Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBC Breakfast guest described the journey as "very relaxing, very comfortable" and even fell asleep on the way down to see the wreckage. "It couldn't be lower tech, you just drop down for 2 and half hours," Mike explained. "The ship is propelled by very tiny motors that look like a fan you would have on your desk and it is steered by an X-box joystick from a game system.

The more I read about this, the more of a batshit tin pot idea it sounds.
Makes me think of a sixth grade science project. I don't think OSHA was a part of the design. Doesn't appear to be any safety plan being applied at all. It's definitely considered a "confined space" and requires a rescue plan and a plan "B" in case something hits the 'proverbial fan'. JMO

Yes, there was what looked like a bowl and a plastic container for urine and a privacy screen. But inside the vessel the space is the size of a minivan. I’d personally be holding it or wearing depends. But if they’re alive they’re past that point of being shy.

They have limited food and water.

Hopefully if they’re alive they’re keeping calm and breathing easy so that they don’t use up too much oxygen.
The former Navy submarine captain quoted in the article posted above said that the Titan passengers need to sleep to minimize oxygen intake at this point, but I can't imagine they are able to sleep in this situation.

If what David Pogue had to say about how they reacted when the sub was unlocatable in the past is true, I bet they were hoping that the problem would fix itself. Shutting down the internet to stop people reporting it to the outside was how they handled it before. I bet they only contacted the Coast Guard when it became clear they had no alternative.

Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

MOO
Ugh. That’s not great.

Most likely US since they have taken the lead.

"OceanGate Expeditions is actually leading the underwater search area with assets we are bringing into the scene because they know that site better than anybody else in terms of the underwater search," he told MSNBC's Today Show.

Mauger said the U.S. coast guard is working in tandem with the Canadian Joint Rescue Command Centre, along with assets from the American air national guard.

The former Navy submarine captain quoted in the article posted above said that the Titan passengers need to sleep to minimize oxygen intake at this point, but I can't imagine they are able to sleep in this situation.
They may not have a choice... once the air starts getting thin and the CO2 builds up, they may all fall unconscious.

I know they SAY they still have air left if the hull is intact, but forgive me, but I'm not taking their estimated oxygen is gospel, since nothing else in this ramshackle thing seems to have been rigorously tested.

MOO

Where is this info that they waited eight hours to report it coming from?
The post I saw yesterday said contact was lost after ca 1.45hrs, and Coast Guard was contacted two hours after that. Which is too long imo, but not eight hours.
The to-and-back trip would have taken ca eight hours, was the times mixed up?
Looking for a proper link not sleaze media link. ty

Makes me think of a sixth grade science project. I don't think OSHA was a part of the design. Doesn't appear to be any safety plan being applied at all. It's definitely considered a "confined space" and requires a rescue plan and a plan "B" in case something hits the 'proverbial fan'. JMO

As soon as I read about the controller being from an old game system, I thought uh oh!!

Really quite bizarre that anyone would consider going to the bottom of the ocean in an unauthorized vehicle IMO.

I hope they are found alive but it doesn’t sound good at all.

Insurance plans wont pay up on these fellas.

OY--the NBC reporter just asked if the submersible could even be retrieved if it WAS found by the search ROVs--the response from the Coast Guard official was noncommittal at best. :(

The upshot of this press conference is that the focus is simply on SEARCHING for this missing submersible, not so much even about RETRIEVING it.

UNPOPULAR OPINION, but I'm kind of sickened by the schadenfreude that people seem to be expressing for these folks. Were they foolhardy? Yup. Were there about a billion ethically-better ways for these incredibly wealthy folks to spend their fortunes? Sure. IMO, though, that doesn't make it acceptable to treat their plight so cavalierly. I feel badly for them all as this is truly a horrifying situation to imagine being in, and I feel especially terrible for the man who's aboard with his 19 year old son as I imagine this was conceived as a once-in-a-lifetime father-son bonding experience and now it looks unlikely that they will be located in time to survive.

Last edited:
Where is this info that they waited eight hours to report it coming from?
The post I saw yesterday said contact was lost after ca 1.45hrs, and Coast Guard was contacted two hours after that. Which is too long imo, but not eight hours.
The to-and-back trip would have taken ca eight hours, was the times mixed up?
Looking for a proper link not sleaze media link. ty
OceanGate Expeditions, which operates the missing Titanic tourist submersible, waited eight hours before reporting that the vessel had disappeared.

The private company, which provides tours of the Titanic wreckage site for a stunning $250,000 a person, did not report that the Titan submersible was missing until 5:40 p.m. Sunday, the Daily Mail reported.

An adviser for OceanGate Expeditions blamed government bureaucracy for allegedly slowing down the rescue effort for the missing Titanic tourist submarine— but authorities claimed the company waited eight hours before reporting the disappearance.

Attorney David Concannon, who pulled out of Sunday’s dive at the last minute, told NewsNation that the equipment and crew needed to rescue the five missing passengers cannot be deployed until the Coast Guard authorizes the mission.

“They are mobilized. They’re sitting on the tarmac, ready to go,” Concannon said of the crew who surveyed the Titanic last year. “This equipment has been on the tarmac for hours.

“When I communicate with the US government, I get ‘out of office’ replies, not from everyone, but from key people that have a signoff on this,” he added. “That’s unacceptable. I don’t want to discourage the government officials that are helping because they’re doing their jobs, but we need to do it quicker.”

They may not have a choice... once the air starts getting thin and the CO2 builds up, they may all fall unconscious.

I know they SAY they still have air left if the hull is intact, but forgive me, but I'm not taking their estimated oxygen is gospel, since nothing else in this ramshackle thing seems to have been rigorously tested.

MOO

Yes, and it's not just about how much O2 is left. There will be too much CO2 building up and their bodies will not be able to deal with that. Plus, if there is a system failure, they will not be able to stay warm.

Feeling sick for the families right now !
Please let there be a miracle !

Awful to think they could still be alive and waiting to be rescued, until there’s no oxygen left. Doesn’t sound like the authorities have the faintest clue where it is, so far… I doubt they’re going to be able to hoist them up in time if they’ve sunk to the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nc1995