The White Ford 250 Pick Up Truck Towed from the Family Home

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I worked for quite a few years for a company that sold alts and strs. So I know more than I ever wanted to know! And yeah, a hammer comes in handy! LOL But.... if you don't KNOW THAT... and have done the battery charge thing, then what's you're alternative? Tow it, right? I'm not saying that is what happened here. I don't know.....none of us do! RUMOR, RUMOR, RUMOR..... Ich! I just saw a lot of people saying that they couldn't figure out why a vehicle would have to be towed from your own driveway, I guess my answer should have been: Call your local tow truck operator and ask. It's more common than one might think!

But, was the vehicle somewhere in a damp, swampy location, might all leave us wondering, (very starter and solenoid unfriendly) but then again, I can't believe LE wouldn't be ALL OVER THIS!

There is no reason I can think of for LE to say they did not impound it, if they did. LE said it was towed by the family for mechanical reasons, is that not correct?

Is the link to that quote by LE in this new thread yet?

If the starter is bad, sometimes it's just a bad spot, and you can rock the vehicle or tap the starter with a hammer, and then it'll start.

It'd be interesting to know how the truck was diagnosed to have a bad starter when, if the vehicle won't start, it could be the starter, the battery, the alternator, the solenoid.

Can't believe they called a tow truck for a starter when it could have just been a loose battery cable that just needed to be tightened.

[bbm]

some of us in the world aren't *ahem* mechanically inclined (like me :blushing: )
if my car wouldn't start, I would call a tow truck
and actually have at least twice that I can remember

[bbm]

some of us in the world aren't *ahem* mechanically inclined (like me :blushing: )
if my car wouldn't start, I would call a tow truck
and actually have at least twice that I can remember
Correct.. My husband once had his truck towed bc he could not get the flat tire off LOL Just couldn't get that sucker off!!

"Investigators also towed a truck from the Horman property and searched a neighbor's home."
http://www.koinlocal6.com/default.aspx
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Multnomah County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand:

Lindstrand said a white pickup truck towed from the Horman property isn't part of the investigation. The Horman family had tried to drive the truck to the grocery store, found that the starter was dead and called a tow truck, she said.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ay_in_kyr.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again...

Quote: "Investigators also towed a truck from the Horman property and searched a neighbor's home."

How is discussing a broken-down truck that was towed to a garage from the home, a home where LE agents have been staying 24/7 for the past two weeks, and a truck that an officer of the law verified wouldn't start; How is discussing this going to help find Kyron??! Really, I'd like to know...

WHERE IS KYRON?!

ok, I just remembered a third towing incident of ours and we had it towed from our driveway so not sure why that's in question either? :waitasec:

if a car won't start and we want it fixed, then the tow truck needs to pick it up & take it to be fixed, whether it's in the driveway or somewhere else kwim?

and if it was somewhere else, maybe it kept stalling out or sputtering so they knew they couldn't drive it safely but maybe the tow truck driver got enough juice to get it up the ramp ... or something

I'm no mechanic but it seems there are simple explanations to the questions I'm seeing

BUT the idea that the mechanical problems could've stemmed from being in water is intriguing

Maybe Sheltered Nook Road is where the car stalled, hence why they knew the car would not move without being towed? We don't actually know that this truck wasn't already having problems, even before Kyron's disappearance. It's not like that would have been something shared or discussed with news reporters during the frantic search. I can understand a little bit of the suspicion, yet the daily things in life are going to go on including car/mechanical problems. I also agree with LadyL that many mechanically-challenged people would just have the car towed from the driveway. But, of course, the driveway part is irrelevant anyway now that we know the car was actually stalled on a local road.

Thing is, starters don't usually just go bad in one fell swoop. You start getting an indication early on. Once you get that indication, then you need to get it on to the mechanic. I don't think that Kaine would be driving a truck with a bad starter back and forth to work. Just doesn't make sense. Like you said, the timing is odd.

I've driven more than one vehicle with a bad starter for a couple of weeks, doing the things I mentioned in the post above. Sometimes just a tap on the starter will turn the brushes enough that it'll start. Same with rocking the vehicle.

Now it it were the alternator--I certainly wouldn't pull out of my driveway with a bad alternator.

Like I said, I'm just curious who diagnosed the starter problem, and why they didn't just tap the starter and take the truck in. That rollback ride is gonna run a hundred dollars minimum. But maybe they're not as concerned with money as I am. haha.

Don't most people have towing included in their car insurance?

If you watch the video, the tow truck driver doesn't chain the truck to winch it until it's ON the flatbed. He's not standing by the truck running the winch. And you don't hear the winch running, which you would! Winches make a loud whirring noise.

The Ford was driven onto the flatbed until the rear tires were at the flatbed edge, and then the driver put the Ford in park, attached the chain (you can see him do this in the video on the flatbed), put the truck in neutral, and then winched it the rest of the way. That's how it's done. There's just no other explanation; if you watch the video. My opinion.

My question is... if it's not being driven up the ramp then why are the lights on? :waitasec:

It pulled onto the truck bed. When my car was taken to the shop the tow guy turned the lights on. Maybe for safety?

ok, I just remembered a third towing incident of ours and we had it towed from our driveway so not sure why that's in question either? :waitasec:

if a car won't start and we want it fixed, then the tow truck needs to pick it up & take it to be fixed, whether it's in the driveway or somewhere else kwim?

and if it was somewhere else, maybe it kept stalling out or sputtering so they knew they couldn't drive it safely but maybe the tow truck driver got enough juice to get it up the ramp ... or something

I'm no mechanic but it seems there are simple explanations to the questions I'm seeing

BUT the idea that the mechanical problems could've stemmed from being in water is intriguing

If it's the starter, it won't stall. It just won't start.

I had a fairly new car years ago that wouldn't start when I tried to leave the post office, waited a few minutes, tried again, wouldn't start, waited about 10 more minutes, tried again, still wouldn't start.

Called my husband, he came out and it started right up. No reason why the Horman's couldn't have had the same experience.

The reason some of us are looking at this with a critical eye is because LE is releasing nothing investigative about this case, so they surely wouldn't say that they towed the truck for investigative purposes.

Assistant DAs were there today, too. On the same day that the truck was towed. Putting it all together, it deserves evaluation with a critical eye, in my opinion.

Thing is, starters don't usually just go bad in one fell swoop. You start getting an indication early on. Once you get that indication, then you need to get it on to the mechanic. I don't think that Kaine would be driving a truck with a bad starter back and forth to work. Just doesn't make sense. Like you said, the timing is odd.

I've driven more than one vehicle with a bad starter for a couple of weeks, doing the things I mentioned in the post above. Sometimes just a tap on the starter will turn the brushes enough that it'll start. Same with rocking the vehicle.

Now it it were the alternator--I certainly wouldn't pull out of my driveway with a bad alternator.

Like I said, I'm just curious who diagnosed the starter problem, and why they didn't just tap the starter and take the truck in. That rollback ride is gonna run a hundred dollars minimum. But maybe they're not as concerned with money as I am. haha.

I've had my fair share of car problems in the past and have had cars towed. I belonged to an auto club and they would pay for the towing so this might be the case here. With everything going on it seems to me that they'd want the problem fixed the easiest and quickest way and better to have it towed than be out there trying to get it going and then worry it could stall out on the way to the garage.

VB

I've had my fair share of car problems in the past and have had cars towed. I belonged to an auto club and they would pay for the towing so this might be the case here. With everything going on it seems to me that they'd want the problem fixed the easiest and quickest way and better to have it towed than be out there trying to get it going and then worry it could stall out on the way to the garage.

VB

Yes, they have a child missing. I doubt the Hormans have the energy to try and fix a vehicle themselves when it can easily be repaired by a mechanic.

The reason some of us are looking at this with a critical eye is because LE is releasing nothing investigative about this case, so they surely wouldn't say that they towed the truck for investigative purposes.

Assistant DAs were there today, too. On the same day that the truck was towed. Putting it all together, it deserves evaluation with a critical eye, in my opinion.

I agree.....I am not pointing any fingers as I still dont know what to beleive.....BUT I am certain we arent being told the full story....and so therefore do not trust that this was not part of their investigation because no one knows what/who they are investigating and they sure aint letting us know.....MOO

Per this post below and a few others with a similar quote, an investigator stated that the car being towed was not a part of the investigation. LE goes on to explain that the family tried to drive the car to the store, which would explain why it had to be towed from that random spot on Sheltered Nook Road, but that the car died on the way. If LE really wanted to keep people hanging, they wouldn't have said anything at all about the car being towed. Instead, they have made an effort to clarify to the media (and the public in general) what happened to the truck and that there wasn't a connection.

According to Multnomah County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand:

Lindstrand said a white pickup truck towed from the Horman property isn't part of the investigation. The Horman family had tried to drive the truck to the grocery store, found that the starter was dead and called a tow truck, she said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/tips_come_from_far_away_in_kyr.html

If you watch the video, the tow truck driver doesn't chain the truck to winch it until it's ON the flatbed. He's not standing by the truck running the winch. And you don't hear the winch running, which you would! Winches make a loud whirring noise.
I just watched again. I can definitely hear it over the reporter talking. And at 5:15, you can see him hook it to the front axle. I don't see a driver in the truck either (but admit that's hard to determine).

Another thing. The Ford is not in the driveway or yard. It's in Sheltered Nook Road. How did the Ford get to the road, thus to the tow truck, if it would not start?

Not a mechanic, but had (what the mechanic claimed) was a bad starter. It began with intermittent issues that progressively grew worse.

Per this post below and a few others with a similar quote, an investigator stated that the car being towed was not a part of the investigation. LE goes on to explain that the family tried to drive the car to the store, which would explain why it had to be towed from that random spot on Sheltered Nook Road, but that the car died on the way. If LE really wanted to keep people hanging, they wouldn't have said anything at all about the car being towed. Instead, they have made an effort to clarify to the media (and the public in general) what happened to the truck and that there wasn't a connection.

And as pointed out on the other thread, there's that little chain of custody thing too.

http://www.koinlocal6.com/default.aspx

Snippet

It has been 12 days since Kyron Horman was last seen. Investigators are searching new areas and providing more pictures to try to solicitate more tips from the public. Investigators also towed a truck from the Horman property and searched a neighbor's home.

FWIW, that doesn't appear to be on their site any longer. I read through their coverage, and did a search. Can't find it and the thumbnail with the caption is gone.

No answer to the email tho'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back