Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you confusing the text messaging with the acoustic link system that news sources are referring to as messaging?

Source

There's been several people who have been on the sub and expeditions saying that the communication systems would stop working during the dives
One example, citing a BBC News interview

I"m not confusing text messages with anything. The navigational system relied on the mother ship ascertaining the physical position of the Titan, through (apparently) sonar. Then, they texted the position to the pilot of the Titan (who had no independent means of ascertaining coordinates).

The Titan also had a system where it automatically pinged the mother ship (which could then record its location via the pings, I suppose, although I can't find any statements in MSM supporting that - but surely the pings had that purpose?)

So there was a ping + text message system. And that I've read in at least 10 different articles.

The Daily Mail summarized the situation using other reporting here:

The Titan subs have no way of directing themselves under water. Instead, they rely on text messages from the mothership, instructing them where to go.

The missing tourist sub is classified as a submersible, not a submarine, because it does not function as an autonomous craft, and relies instead on a support platform
(From the above article).

I apologize in advance if this has been answered. SOS is too short of a word to search for on this site.

Does anyone know if the banging noises are being made in an SOS pattern of sounds?
I would imagine if they were it would identified immediately and they would able to assertain that it was definitely the Titan

Presser-

-100% search and rescue mission operation. They operate with hope.

-Canadian P3 detected ‘banging sounds’
yesterday and this morning in one location

-they are also investigating the last known location

-experts are analyzing the sounds, they won’t comment on the reports of the sounds coming at 30 minute intervals

-the object found is not related to the Titan

-two ROVs are in the water, capable of diving 4000 metres, one is investigating the sounds

-will not discuss hours of oxygen left, ‘it’s just one data point’

They mentioned no such thing.

They are uncertain if the noises are manmade.
Thank you. That's a Q I would have asked if I was a reporter at the live conference! An SOS pattern would tell us all so much more than just banging sounds. Banging could be many different things from various sources. An SOS is pretty darn specific and I'd think it would just about 100% tell us it's coming from the sub!

I was hoping one of them was a Boy Scout and using Morse code
You'd think the CEO would make sure they all understood how to do that as part of the 'training'. Kinda like how airplane stewards show you how to perform live-saving measures (how to put on your mask, and in what order) and how to put on lifejackets when you board ships.

I apologize in advance if this has been answered. SOS is too short of a word to search for on this site.

Does anyone know if the banging noises are being made in an SOS pattern of sounds?
That’s rumoured, but at the press conference today they said the sounds are still being analyzed. He wouldn’t comment on the specifics (eg, reports of the banging in 30 minute intervals)

You'd think the CEO would make sure they all understood how to do that as part of the 'training'. Kinda like how airplane stewards show you how to perform live-saving measures (how to put on your mask, and in what order) and how to put on lifejackets when you board ships.

Well, I would rather expect the diver to have the experience. But I can imagine that they all expected everything to be fine, and “if anything happens, it happens so fast”. To be trapped for a few days might have not been anyone’s consideration.

From the practical side, I don’t know what is better to have, five people consuming oxygen in a narrow space or four people and a body in a narrow space and aerobic conditions. It is very toxic, and the door can’t be opened. It might happen naturally, though, if someone is very old, but not a good scenario.
My DH suggested maybe it is the young son banging(possibly he is last man standing or the healthiest) and he does not know Morse Code or maritime procedures ,etc…just banging. TG.

JMO

I think the French Navy vet would be trained in how to communicate underwater and would follow his training in this emergency situation. He would know about sub-surface communication and sonar/accoustic analysis. If he is making banging noises in patterns that are on the hour and on the half hour, this maybe French Navy protocol, but the U.S. Navy would have to discern that as part of their analysis.

The good thing, is that they heard it again this morning, so new information to analyze and work with, and compare with yesterday's sounds and timing.

What we learned about the banging noises​

The press conference largely focused on the mysterious 'banging' noises. This is what we know about these noises:
  • The first noises were heard by a Canadian P-3 aircraft yesterday
  • Following these noises, Coast Guard moved search teams to investigate
  • They are searching the area where the noises were detected
  • More noises were heard today as well
  • Unfortunately, the ocean is a noisy place and it remains unclear what the noises are exactly

More key details from the Coast Guard's update​

• The area of the search has expanded - the surface search is now twice the size of the US state of Connecticut, and the sub-surface search is approximately 2.5 miles (4km) deep
  • Capt Frederick says "We have to remain optimistic and hopeful when we are in a search and rescue case."
  • A French team is bringing some "state of the art equipment" to help in the search

Didn't one of them (Mr Harding?) have a friend who cancelled at the last minute? So maybe the young man, who may have been there just to see his father off, was easily talked into taking his place. :(

Diagrams of site, location of aircraft, marine vessels and estimates of new arrivals to site.

I"m not confusing text messages with anything. The navigational system relied on the mother ship ascertaining the physical position of the Titan, through (apparently) sonar. Then, they texted the position to the pilot of the Titan (who had no independent means of ascertaining coordinates).
It's not text messaging in the traditional way which is what your post made it sound like from the phrasing used so my bad. A similar system was used on the Deepsea Challenger which has a lot of information about it if you're interested (or anyone else is)

Anyway, as I said in the post the communication system dropped out very frequently from a number of reports and this time it didn't come back for whatever reason - though as I would understand communicating under water is very difficult so may not have been a "warning" of things going wrong necessarily

I'm wondering if the GPS system was somehow connected to the acoustic messaging system though because without the messaging system working the GPS is sort of useless as it's primary purpose seems to be connected to the messaging system rather than part of a safety system from everything I've read?

After hearing the story from the previous passenger ( Arthur Loibl)
who reported that the Titan had landed on the deck of the Titanic I can't help but wonder if they attempted this action again and there was a collapse of the deck which caused them to get tangled in the wreckage.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member