Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine they would make that announcement without it being the Titan.

I was just looking for the link again ... I read a little while ago that there are two wives on nearby boats.

I would think that they need to be sensitive to everything that is going on in their presence.

ETA: Found the link ... "Two of the trapped men’s wives were on ships at the surface monitoring the operation."

Debris found in search for missing sub

...Coast Guard says 'debris field' found in Titan search area​

Daniel Arkin
The U.S. Coast Guard said in a tweet at 11:48 a.m. ET that a remotely operated vehicle discovered a "debris field" in the Titan vessel search area.

"Experts within the unified command are evaluating the information," the Coast Guard said.

Officials are planning to hold a news briefing at 3 p.m. ET.

In a way it’s a relief - let’s face it at this time they were not going to be found alive.

I’d prefer this outcome than the thought of them being sat down there for 4 days until oxygen ran out.

Least this way it was over fast and they probably all had no idea.

When I read "debris field," I immediately imagined a situation where the submersible had crashed into a part of the Titanic wreck and those pieces had been carried by the currents (in a way that made it obvious this was a recent event and not simply part of the 100+ year old debris field), but everyone else seems to be thinking it means an implosion?

My own personal assumption is still that the submersible failed shortly after the last ping, but "debris field" is vague enough, and since there's numerous scenarios (crash, implosion) that would create a debris field as well, so I don't know that it really tells us much yet.

I’m hesitant to say that it’s inherently disrespectful to simply view the wreckage of the titanic. It would definitely be disrespectful to treat it as a playground because it is a graveyard. But considering there is a Titanic researcher on board, I do think the crew likely has some level of respect for what they are doing. I don’t know, maybe I’m giving too much of the benefit of the doubt, but that’s what my gut tells me

The thing I don’t understand is the recklessness behind all of this and the lack of safety precautions taken by OceanGate. People do visit historic tombs and graveyards all the time simply because we’re curious beings. But the difference with this graveyard is that it’s 12,000 feet deep in the middle of the ocean

MOO

During an interview with the journalist who went down to view the Titanic in a submersible many years ago, he said that the passengers all joined together in a moment of silence in memory of those who lost their lives on the Titanic. It was very respectful.

I do this when visiting museum exhibits from Egypt with ancient sarcophagi. And on various other occasions involving similar historical contexts.

I don't have a problem with research excursions to the Titanic. I believe most are handled respectfully.

When I read "debris field," I immediately imagined a situation where the submersible had crashed into a part of the Titanic wreck and those pieces had been carried by the currents, but everyone else seems to be thinking it means an implosion?

My own personal assumption is still that the submersible failed shortly after the last ping, but "debris field" is vague enough, and since there's numerous scenarios (crash, implosion) that would create a debris field as well, so I don't know that it really tells us much yet.
I can only speak for myself on this. I just want to believe they didn't suffer. I think that's why I want to hope that the debris means implosion. But you are correct, until the presser we won't know for sure.

IMHO, this is the primary reason it was being held up by the US government (or however the company worded it). Because they need THREE military planes to transport the ROV and its equipment to the search location, and they have to work around passenger flights to get it done.

Alistair Varrie, head of aerodrome operations for Ports of Jersey said: "It's quite an unusual aircraft for us to have in here, it's about as big as it gets for us here".

He added that it had been "quite challenging" to keep the airport open with passenger flights running.

He said the C17 would take the ROV, and another two C17s are expected to arrive at Jersey Airport later to collect additional equipment.

Mr Varrie explained: "We can only accommodate one aircraft at a time, so the current aircraft on the ground will depart with its load and travel off presumably to Canada or stop to refuel on route.

"The second aircraft will come in to pick up a second load of equipment, and then the third aircraft will come and pick up the loading equipment that was needed to be brought in because we've got nothing on island that is capable of servicing this type of aircraft."
I agree completely. I know there has been a lot of noise about the US delaying Magellan, but when you think about all the moving parts that are happening with this rescue and I’m sure a lot of education happening about submersibles in the US Coast Guard and Navy that they probably didn’t have before. Especially understanding the depth that each of these machines/robots would be able to get to.

I feel badly for the US Coast Guard, etc. that is being lambasted for not accepting this help earlier. In my mind, those making the decisions are making the best decision that they can with the information that they have at the time.

I’m grateful not to be in that position myself.

MOO

#BREAKING Officials with @USCGNortheast are set to share their findings from the Horizon Arctic’s ROV near the #Titanic at 3 p.m. ET. Live Updates: https://bit.ly/43Y9qAT on @WFLA

Updated: Jun 22, 2023 / 12:19 PM EDT

A remotely operated vehicle piloted by a crew aboard the Horizon Arctic support vessel discovered a debris field on the sea floor within the search area near the Titanic, the US Coast Guard said Thursday.

Officials said that “experts within the unified command” are evaluating the latest information.

First Coast Guard District commander Rear Adm. John Mauger, and First Coast Guard District response coordinator Capt. Jamie Frederick, are set to hold a press conference at 3 p.m. to discuss the latest findings.

This is a developing story. Stay up to date on the latest from News Channel 8 on-air and on the go with the free WFLA News Channel 8 mobile app.

I guess this outcome, a debris field, means that they were gone before we’d even heard about this disaster.

A mixed blessing, IMO.

Likely an instantaneous death, with the cause to be determined, if the debris can be retrieved.

After all the information we’ve gotten about the water pressure‘s effect on the human body, I imagine there’s nothing left of them. Then the current at the bottom of the ocean would disperse whatever there was.

Even if they had time to write letters to loved ones, which I doubt, once the sub was breached everything would be lost at sea.

I guess.

It's actually crazy to see from the image above that a MILITARY submarine that's being built with every detail in mind has an operational depth of 300m (1,000 ft) and the Titan sub that didn't even adhere to all the necessary regulations would go to 3,800m (12,500ft).
I totally agree. 'Crazy' is the operative word.

Sorry, graphic question :

If there are bodies/body parts, can they be retrieved for a respectful burial ?
Because if not -- no one should be going down to the Titanic wreck either in person or remotely with a camera sub. ever again, because the remains would be there for some time ?
Not saying other wrecks shouldn't be explored for risk takers.
Just not this one !
The initial tragedy was sad enough, and now it's even more of a grave site.
Imo.
My very amateur understanding is that there likely won't be any large parts to recover. Think of someone standing very close to a high explosion. To use a crude term from bomb disposal, I think it's a situation of the victims being reduced to 'pink mist' rather than a body, or body parts. The forces involved in an implosion at that depth... they are absolutely unforgiving.

In all likelihood, IMO, the five who went down several days ago will remain there, with the hundreds of others from over a century ago.

It's what I expected, from when I speculated about it on the first few pages of the thread, but I am indescribably sorry I was right.

MOO

I can't imagine they would make that announcement without it being the Titan.
I agree. The officer in command of the Coast Guard command center made it clear that they were working closely with the families of the Titan sub passengers, and it was clear that he didn't want to say anything that hadn't been first discussed with the family, and he refused to comment on issues that would add to their grief, such as time lines of oxygen depletion, etc. So to send out this announcement about a debris field, there must be very good reason to believe the debris is related to Titan. And that they have already been in contact with family members about this finding.

In a way it’s a relief - let’s face it at this time they were not going to be found alive.

I’d prefer this outcome than the thought of them being sat down there for 4 days until oxygen ran out.

Least this way it was over fast and they probably all had no idea.
If the debris filed is indeed from the Titan imploding, I hope that that happened soon after the final ping and not, for instance, days later if the submersible was stuck on the wreckage of the Titanic and broke as the occupants were trying to use the electric thrusters to get free.

If the submersible imploded early on, the question arises, what was the banging sound? But as experts have noted, it such noises could have many causes, including perhaps debris banging into other debris or into the wreckage of the Titanic. Or, though I'm sure searchers tried to rule this out, maybe the something about the searching vessels caused the banging.

Searchers were presumably always going to look near the Titanic. But also, sometimes the things that lead you to find a missing object, person, or pet are coincidental and not directly related to what you're looking for.

JMO

If the debris is from the Titan imploding, isn’t it surprising that there’s actually debris big enough to see?

In all of the implosion videos I've seen, the capsule is intact, it's just kind of sucked in. Maybe if it was an implosion, the debris field is made up of the parts other than the capsule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia