Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rear Adm John Mauger says there “doesn’t appear to be any connection” between the underwater noises detected in the search-and-rescue mission and the location on the seafloor.

This was a “catastrophic implosion” of the vessel which would have “generated a significant… sound down there that the sonar buoys would have picked up”, he says.

US Coast Guard to begin demobilising personnel over next 24 hours​

Rear Admiral Mauger says right now there are nine vessels on the scene, as the search for more details continues.

"We have medical personnel on the scene, we have other technicians on scene, and we will begin to demobilise personnel and vessels from the scene over the course of the next 24 hours," he says.

"This is an incredibly difficult and dangerous environment to work in."

Debris consistent with catastrophic implosion - US Coast Guard​

The debris field is consistent with a catastrophic implosion of the vessel, Rear Admiral Mauger says.

Throughout the search, the coast guard had listening devices in the water, but did not detect any catastrophic failures, he reiterated.

Just dropping in to say that I thought the Admiral was extremely patient, direct and honorable in his responses. There was no calling out of the explorers risky endeavor as such. I appreciated his candor and humility on behalf of the families.

Rest in Peace.
MOO

Rear Adm John Mauger says there “doesn’t appear to be any connection” between the underwater noises detected in the search-and-rescue mission and the location on the seafloor.

This was a “catastrophic implosion” of the vessel which would have “generated a significant… sound down there that the sonar buoys would have picked up”, he says.

That sounds as though they knew all along that there’d been a catastrophic implosion—if ‘the sonar buoys would have picked up’ the sound, then didn’t the sonar buoys pick it up?

Or is he clarifying that it wasn’t a case of losing communication, and then having a catastrophic implosion a day later?

Last edited:
When Rear Adm John Mauger spoke at the 3 pm ET press conference today he received questions as to when the implosion occurred. He explained that sonars placed in the area would have picked up the implosion event.

Am I correct in assuming the sonar was put in place as part of the search and rescue process? If so, do we know when the sonar readings began?

8 min ago

Listening devices did not record any sign of a catastrophic implosion during the search, Coast Guard says​

Listening devices set up during the search for the Titan submersible did not record any sign of a catastrophic implosion, which is believed to have killed the sub's passengers, Rear Adm. John Mauger said at a news conference Thursday.
A reporter had asked Mauger whether there was any suggestion that a difference in the timing or speed of the rescue effort could have resulted in the occupants being saved.
"The debris field is consistent with a catastrophic implosion of the vessel," Mauger said.
"While we were prosecuting the search, we had listening devices in the water throughout and did not hear any signs of catastrophic failure from those," he continued.
"We're going to continue to document the information there, and understand based on all the information we have, the timeline," Mauger added.

Last edited:
That sounds as though they knew all along that there’d been a catastrophic implosion—if ‘the sonar buoys would have picked up’ the sound, then didn’t the sonar buoys pick it up?

I don’t think the sonar buoys are a permanent thing, they were part of the rescue mission. The inference being that the implosion happened before the search started and the sonar buys were in place.

I may be wrong but I thought the buoys were deployed when the search began. They weren't already there. So if no explosion was heard, it must have happened earlier.
JMO

This James Cameron (Titanic movie director) statement from 2018 is something to think about (imo)...

“I call it bearing witness. I get to bear witness to a miracle that’s down there all the time,” Cameron told 60 Minutes Australia in 2018 of his deep-sea explorations. “This is not just some, you know rich guy ego thing. This is about, you’ve got so much time on this planet, so much life, so much breath in your body. You have to do something. If you should be fortunate enough to make some money and have some capital, some working capital, why not put it into your dream.”

2m ago
Asked if the sub could have collided with the Titanic, Carl Hartsville of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution says the wreck lies approximately 1,600 feet from the Titanic.

That area does not have any debris of Titanic, he says.

It is a smooth bottom there. To my knowledge and anything I’ve seen there’s no Titanic wreckage in that area.
The debris found of the Titan sub lies “200 plus metres” from the bow of the Titanic wreck, he says.

It’s consistent with the location of last communication for an implosion in the water column. The size of the debris field is consistent with that implosion in the water column.

I don’t think the sonar buoys are a permanent thing, they were part of the rescue mission. The inference being that the implosion happened before the search started and the sonar buys were in place.
That's what I'm thinking as well that the sonar buoys were put into place as part of the rescue mission. Now, I'm wondering if the crew on the mother ship heard the implosion since they were almost directly overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321