The cost of searching for Kyron

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
oh my. 200 sets of records subpoenaed. So far. That's alotta subpoenas. :)

For a criminal inquiry. For one tech. For a year.

*groans*

I have a suggestion! :idea: Let's put 12 techs on this and get it done in a month. :D

so...not a cold case...not a hot case...but a lukewarm case?

Or one getting ready for a prosecution.

Oh boy, this is gonna make a whole bunch of Oregonians very upset. Dairygirl, I think you are just one singer in the choir on this one!

Not an Oregonian, but when I'm not having an asthma episode, I'm a strong second soprano/alto :singing: I'd be happy to lead that choir and sing Kyron's praises for those who need to hear :)

It scares me that only four people are going through thousands of pages of records. I wish they'd assign more people to it to speed up the process. We could certainly help. :)

A lead investigator, two detectives and an investigative technician are assigned to examine all these records.

There's a point of balance between numbers of eyes and evaluating collected information.

Too few eyes going over too many records and the investigation will take forever.

Too many eyes going over too many records runs a very real risk of missing developing patterns and the investigation will take forever.

There's a point of balance between numbers of eyes and evaluating collected information.

Too few eyes going over too many records and the investigation will take forever.

Too many eyes going over too many records runs a very real risk of missing developing patterns and the investigation will take forever.

I agree. I wish they'd assign some more people to this. I don't feel three is enough to process the records at a reasonable rate of speed. A child is missing.

I agree. I wish they'd assign some more people to this. I don't feel three is enough to process the records at a reasonable rate of speed. A child is missing.

I do too, BeanE.

In the recent Somer Thompson case, Team Somer had 15 detectives working on the case.

Why so few on Kyron's case?

That's why it might take some investigator to see something that doesn't match or seems really trivial that will lead him to a Gestalt Moment. In cold cases that happens all the time when they go back to the beginning and start with the scene of the crime all over again. That is what I am counting on happening in that 'War Room, with all the photos and maps on the wall.

I do believe this case will be solved.

I am not a citizen there in Oregon but after reading this, I would be asking the Governor what does it mean when they say it is now a "criminal investigation"? this is rediculous and needs some answers of why they would say this is the public forum?

Dangit, I was hoping for hope, not depression. This really sucks. I've been harping on the fact that I think they have something, but to ask for this amount of money and still so much to go through...I'm starting to think they don't have anything nailed down. Very frustrating.

And I am so far away from Oregon, but I'd love to help. I wish there was a way we could get Tricia to volunteer us or something. I know, it might give the defense more latitude on chain of custody and bias, but I just HATE sitting here, unable to do anything, wanting to do something SO BAD.

*sigh* such depressing news...I guess this really is one of those long haul cases now...God, if you could show someone the way like you did Kronk, please, send an angel to find our Kyron no matter what condition he's in...

That's why it might take some investigator to see something that doesn't match or seems really trivial that will lead him to a Gestalt Moment. In cold cases that happens all the time when they go back to the beginning and start with the scene of the crime all over again. That is what I am counting on happening in that 'War Room, with all the photos and maps on the wall.

I do believe this case will be solved.

You have more faith then I do. I'm afraid this will become another Susan Powell situation. They may know (or think they know) who did it but without a body it may never be proved.

I do too, BeanE.

In the recent Somer Thompson case, Team Somer had 15 detectives working on the case.

Why so few on Kyron's case?

On July 2nd Sheriff Staton said they had 20 detectives working "24-7" on Kyron's case. That included investigators from agencies other than the MCSO.

On July 2nd Sheriff Staton said they had 20 detectives working "24-7" on Kyron's case. That included investigators from agencies other than the MCSO.

And yet going on 7 weeks after Kyron was last seen there isn't even a person of interest. Or even direct knowledge of whether or not a stranger took him.

In its request, the sheriff's office says it has generated more than 3,000 leads that have filled 38 four-inch binders, and subpoenaed 200 sets of records, each record generating from 10 to hundreds of pages of paper.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/post_32.html

BBM

I am struggle to understand something - maybe someone on the forum can help me out.

This is a middle to upper-middle class family - actually - 2 families.

Why on earth would 200 supboenaed records be required and what could they possibly be - from 10 to hundreds of pages?

I'm probably just not understanding something but ... what is going on with all this documentation required relative to a family of 4 adults and 4 children? Could phone records, internet activity, legal records, school records and - possibly medical records generate that many subpoenaed docs? Is each monthly bill a record perhaps?

What else is there? Is it more complicated than we might know, or does that sound about right? :waitasec:

Thx for that reminder, Chili.

The sheriff's office is requesting $242,609 to support the salary of a one-year investigative technician and to cover four months of overtime, from July through October.

In its request to the board, the sheriff's office says it has generated more than 3,000 leads that have filled 38 4-inch binders and has subpoenaed 200 sets of records, each record generating from 10 pages to hundreds of pages of paper records. Phone, e-mail, computer, financial and school records likely would be among the material subpoenaed, criminal justice experts say.

A lead investigator, two detectives and an investigative technician are assigned to examine all the records. The sheriff's office is asking for overtime funding for the four positions through October.

So it looks as if the request for this additional funding is for three investigators plus an investigative technician.

What I wonder is: has the MCSO scaled back on the footwork & are now concentrating solely on the examination of the records?

I also wonder if the 20 detectives (which included investigators from other agencies) have been reassigned to other cases, or are some of them still working this case?

And yet going on 7 weeks after Kyron was last seen there isn't even a person of interest. Or even direct knowledge of whether or not a stranger took him.

IMO - With that many records subpoenaed, you can bet there are persons of interest. Just ask the DA. ;)

We need Mark Fuhrman on the case! I'll bet he could come up with something!

I'm hoping we don't have a team here who is scared to make a move unless they have a pat hand!

BBM

I am struggle to understand something - maybe someone on the forum can help me out.

Why on earth would 200 supboenaed records be required and what could they possibly be - from 10 to hundreds of pages?

I'm probably just not understanding something but ... what is going on with all this documentation required relative to a family of 4 adults and 4 children? Could phone records, internet activity, legal records, school records and - possibly medical records generate that many subpoenaed docs? Is each monthly bill a record perhaps?

What else is there? Is it more complicated than we might know, or does that sound about right? :waitasec:

I work in a related field. Let me think about this and consult with someone and I'll get back to you. One thing--if they subpoenaed the case file from DHS (Oregon Department of Human Services, re: child endangerment/DUI in 2005), I would think that alone would have generated dozens of documents of varying length. Anyone work in human services who can confirm? I imagine this would include activity reports (i.e. who called who when about what), requests for investigation, investigation reports, phone logs, internal memos, etc., etc., etc.

BBM

Well, you have all the phone and internet and ATM and bank and credit card records from people like MC and the landscaper.

You have internet records and possibly phone and other records from people on the internet making threats against Terri.

You have phone, internet, etc records from teachers at the school, janitorial staff, various other school workers.

Probably some parents and other random people who were at the school that day.

It mounts up particularly because of the vast number of people at the school at the time Kyron went missing IMO.

IMO - With that many records subpoenaed, you can bet there are persons of interest. Just ask the DA. ;)

I totally agree. The "persons of interest" just aren't official yet because they need to get the ducks in a row with this evidence.

I'm thinking that some of the documents are text messages they got from phone companies.

And the way banks handle checks these days, they could have pages and pages of cancelled checks and debits plus credit bills from four adults (at least, maybe more adults) going back months and months - that's alot to plow through.

If this were my grandchild, I'd be out soliciting for funding - using legitimate methods of course. How can one put a price tag or establish monetary limits on solving a crime involving a child?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obamna
Back