The HW or WH belt evidence at gilgonews

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nice catch on the image file name !

I always thought the letters were HM, based on the fact that every Asian style font I've looked at had the " h " crossed near the top. I even went through every missing female report I could find to see if there was anyone missing with the intials HW. I found a few, but they didn't seem to fit. But it just now occurred to me that I only looked up females. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have also looked up males, because we do have an Asian male victim.

(Shakes head ) I dunno...seems like such a long shot.
It has been said its Heather Malone. Her ex- husband Guy malone has tied her to Burke. There is an interview floating around. Info is right in this very thread.

Last edited:
@FullMinder - nice foresight to check the file names on these images.

I can't come up with any legitimate reason as to why the photos were not released with the initial close up of the initials.

Does SCPD believe that they could've compromised the integrity of the investigation? That's their spiel as to why they can't make the 911 tapes public and seems to be their M.O.

I have to agree with the contingent of folks regarding this as a PR stunt. While interesting to see the scale of the letters to the belt, as well as the finish on it, It doesn't seem the photos released today will further the investigation and if they do, it puts extra emphasis on the question of "Why were those photos not included with the close ups?"

Initially I had faith in Hart and understand the case is complicated and if anyone needed to drain a swamp, as the current president would put it, it would be her. That being said, there is something about this that feels more like theatre than anything else.

Last edited:
The new belt images have been posted on Articles Recovered at Scene

I definitely think the correct orientation is HM now.

Both image file names have the word "Barnes" in it. Maybe it was found on MBB.
"beltpicBarnesblack2noglove"
"beltpicBarnesbrown1"

I'm either missing something OR the file names were changed after these images were published.

When I download each file OR open up just the image in a new window the files names read

"beltpic1"
"beltpic2"

The file names you referenced put the images in context, more so then the current names.

What significance does "no glove" have? Why omit "glove"? Is it possible a glove was recovered as well?

"Barnes" is about as straight forward as it gets and there isn't much room for interpretation here. They aren't talking about Barnes & Noble

The new belt images have been posted on Articles Recovered at Scene

I definitely think the correct orientation is HM now.

Both image file names have the word "Barnes" in it. Maybe it was found on MBB.
"beltpicBarnesblack2noglove"
"beltpicBarnesbrown1"
As Eagleye mentioned, all I get is the same: beltpic1 and beltpic2, how did you get what you claim? Maybe they changed it?

As Eagleye mentioned, all I get is the same: beltpic1 and beltpic2, how did you get what you claim? Maybe they changed it?

I believe @FullMinder inspected the HTML.

I just checked it out and this what I see

Image underneath HM:

<input type="image" name="ctl00$MainContent$imgBlack2NoGlove" id="MainContent_imgBlack2NoGlove" src="./images/Articles/beltpic1.png" style="height:120px;width:150px;">​

Image underneath WH:

<input type="image" name="ctl00$MainContent$imgBrown1" id="MainContent_imgBrown1" src="./images/Articles/beltpic2.png" style="height:120px;width:150px;">
I don't see the word "Barnes" referenced in any of the markup, however, the naming convention @FullMinder referenced is spot on, with the exception of the "Barnes" omission.

I believe @FullMinder inspected the HTML.

I just checked it out and this what I see

Image underneath HM:

<input type="image" name="ctl00$MainContent$imgBlack2NoGlove" id="MainContent_imgBlack2NoGlove" src="./images/Articles/beltpic1.png" style="height:120px;width:150px;">​

Image underneath WH:

<input type="image" name="ctl00$MainContent$imgBrown1" id="MainContent_imgBrown1" src="./images/Articles/beltpic2.png" style="height:120px;width:150px;">
I don't see the word "Barnes" referenced in any of the markup, however, the naming convention @FullMinder referenced is spot on, with the exception of the "Barnes" omission.
Okay interesting, thank you.

Okay interesting, thank you.

Worth noting , the naming convention is on the id for the image, the file names themselves are beltpic1.png & beltpic2.png. However, since the rest is right in line with what @FullMinder said, it leads me to believe that Barnes was in fact visible at some point today.

The website looks like it is constructed on a content management system like WordPress (it's not WordPress though) and most of them will auto-generate id's based on the file name, in some cases that id remains the same, even after the file name has been changed. Not an expert by any means, so if anyone has web experience and cares to share some knowledge, by all means do.

Assuming @FullMinder is telling it how it is, the Belt was likely recovered from the scene of Maureen Brainard Barnes body. Now, assuming she was dumped there shortly after her disappearance, it puts that belt in the elements of Ocean Parkway for 41 months before being discovered and marked as evidence.

NOW I am seriously creeped out. that belt gives me the shivers and makes me sick to my stomach. Ty for posting though.

Seriously, why would they wait so long to post that and why be so vague about the first photo, which gives a very different impression of what the piece of evidence truly looks like? Honestly, doesn't inspire much belief that this new investigation team has much.

It has been said its Heather Malone. Her ex- husband Guy malone has tied her to Burke. There is an interview floating around. Info is right in this very thread.
I am going with the Barnes image file name and they messed up when uploading the name initially and then fixed it. Does this mean they found other pieces of evidence on other bodies? A glove too with MBB? I do think this belt could be helpful if someone out there sees it. They need to spend money on getting the word out wider than their crappy little website.

I am going with the Barnes image file name and they messed up when uploading the name initially and then fixed it. Does this mean they found other pieces of evidence on other bodies? A glove too with MBB? I do think this belt could be helpful if someone out there sees it. They need to spend money on getting the word out wider than their crappy little website.

Im going to go out on a whim and say the glove is one of the next pieces of evidence SCPD plans on releasing in the new year, as Hart stated they would.

The pictures are not good enough to show scale etc. When you stamp metal, you see the opposite on the other side so I don’t think the silver side is another set of initials but rather a mirror image of the brownish side. The silver side has the pins that either hold the belt or go into the holes ( a two holed belt maybe it was hard to see, but the one pin was off center or one of two?). It is either damaged or poor quality metal. Wish we could see hallmarks or the entire thing... I suspect that is why it was cut off.

With regard to what the police described as embossed...
Tandy Corp had a leather kit to carve, tool and stamp designs into leather. It would have been simple to transfer the letters on to a new leather belt blank and use a swivel knife to outline/cut it into the leather and then bevel the cut outline with a bevel tool. This would have had to be done to the smooth side of the leather. I don't see how this could be done to the rougher back side of a belt blank. I know there are color leather dyes but I don't know how white would be achieved.
Jewelers make stamps all the time, using tool steel, nails, chisels etc... not knowing the scale of the letters exactly, but it is not impossible to make a stamp.

In the properties it has the origin date of the two new photo's as 2-10-2011 which was before the last six sets were found so that lends credence to the original file name.
Hi I'm new to this thread so sorry in advance if I ask some obvious questions
Does this mean they found the belt before the discovery of GB4 ? If so is that now a crucial piece of information?

Hi I'm new to this thread so sorry in advance if I ask some obvious questions
Does this mean they found the belt before the discovery of GB4 ? If so is that now a crucial piece of information?
I am in the middle of watching "The Killing Season" for the 3rd time. In one of the episodes Websleuther "Brendt" did say that if the first murder (I'm referring to the GB4) was looked at more closely, the possibility of finding answers is more likely due to it being his first killing hence more likely for him to have made mistakes. In this case, and if it were true that the belt came from MBB's crime site, it would somewhat ring true. All speculation of course.

@eagleyeseymour

Looks like SCPD changed it sometime after I posted here. I thought that using Barnes was intentional (or possibly irrelevant) but definitely had not considered it was a sloppy mistake.

I didn’t do anything special with html or anything. I simply opened each image in a new tab where the info I copy/pasted above was in the url and then I downloaded the images to my computer, keeping their given filenames.
The full filenames are:
"belt pic Barnes 10-658464 ME10-4485 brown1.jpg"
"belt pic Barnes 10-658464 ME10-4485 black2noglove.jpg"

I didn’t pay attention to the numbers originally but maybe ME10-....is the medical examiner’s case number? Don’t know what the other number is.

Anyway, I can't be the only person who saw it.

@eagleyeseymour

Looks like SCPD changed it sometime after I posted here. I thought that using Barnes was intentional (or possibly irrelevant) but definitely had not considered it was a sloppy mistake.

I didn’t do anything special with html or anything. I simply opened each image in a new tab where the info I copy/pasted above was in the url and then I downloaded the images to my computer, keeping their given filenames.
The full filenames are:
"belt pic Barnes 10-658464 ME10-4485 brown1.jpg"
"belt pic Barnes 10-658464 ME10-4485 black2noglove.jpg"

I didn’t pay attention to the numbers originally but maybe ME10-....is the medical examiner’s case number? Don’t know what the other number is.

Anyway, I can't be the only person who saw it.
I believe you and agree that they changed it, interesting all the same and a huge piece of info to work with :-)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Datsyuk
Back