The Jury Hangs - Justice Delayed

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this quote

"I just spoke to a DA from another county who is very familiar with Judge Stephens. His comment to me about Stephens letting Young out on bond was: "I have a better chance of getting Elvis to perform on the steps of the courthouse tomorrow morning than Jason Young has of getting a reasonable bond from Don Stephens."

I have no idea if he's right, but he seemed pretty certain about it."

:D

The state chose to totally ignore the gas usage and allow the defense to cast reasonable doubt on the time line...using their bogus numbers of a 3 hour drive and 19.5MPG.

Draw up a simple chart like this and explain it to the jury...makes perfect sense to me when you see it spelled out.
======================================================

The $15 only would cover about 7 gallons (+/- $2.20/ gal 2006)
He filled up in Raleigh when he left at 7:30PM and assume he got 20-22 MPG (say 21 MPG highway) which is what the internet says for "real life' MPG Highway.

Full = 22.5 gallons
Drive 170 miles frm Home-> Hillsville
Consume 8.1 gallons
Tank Volume = 14.4 gallons

Drive 170 miles from Hillsville -> Home
Consume 8.1 gallons
Tank Volume = 6.3 gallons

Drive 120 miles from Home to King
Consume = 5.7 gallons
Tank Volume = 0.6 gallons

Need to get tank volume back to 14.4 gallons when gets back to Hillsville

So, he purchased 7 gallons in King (was in big hurry, so didn't the the $20 he paid for) - Had 5 gallons in tank when he arrived back at hotel [used 2 gal from King to hotel) So, somewhere from Hillsville to Clintwood he had to purchase around 9-10 gallons with cash to make up the "lost fuel" and get the gas to match.

Sounds logical and very plausible to me.

Like I said, people online can get this figured out and throw it out there in a blink of eye. Prosecutors need to utilize the consensus of people online and see how it looks to people that don't have a case file in front of them. Defense attorneys do it, why don't Prosecutors? Everything here should be forwarded to the Prosecutors for the next trial.

I have believed that Jason was involved in his wife's murder since about 4-6 weeks after the murder, but always left room for the possibility that I am wrong or that there is additional information that I'm simply not aware of. I rely on trial evidence to move me one way or another. At this point, given the 8-4 not guilty jury split, I'm questioning whether I was wrong or whether the prosecution theory is incomplete. Some murders cannot be prosecuted because the evidence is weak or there's a hole or two somewhere in the theory. At this time, I'm inclined to think that there is a hole in the prosecution's theory.

When I first heard of this case, I immediately thought of the case of Christopher Porco (http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/family/christopher_porco/1_index.html). Jason's murder seems to follow that one, without the extra glitches that led to Porco's conviction.

Otto - Thanks for the link to the Porco "story." I was not familiar with it at all, but it was very interesting. And some similarities are there, as you said. But it also made me think that a lot of murder "stories" have similarity, especially when you have someone that knows the victim (as so many murderers do - and lie about it from the beginning), give the LEO's their version of what happened - Peterson, Porco, BC, Jeffrey MacDonald, Ann Miller Kontz, and on, and on. The more details they give, the tighter the knot with which they tie themselves. It's sticky like tar. If they're guilty, that is! And I guess, even sometimes when they're not. We just don't hear as much about them.

Not telling anyone anything ever, certainly looks bad and prompts people (LEOs and many others involved) to think the person is guilty. But it may pay off in the end. A toss-up and a gamble. Crime usually doesn't pay!
icon7.gif

Please explain the laptop cord that he "left" in the Explorer.

We saw the black computer case on his shoulder. His laptop cord would, logically, have been inside that bag, right?

Another missed point by the state...instead DS pounded on no cigar cutter

Good point -- I missed that one, JTF. This just gets worse and worse....
icon9.gif

The state chose to totally ignore the gas usage and allow the defense to cast reasonable doubt on the time line...using their bogus numbers of a 3 hour drive and 19.5MPG.

Draw up a simple chart like this and explain it to the jury...makes perfect sense to me when you see it spelled out.

He filled up in Raleigh when he left at 7:30PM and assume he got 20-22 MPG (say 21 MPG highway) which is what the internet says for "real life' MPG Highway.

Full = 22.5 gallons
Consume 8.1 gallons

Consume 8.1 gallons

Consume = 5.7 gallons

So, he purchased 7 gallons in King (was in big hurry, so didn't the the $20 he paid for) - Had 5 gallons in tank when he arrived back at hotel [used 2 gal from King to hotel) So, somewhere from Hillsville to Clintwood he had to purchase around 9-10 gallons with cash to make up the "lost fuel" and get the gas to match.

Excellent! And what you did there ain't exactly calculus, now is it?? What -- 5th grade math? Dayam. And they said it couldn't be done...

I'll say it again, JTF -- a picture is worth 1,000 words. Takes what? Ten minutes to show & tell a jury. Chit. :banghead:

Found this quote

"I just spoke to a DA from another county who is very familiar with Judge Stephens. His comment to me about Stephens letting Young out on bond was: "I have a better chance of getting Elvis to perform on the steps of the courthouse tomorrow morning than Jason Young has of getting a reasonable bond from Don Stephens."

I have no idea if he's right, but he seemed pretty certain about it."

:D

Sounds right to me. During the Taft investigation, when they arrested Williford, JS signed the arrest warrant, and wrote on it by hand below his signature, "No Bond Allowed."

Full = 22.5 gallons
Consume 8.1 gallons

Consume 8.1 gallons

Consume = 5.7 gallons

Remember the list composed, at the beginning of this thread, about who should prosecute? I'm wondering why JTF isn't at the top of it. You are passionately invested in this case, and its contagious. I wish I could nominate YOU to be the new BH. You are top notch, sir.

I'll third it. Thank you JTF for all you do in seeking Justice. Smart Prosecutors would actually pay attention to what "bloggers" or people "on the internet" are saying.

Does anyone think that BH and DS get mail about this case? If you even think there's a slight chance they'd read a letter, I'd be more than happy to compile the points discussed here and send them. No opinion (on personal "annoyance" or disappointment), just our flat out consensus about what points WE were expecting to see and didn't. I would even hand write it to add the human, personalized, touch. I wonder if they read this... I would hope they'd at least consider an honest opinion from a long distance follower. What do you all think? Is it even worth a shot?

No idea if they've ever gotten mail about this case but I have no doubt they would certainly read it if someone took the time to mail a letter. I would opt for something from a word processing program and printed on nice paper, rather than handwritten, which can be difficult to read.

Otto - Thanks for the link to the Porco "story." I was not familiar with it at all, but it was very interesting. And some similarities are there, as you said. But it also made me think that a lot of murder "stories" have similarity, especially when you have someone that knows the victim (as so many murderers do - and lie about it from the beginning), give the LEO's their version of what happened - Peterson, Porco, BC, Jeffrey MacDonald, Ann Miller Kontz, and on, and on. The more details they give, the tighter the knot with which they tie themselves. It's sticky like tar. If they're guilty, that is! And I guess, even sometimes when they're not. We just don't hear as much about them.

Not telling anyone anything ever, certainly looks bad and prompts people (LEOs and many others involved) to think the person is guilty. But it may pay off in the end. A toss-up and a gamble. Crime usually doesn't pay!
icon7.gif

Jason's lawyer gave him excellent advice. The objective in the first interviews is to pin the "witness", "suspect" down to a story. From there, if they are indeed a suspect, the point is to poke holes in their story. Jason did indeed make the efforts of the police much more difficult not only in terms to gathering base information about the victim, but also in terms of forcing the police to construct the evidence from nothing. The prosecution has a huge advantage now that they know Jason's story.

In a second trial, prosecutors have to drop all references to the fact that Jason wouldn't talk (that didn't help them at all) and perhaps even drop all references to when he got gas. It's better to say he must have picked up gas along the way without pinning it down to King and then saying they don't know what happened afterwards.

The Chris Porco story is shocking in terms of what Chris did to his parents, but he was as cunning as Jason in terms of staging an alibi miles away.

No idea if they've ever gotten mail about this case but I have no doubt they would certainly read it if someone took the time to mail a letter. I would opt for something from a word processing program and printed on nice paper, rather than handwritten, which can be difficult to read.

Good insight with the ability to read my writing, it can be disastrous at times. I thought maybe it would be more heartfelt and "real" if it was hand written, I want them to understand they have real people following that are counting on them to bring JLY to justice. I think you are right, and it will preserve the professionalism to type it. I am just heart broken imagining how LF and MF are feeling this week... :'(

First time poster here....been lurking for sometime.

As for JY being granted bond, as a member of his mountain community, I, along with many others, do not relish the thought of him returning here.

I know that there have been a few comments posted on this forum before and during this trial about "mountain folk" and their "clannish" behavior, although this was probably in response to some outlandish comments made by a few JY supporters. Please do not take the comments of a few people with agendas of their own as an indication of everyone who lives in this mountain community.

Having said that, I believe the number one thing that should be presented to the next jury forcefully is the fact that the shirt JY was wearing in the midnight video of the HI video was never recovered from his SUV or his suitcase. They need an expert to compare the shirt in the video to the shirt in CY's 3rd birthday party who will point out the significant differences in the two. An innocent man does not get rid of a shirt unless he has a nefarious reason for doing so. The prosecution did not elaborate on this enough, nor on cross examination did BH ask him where in the he!! that shirt was. I believe it could have made a huge difference.

Watching the Timothy Hennis case on the ID channel right now. So many murders, so similar in circumstantial evidence.

Do any WSers know whether or not the retired school teacher from Brevard, JG, aka Gojo and Jake, was present during the trial? I looked during the trial to see if I could see someone who might be him, but no one stood out to me.

I looked from the viewpoint of watching the trial from home, as I was not present during any testimony.

Good insight with the ability to read my writing, it can be disastrous at times. I thought maybe it would be more heartfelt and "real" if it was hand written, I want them to understand they have real people following that are counting on them to bring JLY to justice. I think you are right, and it will preserve the professionalism to type it. I am just heart broken imagining how LF and MF are feeling this week... :'(

You might include a short, handwritten note along with the "formal" one. Perhaps state that you (we) are behind the DA's office 100% and feel strongly that justice will only be served when JY is convicted....etc.

I like your idea - thanks.

First time poster here....been lurking for sometime.

As for JY being granted bond, as a member of his mountain community, I, along with many others, do not relish the thought of him returning here.

I know that there have been a few comments posted on this forum before and during this trial about "mountain folk" and their "clannish" behavior, although this was probably in response to some outlandish comments made by a few JY supporters. Please do not take the comments of a few people with agendas of their own as an indication of everyone who lives in this mountain community.

Having said that, I believe the number one thing that should be presented to the next jury forcefully is the fact that the shirt JY was wearing in the midnight video of the HI video was never recovered from his SUV or his suitcase. They need an expert to compare the shirt in the video to the shirt in CY's 3rd birthday party who will point out the significant differences in the two. An innocent man does not get rid of a shirt unless he has a nefarious reason for doing so. The prosecution did not elaborate on this enough, nor on cross examination did BH ask him where in the he!! that shirt was. I believe it could have made a huge difference.

:Welcome1: tarheel8600!!

Glad to have you aboard. Glad you have jumped in with us -- so just hang on and keep your thoughts coming. Your "mountain" perspective will be a great addition to the bunch!:greetings:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member