Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Coast Guard has scheduled a news conference for 3 p.m. in Boston to discuss the discovery of the debris field. The debris was located by a remotely operated vehicle that reached the ocean floor Thursday.

Before the remote vehicle reached the floor, the search for the missing submersible in the North Atlantic Ocean was concentrated to the area where "banging" noises were detected underwater, though officials were unsure of the source of the sound.

“The ocean is a very complex place — human sounds, nature sounds — and it’s very difficult to determine the source of those sounds," Carl Hartsfield, director and senior program manager of Oceanographic Systems Laboratory, said at the news conference. “The noises have been described as banging noises, but they have to put the whole picture together in context and they have to eliminate potential manmade sources other than the [missing OceanGate Expeditions vessel] Titan.”

The Titan has a 96-hour oxygen supply, which expired as of Thursday morning—though an expert told BBC News that those onboard might survive longer than expected.

"It depends on how cold they get and how effective they are at conserving oxygen," Dr. Ken LeDez, a hyperbaric medicine expert at Memorial University in St John's, Newfoundland, told the outlet, adding that shivering will use up a lot of oxygen, while wrapping up in a huddle can help to conserve heat.

I think the best we can hope for is that the vessel imploded and they knew nothing, and the next best we can hope for is that they got stuck on something and hypothermia took them quickly before they started struggling for air. I really hate to think of them floating out there somewhere hoping for rescue until the air ran out.
IMO I think the best we can hope for isn't implosion, it's what's pointed out in @dotr's post above.

'Freezing temperatures could help prolong life'​

Experts believe conditions on board might actually help the passengers stay alive for longer.
A spokesperson for the Explorer Club, which is assisting with the rescue, said: “While the planned life support supply depletes, we believe crew conservation and the near freezing temperatures could prolong life support by some time and the crew knows this.”

One of those lessons really should be DONT DO IT, there is no need to send humans down to that depth, there is a reason we can't go down there. Even most marine life, that actually belongs in the ocean, can't go down that far.

There is nothing to be gained by having actual humans down there IMO.

As a sidenote, my personal opinion on a sight seeing tour to a watery tomb is that its wrong, but that's just me.
THIS. I think this is what bothers me most about this whole thing. It’s so senseless. There is absolutely zero reason for the good of humanity involved. It was aight seeing and thrill seeking (I don’t blame the victims for that. It’s something we’re all guilty of to different extremes, I’m just stating a fact) We don’t even need to be researching the titanic imo. We know what happened to it, where it happened, and cruise ships have VASTLY improved since then. Nothing more to be gained and no reason to go down there. Let the dead Rest In Peace and quit toying with their burial ground. All moo and no disrespect meant to these victims. Sometimes it is what it is.

They were apparently searching with the ROVs along the Titan's planned route, then they came across the debris field.

Rear Admiral John Mauger, who is leading the operation, previously had told Sky News that the rescue team have ROVs that are searching for Titan using the sub’s original planned route.

Debris found in search for missing sub

If there is a debris field from the Titan, I wonder what caused the banging/noises that (apparently) drew them to that area.

Theories include: use of bilge pumps by any one of the 20-30 ships already in the area. The buoys that pick up the sound are at the surface and several sound experts say it's unlikely banging would still sound like banging if the source were 13,000 feet below.

Bilge pumps often operate on timers and are sometimes shut off when not needed.

Also, the part of the Titan that the passengers were in was made of carbon fiber; not metal. There was no steel in the Titan, only carbon fiber and titanium, neither of which would create an echoing "banging" type sound when struck or tapped (and not sure the occupants would have wanted to hit the interior of their vessel with some big hard object).

Other theories include use of generators or propeller engine noise.

Matthew Schanck, search and rescue expert and founder of MarSAR International told Insider Wednesday: "We've gotta be cautious not to get too excited that this sound is coming from the craft,"

"There's a massive metal wreck down there — the Titanic — the banging could be something as simple as a piece of that moving in the current or something to do with the wreck itself," said Schanck.

The hull of the submersible is said to be made of carbon fiber, which would more likely make an undetectable "dull thud" than a tapping noise, Former Rear Admiral Chris Parry, a retired officer in Britain's Royal Navy, told Talk TV....
But the Titanic shipwreck itself may be sending out its own noises, some experts claim.

"You get a lot of mechanical noise in the ocean," Parry told TalkTV. "Trying to differentiate it from tapping noises, as it were, I'm afraid is a fool's errand."

And another expert says that some sea life could produce banging sounds.

Sorry, graphic question :

If there are bodies/body parts, can they be retrieved for a respectful burial ?
Because if not -- no one should be going down to the Titanic wreck either in person or remotely with a camera sub. ever again, because the remains would be there for some time ?
Not saying other wrecks shouldn't be explored for risk takers.
Just not this one !
The initial tragedy was sad enough, and now it's even more of a grave site.
Imo.
I agree nobody should mess with anything with this ship ever again she has really shown her power

I doubt it.

My thing is that the passengers in the sub had no problem going down into the area of a sea burial site. What makes them different than the 100s of people who died in the titanic?

I do agree with you that the titanic should be left alone, it should've been left alone a long long time ago
I didn't say that the poor souls lost (that's what it's looking like, anyway) recently -- are any different.

I am compassionate towards the passengers in the initial tragedy, and also in this most recent event.

There are those who go to Gettysburg in order to honor the lives lost in the civil war conflict, a way to remember them and not let the men be forgotten, imo.
So visiting a burial site is not in itself a disrespectful action to take; imo.

There are some coworkers of mine who visited the site of the World Trade Center to reflect and to lay some flowers (even though there are no graves at the site), and iirc there are some memorials set up in Vietnam to honor the victims who lost their lives.
M00.

Last edited:
In the first comments from Pakistan since the Titan vanished, Pakistani Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mumtaz Zahra said Thursday that officials have confidence in the search efforts.

“We would not like to speculate on the circumstances of this incident and we would also like to respect the wishes of the Dawood family that their privacy may be respected,” she said.

The search for the missing submersible that was exploring the wreckage of the Titanic has entered a critical stage. The point at which the U.S. Coast Guard had estimated the vessel’s oxygen could run out — 96-hours after its departure — has passed, but Rear Adm. John Mauger said Thursday that the search-and-rescue mission would not stop. A remote vehicle exploring the search area Thursday afternoon discovered a debris field, a finding authorities are evaluating, the Coast Guard announced.

• The Coast Guard announced that a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) launched by a Canadian vessel hit the sea floor Thursday and has begun searching for the missing submersible. The ROV was deployed by the Canadian vessel Horizon Arctic. Another ROV is on the way, according to the company that owns the vehicle.

I doubt it.

My thing is that the passengers in the sub had no problem going down into the area of a sea burial site. What makes them different than the 100s of people who died in the titanic?

I do agree with you that the titanic should be left alone, it should've been left alone a long long time ago

JMO. The passengers of the Titanic could be compared to the people who were buying the tickets to “Concorde” flights. Nothing special. For their money, they wanted to travel with comfort and enjoy the advancements of modern civilization.

The travelers and explorers are different. They are from Umberto Nobile’s, Roald Amundsen’s, captain Scott’s type. They prepare, sometimes well, sometimes not. Personality-wise, I am not surprised that they disregard advices. They are very curious, somewhat impulsive and eventually, rely only on themselves. (How many of Magellan’s ships reached the destination? But we owe him).

I don’t know if Titanic is special. For example, in Hawaii, we twice went to the Pearl Harbor museum and visited the Arizona. There are many such sites. I believe that people and countries who rob she crashed ships are horrible and we need tighter laws against this; as to merely watching, there is nothing wrong in it.

The only difference is that some expect the best, the newest ones and the unique for their money, but in a way, it also drives the development. The next similar enterprise will belong to another company and take better account of the safety issues.

My very amateur understanding is that there likely won't be any large parts to recover. Think of someone standing very close to a high explosion. To use a crude term from bomb disposal, I think it's a situation of the victims being reduced to 'pink mist' rather than a body, or body parts. The forces involved in an implosion at that depth... they are absolutely unforgiving.

In all likelihood, IMO, the five who went down several days ago will remain there, with the hundreds of others from over a century ago.

It's what I expected, from when I speculated about it on the first few pages of the thread, but I am indescribably sorry I was right.

MOO

Considering the situation, and that now we know there is no chance of rescue, this is the best outcome. No suffering, no terror, no fear. If loss of life was inevitable, this was the best way for the victims :(.

In all of the implosion videos I've seen, the capsule is intact, it's just kind of sucked in. Maybe if it was an implosion, the debris field is made up of the parts other than the capsule.

Somewhere there's a video of an experiment conducted on an imploding submersible at 6000 feet below. It went from visible to invisible/pulverished in 1/1500th of a second.

Most of the tests are at depths where submarines usually go (1500-2000 feet below).

The Titan was ~13,000 feet below. So, as one science writer said, it would be like having the moon smash into Earth with crushing force (only, in this case, all that force exerted on one tiny object).

I think it's fair to say that no one has video of a submersible imploding that far below. Half a mile is considered a great distance, compared to what actual military submarines can do.

(The link is a poorly formatted but fascinating article on the study of pressure under the ocean, and humans who tried to go deep).

IMO.

In all of the implosion videos I've seen, the capsule is intact, it's just kind of sucked in. Maybe if it was an implosion, the debris field is made up of the parts other than the capsule.

I would expect the two titanium hemispheres to be largely intact and recognisable, though probably twisted and deformed. The carbon fiber tube is such an unusual structure that I really have no idea how it would react. It might be shredded to pieces or it might be sitting on the sea floor largely intact.

In any case, I expect the debris will be recognisable to the experts who have been searching for it. They'll almost certainly know what they've found.

My very amateur understanding is that there likely won't be any large parts to recover. Think of someone standing very close to a high explosion. To use a crude term from bomb disposal, I think it's a situation of the victims being reduced to 'pink mist' rather than a body, or body parts. The forces involved in an implosion at that depth... they are absolutely unforgiving.

In all likelihood, IMO, the five who went down several days ago will remain there, with the hundreds of others from over a century ago.

It's what I expected, from when I speculated about it on the first few pages of the thread, but I am indescribably sorry I was right.

MOO

I agree, no large parts. Titanium is known to withstand enormous pressure, so the two end-caps of the Titan might still be discernible. If they can get pictures of it (and I'm sure they will), they will learn quite a bit about what happened.

I would assume that only titanium is left and it is probably twisted and badly deformed.

And my prediction is that no way are there going to be any bodies to recover. I agree that the bodies are in their final resting places and yes, I remember your speculation. I also agree with you that there were no bodies, per se.

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member