The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drake, I believe this to be a simple case of a random sexual assault gone bad. I have posted many times before that if the two girls had not arrived back home at the time they did Sherrill would have likely been raped in her own home, probably threatened and beaten within an inch of her life, but left alive. Follow the KISS principle. Just because LE does not currently have the necessary evidence to satisfy their burden of proof in a court of law does not mean that this case is not solved. Or that it is some big conspiracy of drugs, money, bad cops & serial killers.

Since I am posting this I want to say that I am going silent with my research and will no longer be posting on any board, so don't waste your time directing questions to me because I won't be answering.

And if Bartt happens to read this I want to apologize to him for having to read scenarios thru the years such as proposed above in my first paragraph. I know that can't be easy to take, not only for him but for all the friends of these 3 women who really know what they were really like as people.

Good! Now may be we can all discuss this case in an objective manor with out you trying to shut down every angle we pursue, but yet never providing anything positive in return! There is a lot more to this case than just a Simple Random Sexual Assault.....and you know it as well as I do. Your KISS principle should start with who were the last people to see the women, and/or who had a potential motive. As well as weather the story about Garrison and one or more of the Grave Robbers knowing each other is true or not. But because you have refused to confirm or deny this issue, or discuss any other issues, we are all left to guess if this was actually true, or just a rumor.

I've read back through at least 4-Years worth of your posts, and your ideas about what happened in this case have swayed back and forth just like everyone elses.

You don't have this figured out anymore than anyone else does.

While the theory that this was a random sexual assault gone bad is entirely plausible it seems to me there are several holes in this scenario. I can see no reason why the perp or perpetrators waited so long to do their evil deed. Sherrill was available for whatever purpose they had in mind long before the girls arrived.

Recently I learned that human trafficking is something on the order of the second most prevalent crime after drugs which greatly surprised me. For all we know the women (most likely the girls) could have been taken out of the country and taken overseas where they still remain if not dead.

http://www.humantrafficking.org/updates/893

I would also call attention to the unusual fact that Suzie's car was parked off the driveway (as seen in the "48 Hours" program) although there was more than adequate room on the north side of the driveway to have parked fully on the pavement. And then we have to wonder why her car was pointed to the east when according to Sherrill's car the driveway was clear to have driven in from the east side of the driveway since we can be reasonably certain they came in from Glenstone. It has come up from time to time the belief that the crime scene was staged. I'm not necessarily going there but I wonder about the vehicle placement. Suzie must have driven in there hundreds of time and surely knew where the driveway was. But someone who had not might have been in a hurry and missed the driveway and drove onto the grass. We do not know for a certain fact the girls actually arrived at the home. It would seem to be the case but cannot be definitively proven beyond an absolute certainty.

Just some random thoughts that come to mind.

------------------snip--------------------------

I would also call attention to the unusual fact that Suzie's car was parked off the driveway (as seen in the "48 Hours" program) although there was more than adequate room on the north side of the driveway to have parked fully on the pavement. And then we have to wonder why her car was pointed to the east when according to Sherrill's car the driveway was clear to have driven in from the east side of the driveway since we can be reasonably certain they came in from Glenstone. It has come up from time to time the belief that the crime scene was staged. I'm not necessarily going there but I wonder about the vehicle placement. Suzie must have driven in there hundreds of time and surely knew where the driveway was. But someone who had not might have been in a hurry and missed the driveway and drove onto the grass. We do not know for a certain fact the girls actually arrived at the home. It would seem to be the case but cannot be definitively proven beyond an absolute certainty.

----------------------------snip-------------------------

A lot here, in the last couple of posts.

To address the cars, I think this was raised before, but your question Mule has also been asked before too. Wasn’t it explained as possible ‘force of habit.’ During the cold months, having the car parked where Suzie did would most likely give you a clear windshield (melt off the frost) during the critical morning hours. I personally can say I did that when I lived in the area in the Winter months, parked the car where it would get sun ASAP in the morning to save me frost scraping time. True, in June it wouldn’t serve that purpose, but with Suzie bringing in a guest, maybe out of habit she just overshot the yard, and came in around from the left, with Stacy following her. And, parking on the grass, remember, the girls were drinking.

Question, since you referenced the 48-Hours video, I saw the ‘stand-up’ with the reporter and the cars still parked there. Any idea when that might have been ? How long did they keep the cars there ?

To address the cars, I think this was raised before, but your question Mule has also been asked before too. Wasn’t it explained as possible ‘force of habit.’ During the cold months, having the car parked where Suzie did would most likely give you a clear windshield (melt off the frost) during the critical morning hours. I personally can say I did that when I lived in the area in the Winter months, parked the car where it would get sun ASAP in the morning to save me frost scraping time. True, in June it wouldn’t serve that purpose, but with Suzie bringing in a guest, maybe out of habit she just overshot the yard, and came in around from the left, with Stacy following her. And, parking on the grass, remember, the girls were drinking.

Question, since you referenced the 48-Hours video, I saw the ‘stand-up’ with the reporter and the cars still parked there. Any idea when that might have been ? How long did they keep the cars there ?

Thats an excellant observation!! I was thinking the same thing too. How long did the house sit there, with the cars not moved and nothing else moved. It seems like 48hrs was given access to the crime scene big time. Did you notice the guy leans up against Susies car during his narative.

The other thing I wondered about the video is that, you see them dusting the house, and using tape to lift and preserve the prints the want. Was the crime scene still being processed when 48hrs, or who ever shot the footage of them lifting the prints off the wall. If so, that seems almost unprecidented that LE would allow a news crew inside the house WHILE its being processed.

Also, as you both said or implied, it would seem that who ever was driving Susies car, did a really poor job of navigating the driveway. You'd think that who ever was driving the car had to have been unfamiliar with the drive, and/or drunk. I can see being close to the grass, but Susies car is all up in the grass, like the person driving it was very intoxicated, or just a real bad driver. I'm voting for intoxicated.

The last question first. I don't know the precise time the cars were there but they were seen in some still photos at about the time the house was being dusted, etc. I would guess at some time that the cars were returned to the families. If I am not mistaken, I saw Stacy's car parked on the street where the McCalls lived in the "48 Hours" program.

I can understand the force of habit but I'm still not comfortable about the car being parked off the pavement area. The drinking theory makes sense and as you say there was no possibility of frost in June. But I still wonder if perhaps the cars were reparked by someone not normally familiar with the driveway, rushed, and while in the dark. May be nothing but it has always intrigued me. I also have this vague recollection that I read somewhere that the cars may have been parked in the opposite direction by some witnesses who happened by the residence that early morning. But don't hold me to that.

Drake, I believe this to be a simple case of a random sexual assault gone bad. I have posted many times before that if the two girls had not arrived back home at the time they did Sherrill would have likely been raped in her own home, probably threatened and beaten within an inch of her life, but left alive. Follow the KISS principle. Just because LE does not currently have the necessary evidence to satisfy their burden of proof in a court of law does not mean that this case is not solved. Or that it is some big conspiracy of drugs, money, bad cops & serial killers.

Since I am posting this I want to say that I am going silent with my research and will no longer be posting on any board, so don't waste your time directing questions to me because I won't be answering.

And if Bartt happens to read this I want to apologize to him for having to read scenarios thru the years such as proposed above in my first paragraph. I know that can't be easy to take, not only for him but for all the friends of these 3 women who really know what they were really like as people.

I remember hearing the whole "they know who did it, but don't have evidence" rumor literally days after the disappearence. It's pretty clear re-watching the 48 hours episode that law enforcement had no idea what happened to the women at that time. If there was no validity to the rumor back then, it really makes me question if there is any validity to it now.

I was under the impression that, as of 1994-1995 the case files pointed to one person and there was elusive proof. And this is a summation of evidence and tips.

I was under the impression that, as of 1994-1995 the case files pointed to one person and there was elusive proof. And this is a summation of evidence and tips.

Is this one person the one who is currently in prison. Is it the same person who lead LE to the farm in Webster Co. hoping to cut a deal on the charges he was facing?????

Garrison? I think it's him. But no one knows for sure.

From what I know of the perp and what the FBI describes, Garrison is a match.

Was Garrison just a guy they tried to convict to make the families happy? That I don't know. But he was at a hotel with the police for questioning. And the fact is, he escaped. Did he know the light at the end of the tunnel was there? I've also been told that if DNA linked Garrison, he'd be convicted by now. So I assume that the mysterious DNA found in the house was never linked to anyone. Because if they used 1/8 of a gram or whatever to convict Carnahan 25 years after the fact, they can surely do the same with the 3MW. Or at least hold that person for questioning.

True. I think this is possibly one of the creepiest cases I have heard of, the idea that three fit people just living their lives can be just disappeared in these circumstances. It really is chilling.

The second creepiest would be the McStay family. Missing for 2 1/2 years. Poof they're gone. No evidence of a crime scene and no contact with family and friends.

While the theory that this was a random sexual assault gone bad is entirely plausible it seems to me there are several holes in this scenario. I can see no reason why the perp or perpetrators waited so long to do their evil deed. Sherrill was available for whatever purpose they had in mind long before the girls arrived.

Recently I learned that human trafficking is something on the order of the second most prevalent crime after drugs which greatly surprised me. For all we know the women (most likely the girls) could have been taken out of the country and taken overseas where they still remain if not dead.

http://www.humantrafficking.org/updates/893

Mule...since you’ve followed this case since really the beginning, I’d like to backtrack on the 48 Hours program. Since we have some newer folks lurking, it might be interesting to point a few observations out.

As I’ve said before, this was 48 Hours and not 60 Minutes. Although Mr. Rather may have ‘fronted’ this program, it’s not in that genera. This is more about ‘storytelling’ and capturing emotion. It does that, as you can feel the initial despair and the emotional drain on everyone, including the detectives. But, a few observations...

- Little talk about the timeline, which as I understood was established early, although it may have fluctuated through time.

- No mention of the obscene calls.

- Little account for the ‘next day’ and the circus environment of the house and delay in calling law enforcement.

- Outside family and ‘associates’ no mention of any suspects, I take it the likes of Garrison and Cox were not serious considerations at the time.

- Local lady spotting a van being driven by Suzie, tell police ‘under hypnosis.’ Didn’t know that, is that ‘porch lady’ ? That colors my thinking a bit there, 20 years later that’s about all I know of her.

- Not clear how serious LE gave credence to the psychics. I have heard it said that they can be sensitive to subtle hints which many may ignore

- A few little curious things...about Sherill; no mention of her varnishing work that night, the late night phone call with her friend (and who that was)

A note about the ‘First Responders,’ many who are really close friends. I have been critical of those actions that next morning/day. However, I can see a 'reasonable person standard’ argument for it. As the accounts all state, Jannelle was a long time close friend of the two girls, with the attachments waning and strengthening through time. Janis McCall states in the program, about the next day, ‘...with the understand of getting together 8:30 AM the next day to go to Branson...’ or to that effect. I don’t know how she would know that unless Stacy had told her that the day before, it sounds more like the story from Jannell’s account of that next morning. When Jennell went to the open house, purses and cars there, stayed awhile (I’m unclear how long), called a few people, nobody knew anything, she concluded they left on their own to Branson. In personality behavior to all involved, this was not unusual. If it were my apartment in Springfield and you have a unit unlocked, with my wallet on the table and car outside, that’s a cue to call 9-1-1. My doors were unlocked one time...when I walked through them. Pick up the mail in line of site of my place in the middle of the day, apartment locked. When I would change plans, in the non cell phone world when I lived in Springfield, MO circa mid-90‘s, I would AWALYS call someone to tell them of my changes. But, we’re not talking about me.

I have come to believe these people were far more laid back, casual, carefree and less structured than I. Which, has no polarity in their characters whatsoever, it’s merely an observation which I believe goes a long way to explain these conclusions and behaviors I find so foreign. I know other people like this as well, in fact I dated a young lady when I lived there, close to Suzie’s age who was VERY much like this. I don’t think Sherill was quite like this, if nothing else being older and a parent. Let’s remember who made the call to LE, Ms. McCall, a parent as well.

While I’m still not comfortable with the excessive delay and what I perceive as aloofness and lack of seriousness with the discovery, I think taking the personalities into consideration will help in explaining those behaviors by those who knew the women well, as we’ve been told. I belive there’s more to this part of the story, but that may never come forward.

Mule...since you’ve followed this case since really the beginning, I’d like to backtrack on the 48 Hours program. Since we have some newer folks lurking, it might be interesting to point a few observations out.

As I’ve said before, this was 48 Hours and not 60 Minutes. Although Mr. Rather may have ‘fronted’ this program, it’s not in that genera. This is more about ‘storytelling’ and capturing emotion. It does that, as you can feel the initial despair and the emotional drain on everyone, including the detectives. But, a few observations...

- Little talk about the timeline, which as I understood was established early, although it may have fluctuated through time.

- No mention of the obscene calls.

- Little account for the ‘next day’ and the circus environment of the house and delay in calling law enforcement.

- Outside family and ‘associates’ no mention of any suspects, I take it the likes of Garrison and Cox were not serious considerations at the time.

- Local lady spotting a van being driven by Suzie, tell police ‘under hypnosis.’ Didn’t know that, is that ‘porch lady’ ? That colors my thinking a bit there, 20 years later that’s about all I know of her.

- Not clear how serious LE gave credence to the psychics. I have heard it said that they can be sensitive to subtle hints which many may ignore

- A few little curious things...about Sherill; no mention of her varnishing work that night, the late night phone call with her friend (and who that was)

A note about the ‘First Responders,’ many who are really close friends. I have been critical of those actions that next morning/day. However, I can see a 'reasonable person standard’ argument for it. As the accounts all state, Jannelle was a long time close friend of the two girls, with the attachments waning and strengthening through time. Janis McCall states in the program, about the next day, ‘...with the understand of getting together 8:30 AM the next day to go to Branson...’ or to that effect. I don’t know how she would know that unless Stacy had told her that the day before, it sounds more like the story from Jannell’s account of that next morning. When Jennell went to the open house, purses and cars there, stayed awhile (I’m unclear how long), called a few people, nobody knew anything, she concluded they left on their own to Branson. In personality behavior to all involved, this was not unusual. If it were my apartment in Springfield and you have a unit unlocked, with my wallet on the table and car outside, that’s a cue to call 9-1-1. My doors were unlocked one time...when I walked through them. Pick up the mail in line of site of my place in the middle of the day, apartment locked. When I would change plans, in the non cell phone world when I lived in Springfield, MO circa mid-90‘s, I would AWALYS call someone to tell them of my changes. But, we’re not talking about me.

I have come to believe these people were far more laid back, casual, carefree and less structured than I. Which, has no polarity in their characters whatsoever, it’s merely an observation which I believe goes a long way to explain these conclusions and behaviors I find so foreign. I know other people like this as well, in fact I dated a young lady when I lived there, close to Suzie’s age who was VERY much like this. I don’t think Sherill was quite like this, if nothing else being older and a parent. Let’s remember who made the call to LE, Ms. McCall, a parent as well.

While I’m still not comfortable with the excessive delay and what I perceive as aloofness and lack of seriousness with the discovery, I think taking the personalities into consideration will help in explaining those behaviors by those who knew the women well, as we’ve been told. I belive there’s more to this part of the story, but that may never come forward.

There is almost too much to address but I will try.

The "porch lady" was indeed hypnotized. I have that from someone who was there when it was done. From all known information she was someone at or near Grand Street where it "T'd" going north and south, necessitating the turnaround.

Garrison and the rest came later. First I heard of him was about 1994 or 1995. "48 Hours" was made in 1992.

I doubt if too much was made of psychics. But it made good television.

I can't recall with specificity about the obscene calls but they have been widely discussed and depending on whose account is discussed either/or Jannelle or Mrs. McCall erased some calls. I don't understand to this date how this was more or less accepted at face value. According to information I believe valid, the tape has been gone over with a fine toothed comb but evidently nothing of value was ever regained.

To my knowledge there is no contrary evidence that Sherrill was not in her home until about 11:15 PM. Anytime after that she could have been taken up until about 2:50 AM when the girls purportedly arrived up until 6 AM. To my mind anytime afterwards should be excluded as it would be well into quite visible sunrise and human activity in the area. So Sherrill could have been taken anytime after 11:15 PM and any or all three could have been taken up until 6 AM. But I am not convinced to an absolute certainty that the girls actually arrived there because of the placement of Suzie's vehicle off the pavement. I have never understood that although some will explain that away that she was intoxicated. If that was not true, why wouldn't she park on the driveway pavement as she must have parked there hundreds of times previously.

I would just go back to the accounts by the family members and friends that day. Even if we merely go on the video of Jannelle a few years back, the police were not satisfied with her account as she complained how they kept coming back to her asking the same questions as though they didn't talk to one another.

Bottom line is that I just don't believe the accounts given by these individuals passes the smell test. Something is wrong there; I just don't know what it is.

If we go by the timeworn principle that what happened just prior to a person's disappearance or murder and who they were with are the first places to look for answers. In my view this was not, at least publicly done in such a fashion as to inspire confidence that all stones were uncovered and examined. To state briefly, I simply don't understand the logic of this investigation. And I do not believe that all of the investigators agreed on the way it was conducted either.

There is almost too much to address but I will try.

The "porch lady" was indeed hypnotized. I have that from someone who was there when it was done. From all known information she was someone at or near Grand Street where it "T'd" going north and south, necessitating the turnaround.

Garrison and the rest came later. First I heard of him was about 1994 or 1995. "48 Hours" was made in 1992.

I doubt if too much was made of psychics. But it made good television.

I can't recall with specificity about the obscene calls but they have been widely discussed and depending on whose account is discussed either/or Jannelle or Mrs. McCall erased some calls. I don't understand to this date how this was more or less accepted at face value. According to information I believe valid, the tape has been gone over with a fine toothed comb but evidently nothing of value was ever regained.

To my knowledge there is no contrary evidence that Sherrill was not in her home until about 11:15 PM. Anytime after that she could have been taken up until about 2:50 AM when the girls purportedly arrived up until 6 AM. To my mind anytime afterwards should be excluded as it would be well into quite visible sunrise and human activity in the area. So Sherrill could have been taken anytime after 11:15 PM and any or all three could have been taken up until 6 AM. But I am not convinced to an absolute certainty that the girls actually arrived there because of the placement of Suzie's vehicle off the pavement. I have never understood that although some will explain that away that she was intoxicated. If that was not true, why wouldn't she park on the driveway pavement as she must have parked there hundreds of times previously.

I would just go back to the accounts by the family members and friends that day. Even if we merely go on the video of Jannelle a few years back, the police were not satisfied with her account as she complained how they kept coming back to her asking the same questions as though they didn't talk to one another.

Bottom line is that I just don't believe the accounts given by these individuals passes the smell test. Something is wrong there; I just don't know what it is.

If we go by the timeworn principle that what happened just prior to a person's disappearance or murder and who they were with are the first places to look for answers. In my view this was not, at least publicly done in such a fashion as to inspire confidence that all stones were uncovered and examined. To state briefly, I simply don't understand the logic of this investigation. And I do not believe that all of the investigators agreed on the way it was conducted either.

Now wait a minute. You're flip flopping here. You vehmetly defended one person on here, that has maintained that Janelle is being completely forthright, and that her actions and comments in the videos she has been interviewed in, ment nothing unusual.

But now you think differently? WHY???

I'm hearing crickets here Richard......are you not going to respond? It was a valid question.

All I can say is that, after watching the 48hrs video, I'm even more skeptical of the actions of some of the people covered in the video.

It just doesn't add up at all.

I wonder just how hard police "Leaned On" some of the people covered in the video. Or were some of them treated with "Kid Gloves", so to speak.

It would be interesting to have the opportunity to sit down with one or more of the original investigators, off the record, and have an open conversation about this case with them. I would love to get their perspective on what they think happened, and/or, who they consider to be at the top of the suspect list.

One more issue. The 48hrs video leaves out "ONE" person who was one of the last three people to see Susie and Stacy alive.

And this person "NEVER" gets talked about.......WHY??????

What makes this odd is that, the 48hrs video was done very shortly after the women went missing. Why was this person omitted from the story?

I can see this may be happening years later.....but right out of the gate........Why?

Was/is there a valid reason for this that I'm missing somewhere?

Found myself drifting on the greater Webleuths community and began to explore some other odd cases, particularly missing person, specifically women. One old case was of the three women from Chicago who went missing at a Lake Michigan beach in Indiana, July, 1966. In 1992, there are the three missing Oklahoma women who disappeared May 29, 1992, no connection to the 3MW case. The case of a six year old girl in Minnesota, also about this time, which resulted in a trial, but the State shot too high going for a murder conviction and the guy walked. More intriguing, was the case of Misty Copsey who went missing after a Fall fair near Tacoma, WA, September 17, 1992. In ALL these given cases, and many more, they were public disappearances, which is far more typical than what we see in the 3MW circumstance. Not that people aren’t abducted from private homes or disappear from them, but this element for one makes the 3MW a touch more unique. Of course there are different opinions; if the girls made it home, if the women left voluntarily, was the crime scene entirely staged, and so on.

Focusing on the Misty Copsey story and as a backdrop comparison, let’s examine the newspaper account(s). I know we have some people on this thread who are familiar with this case, but for the interested, here’s a contemporary capsule. Careful, it’s a bit voluminous.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2009/05/10/693191/the-stolen-child-part-i.html

This story has many elements we’ve seen in the 3MW case. We’ve got the drama, investigation missteps, citizen investigators...really one very colorful one, psychics, pictures where some have ‘visions,’ and a grieving mother. But, we also have many contrasts. The situations in this case are different, yes, but what jumped out at me is the coverage in the local paper. Now, compare the writing with what we’ve read in the News Leader. Quite a contrast. This is punchy, blunt, aggressive, people are ‘called out’ and disputes are public. Compared to the NL coverage which is more understated and subtle. Even the Kansas City Star doesn’t live up to this, but in their defense, it isn’t their town. This doesn’t mean the information is bad, rather just the style is far different.

Now...a note about newspapers and the NL, for those who don’t know. The News Leader has been owned by Gannett since the late 80‘s. Never worked for their print division, but I have their broadcast properties. They are not well liked in journalism circles, although I find the criticism against them a bit overstated and harshest among the ‘purists.' Most of their local dailies are in Middle America, a couple big city papers, but by and large not the Washington Post or LA Times crowd. As many large companies are, they are not big on independence and a bit shy about acquiring enemies. Some media markets reval in it; stir the storm, aggressively go at the establishment. Some media markets require it, you’ll never get attention without it; on the clock, 'tear your throat out,’ off the clock, ‘let’s play cards and have dinner.’ It’s business. Lastly, about business, I’m sure you all know the state of American print and dailies. It’s worse than you heard. All the hard working folks in this pioneering part of the business have my deepest sympathies.

Let me be clear, I am not for one second hinting 'old boys club,’ corruption, or saying reporting wasn’t accurate or misguided. Nor do we know if very public feuds would have yielded more answers or solved the case. I do think some of what has been said privately would have been public with a different media dynamic, shall we say. But, that’s not what that market demands. Springfield is a more intimate, tight and yes, very warm and welcoming community. Despite this tragedy, I’m sure most familiar with the area would strongly agree, it is a wonderful place to raise a family.

I was reading the very sad outcome of the recent search for the abducted girl Jessica Ridgeway today. The police provided a list of characteristics that the person who committed the crime might exhibit afterwards, in an attempt to raise public awareness of someone people may know that may be exhibiting these characteristics, in an effort to catch her killer.

Anyway, one of the characteristics that they listed really stood out to me and imeadiately reminded me of the 3MW case. And this is it:

"This individual may express an intense interest in the status of this investigation and pay close attention to the media. However, some offenders may quickly turn off media accounts or try to redirect conversations concerning the victims or their families"

Sound familiar???

Do you believe there is more than one perp?

I believe there were two involved. One I believe is in prison and one not. I think the crime is more sexual than of drug nature. The drug angle doesn't add up to me. Why commit the most notorious crime in Springfield and risk way more than what was ever at stake already? Just basic logical thinking there. I guess it's possible that drugs led to the perp knowing of the women. Of course this rules out Sherrill as the original target (as I don't think she was targeted for sexual reasons).

Look at all the missing women cases around Missouri from 1985-1995. They were mostly if not all rape/sexual and you can't find a single one being drug related.

I think the person hides in plain sight. I don't think this is perp is stupid enough to incriminate himself, nor do I think he's a crazy serial killer type that obsessed over the case. I think he tries to live life like nothing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95