the question phase continues: Arias on the stand for the 18th day #85

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it's called gravity too. JM made sure he set this ? up perfectly. It is clear from the picture,that there was nothing on this shelf that had much weight to hold it down. There is no way possibly to step on this shelf without tipping it, flipping it, or dropping the lightweight items on it.

I like how JM sets his questions up. With the most defiant defendant I have ever seen. I just hope she keep challenging him, when you don't want to cooperate, or answer a question = you're guilty.

Well I pray to God that if Juan brings in the same shelves for a demonstration that we don't have an OJ and the Glove incident.

18 days. And it took her nearly half of all her time on the stand (8.5 days) to admit the fear so great, so palpable, so vivid it left her no viable option than killing her 'abuser'. Her mortal terror.

If it seems a sticking point for me, it really is. In all my years since my own abusive relationship, I've watched and heard many victims and survivors alike, downplay and dismiss their partner's abusive behaviors...

Never their own fear.
-------------------------------------------
Nurmi: Oh. So you were afraid of him?
Jodi: No. Frayed.

Nurmi: You were afraid of him?
Jodi: Yes. Well, not for my physical safety.

Nurmi: Okay. So you were scared of him?
Jodi: No. I was worried.
(Not verbatim but very, very close. Her lack of fear stuck in my head. ;))

I'm a newbie here, so...sorry if I'm out of line, but for those who believe JM did not score some severely major points today, I have to respectfully disagree. First, cross examination is about keeping the witness unstable and off-guard; the whole point is to not let the witness prepare for her answers. So, if you noticed, JM was moving from topic to topic without any transitions...lack of organization is completely by design to keep JA off-guard. Second, cross (or in this case follow-up) is not about landing the ultimate "Perry Mason" moment. Rather, it is about gathering inconsistencies to be argued in closing argument.

So, today we learned:
1. That Jodi said last week that she thought the gun was in a holster, but today....she suddenly can't remember.
2. The 62 second timeline is impossible.
3. No reasonable person could believe that she climbed on the closet shelves without disturbing anything, or flipping one of the shelves.
4. She saw the gun three times: but, none of those times included seeing Travis "load the gun and take it with him." Today was the first time we heard this claim.
5. She remembers, crystal clear, only the events that support her self-defense claims. 6. The height of the closet will not support her version (IMO demonstrated clearly on closing).
7. She only uses Mormon doctrine when it demonstrates that Travis was a heretic.

There are more points that were made, but I thought today was the best day JM had so far. IMHO, at the end of the day, some of the subtle points of today will bite JA in the behind more than any of the obvious inconsistencies.

Please pardon the pretension of my first post, but I am an avid follower of this trial and have been a consistent lurker here!

Good post and welcome.:Welcome1::Welcome1:

I believe that Juan purposely left a lot of threads untied ...they will all be woven together during rebuttal...and, then, watch out:
BAM....SHOCK....& AWE....!!!!
:fireworks:

I'm a newbie here, so...sorry if I'm out of line, but for those who believe JM did not score some severely major points today, I have to respectfully disagree. First, cross examination is about keeping the witness unstable and off-guard; the whole point is to not let the witness prepare for her answers. So, if you noticed, JM was moving from topic to topic without any transitions...lack of organization is completely by design to keep JA off-guard. Second, cross (or in this case follow-up) is not about landing the ultimate "Perry Mason" moment. Rather, it is about gathering inconsistencies to be argued in closing argument.

So, today we learned:
1. That Jodi said last week that she thought the gun was in a holster, but today....she suddenly can't remember.
3. No reasonable person could believe that she climbed on the closet shelves without disturbing anything, or flipping one of the shelves.
4. She saw the gun three times: but, none of those times included seeing Travis "load the gun and take it with him." Today was the first time we heard this claim.
5. She remembers, crystal clear, only the events that support her self-defense claims. 6. The height of the closet will not support her version (IMO demonstrated clearly on closing).
7. She only uses Mormon doctrine when it demonstrates that Travis was a heretic.

There are more points that were made, but I thought today was the best day JM had so far. IMHO, at the end of the day, some of the subtle points of today will bite JA in the behind more than any of the obvious inconsistencies.

Please pardon the pretension of my first post, but I am an avid follower of this trial and have been a consistent lurker here!

I believe that the whole thing took 62 sec. is true because she had the gun and knife with her. She watched him die slowly.

So, today we learned:

welcome!!!!:rocker::rocker:

your post was awesome and I look forward to more of your input in the discussion!

Wait, BK just said that one of the defense witnesses is most likely going to claim that JA suffered from PTSD after killing Travis. Well of course she is, but how can that be? I thought the jury asked JA if she had been diagnosed or sought medical treatment for a medical/mental condition. JA answered no. Wouldn't PTSD fall under the mental health category?

She made sure to say that she had "no access" to mental health care.

So, today we learned:

Welcome and thanks for an awesome post :)

Welcome to the :rollercoaster: !

So, today we learned:

So, today we learned:

This is a great first post! :fireworks: Glad you joined us!

I think the defendant contradicted herself on purpose many times. And she said that she said things before (like today when she said TA said the gun was loaded) when she really hadn't.

I think she has purposely stated contradictory things because she wants to wreak chaos in the jury room. She wants them to argue with each other and cause an overall state of confusion about the evidence/testimony, such as "she said x"...."no, she said y"...."

...kind of like what happens here with us on WS. :)

Maybe her strategy is "baffle them with BS."

I was thinking the same,,she wants to die so in her mind to be with travis forever so why not hurt the family and everyone invalved,,getting to spar and prove shes smarter than jm is a bonus and ego booster

Good evening everyone! :seeya:

Watching NG.........

Haven't seen hardly anything from today so far, however, I love the part about the shelf in the closet that would only bear 40 lbs. weight on it....the one JA allegedly stepped on! And nothing disturbed.

:silly:

OK! Here's what happened:

The shelf that I put my foot on was approximately 12 inches from the ground ...
I stepped on the very edge of it while at the same time grabbing the higher shelf with my left as though I was reaching for something higher and to my right.... the back side of it tipped up and then landed back on its pegs only slightly (but definitely) disturbing the shoes on it.

Here's what I was totally NOT expecting to happen (because I suck at physics)... The shelf I grabbed with my hand SLID out towards me really fast and cleared the back peg platforms and fell down between the 4 pegs and the shoes landed on the shelf below it!!!

Thank you for trying. That is the part that people dont realize at first. Your body weight is pulling away from the shelves. So even if you are holding on tight with hands, you will be pulling out away from the wall and the shelf could slip outwards too. What Jodi claims she did is not easily accomplished with movable shelves that could slip. If she did it real fast, its possible, but the height of the shelves seem to show that she would have had to go up a couple steps and she would have had to get a lucky grab otherwise she would flly back off the shelf and have to try again. Mainly because she claims the gun was in the hardest part to get which is top very corner.

I would have loved to seen her try this in the courtroom. It would have been comical at the very least and at the very best she would not have been able to do it at all.

JURY QUESTION: If you were so ashamed of the bruises that you didn't photograph them, Ms. Arias, why weren't you too ashamed of the phone sex to record it?

See, this is the kind of thing I think JM is going to bring up in his summation. He will point out all the preposterous inconsistencies in her stories. And there are so many of them!

Jody Arias goes to her bishop AFTER the murder and admits the sex. So now she's in the process of repentence without confessing that SHE MURDERED SOMEONE!

This reveals part of her motive, which was to restore her good name and smear Travis' because he threatened to expose her for the beeyotch *advertiser censored* thief? that she is. She fully intended to keep this murder secret forever.

If she went back to the bishop and told him that she murdered someone after she confessed that she slept with him--and didn't tell him that--she would be excommunicated.

I am sure she fooled the bishop, crying and carrying on that she didn't want to do the nasty but he made her and now he's dead and he was so wonderful, kind, lit up a room...I'm sue the bishop felt sorry for her almost-widowhood and just put her on probation.

What a monster.

I call a canard

I think she went to the bishop but it was to talk about Travis being found dead and to find out what he knew about it. She knows the bishop cannot testify so she feels pretty safe lying in this area

just my :twocents: of course

So, today we learned:

:goodpost:

I vote we add a couple more:

8) after 18 loooong days, the DT has established exactly ZERO to suggest self defense

and

9) hearing JM use the F word causes massive intermittent tingling sensations in the extremities. :D

I was waiting for that to come up, but I think it's too late now. Although I suppose the DV expert could say she shows "signs" of being molested, or that victims of abuse often block memories of molestation.

That's the problem with these experts. If she bad-mouths Travis or praises him, if remembers or doesn't remember, if she believed she was abused or didn't believe, no matter what she says, the DV expert is going to say it's a classic sign of a battered woman.

Is it a classic sign of "battered woman syndrome" to fantasize about being ravished by the boyfriend who previously raped her? Is it typical for such women to write in their private journals about enthusiastically acting out their sexual fantasies with the abusers who raped them previously (anally raped on her baptism but later talks about how she and Travis fulfilled each others naughty fantasies together and expresses how much she loves him)?

How many days now!
Juan was dealing with pure evil!

Don't know the exact number of days or hours she's been on the stand but I do have the dates:

JA was on the witness stand from 2/4/13 to 3/13/13!

Any scoop about who's on tomorrow? Alyce Laviolette perhaps? I just hope it's Willmott's turn to do the questioning...

bbm

For those unfamiliar -- Here is a link to Laviolette which appears to be her own material/reference. She also has a 20-page C.V. link within it (!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89