The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 1st July - Trial Day 13, Week 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
what will danny start with , bet he some good stuff up his sleeve , how long before blubbering starts , I say after 3 questions

11:13am: Defence barrister Michael Byrne has turned his questioning to a claim made on Mrs Baden-Clay's life insurance the day after her body was found.

Mr Baden-Clay said his father told him he had "an obligation" to the insurance company to inform them of Allison's death.

Mr Baden-Clay said he followed his father's instructions, but never filled out any insurance claim forms.

The court has previously heard Mr Baden-Clay's father Nigel lodged the insurance claim.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-13-week-4-20140701-3b55i.html#ixzz36Ax4PAhy

Oh <modsnip>

hahahah good to know how you feel -thanks Marly - I think we will all be adding <modsnip> <modsnip> to our posts today!:tantrum: Jeepers ironing upstairs and downstairs and in front of the TV and calls he just can't remember.... what has happened to his memory. <modsnip:facepalm:> <modsnip:scared:>

Ger has had a few bad volleys by Nige... call a lawyer, call the insurance co...

sorta dropped him in the *advertiser censored* there, nige..

Oh dear a poor unfortunate friend of mine wanted to come over for coffeeeeee
eeeeeeek I Don't think soooooo
lol

what will danny start with , bet he some good stuff up his sleeve , how long before blubbering starts , I say after 3 questions

I predict blubbering, then attempted charm/mate-y-ness, then surly pouting, then barely repressed contempt/building rage.

A "you can't handle the truth!" tantrum would be nice too but just wishful thinking on my part

Ok I got my cold drink, my crackers did anybody find the community barff bucket?

Mr Boyle and Mr Fuller, on QLD taxes, have worked long and hard hours on this case.. it's taken them 2 1/4 years, with nothing but Alison's body, and not forgetting, it started with a skinny eyed Constable not buying a big rent in Gerards face as a shaving cut.. Basically, that's all the QPS had in the beginning.. an uneasy feeling by a young Constable..

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 11s

Gerard says his father said he had an obligation to inform the insurance company of her death. #badenclay

How did he know the body found was Allison? It hadn't been positively identified at that stage.

11:24am: Mr Byrne has finished questioning Mr Baden-Clay.

Mr Baden-Clay will be cross-examined by prosecutor Todd Fuller QC after a short morning tea break.

11:23am: Mr Byrne then turned his attention to the propositions of the prosecution.

"Now can I then go specifically to the evening of the 19th of April 2012. You told us about the discussions you had with Allison on that day and evening. Are you able to respond to this proposition - that at that time you were under financial pressure and significant relationship pressure," Mr Byrne said.

"That's not correct," Mr Baden-Clay replied.

"Why are those assumptions not correct?" Mr Byrne asked.

"Allison and I were working together very well on both our relationship and the business and financially the business was turning around and we were moving forward. Things were getting better," Mr Baden-Clay said.

"Can you respond to this proposition, at that time you wanted to leave your wife and be with Toni McHugh?" Mr Byrne asked.

"That's absolutely incorrect," Mr Baden-Clay replied.

"My intention was to end any relationship with Toni McHugh and solidify and continue to rebuild the relatoinship with Allison for our future together."

"And can I ask you to comment finally on this proposition that those two women - that is Allison and Toni - would come together again on the 20th of April 2012. Did you have concerns about that?" Mr Byrne asked.

"No," Mr Baden-Clay said.

"Why?" Mr Byrne said.

"I didn't have concerns about it. Allison was not a confrontational sort of poerson. They were at a corporate function. I didn't anticipate or have any concerns, it didn't enter my mind that it was going to be a conern that they were going to see each other there," Mr Baden-Clay said.

"That is the evidence of the witness your Honour," Mr Byrne said.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-13-week-4-20140701-3b55i.html#ixzz36Ayj4MPT

I suspect this text message he can't comment on is going to be relied on heavily for his defence and attempting to plant doubt ..and throw TM under the bus AGAIN.

Can't they just ask TM - I am sure she would remember!

Cup of tea for everyone, no saucers today :)

Lots-of-Cups-of-Tea.jpg

oh Marly! I wish I read the text first before the picture. I thought someone was having a Howard Hughes moment!!!

and this is the first time anyone in the QPS or the QLD Justice system has had to question Gerard in a situation where he has to answer.. he is on his own up there in the stand, and while Byrne et al can keep an eye on him, and they will, they are handicapped unless Mr Boyle , or Mr Fuller makes a legal error in an interrogatory question..

a good prosecutor never asks a question , like in the army, that he doesn't already know the answer to..

1.20am: Gerard Baden-Clay told the jury he returned home to the family&#8217;s property at Brookfield Rd to meet police.

The jury was taken to a phone call from the Baden-Clay home phone to his wife&#8217;s mobile phone at 8.48am.

He said police arrived at the home about 8am but he couldn&#8217;t remember the time exactly.

The jury saw phone calls from the Brookfield State School to Olivia Walton and a call from employee Kate Rankin to the accused telling him she would work from the office rather than attend the conference, in light of Allison Baden-Clay&#8217;s disappearance.

Baden-Clay said he called his friends Fiona and Stuart Christ to &#8220;put them on notice&#8221; his wife was missing as it might have changed their evening plans in terms of the children&#8217;s sleepovers.

He said he phoned his wife&#8217;s father Geoff Dickie at 9.51am.

The accused said he tried to call his friend Robert Cheesman and when he couldn&#8217;t get through, phoned his wife Katie; Peter Cranna and his wife&#8217;s best friend from school Kerry-Anne Walker.

He said he phoned the school principal to check on his daughters.

Baden-Clay said he lived at the rented property on Brookfield Rd for about five years.

The jury was shown a to-scale plan of the family home.

Baden-Clay agreed there was a bedroom, ensuite and walk-in robe at the front of the house, next to the family room and the entry stairwell at the front of the house.

He said his wife slept on the right side of the bed and he on the left.

The accused agreed there were three bedrooms on the right-hand side of the house, next to the front entry stairs leading up from the driveway.

He said his middle daughter slept in the room near to the backyard and the paved alfresco at the rear of the home, while his eldest daughter slept above the carport and the youngest nearest to the front door entry, also facing the road.

Baden-Clay said his eldest daughter slept on a raised bed and used steps to get in it.

He said his eldest and youngest daughter had windows in their bedrooms that overlooked the car port while each room was situated directly above the garage.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226972945594

The jury was shown an aerial map of the Brookfield area and the accused pointed to his home and the location of Brookfield Rd.

He showed the jury where his wife would usually walk in the mornings.

&#8220;The two main routes that she took were, one that I described as around the school &#8230; when Allison would do her walk around the school and she would either go clockwise or anti-clockwise, it would change, and she would go around that block,&#8221; he said.

Baden-Clay said his wife would go past the produce shop to Rafting Ground Rd, then connect with Boscombe Rd back past the school and home.

He said the second route went along Brookfield Rd, to the roundabout and Gold Creek Rd, all the way to the aged care home and back.

He said his sister looked for his wife along those routes on April 20, 2012.

Baden-Clay agreed he contacted a life insurance company on May 1, 2012 to determine how he could make a claim.

&#8220;The day before we had found Allison&#8217;s body and we knew it had been confirmed that it was her and Dad told me I really had an obligation to the insurers to let them know, that was why I made the call,&#8221; he said.

He said he did not fill out the claim form himself.

Baden-Clay agreed no payments were made on a Westpac credit card owned by the pair between January 24 and May 30, 2012. A minimum payment of $2426 was required.

&#8220;Allison and I made the determination that any excess funds of income that we had needed to be focused on the other debts and priorities in the business and that (card) for us was not the priority,&#8221; he said.

Baden-Clay said his relationship with his wife was good on the night of April 19, 2012.

He said he was not under financial pressure or significant relationship pressure that night.

&#8220;Allison and I were working together very well on both our relationship and the business, and financially the business was turning around and we were moving forward as we were getting better,&#8221; he said.

He said he had no plans to leave his marriage for Toni McHugh.

&#8220;That&#8217;s absolutely untrue,&#8221; he said.

&#8220;My intention was to end any relationship with Toni McHugh and solidify and continue to rebuild the relationship with Allison for our future together.&#8221;

Baden-Clay said he was not concerned Ms McHugh and his wife might meet at a real estate conference on April 20, 2012.

&#8220;No. I didn&#8217;t have concerns about it,&#8221; he said.

&#8220;Allison was not a confrontational sort of a person, they were at a corporate function and I didn&#8217;t anticipate or have any concerns, it didn&#8217;t enter my mind as to being a concern that they were going to see each other there.&#8221;

The accused finished his evidence-in-chief.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226972945594

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiestews06