Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Casshew said:
Editorial on this family from the San Francisco Chronical :eek:

Quote from the editorial:
"Note to Michelle Duggar: If God wanted you to have a massive pile of children, she'd have given your uterus a hydraulic pump and a revolving door. Stop it now."
LOL!!!!

Amraann said:
These people are mentally ill is all I can say.

There is no feasable way to properly raise this many children and give them each the attention they deserve.

Its disgusting and if they truly loved children they would focus on the ones they abundantly created and making them productive adults not focus on making more.

They aren't mentally ill just because they chose to do things differently then some of us. The truth be known their kids may turn out better then ours who have gotten a lot of attention. Look at a lot of the kids today....they expect to have the best of everything.....drive new cars....expect instant gratification, etc, etc. These kids will no doubt appreciate the things that they have and they will probably have to earn a lot of what they get. That never hurts kids in any way.

I think it is unfair to say "if they truly loved their children........" Why would you think that they don't love their children? There is no limit on love. It isn't measured so that each person can only receive a certain amount so if you have 2 kids you can give them more love then a person can give 16 kids. Love is limitless. It doesn't run out.

When my mom and dad were born parents had lots of kids. Most people did in that generation. I don't recall hearing that it emotionally crippled any of the kids. In fact, most of them grew up to be good solid citizens. Not having everything doesn't hurt kids and not having the attention of parents every time a kid wants it won't hurt them either in fact they probably learn from it.
JMO.

BillyGoatGruff said:
They're probably Pentecostals.
Old School Pentecostals are noticable because the women don't cut their hair and wear flat shoes and long, sack-like dresses. They also don't believe in using musical instruments in church--no piano,organ,e tc. All human voice.

I have been Pentecostal all of my life and nothing that you are describing is familiar to me. There is a branch of the Church Of God that doesn't believe in musical instruments but not the Pentecostals. I've also not known any women who don't cut their hair, wear flat shoes and above all wear sack-like dresses.

deandaniellws said:
They have been and are currently living in a 2400 sq. foot house. You do the math. That is way smaller that 4 living in 1000 feet.

I saw the family on a program recently and they are having a new home built. The new home will have 14 bathrooms. The home they have now has 2. The kids laughed at what they do to get to the bathroom first in the morning. They are looking forward to getting into their new home and will probably appreciate it much more then our children who have always had their own bedrooms and bathrooms. They probably appreciate a lot of things more then kids who expect them.

Bobbisangel said:
I have been Pentecostal all of my life and nothing that you are describing is familiar to me. There is a branch of the Church Of God that doesn't believe in musical instruments but not the Pentecostals. I've also not known any women who don't cut their hair, wear flat shoes and above all wear sack-like dresses.
You are right Bobbi - thanks for setting the record straight. I have been Pentecostal all of my life also, and as far as music goes - my church rocks!!!!!!!!!

Bobbisangel said:
They aren't mentally ill just because they chose to do things differently then some of us. The truth be known their kids may turn out better then ours who have gotten a lot of attention. Look at a lot of the kids today....they expect to have the best of everything.....drive new cars....expect instant gratification, etc, etc. These kids will no doubt appreciate the things that they have and they will probably have to earn a lot of what they get. That never hurts kids in any way.
Your post equates attention with getting "stuff" and being spoiled. When I refer to attention I mean sitting on mom's lap while she reads a book or helping with that tough report. I mean taking one out to dinner and sitting and talking about their friends and what they are intersted in. Giving your children attention has nothing to do with buying them things?

My father was one of 16! They had ONE outhouse. Every single one of them grew up learning how to fix stuff, build stuff and take care and appreciate what they did have. Every single one went onto be "successful" doctors, teaches, RN's, engineers, a professor. My dad and his brothers built the home I grew up in, it's awesome! My parents never had a mortgage & never owned a credit card.

Every single one of them could cook, clean, sew, build and fix darn near anything!

When my parents married they decided to only have one child. My father wanted to be able to GIVE me all the things he never had. As a result, I can cook and clean...big deal! I can't fix a thing, never learned how to sew, knit or crochet. I never learned how to be frugal and REALLY take care of things. I spend money like it's water.

It's a struggle for me now, I strive to instill many of the things I missed out on learning with my own son. It's hard. Just because we can afford it doesn't mean my son should receive it like I did. He has to earn it, and we are all learning.

If ya ask me, we can ALL learn many positive things from the Duggers.

If ya ask me, I lost out on the deal. I have always loved being an only child until very recently when my dad died. I do have a ton of aunts and uncles and cousins ... It would be nice now to have siblings like the Duggers. My husband has siblings, but like so many other families today, they can't stand each other most of the time.

JBean said:
Your post equates attention with getting "stuff" and being spoiled. When I refer to attention I mean sitting on mom's lap while she reads a book or helping with that tough report. I mean taking one out to dinner and sitting and talking about their friends and what they are interested in. Giving your children attention has nothing to do with buying them things?
Their mother spends all day everyday with them. I am sure they each get an abundance of attention. They have no tv, no computer. They talk...ALOT!

I have a very close friend with 12 children ( adopted & biological all under age 10. She also homeschools. Her children aren't emotionally starved, hyper or needy for attention. They are bright, well mannered, funny and a joy to be around. They each have their own interests ( the ones old enough) Two of the boys love BMX racing, one girl takes guitar lessons and loves learning how to sew, 1 plays little league and another is very into martial arts. Their mother makes it to every event ( so does dad when his job allows) with the others in tow. They all get plenty of one on one time with mom & dad. They are a wonderful family.

I don't know if it's been posted, but the mother is going to be on The View shortly.....on ABC.

I wonder what the boys do. It seems like the teenage daughters are responsible for the big chores. I'm interested in hearing from these kids 10 years from now.

Olivia77 said:
I wonder what the boys do. It seems like the teenage daughters are responsible for the big chores. I'm interested in hearing from these kids 10 years from now.
Ummmmm the boys are very involved in building the new house.

Linda7NJ said:
Ummmmm the boys are very involved in building the new house.
I didn't know about a new house. I'm not 100% up to date on this family, just read things here and there.

Sassygerl said:
I don't know if it's been posted, but the mother is going to be on The View shortly.....on ABC.
Darn, I missed that! What did she say?

GreekSong said:
Darn, I missed that! What did she say?

They seemed very happy and I must say the children were all very well behaved!!!! They showed video of the boys helping with the house. The two daughters who are (I think) 13 and 14 were there for the delivery of #16. When asked one of them said she'd like to have that many children too!!!! It must work for them, even though I can't even begin to imagine that many children!

Bobbisangel said:
There is a brand of Pentecostal in rural Arkansas (where they are from) that do.
I went to school with quite a few of them. I forget exactly what they call themselves, but they identified themselves as being associated with (or schismed from) Pentecostals. They are very Old School. You can find them in the Ozarks and the low-lying bayou country.

Bobbisangel said:
I saw the family on a program recently and they are having a new home built. The new home will have 14 bathrooms. The home they have now has 2. The kids laughed at what they do to get to the bathroom first in the morning. They are looking forward to getting into their new home and will probably appreciate it much more then our children who have always had their own bedrooms and bathrooms. They probably appreciate a lot of things more then kids who expect them.
My children have always had their own "everything". They turned out just fine. In fact, my boys are national merit honor students. Having to share the freaking air in close quarters does not make a child more appreciative of anything. They have too many children. PEROID.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymousangel444
Back