The Grand Jury & Trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they would wait until June! Imagine jurors walking out of court and plopping down in their HOT cars!!! Slam dunk.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I think April will be warm enough for the impact to be there. I bet the defense is wishing they could hire a valet for the jurors so they can get in to cars with the a/c already on at the end of every day.

Like a juror bus? It would NOT surprise me at at all. I Wonder... Will they be sequestered?
My bet is YES!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

5) Evidence of Harris' state of mind and interest in topics concerning death in the months, weeks, and days leading to Cooper's death is admissible.

6) Evidence of Harris' state of mind regarding his family's financial status and employment situation is admissible.

And yet the life insurance policies he purchased on Cooper are inadmissable?? Hmm.

I'm not sure the life insurance was the primary motive. The jury will have seen the Gerber Life commercials and might not think it's very strange or telling that there was insurance. They will probably be more interested in the internet searches.

The judge ruled:

1) Evidence of Harris' marital and family relationship and disharmony within those relationships is admissible.

2) Evidence of Harris' alleged infidelity is admissible

3) Evidence that Harris researched weather and the effects of heat on objects left in vehicles and out in the sun is admissible

4) Evidence of Harris' state of mind regarding his child, and children in general, and "living a lifestyle free of the responsibilities of children" is admissible.

5) Evidence of Harris' state of mind and interest in topics concerning death in the months, weeks, and days leading to Cooper's death is admissible.

6) Evidence of Harris' state of mind regarding his family's financial status and employment situation is admissible.

7) Evidence of Harris' knowledge, research and interest in law enforcement, criminal law and the prison system is admissible.

8) Information concerning a life insurance policy can not be presented until the state during the trial that they have a connection between the life insurance evidence and charges in the indictment.

Jury selection is set to begin April 11.

And yet the life insurance policies he purchased on Cooper are inadmissable?? Hmm.

Yes -- I was about to post the same thing -- last info I saw was that it was "tentatively inadmissable." Could it be another motive for the death of his sweet son? It seems a bit arbitrary to me, but IANAL.

I don't even believe that the insurance policies were the primary motivator, I think he just wanted to make sure that he could start his new, child-free life without funeral debt.

It's interesting how the podcast is trying to make the case into more of a mystery than it actually is. I feel like there are a lot of other cases out there, where someone is sitting in jail, where you could make a lot of arguments that he or she might be innocent. I understand the trial is in Atlanta so I know why they chose the case but...I honestly don't see people debating whether Ross killed Cooper on purpose after the bond hearing. It's definitely not a coincidence that AJC is covering the case a couple of weeks before the trial...probably trying to do a making a murderer thing to get people hyped up for the trial.

Mods, can we have a new thread for discussion of the AJC Breakdown podcast? It seems like it's going to cover many aspects of the case so it will be hard to have podcast chatter if we're trying to spread it out on the appropriate threads.

Thank you!

Mods, can we have a new thread to discuss the AJC Breakdown podcast? It seems like it would be easier to have podcast chatter in one thread rather than trying to discuss topics in each individual thread, since the podcast is going to cover all the aspects of the case.

Thank you!

I used to think it was a lot, too. Then someone explained to me that parents of deceased children often want to take leave from work after the deatH of their child. Add in the potential of having to pay medical bills, counseling for surviving children and who knows what else we don't think of when we haven't been there ourselves and it seems more reasonable.

Unless the dad bought the policies right before Cooper died I don't think it is super relevant.

I can't believe the trial for this case is almost upon us. I've been thinking more about the beginning media coverage of this case. I remember when the case first hit the news. The story was that a father was being charged with murder for leaving his son in a hot car. I remember there were so many online comments defending him and people who claimed to know Ross and Leanna were all over social media. Then we had the bond hearing (which was shown on like 3 different national networks...extremely unusual for a bond hearing, how often is it that the media has 3+ hours of free airtime?) where all this information comes out about the sexting, cheating, childfree life. Does anyone else think that the prosecution/state pulled all the stops to make sure that all that info would be widely publicized? It's just interesting how there was such a spectacle made out of the bond hearing and then after that it's been very low key. I feel like the family was ready to wage a PR battle with the police but after all the info came out, they realized that they had no chance. Or maybe the family and friends didn't know about the other info until after the bond hearing either. I definitely think the bond hearing was a way to shut up all the defenders and it worked.

Mods, can we have a new thread for discussion of the AJC Breakdown podcast? It seems like it's going to cover many aspects of the case so it will be hard to have podcast chatter if we're trying to spread it out on the appropriate threads.

Thank you!

Has the podcast already started? As in covering pre-trial discussion?

Yes, we can have a dedicated "trial thread" but I don't want to open it until there is something to discuss. lol

Just let me know and I will be happy to open a Trial Discussion thread.

Has the podcast already started? As in covering pre-trial discussion?

Yes, we can have a dedicated "trial thread" but I don't want to open it until there is something to discuss. lol

Just let me know and I will be happy to open a Trial Discussion thread.

Yes! The first episode was March 26 and the 2nd episode was released Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member