The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Finally, the Taliban are on The Receiving End

"At least five missiles were said to have landed near the Kabul power plant which shows that the objective of the strike was to throw the capital city into darkness by disrupting the power and electricity supply.

London: As missiles came raining down on Kabul during the early afternoon of September 16, it sent a disturbing message across the world that not all jihadis are on the same page when it comes to establishing an Islamic Emirate in Afghanistan."

On the same link :
"On the other hand, doubts have risen about the capability of the Taliban to consolidate its rule over Afghanistan. The fighters in the north in Panjshir, led by Ahmad Massoud and former First Vice President Amrullah Saleh, refuse to budge and continue to put up a fierce resistance despite the alleged military assistance provided to the Taliban by neighbouring Pakistan."

Just came in >>The historical fortress Greshk is destroyed by Taliban:
Taliban Claims Destruction of Historic Fortress Was ‘Misunderstanding’

Last edited:
2nd Dutch minister quits over handling of Kabul evacuations
''THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch defense minister quit Friday, a day after parliament passed a motion of censure against her for her handling of chaotic evacuations from Kabul of translators who worked for Dutch forces in Afghanistan.

Ank Bijleveld is the second minister in the Netherlands’ caretaker coalition government to resign over the evacuations, following the foreign minister, Sigrid Kaag.''

"At least five missiles were said to have landed near the Kabul power plant which shows that the objective of the strike was to throw the capital city into darkness by disrupting the power and electricity supply.

London: As missiles came raining down on Kabul during the early afternoon of September 16, it sent a disturbing message across the world that not all jihadis are on the same page when it comes to establishing an Islamic Emirate in Afghanistan."

Who launched the missiles?

Last edited:
@LucasFoxNews
·
Gen. McKenzie, head of U.S. Central Command, to announce no ISIS-K fighters killed in U.S. drone strike in Kabul Aug 29. 10 civilians killed, including 7 children in Toyota. No disciplinary action expected, officials say. US military stands by intel leading to strike.

@KellyO

"I offer my profound condolences ...it was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology" Pentagon briefing from Gen. McKenzie who says as many as ten civilians including a number children were killed by US strike Aug 26 and that strike did NOT hit an ISISK target.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/17/us-...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1631905921

Last edited:
September 17, 2021 4:56PM EDT
Pentagon reverses itself, calls deadly Kabul drone strike an error
''WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon retreated from its defense of a drone strike that killed multiple civilians in Afghanistan last month, announcing Friday that a review revealed that only civilians were killed in the attack, not an Islamic State extremist as first believed.

“The strike was a tragic mistake,” Marine Gen. Frank McKenzie, head of U.S. Central Command, told a Pentagon news conference.

McKenzie apologized for the error and said the United States is considering making reparation payments to the family of the victims. He said the decision to strike a white Toyota Corolla sedan, after having tracked it for about eight hours, was made in an “earnest belief” - based on a standard of “reasonable certainty” - that it posed an imminent threat to American forces at Kabul airport. The car was believed to have been carrying explosives in its trunk, he said.''

@ringbearer

Someone after my own heart! I have my B.A. and M.A. in English, and I taught English for 25 years.

The documentary does sound intriguing. I have a teenaged granddaughter, but no Hulu. My sister is in Jersey and does have Hulu, so I’ll catch up with it there.

Staying on topic, I think it’s tremendously important for younger people to understand 9/11, because without that knowledge the loss of Afghanistan might not be as impactful. They may not realize how intertwined 9/11 is with past events there, such as when the U.S. inadvertently helped Bin Laden to become what he was, as we armed him and Al-Qaeda against the Soviet Union.

What is indelible to us is just history to those who were born after September 11th. As my career continued I began having students who were born after it, and every year on or as near to 9/11 as possible, I showed a documentary. I had to do it sneakily since after Common Core, we weren’t permitted to deviate from the curriculum.

I’m certain that our military and those of our allies are going to be suffering now from PTSD, survivor’s guilt, depression and a sense of loss due to how the evacuation played out. Praying that they all will have the strength to thrive.

I don't think the US inadvertently helped Bin Laden, I think the US created Bin Laden and many more like him to come which culminated in the Taliban. US interference in Afghanistan started in the 1950s which coincided with the Cold War with Russia. When Afghanistan got a little too cozy with the Russians the US started funding resistance groups. You know that saying better Dead than Red? It could just as easily be translated into better Mujahedeen than Red. Afghanistan and the Middle East have always suffered the proxy wars between the US and Russia.

Sept 15, 2021
''A video showing Taliban flogging a woman in Afghanistan is being widely shared on social media. Such incidents have appeared in Afghanistan ever since Taliban took over the country''.
Taliban hit soundtrack? imo.

The peace agreement rattled

With that, the Americans lost the opportunity to involve the terror group in finding a political solution. Instead, an attempt was made with the allies, including the Netherlands, to model the country as they saw fit.

The political process has only begun under Trump in the past two years. But the peace agreement rattled on all sides. In fact, it was little more than an American marching route to the exit.

Meanwhile, with the support of Pakistani intelligence, the Taliban only grew stronger and increasingly lost the will to make a real deal. Their commitment to agree to a future government that would be supported by the majority of the population failed to materialise.

No disorganized gang of religion fanatics
I can understand the Taliban leaders. Why would you agree to a party that wants to leave as soon as possible and release five thousand imprisoned fellow combatants as a gift for your goodwill? I too would lay low until the Americans left and then take power.

After they leave, you know that you have little to fear from the Afghan army and other security forces that can only act by the grace of the Americans. Without the American backbone of intelligence, air support, command and logistics, the entire security apparatus was worth little. Without that American stuff, you better go home as a soldier or join the victor. That's exactly what happened."

https://www.trouw.nl/opinie/de-taliban-hebben-als-koele-rekenmeesters-amerika-schaakmat-gezet~bf2dc7f5/?utm_source=link&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=shared content&utm_content=free

that sums it up,imo
In the meantime,Russia had it largest Russian military exercise:

The south of Europe fears refugees and terrorists. The East is afraid of the Russians. And the west of Europe fears nothing and is mainly concerned with itself. So there is little interest in the Netherlands for Zapad 21, the largest Russian exercise ever. According to observers, 200,000 soldiers may have participated in this exercise, which was ended on Thursday. Exactly how many there are is unclear. That is because the Russians say little and hardly allow observers. That was once different..."

Grootste Russische militaire oefening ooit laat ons koud, helaas

New Brunswick police investigate disappearance of Madison Roy-Boudreau as a homicide
''Separately, three explosions targeted Taliban vehicles in the eastern provincial capital of Jalalabad on Saturday, killing three people and wounding 20, witnesses said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Islamic State group's militants, headquartered in the area, are enemies of the Taliban.

The Taliban are facing major economic and security problems as they attempt to govern, and a growing challenge by IS militants would further stretch their resources.''

''In Kabul, a new sign was up outside the women's affairs ministry, announcing it was now the “Ministry for Preaching and Guidance and the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice.”

''A Qatar Airways flight on Friday took more Americans out of Afghanistan, the third such airlift by the Mideast carrier since the Taliban takeover and the frantic U.S. troop pullout from the country last month. The State Department said Saturday that there were 28 U.S. citizens and seven permanent residents on board the flight from Kabul, and thanked Qatari authorities for their help.''

Armed Taliban fighters ride PEDALOS on lake in Afghanistan national park | Daily Mail Online

Armed Taliban fighters ride PEDALOS on lake in Afghanistan national park as protests take place across country over ban on girls returning to schools with boys refusing to attend classes in solidarity
  • Images appear to show militants riding swan-themed vessels on the water at Band-e Amir National Par
  • Afghanistan's new Taliban rulers are now facing protests over the treatment of women and girls
  • They had excluded girls from returning to secondary school in but ordered boys back to the classroom
  • Boys are refusing to attend class in solidarity as Taliban bring back repressive rule of 1990s predecessors

Relatives of Afghan family killed by US drone strike want compensation and resettlement in US | Daily Mail Online

Relatives of the Afghan family killed by the US drone strike that took the lives of an innocent aid worker and nine other people, including seven children, say they want compensation, and resettlement in the US or another safe country.

Zemari Ahmadi, 43, died in the blast and was his family's only breadwinner. He worked for the US-based aid group Nutrition and Education International, and U.S. officials acknowledge he did not appear to be connected to ISIS-K terrorists. His fatal mistake, it appeared, was driving a white 1996 Toyota Corolla similar to one intelligence sources claimed was being driven by a known terrorist.

Ahmadi's 24-year-old stepson Samim Ahmadi told The Washington Post that 'the situation in Afghanistan is not good'. He added: 'Whether in America or another country, we want peace and comfort for our remaining years.

'Everyone makes mistakes. The Americans cannot bring back our loved ones, but they can take us out of here.'

New Brunswick police investigate disappearance of Madison Roy-Boudreau as a homicide
''Separately, three explosions targeted Taliban vehicles in the eastern provincial capital of Jalalabad on Saturday, killing three people and wounding 20, witnesses said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Islamic State group's militants, headquartered in the area, are enemies of the Taliban.

The Taliban are facing major economic and security problems as they attempt to govern, and a growing challenge by IS militants would further stretch their resources.''

''In Kabul, a new sign was up outside the women's affairs ministry, announcing it was now the “Ministry for Preaching and Guidance and the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice.”

''A Qatar Airways flight on Friday took more Americans out of Afghanistan, the third such airlift by the Mideast carrier since the Taliban takeover and the frantic U.S. troop pullout from the country last month. The State Department said Saturday that there were 28 U.S. citizens and seven permanent residents on board the flight from Kabul, and thanked Qatari authorities for their help.''
Oops, wrong link for article ^..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/afghanistan-taliban-women-ministry-replaced-1.6181138

Armed Taliban fighters ride PEDALOS on lake in Afghanistan national park | Daily Mail Online
48100437-10006039-Taliban_fighters_have_been_pictured_brandishing_RPGs_and_assault-a-31_1632047633108.jpg

Militants are seen riding swan-themed pedalos on the water at Band-e Amir National Park - once a hotspot for international travellers and domestic tourists - in central Afghanistan in the images uploaded by journalist and filmmaker Jake Hanrahan

''Afghan women and children sit in front of a bakery waiting for bread donations in Kabul’s Old City.''
Hindustan Times

Last edited:
Taliban hang body in public; signal return to past tactics
''KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The Taliban hanged a dead body from a crane parked in a city square in Afghanistan on Saturday in a gruesome display that signaled the hard-line movement’s return to some of its brutal tactics of the past.

Taliban officials initially brought four bodies to the central square in the western city of Herat, then moved three of them to other parts of the city for public display, said Wazir Ahmad Seddiqi, who runs a pharmacy on the edge of the square.

Taliban officials announced that the four were caught taking part in a kidnapping earlier Saturday and were killed by police, Seddiqi said. Ziaulhaq Jalali, a Taliban-appointed district police chief in Herat, said later that Taliban members rescued a father and son who had been abducted by four kidnappers after an exchange of gunfire. He said a Taliban fighter and a civilian were wounded by the kidnappers, and that the kidnappers were killed in crossfire.

An Associated Press video showed crowds gathering around the crane and peering up at the body as some men chanted.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datalord
Back