The Verdict Waiting Room

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marissa Calligeros ‏@marissa_sc 1m
The jury has requested copies of more pages from Justice Byrne's summing up #badenclay @brisbanetimes

Emmy Kubainski ‏@emmykubainski 2m
Day 2 of jury deliberations. Jury are back in the court with a question for the judge. @7NewsBrisbane #badenclay

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 1m
The juror also tells Justice Byrne she's interested in a paragraph referring to manslaughter. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 55s

The juror says it related to the judge's instructions about considering whether the accused was "lying under oath". #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 53s

The juror clarifies she is referring to a paragraph about lying under oath #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 39s

Solicitor Peter Shields has a quick, quiet chat to Gerard #badenclay

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 2m
#badenclay jury back in. Justice Byrne trying to clarify which bits of his summing up they want for their deliberations. @abcnews

Marissa Calligeros ‏@marissa_sc 2m
Justice Byrne's summation is being displayed to the courtroom #badenclay @brisbanetimes

Can someone find the "I did not kill my wife" paragraph please? I want to know what all this confusion is... Thanks

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 2m
The juror is now clarifying that she's interested in a paragraph regarding the accused allegedly lying under oath. #badenclay

Marissa Calligeros ‏@marissa_sc 1m
One juror has told the court they would like to see part of the summation relating to Baden-Clay's alleged lies #badenclay @brisbanetimes

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 1m
Justice Byrne is going to re-read parts of his summing up. #badenclay @abcnews

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 22s

The judge is reading a passage from his summation on whether lies prove guilt of murder. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 41s

The judge is reading again comments from his summing up #badenclay

"Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 1m

The juror says they would like a paragraph referring to manslaughter and another where Gerard said "I did not kill my wife". #badenclay"

Ruh roh.

don't like this bit , but girls u got a female foreman for the jury

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 48s

The judge has told the jury to return to their deliberations. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 31s

The comments related to Gerard's facial injuries, and what it means if the jury concludes he lied about them #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 40s

The jury has left the court to continue deliberations #badenclay

Elizabeth Tilley ‏@liztilley84 49s
Jurors want to see parts of judge's summary regarding accused allegedly lying under oath & manslaughter @SkyNewsAust #badenclay

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 51s
Justice Byrne re-read sections of his summing up regarding lies. Jury now returns to deliberations. #badenclay @abcnews

Katrina Blowers ‏@katrinablowers 52s
Justice Byrne is re-reading directions to jury about alleged lies #badenclay told about marks on his face and the implications of those.

Can someone find the "I did not kill my wife" paragraph please? I want to know what all this confusion is... Thanks

The former real estate agent remained calm, with a measured voice, with his hands folded in front of him, and reiterated his denials to Mr Fuller’s minute-by-minute scenario.

Mr Fuller: “You killed your wife, Mr Baden-Clay.”

Mr Baden-Clay: “No, I did not.”

The prosecutor put to him that he’d attacked her and the “only way” she could respond was to lash out and claw his face, leaving angry red slashes on his right cheek.

“That is not true,” Mr Baden-Clay answered.

Mr Fuller: “Probably as you smothered her and took her life from her?”

Mr Baden-Clay: “That is not true.”

“I never did anything to physically harm my wife in any way, ever.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...dnt-kill-allison/story-e6frg6nf-1226974910462

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 1m
Justice Byrne reads a passage from his summing up about alleged lies by #badenclay about his cheek injuries.
The jury has been asked to continue to deliberate. #badenclay

Marissa Calligeros ‏@marissa_sc 39s
Justice Byrne has re-read the part of his summation relating to allegations Mr Baden-Clay lied under oath #badenclay @brisbanetimes
The juror has clarified they are interested in a paragraph regarding Mr Baden-Clay allegedly lying under oath #badenclay @brisbanetimes

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 48s

The judge has told the jury to return to their deliberations. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 31s

The comments related to Gerard's facial injuries, and what it means if the jury concludes he lied about them #badenclay

oow like this bit:happydance:

Murder And Manslaughter

Chapter 28 Of The Criminal Code (Qld) Sets Out The Offences Relating To Homicide.
Unlawful Homicide is set out under section 300, which makes any person who unlawfully kills another guilty of a crime, which is either murder or manslaughter, according to the circumstances of the case. Section 291 and 293 set out what constitutes an unlawful killing. Once it is established that the killing is unlawful it can then either be classified as murder (defined in s302 and punished in s305) or manslaughter (defined in s303 and punished in s310).

Unlawful Killing
Section 291 makes it unlawful to kill any person, unless the killing is authorised or justified by law. Section 293 defines killing as ‘causing the death of another, directly or indirectly, by any means whatever’.

There must be a causal connection between the act by the accused and the death. In R v Pagett (1983) 76 Cr App R 279 it was held that the accused person’s act need not be the sole cause of the victim’s death, so long as it contributed significantly. An example of this is in Royall v R (1991) 172 CLR 378. Here the crown argued that the deceased died in one of three ways; the third was by jumping from the window to escape a well founded apprehension that she would be subjected to further violence from the accused. The High Court held that an act of self preservation, which caused the death, does not break this causal connection.

In R v Blaue 60 Cr App R 271 it was held that the death of the victim was caused by loss of blood as a result of the stab wounds inflicted by the defendant. The victim, due to her religion had refused a blood transfusion. The defendant was found to have killed the victim.

Murder
Section 302 sets out the circumstances which a person who unlawfully kills will be guilty of murder.

If the offender intends to kill or cause grievous bodily harm to the person killed or some other person;
If the death is caused by means of an act done in the prosecution of an unlawful purpose and the act is of a nature likely to endanger human life;
If the offender intends to do grievous bodily harm to some person for the purpose of facilitating the commission of a crime or for the purpose of facilitating the flight of an offender who has committed or attempted to commit such a crime. The crime must be such that the offender may be arrested without warrant;
If death is caused by administering any stupefying or overpowering thing for either of the purposes mentioned in paragraph (3);
If death is caused by wilfully stopping the breath of any person for either of the listed purposes.
In R v Moloney (1985) 81 Cr App R 93 it was held that the mental element in murder consists of an intention to kill or cause serious injury and not merely of foresight that death or serious injury will be a probable consequence of their act.

A person who is found guilty of murder, under section 305, is liable to life imprisonment or an indefinite sentence (Part 10 Penalties and Sentences Act 1992). Further, if the defendant is being sentenced on more than one conviction of murder, or another offence of murder is being taken into account the person may not be released from imprisonment until a minimum of 20 years has been served.

Manslaughter
Section 303 provides that a person who unlawfully kills another under such circumstances as not to constitute murder is guilty of manslaughter. A person who is guilty of Manslaughter under section 310 is liable to a maximum sentence of imprisonment for life.

http://www.awbrisbanelawyers.com.au/c-murder-manslaughter-homicide-criminal-lawyers-brisbane.html

Marissa Calligeros ‏@marissa_sc 55s
"If you conclude that the accused lied because he realised that the truth would implicate him in the killing of his wife ... #badenclay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orlando1124