The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've considered that possibility as well. As I understand it, her bedroom was somewhat small but sufficient for three people to be in at the time the girls came home.

Let me ask this follow-up question. If these individuals were in the home were they there simply to kill or abduct Sherrill or waiting for Suzie to show up as well or were they simply rifling through Sherrill's belongings for valuables? If they were burglars who were there to steal valuables why would they leave so much money in Sherrill's purse but more importantly why would they stack the purses up on the steps to the sunken bedroom?

Is this normally what one might expect of these caliber of criminals? Offhand I would say they would want to do a quick in and out and be gone. Of course I am going on my own two personal experiences with burglars while living in Springfield. It was obvious they were burglars. As I understand the crime scene every effort was made to make it appears so as not to be seen as a burglary.

That being the case; not a burglary, then we have to necessarily conclude that they had a specific purpose in mind and that was to simply execute the intended victims. Wouldn't it have much simpler and quick to simply shoot them on the spot and leave the bodies? Without a traceable weapon and a small caliber weapon such as a .22 with a silencer it would have been virtually impossible to find the perpetrators. Certainly there would have been far less interest in this case because of its extreme unusual nature than a triple homicide that long ago would have been forgotten.

Of course I suppose this unusual case is what has led the various LE authorities to conclude this was a sexual assault although I haven't a clue what gave them that impression. So far as I know there was no forensic evidence leading to this conclusion. Some believe this is just a guess based on the logic of other common motives.

The possible struggle would logically have broken the globe.

People conclude that the lack of physical evidence and disruption of the crime scene means it was professional. I have never believed that. However it could have been planned. I think it was just limited to the two rooms. So control of the women was enough to not disrupt things. As far as the van goes, I know it doesnt jive with the known facts. I was just really acknowledging that if that area was blocked she would have drove in the other way. It was a last minute decision to go there and her mother didnt know she was coming home. I think sexual assault was the motive myself. I think the various agencies thought that because of that lack of evidence pointing to another motive. THe driveway being blocked is not my personal theory, but it would be one of the options. As far as three people keeping there mouth shut.......the death penalty would be quite the motivation to stay quiet.

People conclude that the lack of physical evidence and disruption of the crime scene means it was professional. I have never believed that. However it could have been planned. I think it was just limited to the two rooms. So control of the women was enough to not disrupt things. As far as the van goes, I know it doesnt jive with the known facts. I was just really acknowledging that if that area was blocked she would have drove in the other way. It was a last minute decision to go there and her mother didnt know she was coming home.
I think sexual assault was the motive myself.
I think the various agencies thought that because of that lack of evidence pointing to another motive. THe driveway being blocked is not my personal theory, but it would be one of the options. As far as three people keeping there mouth shut.......the death penalty would be quite the motivation to stay quiet.

Just my speculative opinion but I have been thinking on the possibility that LE has forensic evidence collected from Sherrill's bedroom indicating sexual assault. If true it would mean two things:

LE should have all of the "usual suspects" forensic information on file from prior arrests, which could mean what was collected does not match any of the suspects.

Or it could match one of the suspects but just not be enough evidence in and of itself, to bring the case to trial.

It would certainly explain why several branches of LE all came to the conclussion that the motive was sexual assault.

when a thread is pulled for review, theirs a posting that states the thread has been removed for viewing.........I don't see that statement for thread number 3 on this case. Can someone lead me to where it is? If it has not been pulled? I am confused

when a thread is pulled for review, theirs a posting that states the thread has been removed for viewing.........I don't see that statement for thread number 3 on this case. Can someone lead me to where it is? If it has not been pulled? I am confused

I was going to try to post the link for Thread #3. I tried to access it two different ways and each time I get a message saying I don't have permission to access the page for one of two reasons - either my account doesn't have sufficient privileges to view Thread #3 or the administrator has disabled it. I can access all the other threads except that one. Strange...

I was going to try to post the link for Thread #3. I tried to access it two different ways and each time I get a message saying I don't have permission to access the page for one of two reasons - either my account doesn't have sufficient privileges to view Thread #3 or the administrator has disabled it. I can access all the other threads except that one. Strange...

It does seem odd. I wonder if it was pulled for reasons having to do with law enforcement purposes. Of course that is just pure speculation on my part. I have long believed that the person or persons involved have monitored the case and possibly have even posted. If they provided information not released to the public that would create a problem for someone it seems. Perhaps there is a perfectly innocent explanation, however; even a mistake of sorts. Odd though.

Thread 3 was pulled for violations of the forum. I do not know that it ever was edited and put back up.

Thread 3 was pulled for violations of the forum. I do not know that it ever was edited and put back up.

And this was confirmed by the moderators of the forum? There were several changes and posted that were removed at the request of the forum but to my knowledge there was no further need to pull the entire thread as the offending posts were already gone. Are you speculating or was it actually confirmed by the moderator or administrator? I have seen it asserted that it was pulled but is that a fact or surmise?

And this was confirmed by the moderators of the forum? There were several changes and posted that were removed at the request of the forum but to my knowledge there was no further need to pull the entire thread as the offending posts were already gone. Are you speculating or was it actually confirmed by the moderator or administrator? I have seen it asserted that it was pulled but is that a fact or surmise?
There was an explanation at the time. It was my understanding that the editing would have to be done and then it would be available. However it never has returned. I do not remember anything in that forum that LE would be interested in.

Or it could match one of the suspects but just not be enough evidence in and of itself, to bring the case to trial.

I believe this statement speaks volumes, and is quite sage. Often cold cases are broken by a piece of physical evidence, or a reaffirming forensic evidence overlooked at the time.

In this spirit of this observation, I believe this is precisely why it may have appeared LE has been so slow to bring this forward. They have all these pieces, but nothing fits quite WELL enough, to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, of guilt.

I find all that more believable than outright conspiracy or even incompetence, thought contributory negligence is still possibly a factor.

There was an explanation at the time. It was my understanding that the editing would have to be done and then it would be available. However it never has returned. I do not remember anything in that forum that LE would be interested in.

That's a shame it hasn't returned because I carefully excerpted beginning from Thread #1 through Thread #2, all relevant information which I have tried to keep in a separate file to review from time to time. I wonder if the moderator would consent to put it back up to see if there is anything worth knowing. We covered a whole lot of material over many pages of which there might be something worth known. I usually try to copy PMs as well for future reference as things have a way of disappearing. We may just have to live with it. I suppose in the future we will just have to copy threads anticipating they may vanish in the netherworld never to be seen again. That little tidbit of information or shred of information could be the key to understanding what happened here. Thanks for the info, though.

I believe this statement speaks volumes, and is quite sage. Often cold cases are broken by a piece of physical evidence, or a reaffirming forensic evidence overlooked at the time.

In this spirit of this observation, I believe this is precisely why it may have appeared LE has been so slow to bring this forward. They have all these pieces, but nothing fits quite WELL enough, to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, of guilt.

I find all that more believable than outright conspiracy or even incompetence, thought contributory negligence is still possibly a factor.

I think your comment about "contributory negligence" may be very close to the truth. It is an angle that hasn't very much been explored in this forum but as I have argued elsewhere I am not convinced to a certainty that the girls actually arrived at the residence. All we know for a certain fact (as best as it can be ascertained) is that they left Battlefield for a 12 mile trip back to the Levitt home at about 2:20 AM that morning. What took place up to about 6 AM is not established beyond a certain doubt. A number of things could have taken place if "contributory negligence" was the missing link as I am now inclined to believe. But that is just a personal opinion and my $0.02.

The forum administrator for Websleuths issued several warnings concerning rule violations on citing sources. The rules require documented sources when something is stated as fact so that those facts can be verified by others. Documentation used can be in the form of source names, weblinks, or media sources with publication dates. Or things could be introduced as opinion only, and obviously opinion only carries less weight than verifiable facts. When some posters continued to ignore the rules and warnings thread #3 was locked down with the intent of editing out the offending posts. It soon became apparent that was an impossible task because of all the violations throughout the thread and with all of the copying of posts used in follow up posts. The original posts in violation could easily be deleted but the copying of those posts in replies could not without losing the reply post. So therefore, the useful information in thread #3 is lost to those who don’t have it. Care should be used so that it doesn’t happen again.

If LE had recovered a head hair belonging to one of the usual suspects from Sherrill’s bed or bedroom, for example, the suspect could make the claim that he had been a walk in customer at the salon and Sherrill had cut his hair. The head hair could have been transferred to her clothing and brought home in just such a manner.

Even a pubic hair, in and of itself would not make a case likely to win a conviction. It just may be that SPD simply does not have enough evidence put together. They simply can't risk losing a conviction by being short on evidence.

Theories of contributory negligence proposed usually center around someone trying to hide the death of one or more of the girls from a drug overdose during the parties or by a car accident sometime after 2:00 am. Neither idea would explain why it would be necessary to abduct and murder Sherrill in order to cover up such a crime. Why make 3 disappear instead of just 2?

If LE had recovered a head hair belonging to one of the usual suspects from Sherrill’s bed or bedroom, for example, the suspect could make the claim that he had been a walk in customer at the salon and Sherrill had cut his hair. The head hair could have been transferred to her clothing and brought home in just such a manner.

Even a pubic hair, in and of itself would not make a case likely to win a conviction. It just may be that SPD simply does not have enough evidence put together. They simply can't risk losing a conviction by being short on evidence.

Theories of contributory negligence proposed usually center around someone trying to hide the death of one or more of the girls from a drug overdose during the parties or by a car accident sometime after 2:00 am. Neither idea would explain why it would be necessary to abduct and murder Sherrill in order to cover up such a crime. Why make 3 disappear instead of just 2?

This is my own personal speculation but panic might explain it. What would a young person who may have contributed to the death of another youth by drinking or driving dangerously causing another's death or serious injury do to stay out of jail? People have been murdered for far less reason.

Is this a plausible scenario? I believe the answer is yes. Can it be ruled out? I believe the answer is no. Could murder be the solution? I believe it could be argued that it could by young mind(s) racing a thousand miles an hour knowing what would be the result. What is the penalty for negligent homicide? This link provides an explanation of what might happen.

This might also explain how Sherrill might have been lured out of the home if she had reason to believe there was trouble with Suzie on the road home and someone she knew came to her door advising of such trouble.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/n/ne...Homicide+Law&gclid=CM60z_Hw9aICFSQ65QodUjHZjw

The one thing missing from this case is a clear motive. If we knew that I believe we might be closer to a possible explanation of what might have happened but as I said this is only an opinion.

This is my own personal speculation but panic might explain it. What would a young person who may have contributed to the death of another youth by drinking or driving dangerously causing another's death or serious injury do to stay out of jail? People have been murdered for far less reason.

Is this a plausible scenario? I believe the answer is yes. Can it be ruled out? I believe the answer is no. Could murder be the solution? I believe it could be argued that it could by young mind(s) racing a thousand miles an hour knowing what would be the result. What is the penalty for negligent homicide? This link provides an explanation of what might happen.

This might also explain how Sherrill might have been lured out of the home if she had reason to believe there was trouble with Suzie on the road home and someone she knew came to her door advising of such trouble.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/n/ne...Homicide+Law&gclid=CM60z_Hw9aICFSQ65QodUjHZjw

The one thing missing from this case is a clear motive. If we knew that I believe we might be closer to a possible explanation of what might have happened but as I said this is only an opinion.

IMO, if the motive was anything other than sexual assault, this case would have been solved a long time ago.

Say for example the motive was drugs, I believe LE would have been able to connect the dots and find the person or persons responsible. Drug activity seems like it would be traceable to a dealer and/or their crowd. Most importantly, these women do not have a history of using or selling drugs.

Say for example the motive was based on something that happened at the parties and the friends were involved, how is it possible not one person has cracked over the years? I don't know how many people were at the parties, but my guess would be many. What are the chances of everyone agreeing to a cover up?

By all accounts the girls made it back to the Delmar house after the parties. Which doesn't jive with anything happening at the parties. The only way the party scenario would work is if the crime scene was staged and they never made it back to the house as you have suggested. The problem with this scenario is LE has stated the girls made it back to the house and even said which door they left through. If they were able to conclude this, they must have had evidence to back it up. Also, why would Sherrill even need to be contacted by the friends in this scenario, let alone killed?

IMO, robbery wasn't the motive as money was left behind and nothing was taken from the home.

I believe the reason this case hasn't been solved is because sexual assault was the motive. More than likely the women didn't know the perp/s. Stranger crimes are always harder to solve.

Again, this is just my opinion.

IMO, if the motive was anything other than sexual assault, this case would have been solved a long time ago.

Say for example the motive was drugs, I believe LE would have been able to connect the dots and find the person or persons responsible. Drug activity seems like it would be traceable to a dealer and/or their crowd. Most importantly, these women do not have a history of using or selling drugs.

Say for example the motive was based on something that happened at the parties and the friends were involved, how is it possible not one person has cracked over the years? I don't know how many people were at the parties, but my guess would be many. What are the chances of everyone agreeing to a cover up?

By all accounts the girls made it back to the Delmar house after the parties. Which doesn't jive with anything happening at the parties. The only way the party scenario would work is if the crime scene was staged and they never made it back to the house as you have suggested. The problem with this scenario is LE has stated the girls made it back to the house and even said which door they left through. If they were able to conclude this, they must have had evidence to back it up.
Also, why would Sherrill even need to be contacted by the friends in this scenario, let alone killed?

IMO, robbery wasn't the motive as money was left behind and nothing was taken from the home.

I believe the reason this case hasn't been solved is because sexual assault was the motive. More than likely the women didn't know the perp/s. Stranger crimes are always harder to solve.

I agree with that question entirely. If one of the girls died in either scenario of a drug OD or a car crash, at most someone might be facing a manslaughter charge, but at 18 yrs of age in 1992 I even doubt that. I think that it is a very big stretch that they would then turn and commit two additional 1st degree murders to cover it up. If they happened to have affluent parents they may not have faced any charges at all. And in the scenario of a car crash I believe that it would have been determined that one of the party goers was missing a car. There is no evidence to support either scenario of contirbutory negligence.

By all accounts the girls made it back to the Delmar house after the parties. Which doesn't jive with anything happening at the parties. The only way the party scenario would work is if the crime scene was staged and they never made it back to the house as you have suggested. The problem with this scenario is LE has stated the girls made it back to the house and even said which door they left through. If they were able to conclude this, they must have had evidence to back it up. Also, why would Sherrill even need to be contacted by the friends in this scenario, let alone killed?

I have the highest respect for your point of view. But I'm troubled by the conclusion. Where is the evidence that this was a sexual assault and where is the proof positive the girls actually arrived back at the Levitt home? All we have is the vehicles there. The rest of the forensic evidence at the house could have been planted there. There was plenty of time to do that; about three hours by my reckoning.

Now I never really thought too much about it until recently but have been gravitating more and more toward the staging of a crime scene. We have to then ask ourselves if this is consistent with a sexual assault case.

I am very, very troubled by the placement of the purses on the steps and the leaving of the money behind.

The method of luring Sherrill out of the home is entirely open to speculation. Of course, if one of the girls let in the perp(s), would they let in an unknown sexual predator? Would Cox fit the bill? Perhaps the utility worker ruse actually was what happened. He's not talking.

The reason I wanted to pursue this line of thinking was to open up the case to new thinking that might provide alternative scenarios worth thinking about. Here we have that night possibly hundreds of people who would have had contact with the girls. What did they know? Did they observe anything? Was it consistent? I am also highly troubled by the early phone calls to the Levitt home. Since Branson was a mere 35 miles from Springfield and this was one of the longest days of the year, what was the rush? Has anyone ever seen anything that establishes there was a time appointed to meet and go to Branson? If so, I've never seen it.

If it could be established that everyone's recollection was virtually identical and that no one was given up as a likely suspect among that group, it would be logical to move to someone outside this group. We then have Cox to consider. However I have read any number of people argue vehemently that he didn't do it; that he was some kind of "faker" who liked the attention. I've seen it argued that it would have been impossible for him to do this crime by himself. Perhaps. Do we then conclude that his co-conspirators, if they existed, have successfully clammed up over an 18 year period? Are they deceased? We simply don't know. Perhaps we are really looking for a random serial murderer like a Ted Bundy. Can't be ruled out. I've seen that very argument in this forum. Totally plausible.

All I am saying is this is that I am not convinced to a certainty they arrived at the home. Circumstantially it seems logical. But is it true? How would that be determined and how would it be dated to establish they actually arrived? We have no bodies. We have no way to establish the type and time of death. We are left with an empty house, no women and no way to determine what happened to them. I just don't believe we ought to slam the door on new possibilities and say emphatically it couldn't have happened totally differently than we had assumed. But that is just my personal opinion. Obviously I can't prove it.

There is one other thing. I do believe that drugs cannot be ruled out but not for the reasons one might suspect. I do agree with you that if drugs played any part in this crime the source should be known to someone. I would however suggest the following as a possible new line of thinking. I know during my college years this was used for cramming for final examinations. So we are not necessarily looking for the typical low-life drug dealers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextroamphetamine

And as a disclaimer, this is my own conjecture and opinion. I can prove none of it.

I have the highest respect for your point of view. Likewise and thank you. But I'm troubled by the conclusion. Where is the evidence that this was a sexual assault Imo, there doesn’t need to be evidence of sexual assault, it’s just deductive reasoning and where is the proof positive the girls actually arrived back at the Levitt home? Here’s the thing, we do not know all of the evidence LE has. They obviously have reason to believe the girls made it back to the house. There quite possibly could be other evidence besides the fingerprints on the door and I doubt LE concluded Stacy left barefoot because her shoes were left behind. All we have is the vehicles there. The rest of the forensic evidence at the house could have been planted there. IMO, there is too much detail in where their things were placed for these items to have been planted. The washcloth showing they had removed their make-up is just something I can’t fathom someone would think to plant. Why leave all of Suzie’s clothes she had on and only leave certain clothing items of Stacy’s behind at the house? There was plenty of time to do that; about three hours by my reckoning. I'm not sure 3 hours would be enough time to kill all 3, hide their bodies in such a good place they've never been found, drive their cars back to the house and plant evidence.

Now I never really thought too much about it until recently but have been gravitating more and more toward the staging of a crime scene. We have to then ask ourselves if this is consistent with a sexual assault case. IMO, the crime scene wasn’t staged, so it has no bearing on being consistent with sexual assault.

I am very, very troubled by the placement of the purses on the steps and the leaving of the money behind. We don’t know where they usually kept their purses; maybe this is where they routinely left their purses? Maybe the 18 friends and family members in the house that Sunday had gone through all of the purses looking for clues as to where the women could be and just stacked all the purses back up together and placed them there? Leaving the money behind indicates to me the perp/s weren’t after money.
The method of luring Sherrill out of the home is entirely open to speculation. Of course, if one of the girls let in the perp(s), would they let in an unknown sexual predator? Would Cox fit the bill? Perhaps the utility worker ruse actually was what happened. He's not talking. I think it is entirely possible a ruse was used to gain entry.

The reason I wanted to pursue this line of thinking was to open up the case to new thinking that might provide alternative scenarios worth thinking about. I took this scenario into consideration and just couldn’t make it work in my line of thinking. Here we have that night possibly hundreds of people who would have had contact with the girls. What did they know? Did they observe anything? Was it consistent? I am also highly troubled by the early phone calls to the Levitt home. Since Branson was a mere 35 miles from Springfield and this was one of the longest days of the year, what was the rush? They probably just wanted to get there early to enjoy a full day at the park. Has anyone ever seen anything that establishes there was a time appointed to meet and go to Branson? In the 48 hrs video, Janis states they were planning on meeting up between 8 and 8:30. Whether that establishes the time is up for debate. I believe her statement to be true. If so, I've never seen it.

If it could be established that everyone's recollection was virtually identical and that no one was given up as a likely suspect among that group, it would be logical to move to someone outside this group. I believe LE did this. They looked at the friends and everything checked out, so they moved on. We then have Cox to consider. However I have read any number of people argue vehemently that he didn't do it; that he was some kind of "faker" who liked the attention. I've seen it argued that it would have been impossible for him to do this crime by himself. Perhaps. Do we then conclude that his co-conspirators, if they existed, have successfully clammed up over an 18 year period? Are they deceased? We simply don't know. Perhaps we are really looking for a random serial murderer like a Ted Bundy. Can't be ruled out. I've seen that very argument in this forum. Totally plausible. IMO, this is the only other motive besides sexual assault that could be plausible. Serial killers really aren’t that common, which is why I tend to discard that theory. However, I’m not totally ruling it out.

All I am saying is this is that I am not convinced to a certainty they arrived at the home. Circumstantially it seems logical. But is it true? How would that be determined and how would it be dated to establish they actually arrived? We have no bodies. We have no way to establish the type and time of death. We are left with an empty house, no women and no way to determine what happened to them. I just don't believe we ought to slam the door on new possibilities and say emphatically it couldn't have happened totally differently than we had assumed. I don’t slam doors on new theories. As I stated above, I took this scenario into consideration and gave my reasons why I don’t find it plausible. But that is just my personal opinion. Obviously I can't prove it.

There is one other thing. I do believe that drugs cannot be ruled out but not for the reasons one might suspect. I do agree with you that if drugs played any part in this crime the source should be known to someone. I would however suggest the following as a possible new line of thinking. I know during my college years this was used for cramming for final examinations. So we are not necessarily looking for the typical low-life drug dealers. Dextroamphetamine, which is usually referred to as Adderall these days, is an extremely popular prescription drug on college campuses. It’s prescribed for ADHD/ADD and it’s pretty common for college kids to sell or give it to their friends to help them cram for tests. It became extemely popular within the last decade or so. I believe it cost $3-$5 per pill when it is sold to people without a prescription (60 Minutes did a show on this). My point is I don’t believe it’s something one would rack up a drug debt over that was so high they would be killed over it. As you pointed out they’re not the typical low-life drug dealers, so why suggest they would kill over something like this?

Dextroamphetamine

And as a disclaimer, this is my own conjecture and opinion. I can prove none of it.

My answers are bolded in blue above.

You make all good points. I don't want to leave the impression that a large debt for the Adderall was a reason for this crime. I just wanted to throw it out for discussion and you seem to have a good handle on this subject. Since the issue of drugs has over the years come up with respect to this crime I thought it should be looked at in a slightly different way.

The potential for a serial killer is evidently still on the table. I never personally believed it likely myself but there was one poster here who posited up a very plausible theory of how this could have come about using the BTK Killer as someone who might stalk the house or even hit it at random although he didn't think very highly of Rader personally.

I suppose it is possible that the individuals in the home might have arranged the purses on the step, (I wonder if they were placed where they were originally found, however) if I understand you correctly. As to the time of the phone calls, the police report states that Stacy was to stay at the Levitt home, (which was not the original plan) so if it was stated they were to muster up at or about 8AM I wouldn't be entirely satisfied that was actually factual either. Perhaps this was what had been repeated after everyone at the home were discussing the case prior to the police arriving. Evidently we are talking about several hours where people were in the home and what they thought and observed themselves was tempered by what others said so when the report was taken and more or less one person was giving the information to the officer it all sort of dovetailed although had no one talked to anyone else the stories might have differed substantially.

If a ruse was used to enter the home, then I would suppose I would have to fall back to my default best suspect and that would be Robert Cox. If all other scenarios and suspects are eliminated then whatever remains must be the answer. We have a known convicted felon in prison in Texas who has clammed up and claims he knows the women are dead and buried in Springfield. Perhaps he is actually telling the truth. But he won't admit he did it and the last I heard he remained in solitary in Texas until at least 2025. We may, in the end, have to accept that as the final story until and unless he decides to come clean. And I understand that when he was last arrested he had a "kill kit" in his car. But so many seem to want to rule him out. I just don't know.

It is of some interest that one of the videos previously on YouTube went back to the first responder and annoyance was expressed on the order of did the officers ever talk to one another because they kept asking the same questions. One must take away from that this was an area the police were not satisfied with. Or at least that is the way I interpret the response. Unfortunately, that YouTube video is no longer available.

Everyone speculates about Cox. He basically wont say he is innocent, but would he be so bold to leave it open to his involvement if he actually was involved? He would be putting himself in a tough spot if evidence linking to him was found in the house. Some form of DNA that puts him in the house would be damning to him. So if he were involved would he be so open about his potential involvement. Instead of denying it and using his alibi for cover, which would possibly take the eyes off him. Right now he is the focus of a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member