Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Explainer

Missing Titanic submersible: what is the Titan tourist sub and what might have happened to it?​

[...]

What is the Titan and what can it do?​

[...]
It has a 96-hour bottled oxygen supply, as of roughly 6am Sunday local time, according to David Concannon, an adviser to trip operator OceanGate, which would in theory last until Thursday morning . However, that limit would be affected by the breathing rate of those inside the craft, especially if there are tourists onboard with limited diving experience.

What might have gone wrong?​

It is too early to say what has happened but experts have offered several of the most likely scenarios, from becoming tangled in wreckage of the Titanic, to a power failure or an issue with the sub’s communications system.

The wreckage of the Titanic, which lies about 3,800 metres (12,500ft) down on the ocean floor is surrounded by debris from the disaster more than a century ago. “There are parts of it all over the place. It’s dangerous,” said Frank Owen OAM, a retired Royal Australian Navy official and submarine escape and rescue project director.

Contact was lost 1 hour 45 minutes into the Titan’s trip, suggesting the crew may have been close to, or at, the bottom, says Owen. The Titan has a maximum speed of three knots, but would be slower the deeper it goes.

In the case of becoming tangled, or a power or communications failure, the Titan would be equipped with drop weights, which can be released in an emergency, creating enough buoyancy to take it to the surface. The Titan has an array of signals, lighting, reflectors and other equipment it can use once on the surface to attract attention.

Another scenario is that there has been a leak in the pressure hull, in which case the prognosis is not good, said Alistair Greig, a professor of marine engineering at University College London.

“If it has gone down to the seabed and can’t get back up under its own power, options are very limited,” Greig said. “While the submersible might still be intact, if it is beyond the continental shelf, there are very few vessels that can get that deep, and certainly not divers.”

Chris Parry, a retired rear admiral with the British Royal Navy, told Sky News a seabed rescue was “a very difficult operation”.

“The actual nature of the seabed is very undulating. Titanic herself lies in a trench. There’s lots of debris around. So trying to differentiate with sonar in particular and trying to target the area you want to search in with another submersible is going to be very difficult indeed.”

What can be done to find it?​

US and Canadian aircraft are searching the area, as well as large ships, but the hunt was “complex” because crews do not know if the vessel has surfaced, meaning they must scour both the surface and the ocean depths, said Rear Admiral John Mauger, first district commander of the US Coast Guard, overseeing the search-and-rescue operation.

Concannon said officials were working to get a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) that can reach a depth of 6,000 metres (about 20,000ft) to the site as soon as possible.

These ROVs are dropped over the side of a vessel, to which it is connected by a “umbilical cord” that enables a pilot to operate its thrusters and also relay data in real-time from its sonar and camera systems.

However, the amount of wreckage of the Titanic on the ocean floor means it could take time to discern what is debris and what is the Titan. The search teams do at least have a starting point; the vessel’s position would have been tracked until the moment contact was lost.

The company’s managing director, Mark Butler, told the AP: “There is still plenty of time to facilitate a rescue mission, there is equipment on board for survival in this event,” Butler said. “We’re all hoping and praying he comes back safe and sound.”

Explainer

Missing Titanic submersible: what is the Titan tourist sub and what might have happened to it?​

[...]

What is the Titan and what can it do?​

[...]
It has a 96-hour bottled oxygen supply, as of roughly 6am Sunday local time, according to David Concannon, an adviser to trip operator OceanGate, which would in theory last until Thursday morning . However, that limit would be affected by the breathing rate of those inside the craft, especially if there are tourists onboard with limited diving experience.

What might have gone wrong?​

It is too early to say what has happened but experts have offered several of the most likely scenarios, from becoming tangled in wreckage of the Titanic, to a power failure or an issue with the sub’s communications system.

The wreckage of the Titanic, which lies about 3,800 metres (12,500ft) down on the ocean floor is surrounded by debris from the disaster more than a century ago. “There are parts of it all over the place. It’s dangerous,” said Frank Owen OAM, a retired Royal Australian Navy official and submarine escape and rescue project director.

Contact was lost 1 hour 45 minutes into the Titan’s trip, suggesting the crew may have been close to, or at, the bottom, says Owen. The Titan has a maximum speed of three knots, but would be slower the deeper it goes.

In the case of becoming tangled, or a power or communications failure, the Titan would be equipped with drop weights, which can be released in an emergency, creating enough buoyancy to take it to the surface. The Titan has an array of signals, lighting, reflectors and other equipment it can use once on the surface to attract attention.

Another scenario is that there has been a leak in the pressure hull, in which case the prognosis is not good, said Alistair Greig, a professor of marine engineering at University College London.

“If it has gone down to the seabed and can’t get back up under its own power, options are very limited,” Greig said. “While the submersible might still be intact, if it is beyond the continental shelf, there are very few vessels that can get that deep, and certainly not divers.”

Chris Parry, a retired rear admiral with the British Royal Navy, told Sky News a seabed rescue was “a very difficult operation”.

“The actual nature of the seabed is very undulating. Titanic herself lies in a trench. There’s lots of debris around. So trying to differentiate with sonar in particular and trying to target the area you want to search in with another submersible is going to be very difficult indeed.”

What can be done to find it?​

US and Canadian aircraft are searching the area, as well as large ships, but the hunt was “complex” because crews do not know if the vessel has surfaced, meaning they must scour both the surface and the ocean depths, said Rear Admiral John Mauger, first district commander of the US Coast Guard, overseeing the search-and-rescue operation.

Concannon said officials were working to get a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) that can reach a depth of 6,000 metres (about 20,000ft) to the site as soon as possible.

These ROVs are dropped over the side of a vessel, to which it is connected by a “umbilical cord” that enables a pilot to operate its thrusters and also relay data in real-time from its sonar and camera systems.

However, the amount of wreckage of the Titanic on the ocean floor means it could take time to discern what is debris and what is the Titan. The search teams do at least have a starting point; the vessel’s position would have been tracked until the moment contact was lost.

The company’s managing director, Mark Butler, told the AP: “There is still plenty of time to facilitate a rescue mission, there is equipment on board for survival in this event,” Butler said. “We’re all hoping and praying he comes back safe and sound.”

12:00 midnight local time for the area of the Titanic. So if they have lights and reflectors and are on the surface they should be visible, imo.

If they lost communication I’d think the safety protocol would be to surface, imo. Maybe they thought ‘ah, we’re close. Maybe it’s just a temporary glitch’ and carried on. With no communication maybe they are on the surface drifting.

"The odds are against them," Marquet said. "There's a ship in Boston that has this ability to either lower cable and connect to it or have a claw. It's still a thousand miles away."

Even if a vessel was able to locate the submersible and lower a cable, it's extremely difficult to safely navigate the waters and attach it, Marquet said.

"You've got to get it exactly right. It's sort of like ... getting one of those toys out of those arcade machines. In general, you miss," he said.

Rescuers do have one advantage, Marquet said, as weather conditions off the coast of Newfoundland are not rough and will not disturb any boat or vessel there.

Marquet said if the boat made it to the surface, the submersible crew would be able to open the hatch to allow for more oxygen while it was adrift.

Marquet told ABC that if the five people are still alive, they would be asked to sleep to conserve their oxygen.

"We would put the vast majority of the crew to sleep because that's when you're using the least amount of oxygen and you're expelling the least amount of carbon dioxide," he said.

The wreckage would be there, it just may not be recognizable. Kind of like crushing a soda can, it would squeeze to the point something gives, like a hatch popping off. A flat piece of steel would remain flat, but if there was a cavity inside something, it squeezes till the cavity is gone.
Given the composite materials of the sub, would it eventually float to the surface?

JMO

Bbm,
That would be wonderful !

Although wouldn't they have some way to signal someone, like flares ?
Or have a tracking device on the sub that could be picked up once they're on the surface ?

Yes. I don’t understand that either, why we aren’t hearing anything about how the sub was monitored or tracked. I can’t imagine that there was no way to do those things. We’ve been tracking submarines by sonar since WWII, yet they don’t know where they are. That is weird to me.

I've been reading various tweeters about this situation and I'm not sure if this is true. More than one person has said both the Canadian and US military have sound sensors in ocean water at all times and if the sub exploded, they would be aware. Anybody know if that's true?

You’re right.
it was called SOSUS and was developed after WW2. It has been updated and is now called the Integrated Undersea Surveillance System.

edit: typo

Who knows how reliable this is from the DM, but it is reporting that the sub "is understood to have last 'pinged' while it was directly above it's final destination - the Titanic."

The original source is The Times. Can anyone access The Times to read the article?
It makes sense that would be the last known location as it's an up-and-down thing, not purposed to traverse far in 'across' ways.

My take on it from what I've read so far is that it's most likely at the bottom, or attempted to surface. If it attempted to surface, then it seems most likely it would be floating, drifting, and waiting for the SAR. The oxygen should last until sometime Thursday, and they should be rationing their water supplies.

If at the bottom, however, it's either already destroyed or lost capability to surface, in which case there doesn't seem to be any way to raise it.

If they are still inside and alive, and at the bottom, I think they will be keeping each others spirits up, talking together of past adventures and being in the spirit of "we've done amazing things in our lives".

The airplane that went down, they had about a thousand mile or greater search zone on top of the vertical distance. With this I would think the horizontal region to be searched would be a lot less.

Being serious...but there is toilet :oops: right?

No?

I mean, I've been on much larger submersibles (in the Pacific) and no...there's no toilet. You are in your spot for the duration. By much larger I mean 2-5X as big. There were about 16 passengers - I think this one is a 2 passenger.

From what I hear, many many people are not happy once they are under water in a submersible. Or even getting into one (this one was almost certain launched at sea - and I'd say that being launched from sea is very scary, in and of itself...and that was in warmer waters than this)

Colder water is a factor as well as, um, maintenance issues with sea-going vessels.

IMO.

A UK billionaire, French submersible pilot and the CEO of a company that provides crewed submersibles are believed to be three of the people on board a missing vessel.

OceanGate Expeditions, a company that deploys vessels for deep sea expeditions, confirmed that one of its submersibles had gone missing in the Atlantic Ocean after taking passengers to see the wreck of the Titanic.

It seems so improbable that three highly educated and very rich men would put themselves at risk like this without some kind of backup plan.

No?

I mean, I've been on much larger submersibles (in the Pacific) and no...there's no toilet. You are in your spot for the duration. By much larger I mean 2-5X as big. There were about 16 passengers - I think this one is a 2 passenger.

From what I hear, many many people are not happy once they are under water in a submersible. Or even getting into one (this one was almost certain launched at sea - and I'd say that being launched from sea is very scary, in and of itself...and that was in warmer waters than this)

Colder water is a factor as well as, um, maintenance issues with sea-going vessels.

IMO.
actually there is a toilet on this one and it can carry 5 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members