Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not the person you’re replying to, but here’s some info:

(Over on Reddit I’ve seen lots of discussion of, and pictures of, how shoddy the whole setup was, including a lot of parts from basic consumer electronics kind of thrown together.)
TY !
I was looking around and iirc this was linked in the first thread ?
Shoddy construction and tbh I'm surprised there wasn't an accident before this.
Not that anyone wanted or expected anything bad to happen !
But my .02 there were red flags and warning signs in abundance that needed to be addressed.
Imo.

About the time, I have asked several times previously in my Titanic groups. Because my oldest was born ca exactly 85 years later. Not even a pro (diver etc) can give a proper time.
I only know they said oxygen would have gone out some five hours ago.

Still here hoping these pros are working hard to get to the surface, please, please!!!!

I'm borrowing this from a comment on a Titanic YT video...

Even after 108 years she is still a titan, her anchor crane still has traces of white paint, the brass still gleams but she slumbers silently in her grave. It’s painful and beautiful at the same time, for me it’s the white paint everywhere you look traces of white paint around window frames, portholes, rivers. This was once a living breathing ocean liner. Now her passengers, crew, the men whom built her are gone and she remains crumbling decaying but still proud and defiant almost as though the ship doesn’t know she’s dead.
This is just beautiful

The debris field from the Titan would stand out due to its materials, and possibly its texture and coloration. It wouldn't have rusticles, like the Titanic, and there would be debris that had remains of materials such as titanium and possibly the viewport. There might be large fragments of the carbon fiber. I don't think there's any known modern submersibles lost in the area.

@lookner

"A rescue expert says the debris found in the search for Titan was 'a landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible.'" (from Sky News)

https://news.sky.com/story/titanic-submarine-missing-live-updates-submersible-cannot-be-opened-from-inside-time-running-out-on-oxygen-supply-waiver-mentions-death-three-times-12905748

Taken from the above (paste in quotes, I’m on an annoying mobile device):

“A rescue expert says the debris found in the search for Titan was "a landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible".

David Mearns, who is friends with two of the passengers on board Titan, says he is part of a WhatsApp group involving The Explorers Club.

Mr Mearns told Sky News the president of the club, who is "directly connected" to the ships on the site, said to the group: "It was a landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible."

Mr Mearns says: "Again this is an unconventional submarine, that rear cover is the pointy end of it and the landing frame is the little frame that it seems to sit on."

He says this confirms that it is the submersible.

Mr Mearns says he knows both British billionaire Hamish Harding and the French sub pilot Paul-Henri Nargeolet.

"It means the hull hasn't yet been found but two very important parts of the whole system have been discovered and that would not be found unless its fragmented," he added.

Mr Mearns also spoke about the fairing of the submarine - shaped like a fishtail - and said: "If the faring is off and the frame is off - then something really bad has happened to the entire structure."

"On the news that we have yet, they haven't found the hull of which the men are inside."”

While I'm sorry for all on board and their family and friends, my heart especially bleeds for that 19 year old kid </3 My son mentioned that this sub also had individual air tanks for each passenger stowed on board. Are those in addition to the 96 hours of air that's been quoted? Anyone know how long those would provide air?

I firmly believe the sub imploded around the time communications stopped, which would be a relief in terms of almost no suffering to its inhabitants versus the awful possibility of slowly suffocating inside. JMHO and of course wishing for a more positive outcome the entire time, though must state that I believe serious questions need to be asked of the company.

To be fair, there is a difference between an unforeseen problem that occurs during an inherently dangerous activity, and a problem that is utterly foreseeable and ignored. There are so many reports already (and most likely more to come IMO) that place this in the latter category.

Probably anyone with decision making responsibility at OceanGate has or will soon lawyer up, but it would be really nice to hear the rationale for not addressing the known problems and safety issues
Money and denial seem to be the two largest factors… they fired and sued a man for speaking the truth. And now the CEO can’t speak up again so they have to go on his past words

It looks like the Atalante ROV might have been instrumental in this find. This was a screenshot from 1:15 pm EST.

It is quite amazing that they were able to get down to the sea floor so fast once they were on site.

If it is debris from the Titan, I say Rest in Peace to the crew & passengers.

MOO

Attachments

• 4B0A47D8-98AE-4DCF-B4F9-3C7833970BA4.png
    4B0A47D8-98AE-4DCF-B4F9-3C7833970BA4.png
    336.2 KB · Views: 51
I think it probably would depend how close it was, but I imagine there would have been some kind of pulse when the implosion happened.

MOO

The implosion likely happened at least 12,000 feet below the surface. The sound buoys were not in place at that time.

It would be like standing on the beach and hoping to hear a sound from the top of Mauna Loa, or even like being at the edge of Kilauea (half the altitude but way closer to the top of Mauna Loa) and expecting to hear the sounds of an eruption at Kilauea up top on Mauna Loa. Or any loud noise.

Implosions measured at 6000 feet below sea level last 1/1500 of a second. Our ears transmit sound at 1/250th of a second. Just like we can't see bullets, we very likely can't hear very brief sounds.

The sound would indeed have been a kind of pulse. The Titan was so small that barely a ripple would have occurred in those crushing depths. As to how far that very brief sound would travel, I have no clue. I also have no clue how loud the implosion would have been in air, it was very small. It is not an explosion, after all, but a collapse down into tiny particles. The titanium parts are the best bet for figuring out what happened.

IMO.

If I'm reading this right, it looks like Polar Prince is heading out of there

But simply ask yourself, would you board a vessel like this? If no, what are the reasons why? Beyond the previously unpublicized safety concerns, common sense safety concerns would prevent many. Bottom line these men weren’t coerced…IMO only the 19 year old was extremely misguided.

I know what the landing frame was, but does anyone know what the rear cover was on the Titan? I can't picture it.

I know what the landing frame was, but does anyone know what the rear cover was on the Titan? I can't picture it.

The pointy part

Pasting from the Sky quotes:

“Mr Mearns says: "Again this is an unconventional submarine, that rear cover is the pointy end of it and the landing frame is the little frame that it seems to sit on."”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader