The "Totally Off Topic" Thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
jilly said:
LOL! I can relate! My mum is very lonely and when she visits from out of town it is simply incessant chatter. I can leave the room, get some laundry together and when I get back she hasn't missed a beat. I do love her though!

lol...yeah, i love mine also; she's a trip...i'm not as close to her as i am my Daddy....i've always been able to 'chill' w/Daddy, better than Mama....but it's all good i guess?...lol

is a Daddy's girl...always have been, always will be :blushing:

BarnGoddess said:
I would love to learn dressage. I just can't afford it. BTW, Charlie, you may want to check in at home. Big storm coming. We expect it any time now. Predicting gusts of 60 mph and 7 - 11 inches of new snow through tomorrow. Here we go again. We still have snow on the ground from the first snowstorm just before Christmas.

The BarnGod and a friend and neighbor went down to La Junta today where they had it really bad. Said farmers are talking about their dead cattle and horses lost in those storms. Drifts are still 4 feet high in town. They went looking for a horse at the sale there. Friend has Thorougbreds he races. Needs a good track pony. This is the third sale they've hit and not bought anything yet. Last week I kicked him because he didn't spend $1200 for a seasoned ranch horse that cut and reined like a champ. They're really going cheap. He could have bought a great Percheron for $250 that rode and drove single and double. We could sell that horse in the Spring for $2500 at least at the big draft horse sale. We lucked out big time when an Amish farmer came in with a trailer load of Alfalfa loafs. (4x4x8) We bought the trailer load for $70 per loaf. They are advertised here for $165. He wanted an empty trailer because he was purchasing farm implements to pull behind a Pioneer forecart. So, we may get through the winter with enough feed after all.

Have fun on the Autobahn, Charlie, cant' wait for you to get back. Love your updates.
Sitting in an airport now but I did call in - my wife is reporting that they will have heavy rain and they are already under a tornado watch with strong winds in excess of 40 mph gusts up to 60 with temps up near 60 - so not sounding very good at home but she is very weather wise and will boot all the horses outside if tornados come. (Too many animals hurt or killed if caught in barns that get hit - better to turn them loose).

Fox update - my wife is watching and Mom and babies are still by the pond and are fine - the babies are starting to roam out of the thicket a bit under Mom's watchful eyes - sounds good !

There were large loses of stock animals here and western oklahoma during that ice storm - no power to get them water...very disturbing - hope you make it on feed and hay sweetie - its hard to even think of not having enough. Take care !

Samiya said:

Now that's a wicked photo!.....and I can see it lol :crazy:

Gonna show my hubby when he gets home. Been a while since we 'sniffed the fumes', lmao. Actually last time was the dragsters, and we had a guy sitting behind us who was louder than the cars while explaining things to his missus!! So funny, because she was sitting with her hands over her ears.

Hugs
Sami
Luv - the Australian Grand Prix in Melborne is 21 days, 10 hours and around 30 minutes from now. F1 fumes are the best !

I do sorta like Danica's car - the blue would be better if it was a nice metal flake Atlantic Blue. Yes it is rather wicked looking - they really shine under the lights at night and the new motor spec'd for this year has a deeper sound - the sound is good !

raisincharlie said:
Sitting in an airport now but I did call in - my wife is reporting that they will have heavy rain and they are already under a tornado watch with strong winds in excess of 40 mph gusts up to 60 with temps up near 60 - so not sounding very good at home but she is very weather wise and will boot all the horses outside if tornados come. (Too many animals hurt or killed if caught in barns that get hit - better to turn them loose).

Fox update - my wife is watching and Mom and babies are still by the pond and are fine - the babies are starting to roam out of the thicket a bit under Mom's watchful eyes - sounds good !

There were large loses of stock animals here and western oklahoma during that ice storm - no power to get them water...very disturbing - hope you make it on feed and hay sweetie - its hard to even think of not having enough. Take care !
Well, it was a quick 24 hour massive blizzard. It's still blowing, but at least the snow stopped. It's moving east now. The smarta** BarnGod thought he'd go out and start plowing us out. He gave up and came back in. Half hour later his work was for nothng. Our dirt road out to the highway as 4 foot drifts in spots. The wind was about 45 mph with gusts up to 65. Without power all day until just a little bit ago. Phones out, but we do have our cell phones.

Glad to hear the momma fox is doing well. I know I always looked forward to seeing the babies in our area each day going and coming home from work.

Supposed to be warmer and sunny tomorrow. I'm hooking up a team and putting the blade behind the cart and tyring my hand at clearing some drifts so I can get out. I'll ride one horse down the road a way to see how hard it'll be.

Keep checking in. I got hooked on Anna Nicole, so I'm catching up on Michelle now.

Anyone in the path of this storm, take care.

BarnGoddess said:
Keep checking in. I got hooked on Anna Nicole, so I'm catching up on Michelle now.

QUOTE]

I got caught up in Anna Nicole too, although I never really 'liked' her (tabloids fault!) I am glad she will be buried next to her son Daniel. I couldn't possible imagine rejoicing over the birth of one child, only to have another die within such short amount of time, let alone at her bedside. It certainly made me cry :(

Sami

Samiya said:
BarnGoddess said:

QUOTE]

I got caught up in Anna Nicole too, although I never really 'liked' her (tabloids fault!) I am glad she will be buried next to her son Daniel. I couldn't possible imagine rejoicing over the birth of one child, only to have another die within such short amount of time, let alone at her bedside. It certainly made me cry :(

Sami
Sami,

My wife told me this legal battle over that poor woman's body was on CTV and it was one of the most disgusting things she ever watched. She was totaly ticked off with it and thought everyone of them to include the judge were idiots and several other choice words which I am not permitted to post here. I hope at some point some sense of loyalty and love for this woman will strike these people and they will allow the body to be put to rest very soon.

I really had no idea who Anna Nicole was but darn this whole thing is despicable IMO. The media is putting the Enquirer and Globe to shame on this one. Very sick.

Hello everyone!

Curious1, thank you so much for your kind words and remembering that pm ... really appreciate it. I've come back "in" very quickly because I just received the sweetest e-greeting from close ((((((((hugs, close)))))))) and I know many of you have been thinking of Jason over the last month - Vincent was killed on 30th January... :blowkiss:

Well here's an update - sorry didn't spellcheck - dashing as usual ...:

We introduced Jason to CEO of top university (this chap a good business & social friend of ours) - and he offered Jase a hardship scholarship (through to Masters!!!) free. An amazing gesture - took Jase 2 - 3 weeks to weigh up what he wanted to do and he's accepted!!!!

He'll be staying here; hubby and I offered him our home, not to worry about rent,etc ... he was over the moon about that. Today, he's gone with the legal dept of his dad's company to finally get the death certificate, which means V's body will be released and we're having a cremation on 4 March at 1pm.

The death cert took time as there were no injuries on V's body; turns out he had a seizure or stroke ----> causing the car accident.... Jason himself is a brain-tumour survivor - he was 6 or 7 when it was detected and is now 18 and apart from taking medication everyday - is as fit as a fiddle.

The last month has been long, the sadder days are over - and some days he's quiet, but never inconsolable (written with respect). He's glad to reach his dad's goal of a uni degree; and hub and I have taken our very small savings and put down some cash (US$ 7000) for a decent second hand 4X4 - and V's friends and colleagues are topping it to 16 thousand K - which will include full insurance, 2 major services and 700 US$ on a petrol card. Petrol here is really cheap - like about 40 US cents a liter - and there is no tax; also, cars here are cheaper than other countries - so we're all sure his 2nd hand SUV (that's the same as a 4X4, right???) will be a reasonably good, solid vehicle.

This is 4X4 country - very hot, rugged and sandy terrain means everyone drives a 4X4 ... and we're going to include a tow-hitch so he can take that Christmas?welcome Home present that V had proudly waiting for him (a Raptor Quad bike) .... out into the dunes. God knows - but heck I cried when I saw that thing under the black canopy cover with that mega huge bow on it - Vince prepared it all before he died.... even the cam-corder was posied and ready to shoot on the dining room table near the front door to "capture the expression on Jason's face when he see's it...". Jase stood silent for, what seemed like an age, holding a corner of the canopy...

Oooowh!!! sad... Oh, yes ... V's life-policy was covered for accidental death - so with this being a stroke - the policy is void because that's natural causes... aside from a little here and there, we've got to clear V's credit cards - the insurance on the vehicle he had the accident in .... everything.... what a learning curve. What a lesson in life for us all ...

Well, fact is he's got a home; and a great education ahead of him, met fantastic people, is surrounded by support and will have some form of independence with his 4X4 (when we reach target) and .... he's got us. Jase met us on previous trips, he knew we were his dad's "family" here .... and that continues.

Lol ... now to end off: we're not swamping him or claiming to be surrogate parents nor are we ever trying to replace his folks - we're good friends and he knows that....he's made all of his own decisions .... however I've never been in this position - so any of you great mom's out there that wanna pm me ideas, suggestions .... about .... er.... you know : here's one mature 18 year old - ideas and comments are most welcome (and it's better here, from y'all, than some other, strange forum...). He's thrilled with the Uni thing and the Professor took him deep sea diving out at sea last Friday - and that's when Jase made up his mind to take the s/ship. It's a fantastic uni and Lordie-Lord, I've already found myself having to attend an important faculty/uni lecture tonight :eek: .... is this regular??? heh heh ... guess so!

Jase gets on with hubby v well - and gosh, he's a well balanced, polite, astute and lovely young man ... sometimes he strums his guitar Hotel California is one of his best ... a prankster, too. Helping me hoover this morning, he sucked my shirt tails into the nozzle, lol. I got such a fright - he bailed over laffin ....

My time has been multiplied. I surely do miss y'all and thanks again for the emails and pms and words in this forum.

God bless,

Polks x

PolkSaladAnnie said:
Jase gets on with hubby v well - and gosh, he's a well balanced, polite, astute and lovely young man ... sometimes he strums his guitar Hotel California is one of his best ... a prankster, too. Helping me hoover this morning, he sucked my shirt tails into the nozzle, lol. I got such a fright - he bailed over laffin ..../QUOTE]

Hee, sounds like he will fit right in over there. :D

I am glad that things are going as well as they can. You and DH are very special folks for taking Jase in and making him feel so welcome. Sounds like you guys are doing fine. Keep up the good work and don't let it overwhelm ya.

:blowkiss:

Polk,

Very glad you stopped in for an update - thinking about you but don't always know what to say. Sounds like things are going well after all the hardship - each day will bring new surprises and new smiles. Just wanted to say I think it is indeed a wonderful thing you are doing for young Jase - he sounds like a good young man -I suspect he will bring you many smiles and much love in the days to come. Live each day to its fullest luv - sending you and yours good thoughts! ;)

RC

THANK YOU for checking in Polk:)...you'd been on my mind.....sounds like things are somewhat 'falling into place' huh?.....Jase is very lucky to have you & hubby, imo.....sounds like a good guy too, bless his heart....

love,
Close :blowkiss:

tks very much, guys.

"Ain't no mountain high enough ...."

Support from friends (incl y'all) and networking now makes this a joy to live out. Everyone felt the same - many hearts and homes have been opened and there are millions out there with even less: we think of them, too.

Hugs x x x

I haven't been reading everything here so I'm stunned.

Huggles for you Polk.

Love
Sami
*advertiser censored*

Hey Pack_fan,

One of my boys set up a link for me - I'm watching NC State (ladies) playing Florida State - pretty good game - NC State is playing very well. Gillian (sp) Goring is flat getting the job done! Will keep watching-wishing them well for Kay Yow.

Goring has a double double 15 minutes into the game !

Wow Goring ends up 22 pts 19 rebounds - NC State Wins 76-49 kicked you know what. VA plays later against Duke - NC State will play the winner of that game. Excellent game by the Wolf Pack ladies - dangerous team, athletic and totally inspired. Beat Duke (I think Duke will beat VA) !

I am going to be awake all nite ! Tennessee next - don't know if you have ever seen Candice Parker play but she has skills beyond her brother Anthony ! Good thing it is raining and ugly here and no school tomorrow ! These ladies are exciting !

raisincharlie said:
Hey Pack_fan,

One of my boys set up a link for me - I'm watching NC State (ladies) playing Florida State - pretty good game - NC State is playing very well. Gillian (sp) Goring is flat getting the job done! Will keep watching-wishing them well for Kay Yow.

Goring has a double double 15 minutes into the game !

Wow Goring ends up 22 pts 19 rebounds - NC State Wins 76-49 kicked you know what. VA plays later against Duke - NC State will play the winner of that game. Excellent game by the Wolf Pack ladies - dangerous team, athletic and totally inspired. Beat Duke (I think Duke will beat VA) !

I am going to be awake all nite ! Tennessee next - don't know if you have ever seen Candice Parker play but she has skills beyond her brother Anthony ! Good thing it is raining and ugly here and no school tomorrow ! These ladies are exciting !
What a game, looking forward to tomorrow. Women play at 2, men at 3:30. Guess my Saturday is going to be shot.

How's the trip going and when are you coming back?

I don't keep up with College women, but I really don't like my *advertiser censored** kicked Charlie. I am an alumni of FSU. Go 'Noles !!!!! I also support CU women.

pack_fan said:
What a game, looking forward to tomorrow. Women play at 2, men at 3:30. Guess my Saturday is going to be shot.

How's the trip going and when are you coming back?
I have been awake all night watching these games ! Vandy/FLa is on now, last one for a while. I will be pulling for NC State - I was very impressed ! They have great heart -guess that is why I prefer college sports ! The time difference makes it so I get to see many of the tourney games via live streaming video-I like that but I'm not getting much sleep because of it !

Have been riding morning and afternoon sessions everyday but the rest of it has pretty well been nasty. It has rained every single day since I've been here but at least it has been in the mid 40s so I should not complain much. The food is great and even though I drink very little, not much better than a good old Henniger Pils 2000 now and then - just one liter, otherwise I can't walk straight ! I want the rain to stop for Sunday, going to Bremerhoven to get my car - in bad need of a good drive in this beautiful country side ! The Westfalia area is definitely beautiful country.

I will be flying back to Miami on March 23rd, going to Homestead for the IRL opener on the 24th and finally heading home on the 25th. Home, what a nice word! Its not as bad this time, a poster here gave me some very good advice about webcams so I get to see and talk to my wife and boys a couple of times each day. This has been a blessing (thank you so much CaSun) ! Can you tell I'm punch drunk - no sleep...sorry for going on and on.

:laugh: :laugh:

BarnGoddess said:
I don't keep up with College women, but I really don't like my *advertiser censored** kicked Charlie. I am an alumni of FSU. Go 'Noles !!!!! I also support CU women.
BarnGoddess,

I didn't use to keep up with the womens game until Jackie Stiles came to SMS - my boys both love basketball and just had to go to every game to see Jackie play. They attended her basketball camps and are still nuts about her. Because of that I became a huge fan of the women's game, as well as the men. I watch very little professional sports at all. Am a total fanatic for March Madness however.

The CU women - use to be really good when Ceal Barry was there - what has happened ? I recall watching them when Becky Hammond played at CU - spunky little gal - excellent ball player !

Okay - Go Noles !!! ( unless playing against the Lady Vols ) :D

Just got to put my :twocents: in here. I'm not a basketball fan, but I do love my Lady Vols!

Alice253 said:
Just got to put my :twocents: in here. I'm not a basketball fan, but I do love my Lady Vols!
What's not to love about the Lady Vols ? Coached by the all time winningest Coach in college bball history, male or female, and CP3 on the floor ! The Lady Vols are the very foundation for every sports opportunity opened to young women at the college level - Pat Summit should be very proud of everything she has done for young ladies in sports across this country.

Besides that, those young ladies could school any number of persons in how to play basketball ! Great team and here is to #7 this year ! Go VOLs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pack_fan,

That was, hands down, a great game ! Will be pulling very hard for them tomorrow to take the ACC title - those young ladies deserve it and I suspect they want it more for Coach Yow than for themselves. Simply amazing, I have to tell you I was shocked to see them take out Duke - but very glad they did !

Go Wolfpack Ladies !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member