back and not in her feet, she had to have been fairly "fresh" when placed on the ground. It is scientifically impossible for her to have been hanging for almost 4 hours as "presumed" by ME Lucas IMO.
"Immediately after death, the blood is "unfixed" and will move to other body parts if the body's position is changed. After a few hours, the pooled blood becomes "fixed" and will not move.
Read more: http://www.deathreference.com/Py-Se/...#ixzz2coccqBiS
Hey Carioca,
Please forgive me for disagreeing :) but after seeing the picture of the lower legs I was actually quite surprised to see the degree of lividity that was present. Prior to this we had only the language of the autopsy report which was remarkably vague and seemed to be silent about ANY lividity in the legs and feet.
From the AR, “At 2000 hours rigor mortis was marked in the upper and lower extremities, neck, and jaw. Livor mortis was posterior, red and fixed.There is also red livor mortis on the upper chest. There is green discoloration of each lower quadrant of the abdomen.”
Curiously, Lucas seemed to confirm that there was no lividity there:

From the Sept.2, 2011 press conference.http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/

Reporter: Dr. Lucas, I’m sure it’s in your initial report, but somewhere there’s some language about lividity in the body, and this has come up in a lot of internet sites that there was liviidity in her back but was there lividity in her feet and can it transfer if she’s hanging for three hours and she gets lividity in her feet, can it transfer to her back after she’s laying in the courtyard for 15 hours and isn’t it better for a medical examiner to examine the body for lividity in the feet, like right away, like go and see if there’s lividity within 90 minutes rather than waiting 15 hours to go and examine the body?
Dr. Lucas: The lividity pattern is an easy explanation, and you’re absolutely right, lividity is simply the blood, the dark red discoloration on the body when the blood settles with gravity after death and it follows gravity if you turn the body, or move the body, for the first 10 or 12 hours it will just follow gravity, so that’s precisely why… she was found certainly less than 12 hours after she died, it was actually, I think, only a few hours or so, more or less, and laid down on the grass and once that happened, the minute she got on the grass, the blood started to re-settle and remained in her back. As to the length of time between the death or the discovery I should say and our arrival, we in this particular case, it’s critical that evidence around the body be processed by the Sheriff’s department or any other law enforcement agency before we get there because they can’t have us walking through the crime scene and then removing the body is actually also a fairly disruptive process and we want to make sure evidence is collected around the body first and the Sheriff’s department is very good about expediting that as fast as possible, given the case.
Reporter: In the initial photographs that were taken, early on after the 911 call, were there photographs taken showing that there may be red splotches or lividity found in her feet or did anyone from your office walk up to the body and notice lividity in her feet early on?
Dr. Lucas: No, our office did not have a representative there until several hours in, I don’t know the exact time, so we weren’t there to examine it until the time at which the body was removed.
Reporter: Did you see any photographs ever showing lividity in the feet?
Dr. Lucas: The photographs that I can recall of the top of my head, I never saw anything that would be inconsistent with the scenario as we understand it, so I didn’t see anything out of sorts, I didn’t see lividity against gravity and especially if she’s only been dead for a few hours lividity is going to transfer real quick.
Reporter: So your opinion is that if someone had examined the body right when she was cut down and if she had been there for say three hours there would have been some noticeable lividity in her feet and once she lay there for a half a day then the lividity from her feet went away.
Dr Lucas: Yes, the moment she was cut down if there was a photograph when that occurred it’s logical to conclude that she would have had lividity in her feet, probably her hands as well, but she was so fresh when she was brought down that that would have re-settled pretty quickly.
Reporter: And that by the time you got there, you never noticed any lividity in her feet.
Dr. Lucas: I wouldn’t have expected it to be there by the time we got there.

Thinking that there was no evidence of lividity in her lower legs and feet, it prompted me to ask Cyril Wecht on the Nov 20/11 Websleuths radio show to comment.
Cynic: From the lower legs, how in the world is that blood going to get just by gravity, which of course is always pulling it down toward the ground, how is it going to end up away from those legs…
Dr. Wecht: I agree, there would have been some residual settling of blood in the distal calves and feet, I agree with you.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/websleu...dr-cyril-wecht

As Dr. Wecht correctly stated, if Rebecca was hanging for several hours, her legs would been loaded with blood from the upper body and while there would have been some resettling given the position in which she was found, the picture that we see with quite apparent lividity in the calves and feet makes sense.

99djpe.jpg

"Immediately after death, the blood is "unfixed" and will move to other body parts if the body's position is changed. After a few hours, the pooled blood becomes "fixed" and will not move.
Read more: http://www.deathreference.com/Py-Se/...#ixzz2coccqBiS

The estimates with respect to the length time it takes for lividity to become fixed does vary, although, the most frequently cited range is 8-12 hours.
That range is also commonly dubbed as “typical.”
Here are a couple of examples:
"8-12 hours (24-36 hours in cooler temps)"
http://www.hpregional.org/departments/science/staffhomepages/tcostello/timeofdeath.pdf
"Livor mortis develops gradually, usually reaching its maximum coloration at 8–12 h. At about this time, it is said to become “fixed.”
http://el.trc.gov.om:4000/htmlroot/MEDICAL/tcolon/forensic_med/Forensic%20Pathology/E-Books/Time%20of%20Death.pdf

Onset and fixation times are stated in very general time frames although the fact of the matter is that there is there can be considerable variation especially with respect to fixation.

Livor Mortis (Hypostasis)

Livor mortis is the result of the cessation of cardiac activity and the settling of blood in the capillaries and venules, thus distending them, in the dependent parts of the body. The dependent engorged blood vessels impart a purple-blue color to the overlying skin with the exception of those parts of the body serving as ‘pressure points.’ As an example, if someone dies in a supine position (resting on their back) livor mortis will develop on their back with the exception of the shoulder blades, buttocks, calves and heels. It is these parts of the body, which are supporting its weight and thus are referred to as ‘pressure points.’
The color of livor is ultimately determined by the degree of oxyhemoglobin present at the time of death. As stated the typical color of livor is purplish-blue. However, if the body has been refrigerated, the peripheral margins of the livor can appear red to pink.

[SNIP]

Livor mortis usually appears within 30 min to 2 hours after death. There is however some variability in the literature as to the onset of livor. Adelson’s used a time frame of 30 min to 4 hours for the onset, Spitz and Fisher 2 to 4 hours, Gradwohl 20 to 30 min, DiMaio 30 min to 2 hours and Knight 30 min to 2 hours.

[SNIP]

It is typically stated that if the body remains in the same position as at the time of death for 6 to 12 hours livor mortis will become fixed.
For example, should a person die lyingon their back and remain in that position for 6 to 12 hours, livor mortis will become fixed on the posterior surface of their body with the exception of pressure points and will remain so even if their body is turned over onto their stomach. This is a helpful feature that can give you insight as to whether the body position was changed after death.
Should you apply pressure with your finger onto the area of livor mortis it will not blanch. This is what is meant when the pathologist uses the phrase “fixed violaceous post mortem lividity extends over the anterior or posterior surface of the body with the exception of pressure points.”
Should the body be moved before fixation has taken place, the livor will shift to the new dependent position. It should be understood that the time frames given for onset of livor and development of fixation are not rigid. Francis Camps reported a case in which livor was fixed within one hour of death. John Burton observed shifting of livor in bodies moved 24 hours after death. Perhaps the best study on the issue of shifting and fixation of livor mortis was that done by Suzutani et al. In their study involving 430 bodies livor was fixed in 30% of those deaths that were 6 to 12 hours old. In over 50% livor was fixed in those who had been dead for 12 to 24 hours and no fading occurred in 70% in those who had been dead for more than 1 to 3 days. However, there was a substantial number of cases in which livor was not fixed after 3 days, thus in some cases there can be redistribution of livor up until decomposition commences with staining of the tissues due to hemolysis, which typically begins around 36 to 48 hours at a temperature of 70°F.
This is often associated with a pronounced green discoloration to the surface of the skin in the right lower abdominal region.
Due to the significant individual variation in the onset of livor mortis and the variability as to when it becomes fixed it cannot be used as a definitive reliable factor in determining time of death. This is not to suggest that livor mortis does not provide any useful information. In a general sense livor can provide some insight into the postmortem interval through its degree of development and whether a body has been moved after death. Livor found on the back of a body lying prone suggest that body has been moved several hours after death.
http://forensicmd.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/early-postmortem-changes1.pdf

See also:

Fixation of lividity is a relative, rather than an absolute, phenomenon, but nevertheless, well developed lividity fades very slowly and only incompletely. Fading of the primary pattern of lividity and development of a secondary pattern of lividity will be quicker and more complete if the body is moved within, say, the first six hours after death, than at a later period.
Even after 24 hours, moving the body will result in a secondary pattern of lividity developing. Duality of the distribution of lividity is important because it shows that the body had been moved after death. However, the timing of this movement of the body is inexact. Polson claims "it shows that the body had been moved ... within 8 to 12 hours".
Camps states more convincingly that "for the hypostasis of have value in this way, the body must have first remained in one position for a length of time, perhaps about 10 hours, sufficient for the lividity to have become well developed and it must then be examined early enough after being moved before much of the hypostasis has become redistributed".
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/forensicmedicine/notes/timedeath.pdf

Wasn't the tag or warning label of the red rope supposed to have been wrapped in the ankle bindings?

Anyone seen a photo which included that tag/warning label or whatever it was?
ETA: From RZ AR page 8 & 9 section "BINDINGS/LIGATURE:" "Ankles:"

... Wrapped within the bindings is a yellow plastic tube which encircles one strand of thicker rope, which appears to be a water sport tow rope handle. There is a warning on the yellow handle stating among other thing that it is "...intended only for towing up to a maximum of two people or 340 pounds on an inflatable tube." ...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B54...NGE4LWEyZDgtMjc3OWUxZTYzYmY5/edit?hl=en&pli=1

Cynic - have you formed an opinion on how RZ soles of her feet were so caked in dirt/mud?
Also, from the 3 legged patio table photos shown.... there doesn't appear to be any dirt/mud atop the table yet you have RZ with dirty soles on both feet and Adam had enough dirt to leave footprints in the hallway leading to the kitchen.....I wish the Zahau family would release the full polygraph test with Paul Redden and any interview Adam did that morning with SDSO detectives.

Wasn't the tag or warning label of the red rope supposed to have been wrapped in the ankle bindings?

Anyone seen a photo which included that tag/warning label or whatever it was?

Good point....actually come to think of it I believe there was but no package mentioned. If the package was open you would think it would be at the dock or on a boat.

Did SDSO detectives ever interview the couple that lives in the other house on the property? If not , then why not? I'd like to know:
1- when do the courtyard sprinklers come on?
2-had they ever seen that orange/red rope?
3- what do they do about the home security system at 1043 Ocean Blvd?
4- had they ever been present when Jonah and the kids were there during the summer/ If so, do you know if backdoor was locked at night?
5- would you be able to hear a Scream and Yell for Help from their living quarters if it came from inside the house or front porch area?
6-where do you think the candle that was found near the patio table came from?
7- where do you think RZ could've attracted so much dirt/mud that were found on the soles of her feet?

These pictures lack the definition to allow us to say much with any degree of authority. (We can speculate, though. :) )
For example, we have a PERFECT view of the posterolateral area of the right fourth (little) finger where the autopsy report says there, "is a small amount of dried blood," but I don't see it.

I don't know, it might even be a photo artifact of some sort.
It's disheartening when you can't even see what according to the autopsy should be there as I mentioned above.
The rope does exit through the fingers of the right hand, but between the index and second finger, not the second and third where we see the red blotch. From the AR:
There is an 84 inch segment of rope extending from a slip knot on the left wrist. This 84 inch segment pulls through the slip knot. This segment extends from the left wrist into the right hand and exits between the right index and middle fingers.

No, Ann obtained all of that information from the AR, she just didn't use the jargon.

Thanks for clarifications. It was a bit confusing when in your pictorial post you had stated twice "This is NOT mentioned in the AR" which led me to believe that either you (or Ann Rule) discovered NEW things that were not explicitly stated in the AR by SD ME.

Also, I realize we may differ in our counting of fingers. I count the thumb as a finger also, so to me, majority of people have five fingers on each hand, the middle finger being the longest one. So when I said third finger, I was referring to the longest finger in Rebecca's hand and to me, it looked like a portion of the rope but as you say, it could simply be an artifact... :)

Hey Carioca,
Please forgive me for disagreeing :) but after seeing the picture of the lower legs I was actually quite surprised to see the degree of lividity that was present. Prior to this we had only the language of the autopsy report which was remarkably vague and seemed to be silent about ANY lividity in the legs and feet.
From the AR, “At 2000 hours rigor mortis was marked in the upper and lower extremities, neck, and jaw. Livor mortis was posterior, red and fixed.There is also red livor mortis on the upper chest. There is green discoloration of each lower quadrant of the abdomen.”
Curiously, Lucas seemed to confirm that there was no lividity there:

From the Sept.2, 2011 press conference.http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/

Reporter: Dr. Lucas, I’m sure it’s in your initial report, but somewhere there’s some language about lividity in the body, and this has come up in a lot of internet sites that there was liviidity in her back but was there lividity in her feet and can it transfer if she’s hanging for three hours and she gets lividity in her feet, can it transfer to her back after she’s laying in the courtyard for 15 hours and isn’t it better for a medical examiner to examine the body for lividity in the feet, like right away, like go and see if there’s lividity within 90 minutes rather than waiting 15 hours to go and examine the body?
Dr. Lucas: The lividity pattern is an easy explanation, and you’re absolutely right, lividity is simply the blood, the dark red discoloration on the body when the blood settles with gravity after death and it follows gravity if you turn the body, or move the body, for the first 10 or 12 hours it will just follow gravity, so that’s precisely why… she was found certainly less than 12 hours after she died, it was actually, I think, only a few hours or so, more or less, and laid down on the grass and once that happened, the minute she got on the grass, the blood started to re-settle and remained in her back. As to the length of time between the death or the discovery I should say and our arrival, we in this particular case, it’s critical that evidence around the body be processed by the Sheriff’s department or any other law enforcement agency before we get there because they can’t have us walking through the crime scene and then removing the body is actually also a fairly disruptive process and we want to make sure evidence is collected around the body first and the Sheriff’s department is very good about expediting that as fast as possible, given the case.
Reporter: In the initial photographs that were taken, early on after the 911 call, were there photographs taken showing that there may be red splotches or lividity found in her feet or did anyone from your office walk up to the body and notice lividity in her feet early on?
Dr. Lucas: No, our office did not have a representative there until several hours in, I don’t know the exact time, so we weren’t there to examine it until the time at which the body was removed.
Reporter: Did you see any photographs ever showing lividity in the feet?
Dr. Lucas: The photographs that I can recall of the top of my head, I never saw anything that would be inconsistent with the scenario as we understand it, so I didn’t see anything out of sorts, I didn’t see lividity against gravity and especially if she’s only been dead for a few hours lividity is going to transfer real quick.
Reporter: So your opinion is that if someone had examined the body right when she was cut down and if she had been there for say three hours there would have been some noticeable lividity in her feet and once she lay there for a half a day then the lividity from her feet went away.
Dr Lucas: Yes, the moment she was cut down if there was a photograph when that occurred it’s logical to conclude that she would have had lividity in her feet, probably her hands as well, but she was so fresh when she was brought down that that would have re-settled pretty quickly.
Reporter: And that by the time you got there, you never noticed any lividity in her feet.
Dr. Lucas: I wouldn’t have expected it to be there by the time we got there.

Thinking that there was no evidence of lividity in her lower legs and feet, it prompted me to ask Cyril Wecht on the Nov 20/11 Websleuths radio show to comment.
Cynic: From the lower legs, how in the world is that blood going to get just by gravity, which of course is always pulling it down toward the ground, how is it going to end up away from those legs…
Dr. Wecht: I agree, there would have been some residual settling of blood in the distal calves and feet, I agree with you.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/websleu...dr-cyril-wecht

As Dr. Wecht correctly stated, if Rebecca was hanging for several hours, her legs would been loaded with blood from the upper body and while there would have been some resettling given the position in which she was found, the picture that we see with quite apparent lividity in the calves and feet makes sense.

99djpe.jpg

The estimates with respect to the length time it takes for lividity to become fixed does vary, although, the most frequently cited range is 8-12 hours.
That range is also commonly dubbed as “typical.”
Here are a couple of examples:
"8-12 hours (24-36 hours in cooler temps)"
http://www.hpregional.org/departments/science/staffhomepages/tcostello/timeofdeath.pdf
"Livor mortis develops gradually, usually reaching its maximum coloration at 8–12 h. At about this time, it is said to become “fixed.”
http://el.trc.gov.om:4000/htmlroot/MEDICAL/tcolon/forensic_med/Forensic%20Pathology/E-Books/Time%20of%20Death.pdf

Onset and fixation times are stated in very general time frames although the fact of the matter is that there is there can be considerable variation especially with respect to fixation.

Livor Mortis (Hypostasis)

Livor mortis is the result of the cessation of cardiac activity and the settling of blood in the capillaries and venules, thus distending them, in the dependent parts of the body. The dependent engorged blood vessels impart a purple-blue color to the overlying skin with the exception of those parts of the body serving as ‘pressure points.’ As an example, if someone dies in a supine position (resting on their back) livor mortis will develop on their back with the exception of the shoulder blades, buttocks, calves and heels. It is these parts of the body, which are supporting its weight and thus are referred to as ‘pressure points.’
The color of livor is ultimately determined by the degree of oxyhemoglobin present at the time of death. As stated the typical color of livor is purplish-blue. However, if the body has been refrigerated, the peripheral margins of the livor can appear red to pink.

[SNIP]

Livor mortis usually appears within 30 min to 2 hours after death. There is however some variability in the literature as to the onset of livor. Adelson’s used a time frame of 30 min to 4 hours for the onset, Spitz and Fisher 2 to 4 hours, Gradwohl 20 to 30 min, DiMaio 30 min to 2 hours and Knight 30 min to 2 hours.

[SNIP]

It is typically stated that if the body remains in the same position as at the time of death for 6 to 12 hours livor mortis will become fixed.
For example, should a person die lyingon their back and remain in that position for 6 to 12 hours, livor mortis will become fixed on the posterior surface of their body with the exception of pressure points and will remain so even if their body is turned over onto their stomach. This is a helpful feature that can give you insight as to whether the body position was changed after death.
Should you apply pressure with your finger onto the area of livor mortis it will not blanch. This is what is meant when the pathologist uses the phrase “fixed violaceous post mortem lividity extends over the anterior or posterior surface of the body with the exception of pressure points.”
Should the body be moved before fixation has taken place, the livor will shift to the new dependent position. It should be understood that the time frames given for onset of livor and development of fixation are not rigid. Francis Camps reported a case in which livor was fixed within one hour of death. John Burton observed shifting of livor in bodies moved 24 hours after death. Perhaps the best study on the issue of shifting and fixation of livor mortis was that done by Suzutani et al. In their study involving 430 bodies livor was fixed in 30% of those deaths that were 6 to 12 hours old. In over 50% livor was fixed in those who had been dead for 12 to 24 hours and no fading occurred in 70% in those who had been dead for more than 1 to 3 days. However, there was a substantial number of cases in which livor was not fixed after 3 days, thus in some cases there can be redistribution of livor up until decomposition commences with staining of the tissues due to hemolysis, which typically begins around 36 to 48 hours at a temperature of 70°F.
This is often associated with a pronounced green discoloration to the surface of the skin in the right lower abdominal region.
Due to the significant individual variation in the onset of livor mortis and the variability as to when it becomes fixed it cannot be used as a definitive reliable factor in determining time of death. This is not to suggest that livor mortis does not provide any useful information. In a general sense livor can provide some insight into the postmortem interval through its degree of development and whether a body has been moved after death. Livor found on the back of a body lying prone suggest that body has been moved several hours after death.
http://forensicmd.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/early-postmortem-changes1.pdf

See also:

Fixation of lividity is a relative, rather than an absolute, phenomenon, but nevertheless, well developed lividity fades very slowly and only incompletely. Fading of the primary pattern of lividity and development of a secondary pattern of lividity will be quicker and more complete if the body is moved within, say, the first six hours after death, than at a later period.
Even after 24 hours, moving the body will result in a secondary pattern of lividity developing. Duality of the distribution of lividity is important because it shows that the body had been moved after death. However, the timing of this movement of the body is inexact. Polson claims "it shows that the body had been moved ... within 8 to 12 hours".
Camps states more convincingly that "for the hypostasis of have value in this way, the body must have first remained in one position for a length of time, perhaps about 10 hours, sufficient for the lividity to have become well developed and it must then be examined early enough after being moved before much of the hypostasis has become redistributed".
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/forensicmedicine/notes/timedeath.pdf

Thanks for the medical and forensic references. I'll just cut to the chase. Are you saying that there *IS* lividity and livor mortis shown in Rebecca's lower legs and therefore she *WAS* indeed hanging when she died? Or are you saying it's a *relative* phenomenon and therefore, the lividity and livor mortis does not indicate with any certainty whether Rebecca was hanging for a long time vs. the fact that her body might have been moved and the lividity and livor mortis then changed due to her altered body positions after she was cut down by Adam and potentially moved by Adam and other EMS/LE/ME personnel?

Thanks for the medical and forensic references. I'll just cut to the chase. Are you saying that there *IS* lividity and livor mortis shown in Rebecca's lower legs and therefore she *WAS* indeed hanging when she died? Or are you saying it's a *relative* phenomenon and therefore, the lividity and livor mortis does not indicate with any certainty whether Rebecca was hanging for a long time vs. the fact that her body might have been moved and the lividity and livor mortis then changed due to her altered body positions after she was cut down by Adam and potentially moved by Adam and other EMS/LE/ME personnel?

I'm not sure if anyone can be sure because if you base your assumptions with ME Lucas saying RZ died at 3am and Adam says he cut her down at 6:45am.....personally, I don't believe either one of them. I think she was dead closer to midnight than 3am and where her body was for nearly 7 hours....only Adam knows and possibly others.RZ's feet had to be OUTSIDE the mansion to get those feet that dirty and not track on the carpet inside. The candle that was mentioned outside in the courtyard would seem to indicate someone needed "light" during the dark hours.

Serpico, As far as I know Dr Wecht did not release his own official AR.
Here is a link to his interview on Websleuths Blog radio after his autopsy. Very interesting to listen to it again if you haven't yet. Excellent questions and comments by Cynic:

http://blogtalk.vo.llnwd.net/o23/show/2/527/show_2527531.mp3

Thanks Carioca....it was very interesting to hear Dr. Wecht and Cynic's questions. I wish we could get them together again with more questions.
A few questions I would like to see Dr. Wecht answer:

1- could the bruises/abrasions on RZ's lower right/left quadrant come from an attacker using their thumbs to press down to restrain Rebecca during a sexual attack?
2-are you shocked that an assault/rape kit wasn't used given the blood,gagged,bound, nude young woman hanging without any drugs and alcohol in her system?
3- how does a CLUMP of hair wind up on shower wall?
4-if you....
woke up one morning and saw your brother's attractive and fit 32 year old girlfriend hanging nude from the outside 2nd floor balcony could you ever see yourself calling 911 and say,'we have someone that hung herself then text your brother to tell him that his girlfriend committed suicide?
5- can you explain why Adam wouldn't just reach up and take out the GAG out of RZ's mouth at 6;40am instead at 6:45am after he cut her down?

Cynic and Dr. Dan Krane (a DNA forensics infomatics expert) were also on a recent (08/18/2013) Tricia's talkradio discussing DNA. Although the show did not focus on the Zahau case, they spoke about how the ABSENCE or even the PRESENCE of DNA does not prove anything.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/websle...as-true-crime-radio-sunday-night-8-pm-eastern

In particular, Dr. Krane stated an important axiom, "The presence of a DNA profile on an evidence sample doesn't necessarily tell us anything about the time frame or circumstances under which that DNA came to be there."

I believe this is critical in understanding that even though it *appeared* to SDLE that Rebecca's was the only DNA found on the murder room items, that means essentially NOTHING because we do not know how her DNA got there. For all we know, her murderer(s) were wearing gloves or were poor DNA shedders, or Rebecca's DNA could have been planted there by Rebecca's murderers, or the DNA found in the room were residual DNA from when Rebecca had last used the room days or even months or years ago.

According to Dr. Krane, "We need to look at blood splatter analysis, video captures of what was going on during the crime, confessions, etc. to be able to piece together the puzzle because the DNA profile just tells that the person's DNA was there. How is it that it got to be there still needs to be sorted out".

I want to highlight he speaks about VIDEO CAPTURES. It would have been most helpful had there been video captures of Rebecca's murderer(s) the night she was killed at the Spreckels mansion. However, according to Ann Rule and SDLE, we do have video captures from hospital and RMH surveillance cameras of Jonah (but NOT Dina) during the time period in which Rebecca was murdered. This is highly significant because it means Dina has NO ALIBI for when Rebecca was savagely and vindictively murdered.

I'm not sure if anyone can be sure because if you base your assumptions with ME Lucas saying RZ died at 3am and Adam says he cut her down at 6:45am.....personally, I don't believe either one of them. I think she was dead closer to midnight than 3am and where her body was for nearly 7 hours....only Adam knows and possibly others.RZ's feet had to be OUTSIDE the mansion to get those feet that dirty and not track on the carpet inside. The candle that was mentioned outside in the courtyard would seem to indicate someone needed "light" during the dark hours.

What I find hard to believe is that with all the known science, investigators were unable to determine the exact time of Rebecca's death. I'm thinking the ambiguity in her time of death is not just because she might have been strangled first and then hanged, but that the ME decided NOT to show up immediately upon hearing about the crime but instead wasted a whole day of 13 plus hours before bothering to show up at the crime scene to examine her body. A lot of critical evidence from Rebecca's body and the crime scene were LOST during that protracted, lengthy period of time in which the ME dilly-dallied, and IMO, he did so INTENTIONALLY because of orders from higher authorities such as Sheriff Gore who believed that Rebecca deserved her tortured death.

What I find hard to believe is that with all the known science, investigators were unable to determine the exact time of Rebecca's death. I'm thinking the ambiguity in her time of death is not just because she might have been strangled first and then hanged, but that the ME decided NOT to show up immediately upon hearing about the crime but instead wasted a whole day of 13 plus hours before bothering to show up at the crime scene to examine her body. A lot of critical evidence from Rebecca's body and the crime scene were LOST during that protracted, lengthy period of time in which the ME dilly-dallied, and IMO, he did so INTENTIONALLY because of orders from higher authorities such as Sheriff Gore who believed that Rebecca deserved her tortured death.

IIRC, the last computer activity was reportedly at 3:00am (or within a few minutes of 3:00am). I believe LE later explained this as an automated function of the computer, but I always wondered if the computer activity was considered when establishing a time of death. I know that's not how it normally works when establishing a time of death, but this case is unusual in many regards.

All of the above is just my opinion.

<snipped for focus>
I was extremely surprised at the lapse in acquiring "cell phone information." And, the reason being, the case that won Tsuida, homicide detective of the year..... there were more than 70 SEARCH WARRANTS issued for cell/phone records
But, then again..."outside" (more thorough, funded?) agencies were brought in for assistance.
San Diego Homicide Detective Angela Tsuida Named California Homicide Investigators Association’s 2010 CHIA Investigator of the Year Written by Kay Ochi
http://www.scribd.com/doc/37126792/Borderline-July-2010
(just wanted to make sure I got my source in place:blushing:)
Thanks iQuestion for the link to the article. I believe the following excerpts are worth noting:

San Diego Homicide Detective Angela Tsuida Named California Homicide Investigators Association’s 2010 CHIA Investigator of the Year
Written by Kay Ochi
July 2010 - a year before Rebecca was murdered

[Excerpt from the article]
The San Diego Sheriff’s Crime Lab determined that Schoeneman [the victim] was a DNA contributor to the blood found on the seat belt in the rental car. An unknown person’s DNA profile was obtained from the knife. Dunn’s [murder suspect 1] DNA profile was excluded.

Search warrants for pen registers/trap and traces on Dunn and Navarro’s [murder suspect 2] cell phones were initiated. A DNA sample from Navarro was obtained without making him suspicious.

The Sheriff’s Crime Lab matched the unknown DNA profile on the knife to Navarro. A wiretap was requested. No wiretap had ever been conducted from the East County Branch of the San Diego District Attorney’s Office.

Law enforcement officers consisting of San Diego Sheriff’s deputies, DOJ/BII special agents, and NCIS special agents converged on Fresno to conduct the wiretap and surveillance operation. After this surveillance, Jeffrey Dunn and Robert Navarro were arrested and charged for Murder with Special Circumstances.

During this investigation, Detective Tsuida and her team authored and executed over 70 search warrants pertaining to phone records, internet accounts, bank records, residences, vehicles, along with pen registers and a wire tap affidavit.

Department of Justice supervisor, Tyler Burtis, stated, “Detective Tsuida was able to overcome logistical and political adversity in order to bring those responsible for the murder of Charles Schoeneman to justice.” Dunn and Navarro are currently awaiting trial.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37126792/Borderline-July-2010

Footnote: Navarro was sentenced to 15 years to life; Dunn was killed in a jail fight. Justice was served for Charles and his family. To read more about the sentencing and judges comments:
http://www.10news.com/news/man-who-stabbed-sailor-to-death-sentenced

BTW Angela Tsuida's award and commendable service has been discussed in the RZ and MS Timeline here:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8651235"]Rebecca and Max Timeline - Page 5 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

With so much unidentified DNA at the Spreckels crime scene, it's beyond baffling as to WHY Dina Romano Flores Shacknai's DNA was not obtained and processed, if for nothing else, to at least exclude her. Geez, DRFS could still voluntarily request that her DNA profile be included along with release of the RCH surveillance tapes to prove her innocence. Now wouldn't that be special?

Granted, the detectives were very sensitive to a mother whose one and only child was in critical condition, but they could easily have obtained it, IF THEY HAD WANTED TO, without seeming insensitive (offering a glass of water during interview maybe?), seeing as they have experience doing so.

Angela Tsuida has proven to be an exemplary detective who allowed NOTHING to deter her from bringing justice to murder victim Charles Schoeneman. So who was it that hijacked her homicide investigation into the death of Rebecca Zahu? IMO if we find the answer to that question, we find out who is responsible for Rebecca's murder and the subsequent fork-in-the-road = coverup.
:jail:

Just my opinion

BBM Totally agree with you, bourne. Intentionally destroyed bodily evidence by delaying arrival of ME for 13+ hours. Brilliant move on the part of those responsible; points to premeditation IMO.

I took some quick notes while listening to Dr Wecht's radio interview, in particular to death pre-hanging. Am paraphrasing, but what I understood is there was substantial damage to the hyoid - basically broken. Extensive hemorrhaging in the neck muscles. Both would be present in manual strangulation. Dr Wecht noted all "force" (can't read my notes ..lol) in the front, NONE in the rear. Thus, and he emphases this several times, he CANNOT rule out strangulation. He is not saying it is but he cannot rule it out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back