DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I have to agree. When I read the timeline I thought why in the world would they hold back on calling for help? So what if it was a false alarm or a quick retrieval …better than this late start..with possibly 5 fatalities.
JMO
The loss of communication has happened many times previously and probably didn’t arouse worry at that point. Pretty much everyone interviewed who has done this excursion spoke about a loss of communication during their trip. They waited until they were due to resurface and When they didn’t, they immediately called the coast guard. In hindsight yeah, they should have called before they did but can you imagine if every time they lost communication they called the coast guard and this level of effort was deployed, only for the sub to resurface as it had done so all the times before?

Desperately sad.

Apologies, this has probably already been addressed but the threads are moving so quickly. I'm aware they lost communication 1hr 45 into the dive - does anyone know how often communications were expected? Is it safe to assume something happened at 1hr 45 into the dive? Or would it be normal to go 10-15 mins without contact between the two? That would be useful to gauge whether it ever made it to the wreck or not.

Don't know if anyone answered, but the Titan had an automatic sonar ping that went up to the Polar Prince every 15 minutes.

DM reports that a "distress ping" went out after the 1:45 ping but I do not see that reported anywhere else. At any rate, every 15 minutes, the Titan pinged the Polar Prince; the Polar Prince turned the ping into geographic coordinates and sent a sonar-based text of that position back to the Titan, which is how they were to find the Titanic.

And that is the total of the communications system (one way pings from Titan to PP; sound-based text signal from PP to transponder on the Titan.

In hindsight, it sounds very inadequate.

IMO.

Sad, but since it's debris and not intact, I assume that means they went fast which is good.
I agree with you. Honestly, if they were still alive, somehow, in pitch black and freezing, hungry, thirsty, and terrified... seems like that would be so much worse, IMO, than going quickly. I didn't have much hope for rescue to begin with :'(

Snipped from the above:
2020 – US and UK agree treaty to protect Titanic wreck

Any thoughts on how the Titanic wreck is being protected?

Not allowing sight seeing excursions should be a no brainer, imo. To many risks involved and it isn't a tourist destination. I would think the families of the lost loved ones would agree.
I’m hesitant to say that it’s inherently disrespectful to simply view the wreckage of the titanic. It would definitely be disrespectful to treat it as a playground because it is a graveyard. But considering there is a Titanic researcher on board, I do think the crew likely has some level of respect for what they are doing. I don’t know, maybe I’m giving too much of the benefit of the doubt, but that’s what my gut tells me

The thing I don’t understand is the recklessness behind all of this and the lack of safety precautions taken by OceanGate. People do visit historic tombs and graveyards all the time simply because we’re curious beings. But the difference with this graveyard is that it’s 12,000 feet deep in the middle of the ocean

MOO

Sorry, graphic question :

If there are bodies/body parts, can they be retrieved for a respectful burial ?
Because if not -- no one should be going down to the Titanic wreck either in person or remotely with a camera sub. ever again, because the remains would be there for some time ?
Not saying other wrecks shouldn't be explored for risk takers.
Just not this one !
The initial tragedy was sad enough, and now it's even more of a grave site.
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member