"this young lady has definitely got a bit of a criminal past."

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No, the two cases are not related. The aggravating circumstance in this case would be Caylee's age most likely. If a person had stolen money or property in the process of killing their victim then a economic crime could be an aggravating circumstance.

Thanks.

IF they found evidence that she bought something that was used to kill or dispose of Caylee's body, could THAT tie the 2 crimes together?

LI Mom, I'm the one who mentioned that frequently you hear LE refer to criminals with the terms of: "this gentleman"

This has been bothering me for over a decade! And I've posted about it repeatedly. Just stop doing it, geez... It's especially irksome if you've been a crime victim, like I have.

"All I know is that there's additional charges because this young lady has definitely got a bit of a criminal past." Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary said.

http://www.wesh.com/news/17377729/detail.html

Huh? WHAT does this comment mean? What a weird statement to make to a reporter?

Prior to all of this, she did not have any problems with the law did she? And what kind of explanation is that for current charges? Is he implying that they are charging her frivolously because of current suspected criminal activity? I would think they would charge based on current evidence, not criminal past.... and that frivolous charges would harm, not help... confused!!

This comment as me going.... :waitasec:

I think her mother's phone call about her stealing from her (yet refusing to give the police any documentation, and I also think Casey has a juvie record - police would be able to access that information. Sealed does not mean REMOVED - it means the public cannot access it. It is open to the courts and to law enforcement.

hes talking about the fact that she has been stealing money checks and other things for a long time, even if never charged. I checked everyones criminal history ga ca kc and la on the orange county clerk of courts public website minor tickets for kc, wonder about maybe when she was a minor, would be sealed though

Yes, it would be true, but she can also have a history from where they used to live before and also could have used her middle name as her first, your mind has to be very open when it comes to Casey she is one evil minded person from what I can see.

Yes, it would be true, but she can also have a history from where they used to live before and also could have used her middle name as her first, your mind has to be very open when it comes to Casey she is one evil minded person from what I can see.

I'd love to find out she is known to have used the name Zenaida to commit other crimes.

She would need also to have "acquired" a second soc. sec. number...

jmho:)

I think her mother's phone call about her stealing from her (yet refusing to give the police any documentation, and I also think Casey has a juvie record - police would be able to access that information. Sealed does not mean REMOVED - it means the public cannot access it. It is open to the courts and to law enforcement.

Depends. A motion to seal can also include a motion to expunge. Expunge does mean remove.

Bolded--That's true. If there is a juvie record, it would be expunged under the Florida statutes when Casey turned 24 or 26 years old, depending on the seriousness of the offenses and if she complied with the legal criteria. In light of the fact that Casey is not old enough to have met the statutory elements of expunging the record:

(2)(a) If a person 18 years of age or older is charged with or convicted of a forcible felony and the person's criminal history record as a minor has not yet been destroyed, the person's record as a minor must be merged with the person's adult criminal history record and must be retained as a part of the person's adult record.

The above law should apply.

From FL Stat. 943.0515

Depends. A motion to seal can also include a motion to expunge. Expunge does mean remove.

:wave:

Hi Themis. I guess I was "on a stroll" to get the statute when you posted that post with which I obviously agree.:)

My son had a "littlie incident" that got expunged. It is only expunged in the event he applies for a job or anyone does a background check. But guess what..If the FBI or Army are doing a search, there it is. It doesn't completely go away. It is hidden, but it is still there.

Oh God, that's a pet peeve of mine also....

using terms like 'young lady' or 'gentleman' when talking about people who are accused of awful things.

It's so ABSURD and innapropriate.

Sheriff Beary was trying to be polite. I'd love to know what he REALLY wanted to call her...
At least he didn't give her the title of "Steel Magnolia". :rolleyes:

My son had a "littlie incident" that got expunged. It is only expunged in the event he applies for a job or anyone does a background check. But guess what..If the FBI or Army are doing a search, there it is. It doesn't completely go away. It is hidden, but it is still there.

Absolutely - sealed does not mean erased - it only means it's not available to the public - poilce and courts can access it. So it can dog her until the day she dies.

Remember also that Lee asks KC about Caylee's disappearance in a jailhouse visit and states, "is this like before?" I've always wondered what she had done before that was similar to Caylee being missing now.

You would need a crime of violence to show a propensity toward violence. Fraud and larceny, being crimes against property and not against a person, are in a different league.

That said, because the bad acts are so prejudicial and lack probative value, they would not be admitted.

The prosecutors aren't psychiatrists or experts in mental health. If they want to expound a theory based upon breaks from reality, they will use expert testimony and not a history of larceny.

You can abuse someone's rights without laying a finger on them...

I've seen juvenile records brought out in sentencing when someone was eventually convicted as an adult, not always related to the charge being sentenced but to show that this person had a lengthy record. I don't know how the law treats these records in Florida, but here proceedings in Family Court, which includes any criminal charges against a minor, are nearly always closed - all it takes is a motion from any attorney. And the records are always closed to the public unless they're brought out in Circuit Court because of a later felony charge.

OK, I'm going to ask this question again:

Can she be convicted first of the recent check forgery charges, then tried for the murder, using the first conviction as proof of a criminal past in the murder trial?

this would be a smart strategy for the prosecution, also will the prosecution be able to bring testimony and evidence into the murder trial about the fraudulent activity if its still pending....

I've seen juvenile records brought out in sentencing when someone was eventually convicted as an adult, not always related to the charge being sentenced but to show that this person had a lengthy record. I don't know how the law treats these records in Florida, but here proceedings in Family Court, which includes any criminal charges against a minor, are nearly always closed - all it takes is a motion from any attorney. And the records are always closed to the public unless they're brought out in Circuit Court because of a later felony charge.

A friend was convicted of a felony and they were prepared to bring in any juvie records to add to the length of the sentence and she was in her 70's. There were none.

she is not stupid either !

You would need a crime of violence to show a propensity toward violence. Fraud and larceny, being crimes against property and not against a person, are in a different league.
I understand. But my point was primarily that the fraud charges show that her disregard for others was long-standing.

I don't expect stuff like that to be admissible, but it gives the people piecing things together a greater understanding of the type of person they are dealing with. For example, it might give medical experts a foothold so that they can attempt to unravel Casey Anthony.

In terms of being directly used to convict someone, no. They're not a big deal. But in terms of identifying the type of person we're dealing with, the prior bad acts say quite a lot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back