The Key: Planted or Not? Impact?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just want to add.... we are all here with our own experiences in life.... I get it, what makes sense to some, doesn't make sense to others. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of "personal" history on either SA or TH or some other key people in this case so we draw on our own experiences to figure out what makes sense to us IMO

Not sure, but the RAV4 key was found in the trailer on 11/8 by Lenk. The RAV4 was found on 11/5. LE had 3 days to check all of the other keys present @ Avery Salvage to see if one of them fit the RAV4. Did they check any of them ? Never saw a report on this ...

Also ... if SA is the one who moved TH's car to the back of the salvage lot, he had 3+ days to dispose of the vehicle until LE came looking at Avery Salvage. Car was found on the 11/5 - why didn't SA crush the car or move it off property under the cover of darkness ?

BBM....I know, I know. Cause he didnt put the car back there. Someone else moved it on to the property under the cover of darkness. and placed the bone fragments over the bench. Wasn't till morning they realized the bench and tire belts were not even in the pit. OOps better not call any coroner or grid person in so they cant say where they found the bones exactly.

JMO

I wonder how many protocols they deviated from to prosecute SA?

My line of thinking is that no one who lives at the Avery salvage yards DNA or prints should be anywhere on that lanyard. The piece found in the console of the car. If SA's are then I believe he was responsible for the crime. If it turns out the police prints or DNA are on it then there's a stronger case for evidence planting and tampering.

My line of thinking is that no one who lives at the Avery salvage yards DNA or prints should be anywhere on that lanyard. The piece found in the console of the car. If SA's are then I believe he was responsible for the crime. If it turns out the police prints or DNA are on it then there's a stronger case for evidence planting and tampering.

Or if there is just hers on that lanyard. Cause I am pretty sure the cops were in plenty of supply of evidence gloves they used to plant the evidence. They sure didn't want to be caught planting it.

Or if there is just hers on that lanyard. Cause I am pretty sure the cops were in plenty of supply of evidence gloves they used to plant the evidence. They sure didn't want to be caught planting it.

And then again. It is in police custody so who knows now. If they could plant stuff other dna, hood latches, bullets, keys, cars and even bones. they could easily add his dna with whats still in evidence with that lanyard.

And then again. It is in police custody so who knows now. If they could plant stuff other dna, hood latches, bullets, keys, cars and even bones. they could easily add his dna with whats still in evidence with that lanyard.

If we reason that certain things were planted they were like props, items meant to be found and directed to be tested because they were the pulling strings then it would take a forensic genius to plant SA's blood or dna evidence on all the items gathered in the investigation. I have to believe that some items were over looked and forgotten about. I found my lanyard at home that has the same kind of clasp that hers does. You can remove it one handed but its impossible to unclasp without touching the other side the neck side because you squeeze the two sides in. But it's easy to fool yourself into thinking you did not touch the neck piece. I have to believe that the handler cleaned it so completely because they were afraid it was contaminated with their own personal dna and only wanted SA's dna present.

It's a little strange to me that the investigators just "knew" the strap piece with the key on it was just such an important piece of evidence, yet there is no mention of the other side of this lanyard being found in the car getting forensic testing.

I read Culhane's (blonde analyst) testimony again last night, the amount of DNA on that key was very minimal. She swabbed the whole key, black part and key, and got a very low amount of DNA on the swab. I don't think his DNA had to be planted, I think it was there in the trailer, whether on the gloves of whoever picked it up (or put it down LOL) or even from the floor/slippers. I did not read that the clasp was even tested. The same was for the latch, it was a very minute amount. The latch could not be ruled out as blood, because she had such a low amount, no presumptive tests were done.

Another thing I read that I didn't think much of before. SA's buccal swabs from 2003, when sent back to Manitowoc County Sheriff's, it was Detective Remiker that signed for them.

Other keys spotted near that desk and side shelf.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My husband uses a lanyard withhis keys. When I use his keys I leave the keys & long lanyard piece together. It's a light fabric, so you're not going to feel it hitting your legs as if it were a heavy object. I also use those keys with an older model Ford Escape, which is a smaller SUV much like TH's RAV4. You're sitting up higher so the lanyard doesn't hit as much as you think it would. At least in my experience. We switch cars twice a week and I've never been bothered by the fabric. Also, you just get used to things. I could see TH keeping it all together or I could see her disconnecting it but that seems like a hassle.

Either way I hope that is tested and that there is viable evidence, rather than a jumble of DNA since it was handled improperly.

Saw this on one of the discussion pages, :thinking:

I take no credit for this,

I also drove a Toyota (which I have sold recently) and my key appeared identical to this one. Mine was a Tacoma, hers a Rav4.
a couple years ago I locked my keys in the car. I attempted "break in" to my car in several fashions.
1. using a coat hanger thru the top of the door jam to hit the unlock button. No Luck. Upon actually depressing the unlock button the vehicle automatically reengaged the lock within milliseconds
2. using a slim jim provided and administered thru a licensed locksmith. Apparently there is a metal plate within the door that prevents access to the locking mechanism via the window via slim jim
3. after 3 hours i put my elbow thru the window of my truck in frustration. I let myself in.

My point is not the security of the Toyota( even tho its amazing) but what happened in the ensuing days. upon telling my story to a friend at the gym whom works for Toyota he said "why didnt you just call me with the VIN #? I could have cut you a new key in minutes."
Let that sink in for a second...
Theresa's DNA was not found on the key.
The key, if you take a close look at the key it looks freshly cut with absolutley no lateral striations on it. Upon examining multiple keys of my own that have been used for several years as hers would have they are present. The key in this video which appears brand new and freshly cut has none of Theresa's DNA on it. This in an of itself is a HUGE RED FLAG. I can personally guarantee with the way that i handle my keys... in and out of my pockets and such, have my DNA all over them. They are also worn.
Theresa drove a '99 Rav 4. She was murdered in 2005 (If i remember correctly).
Take a look at your 6 year old house or car keys.
Do they look this pristine?
Has anyone investigated whether another key was made via Toyota with the VIN # or possibly thru an independent locksmith?
Also, the current sheriff, who was one of the arresting officers in 1985 during his original charge in which he was exonerated is part owner of another competing auto salvage yard in Mantiwoc. He would know how to make/order a key using a vin #
To further bolster my claim, the key depicted is a replacement key or it's known as a valet key. It won't open the glove box or in the case of my truck my tailgate. I forgot I lost my original key and when I'm looking at is a replacement key or a valet key. This model of key originally came with the panic button and unlock lock mode built into the actual keys structure. The only reason that a late 90s early 2000's key issued from Toyota would look like this is if it was a valet or replacement key. So it had to be a replacement or the actual valet\spare key found in her apartment after an investigative search.
Remember,in trial Sgt Colburn said, "only the murderer could've had access to the key"

Smoking gun??

Is THIS why the plate was called in early? To ID the vehicle, be sure it belonged to Teresa ( it was locked ) have a KEY made and THEN plant SA blood with the Q-tip like pattern? ( my thoughts )

Just a thinkin out loud again

Was DNA found on the lanyard???

Wouldn't a bunch of SOMETHING get into that thing???

I have to agree about the lanyard pittie_mcclure, my daughter came to visit for the night last night, she has used a lanyard since she was 16 (she is almost 24). She said all her friends do too, I asked her if it was annoying when she drove, she said nope, probably because she is used to it.

I read Culhane's (blonde analyst) testimony again last night, the amount of DNA on that key was very minimal. She swabbed the whole key, black part and key, and got a very low amount of DNA on the swab. I don't think his DNA had to be planted, I think it was there in the trailer, whether on the gloves of whoever picked it up (or put it down LOL) or even from the floor/slippers. I did not read that the clasp was even tested. The same was for the latch, it was a very minute amount. The latch could not be ruled out as blood, because she had such a low amount, no presumptive tests were done.

Another thing I read that I didn't think much of before. SA's buccal swabs from 2003, when sent back to Manitowoc County Sheriff's, it was Detective Remiker that signed for them.

Yes I agree that such a small amount could be picked up just being in that room, falling in slippers, the bed sheets, any of that stuff. If SA kept that as a trophy or something like that I just think there would be way more DNA. But then I think If he was smart enough to want to remove DNA I would think he would be smart enough to know they could link the key to TH, DNA or not, so he wouldn't keep the key in his room to be found. (Just like I don't think he would wipe down the RAV4 to get rid of DNA but think leaving the car on his property is no big deal) But I know that is conjecture on my part. I know the key could have been washed so I do keep that in mind but I'm always suprised that there was none of TH's DNA there. When I carry my husband's keys with a lanyard on them I can't help but play with it by wrapping it around my fingers, swinging it, etc. I'm like a child, lol. But TH may have been a less fidgety person.

Was DNA found on the lanyard???

Wouldn't a bunch of SOMETHING get into that thing???

I don't know that the lanyard was tested (I can't find anything if it was) As far as I could tell, just the actual key was swabbed.... the whole key... black part and silver part.... and very little DNA was obtained to test. IIRC no presumptive "blood" test was done on it, so no way to know if the source of DNA was blood or another source... ya know, like sweat haha

I know myself.... I don't normally carry my keys by the key. I would carry it by the ring (on my index finger) or the keychain, or in this case the lanyard. Why wasn't it tested?

Her purse, ( if she carried one ) was it ever found?

Did we ever find out for sure if this key was a part of her original keys, did she use her spare?

If this had been ( I know, HAD BEEN, I find myself saying that A LOT ) a PROPER investigation any where else, regards to anyone else maybe we could have explored this key a bit more in court.

I don't know, I'm no expert.
Would it open the glove box or trunk if it were the original?
Still doesn't explain much though:banghead:

And wonder where the rest of her keys are? Unless she really just used the one?
The photo of her, says otherwise though.

I don't know that the lanyard was tested (I can't find anything if it was) As far as I could tell, just the actual key was swabbed.... the whole key... black part and silver part.... and very little DNA was obtained to test. IIRC no presumptive "blood" test was done on it, so no way to know if the source of DNA was blood or another source... ya know, like sweat haha

I know myself.... I don't normally carry my keys by the key. I would carry it by the ring (on my index finger) or the keychain, or in this case the lanyard. Why wasn't it tested?

I wondered about that too. I keep my keys on something similar to that and always grab the lanyard when I'm carrying my keys. I don't think they tested it. I read through the transcript this weekend and don't recall anyone talking about it. Just they key attached to it.

I think the first hallway picture was the first of entering his bedroom. The second I believe is when they went back in on the 8th. As you see in the first picture the Slippers are behind the statue and the chair is turned facing out from the wall. He has clothing on that chair.

The second picture in which I believe was the same day the Key was found is because of the chair in the back ground and the slip of paper on the floor. as well as some of the things on the little shelf. In several pictures of the same things on the shelf they show the chair turned but still had his clothing on the chair. This picture doesn't have those clothes anymore. The Statue that the slippers were behind is also missing from the picture. When was it placed back at the door and the slippers moved into the way they were found with the key. Seems they staged that key picture. JMO

attachment.php

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste