The "Totally Off Topic" Thread Part 2.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awww, you should be sweetestmop.:blushing: Thank you for your kindness. I'll feel better this week when I get my roots done!:crazy:

I know what you mean by the younger ones and most of the time (in my experience) they hate being told.

jilly! I LOVE your humor! My kind of humor! lol!:clap:

Hey, I had my roots done on Wednesday! :dance: You're so right, it does wonders, doesn't it?

I'd say we're probably arout the same age... 2 hot chicks!:silenced:
Those 'younger ones' have nothing on us, do they now?

jilly, have a wonderful day!

OK....well I have to tell you about my experience yesterday.

I arrived at a client's house at 8am. Her garbage was all over the carport and the large garbage can totally caved it. BEAR. I kept a lookout all day but saw nothing. She lives in a forest with a ravine at the back. I hurried to my car afterwards.

Last nite, I went for my usual walk. Just about home and there's this guy standing still in front of me. As I get closer, he said "there's a BEAR across the street who's just knocked over their garbage can". We have big wheely bin garbage cans which are racoon proof.

This guy doesn't know what to do and I said, "well, they're supposed to be just afraid of us and we are of them" so I keep walking slowly and the guy follows me. There is a regular sized street between us and the bear. I get to see the garbage can and the backside of the bear. His head is in the garbage can lying on its side. All of a sudden, the bear's head pops up and locks eyes with me. His head is HUGE.:eek: I turn away and walk very very quickly but quietly. I'm only about 5 houses from home.

My heart was pounding and when I got to my house, I looked back and Thank God, it had stayed with the garbage.

So that was my excitement for the nite. Guess, I won't be going on my neighborhood walk until they go into hibernation!

jilly! I LOVE your humor! My kind of humor! lol!:clap:

Hey, I had my roots done on Wednesday! :dance: You're so right, it does wonders, doesn't it?

I'd say we're probably arout the same age... 2 hot chicks!:silenced:
Those 'younger ones' have nothing on us, do they now?

jilly, have a wonderful day!

Good morning sweetestmop! I thought I was here talkin' to myself!:crazy: You're right! Those 'younger ones' ain't got the seasoning:) I think the modern term for us is 'babes'.LOL.....and thank God for hairdressers keeping us at '40':dance: Fortunately, only my hubby gets to listen to the microwave heating up the hot pack 5x a nite for the ole back!:crazy:

You have a GREAT day too!!!

OK....well I have to tell you about my experience yesterday.

I arrived at a client's house at 8am. Her garbage was all over the carport and the large garbage can totally caved it. BEAR. I kept a lookout all day but saw nothing. She lives in a forest with a ravine at the back. I hurried to my car afterwards.

Last nite, I went for my usual walk. Just about home and there's this guy standing still in front of me. As I get closer, he said "there's a BEAR across the street who's just knocked over their garbage can". We have big wheely bin garbage cans which are racoon proof.

This guy doesn't know what to do and I said, "well, they're supposed to be just afraid of us and we are of them" so I keep walking slowly and the guy follows me. There is a regular sized street between us and the bear. I get to see the garbage can and the backside of the bear. His head is in the garbage can lying on its side. All of a sudden, the bear's head pops up and locks eyes with me. His head is HUGE.:eek: I turn away and walk very very quickly but quietly. I'm only about 5 houses from home.

My heart was pounding and when I got to my house, I looked back and Thank God, it had stayed with the garbage.

So that was my excitement for the nite. Guess, I won't be going on my neighborhood walk until they go into hibernation!

Jilly, how terribly scary! However, I had to snicker, since you're okay.
My parents also have a heck of a time with bears where they live. They just don't put any food-related garbage outside in the container until it's the morning of the day for pick up. If they need to store garbage somewhere until that day, they put it in a container in the garage, or! Mom's been known to put a bag in the garage fridge to store it, LOL! Mr DD's eyes widened when mom told us that, haha. They don't keep anything in there, they basically just have it for the freezer space.

But the funniest part - when my kids were old enough to know what bears were, and we were visiting, we had a code word my parents came up with - we were unloading the trunk upon arrival just after dark, and were parked in an area where the bears were sometimes seen after dark. My mother just calmly recommended that I move the car closer to the house, so as not to bother "the pets." Probably 15 years now, whenever we visit, we ask how my parents "pets" are, etc. Good family joke now. :crazy:

Good to see you, Jilly! :blowkiss: Be careful!

Ms. Jilly - you be careful about those bears ! Hungry bears are not friendly bears. Is this a normal like yearly thing where you live ? Black bears ? Have lots of bear questions...:)

Jilly, how terribly scary! However, I had to snicker, since you're okay.
My parents also have a heck of a time with bears where they live. They just don't put any food-related garbage outside in the container until it's the morning of the day for pick up. If they need to store garbage somewhere until that day, they put it in a container in the garage, or! Mom's been known to put a bag in the garage fridge to store it, LOL! Mr DD's eyes widened when mom told us that, haha. They don't keep anything in there, they basically just have it for the freezer space.

But the funniest part - when my kids were old enough to know what bears were, and we were visiting, we had a code word my parents came up with - we were unloading the trunk upon arrival just after dark, and were parked in an area where the bears were sometimes seen after dark. My mother just calmly recommended that I move the car closer to the house, so as not to bother "the pets." Probably 15 years now, whenever we visit, we ask how my parents "pets" are, etc. Good family joke now. :crazy:

Good to see you, Jilly! :blowkiss: Be careful!

LOL!! That's funny! "pets". haha!
About the garbage - YES - this is what we're supposed to do and MOST of us do - curbside on garbage day. Ours is in the garage until pick up day. You get the odd one who's too lazy or something to get up in the morning and put it out so they put it out the night before. Of course it's all over their yard the next day, so they have to get up anyways. I think they are slowly learning!:D Many people just have carports and they seem to be ok if the garbage is tucked away - but this JERK has his bin at the side of his house which is wide open. I drove (hehe) past the house today and see his garbage is all over the yard still. So....I guess the bear will be back.

Funny enough, I went to a client's yesterday morning and their garbage was all over the carport. The garbage can was caved in - looks like the bear sat on it while he ate! haha. They only put paper garbage etc out in the carport and they smartly have a locked shed out back for all food garbage. Turns out one of the other caregivers had chicken for one of her lunches and threw her bones in with the paper.:loser:

Good to see you too Dep!

Ms. Jilly - you be careful about those bears ! Hungry bears are not friendly bears. Is this a normal like yearly thing where you live ? Black bears ? Have lots of bear questions...:)

Hey RC!:) Yes they are black bears. If they were grizzly, I don't think I'd be here right now, lol. Very common at this time of year. Having said that, I've only seen about 2 in 23 yrs and that was from the inside of my house.

They are hungry - supposed to be looking for berries! But they often get sidetracked with peoples' garbage. If you call animal control they put up a sign in your area saying 'Bear Sighting'.:doh: If there's a park or school around they'll come out and shoot a tranquilizer into it and haul it up to the mountain and release it. Trouble is, some of these bears are hightailing it back and actually beating Animal Control down the mountain. If the bear does come back though, they kill it and then there's an uproar. Can't win.

Hi jilly! gee you have bears too?
We've had them in huge abundence this summer too, all around in our neighborhood and others too... residential neighborhoods!
One did a number on one of our bird feeders! And we hav neighbors that have had their garbage cans tirned over and ravaged through!
although I haven't had the up close and personal experoence you've had!
Be careful!
The black bears have been " making the news " around here, and in Asheville and Brevard too!

Sometimes our little dog, Cricket just starts barking at night( she stays in doors, or she might become a bear snack) she runs to the doors, back and forth barking and growling, and hubby and I look at each other and say " Bears".
I'm hesitent to go walking out around dusk, or later! don't want to run into one face to face... you be careful jilly!

Hi jilly! gee you have bears too?
We've had them in huge abundence this summer too, all around in our neighborhood and others too... residential neighborhoods!
One did a number on one of our bird feeders! And we hav neighbors that have had their garbage cans tirned over and ravaged through!
although I haven't had the up close and personal experoence you've had!
Be careful!
The black bears have been " making the news " around here, and in Asheville and Brevard too!

Sometimes our little dog, Cricket just starts barking at night( she stays in doors, or she might become a bear snack) she runs to the doors, back and forth barking and growling, and hubby and I look at each other and say " Bears".
I'm hesitent to go walking out around dusk, or later! don't want to run into one face to face... you be careful jilly!

OMG!! Can't believe you have them too! Yes...they LOVE birdfeed. Weird huh?
My next door neighbor has a plumb tree and they like that too although I think the racoons beat them to it.
It's unfortunate that we have to keep our pets in. We even made our cat an indoor because we have coyotes as well. Not far from us is a baseball park and there are oodles of coyote lairs. People go up there to check on their missing cats because the coyotes leave their collars outside the lair.:eek:
Yes...I'll be careful - no more evening walks around here for me. It ticks me off because now I'll have to drive somewhere to walk.:eek:

Hey RC!:) Yes they are black bears. If they were grizzly, I don't think I'd be here right now, lol. Very common at this time of year. Having said that, I've only seen about 2 in 23 yrs and that was from the inside of my house.

They are hungry - supposed to be looking for berries! But they often get sidetracked with peoples' garbage. If you call animal control they put up a sign in your area saying 'Bear Sighting'.:doh: If there's a park or school around they'll come out and shoot a tranquilizer into it and haul it up to the mountain and release it. Trouble is, some of these bears are hightailing it back and actually beating Animal Control down the mountain. If the bear does come back though, they kill it and then there's an uproar. Can't win.

Jilly,

That isn't fair, killing the bears because they come back for food. One strike and they are out ? Naw that just stinks. There are other ways to deal with the issue than killing the bears I think. You can tell the powers that be I don't like it - it is :crazy:

Jilly,

That isn't fair, killing the bears because they come back for food. One strike and they are out ? Naw that just stinks. There are other ways to deal with the issue than killing the bears I think. You can tell the powers that be I don't like it - it is :crazy:

Unfortunately RC they are ruined when they get into the people garbage. They become dangerous. What I disagree with is the way they just shuffle them up the local mountains. They should be taking them further away - Lord knows there's enough wilderness around here.
Of course it's not the bears fault either. We are becoming overpopulated and they keep clear cutting on the mountain for new housing developements. People gotta have that View ya know.
Most of us look after our garbage well. It's those few that should be fined heavily for leaving it out or putting it out the night before garbage day.

<snipped>

I have to admit it felt "wrong" to type grilling? Why? Because being a California gal most of my life, we always called it BBQ'ing. When I got here, I was told noooo, there's a difference between BBQ and "grilling out" on a grill. :banghead: Of course it was done in fun, and now I understand their wanting to be specific about the two, but hey, it's all barbequing to me. Shhhhhhhh

Looky here, missy.
BBQ has sauce. And THATS the difference.
I guess you gotta come to Missourah to get ejumacated.
:laugh:
"Show me"... get it? LOL

Looky here, missy.
BBQ has sauce. And THATS the difference.
I guess you gotta come to Missourah to get ejumacated.
:laugh:
"Show me"... get it? LOL

yes, certain people sure get "touchy" about BBQ vs. grilling :laugh:
But, I love BBQ...and I love grilled foods (there, how was that?)....so yes! I'll drive up north your way, just so you can cook dinner. Got plans for this weekend?! :D

:crazy:

Just bumping this to see what y'all are doing!
Happy fall...it's still in the 90's here and the low last night was 75! I'm wanting true fall weather, please. :crazy:

:blowkiss: And Happy Thanksgiving to you too raisincharlie, and to all of you Sleuthers!

Have a great day!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends! Hope you celebrate the day with lots of yummy food, family and friends!

Happy Thanksgiving, RC . I raise a toast to better days ahead !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat