Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

sds71

Reaction score
The Boston Coastguard told the BBC on Monday that an operation to find it was under way.
It is not clear how many people, if any, were on board at the time it went missing.

Small submersibles occasionally take paying tourists and experts to view the wreck of the Titanic.
Multi day trips to the wreck cost tens of thousands of dollars and one dive to Titanic, including both the descent and the ascent, reportedly takes around eight hours.

The famous shipwreck sits 3,800m (12,500ft) down at the bottom of the Atlantic. It is about 600km (370 miles) off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada.

Thread #1

Are all of these ships and equipment going to arrive in time to make a difference, or are they just planning to be there if needed to find and retrieve the sub and victims?

For now it’s a rescue mission.

Once they are presumed dead it will be a retrieval operation if even possible.

I really do hope they do NOT risk the lives of others to retrieve bodies. MOO

Not meaning to offend anyone but it’s just not worth it IMO.

I hope this isn't too gruesome, but at that depth and pressure, if the sub imploded there wouldn't be any real remains to speak of. Human flesh and bone would be completely pulverized in a split second.
Human beings are very soft and fragile. If they died in that way, they'll be five more added to the hundreds whose mortal remains already lie there.

I'm not ashamed to say that I had an obsessive interest in the facts of the wreck when I was a teenager, but even if there had been a safe cheap way for me to see it then and I wasn't deathly afraid of going in a sub, I wouldn't have forgotten it's a graveyard, not an amusement park. I feel strongly that how we treat our dead says a lot about us as human beings, and in my opinion, the wreck of the Titanic (and most other wrecks) count. They're places where people died and mostly weren't recovered for burial on land. It's a tomb.

If the Titan is intact, they might find a way to salvage it and the crew. But if it experienced catastrophic hull failure, there won't be much to salvage. The titanium domes, perhaps. But I doubt there will be much to recover which was once human, and I feel deep sympathy for their families for not getting that kind of closure that comes with having a person's remains. I wish I could believe in miracles like some of you do, but it's not in my nature. It's perhaps sadder to expect the worst with no reprieve, but I know the overwhelming joy I feel when I'm proven wrong. So, here's to me hopefully being proven wrong.

MOO

possibly the older men would offer to die so that the 19 yr old could live- people might get charitable with their last breaths. They are brave in some way to have attempted this, so IMO, maybe they all just toughing it out without drama.

Self preservation is an extreme instinct.

I doubt anyone will give their life for the others. JMO

This may sound horrible, but at this point, I am hoping they imploded because then they wouldn't have been aware. The thought of them trapped, and trying to bang as they run out of air, seems like such a hellish situation.

1687364128924.png

From left, Hamish Harding, Shahzada Dawood, Suleman Dawood, Paul-Henri Nargeolet and Stockton Rush Obtained by CNN

One expert interviewed in this article says that the submersible is likely to be on the surface or at the seabed- not in between.

This article also discusses the use of Flyaway Deep Ocean Salvage System (FADOSS) which can retrieve objects up to 60000 pounds from the water. "It's a lift system with a winch and cable designed to retrieve "large, bulky, and heavy sunken objects" according to the US Navy.

Last edited:

True in general, but there is also a father and son in there together and it’s very possible he may want to save his son’s life. JMO

Very sad to think of that possibility especially if they don’t end up being rescued in the end. :(

Here's what rescuers are dealing with as they scramble to find the missing sub, according to a diving expert​

Barry Lipsky, a public safety diving instructor with Team Lifeguard Systems, outlined how the search for the missing submersible is so complicated for divers attempting to carry out rescue operations.

Visibility is "next to nothing" at some of the ocean depths where the search is taking place, Lipsky said, and rescuers are relying on sonar as their "best tool to identify any location."

"As a diver, when we go into the areas which we have to go ... we call it blacker than anything you can possibly imagine," he said.

He said that "the rescuers themselves have their own anxiety that they need to contend with" while trying to "stay very focused and keep the morale high."

When asked how the submersible passengers could help themselves right now, Lipsky said they should focus on staying clam and "reduce their breathing" since the oxygen is limited.

"There's really nothing they can do except for ... (the possible) banging on the side of the sub, which the sonar buoys will pick up if they are making that kind of a noise," he said. "The sonar buoys will pick that up and that way they can possibly locate this sub in time before the oxygen runs out."

possibly the older men would offer to die so that the 19 yr old could live- people might get charitable with their last breaths. They are brave in some way to have attempted this, so IMO, maybe they all just toughing it out without drama.

I can easily imagine the father willing to sacrifice his life so his son might live.

However, IMO the logistics make this scenario fairly impossible.

How would one sacrifice one’s life there? It’s impossible to just stop oneself from trying to draw breath. Is there some plastic bag there to place over one’s head? And if the father were willing to do something of the kind to save his son, then what? Those few extra breaths of oxygen would be shared by everyone in the crew, not just his son.

Or if there were the horrific scenario of enough oxygen but not enough food, how would they even cannibilize someone else to provide food for the others?

I cannot envision any such scenario in that limited space, with only the equipment aboard meant to provide thrill-seekers with a close-up of Titanic.

My hope lies only in the regularity of the banging at intervals. If not at specific intervals I would not think the noise is man- made.

I’ll reiterate my thought from an earlier post of mine, that whether they survive or not, the fortunes of these families might in the future be used for the benefit of those in need. And perhaps to provide more equipment for the entities that are doing all they can to locate and potentially rescue them.

JMO

I have felt the most likely scenario is that a hull failure caused implosion before they got all the way to the wreckage. But after hearing last night about the banging, my stomach turned. If they are indeed alive, they most likely know their rescue at those depths is a long shot. Ugh.
I think the rescue team doesn’t really think the white rectangle object is related or they would have aggressively checked it out and we would have heard by now. I doubt they’re surfaced because they have several ways to signal in that case, and they haven’t. :(

What are their several ways of signaling they are at the surface? I know they were using cell phones on the way down, but then that communication stopped.

The heartrending search to locate and rescue the Titan submersible before it runs out of its four-day air supply will be the focus of a new fast-turnaround documentary on U.K. broadcaster Channel 5.

Titanic Sub: Lost at Sea” has been scheduled to air on Thursday at 7 p.m. local time. The doc will be presented by 5 News host Dan Walker.

The ITN-produced documentary promises to “go beyond” news coverage and bring viewers up to date, while examining the wider context about the voyage, its passengers and the fascination with the Titanic shipwreck. The film will also talk to experts and look at the rise of extreme tourism.

Ian Rumsey, managing director of content for ITN, said: “This program will chart everything from the exploration itself, to the rise of extreme tourism, to the rescue attempts, but above all it will tell a very human story that has captured the nation which is about 5 people, all with families, who are trapped at the bottom of the ocean. Our expertise and heritage in fast-turnaround documentaries and reputation for responsible filmmaking means we always treat such stories with great sensitivity.”

What are their several ways of signaling they are at the surface? I know they were using cell phones on the way down, but then that communication stopped.
I would imagine that the mother ship would have satellite or cell phone capabilities of some sort ?
Sorry to say but it would be foolish to not have extra means of communication for such a venture.

For now it’s a rescue mission.

Once they are presumed dead it will be a retrieval operation if even possible.

I really do hope they do NOT risk the lives of others to retrieve bodies. MOO

Not meaning to offend anyone but it’s just not worth it IMO.

I'm also concerned about the risks to those who are attempting retrieval/rescue.

Also, I don't blame any of those who built, designed, engineered or simply chose to be on this submersible... because I believe all were aware of the risks. People make choices every day based on personal reasons/goals.... some are bad, some are good, some are deadly. Personally, I wouldn't choose to do this BUT until someone provides proof there was something nefarious in the endeavor, I can't blame any of them. (jmo)

Human beings are very soft and fragile. If they died in that way, they'll be five more added to the hundreds whose mortal remains already lie there.

I'm not ashamed to say that I had an obsessive interest in the facts of the wreck when I was a teenager, but even if there had been a safe cheap way for me to see it then and I wasn't deathly afraid of going in a sub, I wouldn't have forgotten it's a graveyard, not an amusement park. I feel strongly that how we treat our dead says a lot about us as human beings, and in my opinion, the wreck of the Titanic (and most other wrecks) count. They're places where people died and mostly weren't recovered for burial on land. It's a tomb.

If the Titan is intact, they might find a way to salvage it and the crew. But if it experienced catastrophic hull failure, there won't be much to salvage. The titanium domes, perhaps. But I doubt there will be much to recover which was once human, and I feel deep sympathy for their families for not getting that kind of closure that comes with having a person's remains. I wish I could believe in miracles like some of you do, but it's not in my nature. It's perhaps sadder to expect the worst with no reprieve, but I know the overwhelming joy I feel when I'm proven wrong. So, here's to me hopefully being proven wrong.

MOO
I have always been fascinated with the Titanic and its story, both of its sinking and its discovery. I have visited the traveling museum exhibit a couple of times. I have wondered if I were given the opportunity, would I go down to see it? I am conflicted. I certainly wouldn't see it as an amusement park but very much as a tomb, a somber place. It would be like visiting Gettysburg or Verdun. I am loath to ban things or prohibit people from doing things. But I do think it would maybe be best if people just no longer went down to Titanic, especially after hearing the one guy say their sub actually settled onto the deck. Lets just let it be. Let us remember her story, but let its remains be reclaimed by the sea in peace and solitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia