The "Totally Off Topic" Thread

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, enough of this North Carolina basketball garbage, LOL. I am going to tell you a story, so bear with the length. It's my college basketball experience.

My ex and I lived in Maryland from 1963 to 1978. One year he bought 2 season tickets to Maryland basketball. We had a tennis business and he thought it would be nice to take a customer with him. He went to Miami, FL on a trip and I had the tickets and took one of our employees to the game. First game I'd ever gone to. Back then, and I don't know how it works now, but the season until January was always outside games. ACC didn't start until January. It was the very first game of the ACC games (one at home and one away with each team) and I can't remember if it was UNC or NC State, but Cole Fieldhouse held 17,000 plus standing room. The team at that time had Brad Davis, John Lucas and a transfer from Georgetown, Brian Magid. The game went down to a tie. First overtime, tie. Second overtime, coach Lefty Driesell called a time out at 1 second to go and Maryland down 2 points. Everyone under the Maryland basket. Brad Davis (point guard) at the opposite end. Sends ball to Brian Magid at half court. Magid shoots and swishes ball in the basket. Ties the game. I'm telling you the entire place erupts with noise you couldn't believe. I am on my feet screaming. Unfortunately, Maryland lost by one point after that. I really never cared about basketball before that. I was absolutely hooked and never missed a game after that.

The pros bore me. Yes, I have gone to pro games. As a tennis business we advertised in the Capitol Center and sometimes received tickets to events. We were given Bullets tickets and sat under the basket in Row AAAA. That was row one and have had players skid into our portable chairs. At that close range you can see and hear the physical contact and get drenched with sweat. To me, pros are all about the last five minutes of the game.

Here's a link I found for Brian Magid. I'm not the only one who thought he was super.

http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2006/01/31/shooting-gallery/

This is not the question but the best pre-game shooter in ACC history was a guy by the name of Brian Magid that played for Maryland in the late 70’s. Fans would show up early just to watch his shooting exhibition from long range. I’ve never seen anybody close with this range and accuracy. He was truly amazing. Unfortunately, his athletic skills were more pedestrian and he never became much of a player. He transferred from Maryland after a couple of years, I think either American or George Washington.

More:

Magid is a name I haven’t heard in years. He certainly could shoot though. Here’s some stuff from his high school’s web site:

Brian Magid

Following Browne is former Blazer sharpshooter Brian Magid (class of 1975). Magid holds Blair’s all-time career scoring record, at 1,191 points. He also holds the mark for highest single-season scoring average, with 24.5 points per game. Magid was a leader on the 1975 Blair team that won a state championship. Then, Magid joined the basketball team at the University of Maryland, where he shot an astounding 63 percent from the field as a freshman.

After his sophomore year, Magid transferred to George Washington University, where he finished his college career. Magid was drafted by the Indiana Pacers in 1980 but never played in the NBA, instead opting to play pro ball in Israel after the Pacers waived him.

I think they are wrong, Magid transferred from GW, but then again, I could be wrong and it was the other way. BTW, Lefty, as coach then was a real hoot. He broke his foot stamping on the floor and running up and down the sidelines. The cast didn't stop his antics.

OK, that's my basketball story. I'm just not into it anymore.

Barn Goddess,

Outside of open wheel racing and an occasional St. Louis Cards game - I don't care for pro sports at all. I listen to the Cards games but really don't care to watch. College sports IMO is so much better - they play the game for all the right reasons.

NCAA picks - March 15th Men's Tourney

Midwest

Butler
Maryland

South

Ohio State
Xavier
Louisville
Texas A & M

East

North Carolina
Marquette
Vandy
Washington State
Boston College
Georgetown

West

Duke
Pittsburgh
Indiana
UCLA

Well it fricking figures, Duke could mess up a ...good dream. Boo Duke - you wienies !

WOOHOOOOOOOO

WE HAVE NEW KEYS TO OUR HOME AFTER SOMEONE CHANGED THE LOCKS!

WELCOME HOME PEEPS!

hugs
Sami
*advertiser censored*

A special thankyou to our hardworking websleuths mod's, Chicoliving especially for pm'ing me over at ctv to let me know what was going on :)

Hugs for Chico :)

Wasn't that a miserable experience? I read over at CTV and some of those peeps are mean as a snake. I am writing all the mods email addresses down so if this happens again....I won't have as bad withdrawals and won't go to CTV!!! LOL!!

WOOHOOOOOOOO

WE HAVE NEW KEYS TO OUR HOME AFTER SOMEONE CHANGED THE LOCKS!

WELCOME HOME PEEPS!

hugs
Sami
*advertiser censored*

A special thankyou to our hardworking websleuths mod's, Chicoliving especially for pm'ing me over at ctv to let me know what was going on :)

Hugs for Chico :)

GOD BLESS all you mods!!! I may not post a lot, but I thought I was gonna DIE the first few times I couldn't get in here! Then I read over at LR it wasn't just me. Scared me to death. CTV is insane and it makes me mean! I don't need to go there.

Hey, rc - I saw your post about the BB game - what about those LADY VOLS??? They're still in the running, too!

GOD BLESS all you mods!!! I may not post a lot, but I thought I was gonna DIE the first few times I couldn't get in here! Then I read over at LR it wasn't just me. Scared me to death. CTV is insane and it makes me mean! I don't need to go there.

Hey, rc - I saw your post about the BB game - what about those LADY VOLS??? They're still in the running, too!

Nothing would make me happier than to see the Lady Vols and Pat Summit take number 7 - they are overdue ! My choice for this year, as they have been for several years actually !

What can one say about Candice Parker - that young lady is absolutely awesome ! Sweet !

I feel your pain!!!! I was in the same pain. I registered at CTV to PM a member to get info as to what happened. At least the response gave me hope that all would soon be well.

It was like rubbernecking at an accident. Couldn't avoid looking. A few serious posters (recognized some from here) trying to discuss seriously, only to be interrupted by total nonsense, resulting in getting knowledgeble posters banned. I even registered at LR and that was total insanity! Ah well, it was entertainment. Now back to the serious stuff.

Charlie, I still have a shot at it. We all signed up for the radio station's pool. I have Florida, Oregon, Kansas, UCLA. Then North Carolina, Georgetown, Ohio State, Texas A&M and Memphis in the sweet sixteen. I'm looking for Florida to Beat NC in the finals.

whoa, i watched the entire 9 minutes....actually got chill bumps....now i'm in a very pensive mood.....(thanks, RC...i needed it)

Close,

Have you ever seen that movie - "Iron Jawed Angels" The whole movie is intense and a true story. I found it very archaic, can't begin to imagine that women were actually treated that way.

no i haven't, but will make a point to see it.....

I'm not much for chick flicks but I have to tell you Iron Jawed Angels was pretty awesome. It is the true story of Alice Paul and Lucy Burns who fought valiantly for the right for women to vote and after tremendous personal sacrifice and true dedication - finally won that right. It is a tale that will totally run your emotions every which way.

Nothing would make me happier than to see the Lady Vols and Pat Summit take number 7 - they are overdue ! My choice for this year, as they have been for several years actually !

What can one say about Candice Parker - that young lady is absolutely awesome ! Sweet !

Gosh, I know - she is just beautiful to watch. I don't mean she looks beautiful - the way she plays is beautiful. I probably couldn't pick her out of a line-up if she wasn't playing ball!

Gosh, I know - she is just beautiful to watch. I don't mean she looks beautiful - the way she plays is beautiful. I probably couldn't pick her out of a line-up if she wasn't playing ball!

I know what you mean Happy - she is very gifted, athletic, and incredibly smooth. Makes it look effortless. She is a joy to watch - there's passion in that young lady's game. I have no doubt she could school me quite easily!

Alexis Hornbuckle is no slouch either when she has her game on - and Bobbitt - that little one is lightning quick - whew ! This is the best team Tenn has had in a while - hope they live up to that #1 Seed. I don't see anyone left in the Dayton bracket that should give them any kind of trouble unless it would be Ole Miss - they are very underated at a 7 seed.

:dance:

YAY we're back!!!!

I think everyone should post a post on the countdown thread to show their appreciation for our Tricia and mods!

:clap: :clap:

hey Happy....saw you were 'here' online & just sent you a pm...then you went poof before i could send it, lol....

anyway, hope all is going good your way:)

edited to add....i just read an article over in the Jury Room .....TN is listed as #5 in the top 12 most dangerous places to live...eek!!

No. 5 -- Tennessee
Tennessee residents might sing about love for country and neighbor, but lag behind in showing it. The state earns the No. 2 slot for most assaults. Maybe that's just how country boys work out their issues.

Rankings in Crime

Murder: 9
Rape: 20
Robbery: 7
Assault: 2
Burglary: 4
Motor Vehicle Theft: 13

http://money.aol.com/special/dangerousstates06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics